Post-1982 cars that Canada got and the United States didn't get

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 60 comments
  • 2,488 views
Some more:

As far as I know, you guys never got the '89-'91 Chevrolet Sprint, did you?
0004b.jpg

0004c.jpg

0004d.jpg


Available as a 3-door hatch, 5-door hatch, 4-door sedan, and 2-door convertible. It was our version of the Geo Metro.

Also, it's my understanding the States didn't get a Geo Metro sedan until '95. We had the Metro sedan from '92 to '94.
 
Omologato
In the US the Chevette had a Pontiac variant the T1000. Also, the US had a Pontiac Tempest in the late 80's early 90's, but it was a rebadged Daewoo, not the L Body Corsica knockoff that Canada had.
No - the Pontiac LeMans was the late-80s/early-90s re-badged Daewoo; the Pontiac Tempest of that area was a Canada-only version of the Chevrolet Corsica.

Firebird
As far as I know, you guys never got the '89-'91 Chevrolet Sprint, did you?

No - is that one for sale?

Incidentally, I'm not sure if we ever got a Suzuki Swift sedan, but I know you guys did in the late-80s and early-90s. Do you currently? Seems odd that it's badged as the Swift+ when there's no Swift.

And a few remarks/corrections:

Eagle Vista was sold from 89-92. (Sorry, I buggered up the years.)
Eagle 2000GTX was sold from 90-92.
As far as I can tell, Dodge 2000GTX was around for only one year ('89).

Great - thanks!
 
The359
Ford Grand Marquis (Ford doesn't sell a Crown Victoria in Canada, and Mercury doesn't exist there)
What? We've got tons of Crown Vic's. They're most of the police cars.
Also, if you think there aren't any Mercury's up here, please come and prove this to my insurance company and the front end of my car. Both of those are pretty sure I hit one.
 
Emohawk
What? We've got tons of Crown Vic's. They're most of the police cars.

The Ford Crown Victoria's last year on the retail market in Canada was 2002. Ford still sells the Crown Victoria to 'fleet markets' ie police departments (much like the 01 Chevrolet Lumina and the current Pontiac Grand Am and Chevrolet Blazer 5-door) but the vehicle was renamed the Ford Grand Marquis beginning in 2003 for sale to the general public.

Also, if you think there aren't any Mercury's up here, please come and prove this to my insurance company and the front end of my car. Both of those are pretty sure I hit one.

:lol:

Mercury left the market two years ago.
 
Thought he ment 'ever' not, 'in the last 2 years'.
I see anything under 10 years old as 'new' so I'm not the best at noticing who's still in what market.
 
Mercury has faded in and out numerous times in Canada.
 
M5Power
88-93 Chrysler Dynasty

Would this be a re-badged Dodge Dynasty like the godawful one i had as a hire car whilst on holiday in L.A. in '92?
 
I also beleive there are some discrepancies (sp) in the current 2005 Buick lineup. Someone should check up on that...
 
eliseracer
I also beleive there are some discrepancies (sp) in the current 2005 Buick lineup. Someone should check up on that...

I already mentioned it. The Buick LaCrosse is renamed the Buick Allure in Canada because some young Quebecians think that LaCrosse is slang for masturbation.
 
The359
I already mentioned it. The Buick LaCrosse is renamed the Buick Allure in Canada because some young Quebecians think that LaCrosse is slang for masturbation.

No, LaCrosse is just a crappy 'ball-and-stick' game played by girls and 'sensitive' men ;) - it would be even worse than calling it a 'Buick Field-Hockey'
 
The359
I already mentioned it. The Buick LaCrosse is renamed the Buick Allure in Canada because some young Quebecians think that LaCrosse is slang for masturbation.

It's also slang for getting scammed, or being part of a bad deal, just so you know. You try and sell a new car with that name, now.
 
TheCracker
No, LaCrosse is just a crappy 'ball-and-stick' game played by girls and 'sensitive' men ;) - it would be even worse than calling it a 'Buick Field-Hockey'

Lacrosse is one of the most violent games you can play these days. If not THE most violent, aside from maybe paintball which can be considered fake-war by some "girls and 'sensitive' men".
 
TheCracker
Would this be a re-badged Dodge Dynasty like the godawful one i had as a hire car whilst on holiday in L.A. in '92?

Yes - it's this ungodly thing:

91dynasty.jpg
 
You know, the chassis code for that is 'EEK', for 'Extended Extended K-car'.

EEK indeed. That car is the ultimate proof that Lee Iaccocca should have been put up against the wall and shot. Even saving the world from the 1979 Dodge Aspen isn't enough to redeem his continued existence.

xy34.jpg
 
It's actually just called the K body. EEK is a mailing list.
Say what you will about it, K bodys saved Chrysler.
 
neon_duke
You know, the chassis code for that is 'EEK', for 'Extended Extended K-car'.

The chassis code for the Dynasty was AC-body.
 
D'oh! I stand corrected. Thanks, guys.

The K-car 'saved' Chrysler - along with a healthy gummint loan. And 10 years later the K-car had damn near killed Chrysler again.
 
neon_duke
D'oh! I stand corrected. Thanks, guys.

Prepare to be corrected again...

The K-car 'saved' Chrysler - along with a healthy gummint loan.

The US federal government did not loan any money to Chrysler. It was a loan guarantee. The government co-signed on Chrysler's loan. If Chrysler couldn't pay it back the US government would have.

But that didn't happen.

Chrysler paid back its loans, on their own, years ahead of schedule. It didn't cost the government a penny.
 
Did the States ever get the Nissan Micra, Multi or Axxess?
 
We did get the Axxess.
 
I haven't seen a Micra in ages, but we did have them. If the Multi is Nissan's first minivan like I think it is, then we got that too.
 
I need years people! This isn't some year-less society, dammit!

Hey, I know Canada had a sport version of the Toyota Celica known as the Toyota Celica Tsunami changed a few weeks ago following the disaster - was it ever badged as Tsunami or was that just its on-paper name?
 
M5Power
I need years people! This isn't some year-less society, dammit!

90-95 Nissan Axxess
82-89 Nissan Multi
83-90 Nissan Micra (not quite sure about these years; the Axxess and Multi years are correct)

You might want to check the years that the States got the Axxess. The Axxess wasn't even released (worldwide) until 1989 as a '90 model...

Hey, I know Canada had a sport version of the Toyota Celica known as the Toyota Celica Tsunami changed a few weeks ago following the disaster - was it ever badged as Tsunami or was that just its on-paper name?

No cars were released with the Tsunami name. Toyota changed the name before they released any cars. It's an appearance package, actually, not a trim of its own. You can get the "Sport Package" as it's now called for both GT and GT-S Celicas, which includes side skirts, a rear spoiler, fog lamps, clear tail lights, ABS, a colour-keyed interior (matching the exterior paint, available in blue or red), a Panasonic in-dash CD/MP3 player with six speakers, removable faceplate and remote control, special floor mats, an exterior badge, and a wallet.
 
Firebird
90-95 Nissan Axxess
82-89 Nissan Multi
83-90 Nissan Micra (not quite sure about these years; the Axxess and Multi years are correct)

Thanks!

No cars were released with the Tsunami name. Toyota changed the name before they released any cars. It's an appearance package, actually, not a trim of its own.

Damn.
 
Some Canadian BMW trivia.

Canada was the only North American country to get the 286 hp Euro-spec BMW M3 in 1994, as a 95 model. Only 48 were imported. The rest of Canada's M3s from 96-99 were the 240 hp US-spec versions.


M
 
...which brings up another one:

00-_ BMW 320i




And, since I saw one for the first time today:

05-_ Pontiac Pursuit
 
Got Pursuit originally - didn't know you guys were still stuck with a 4-cylinder 3-series. Sorry!
 
M5Power
Got Pursuit originally

Isn't on the list anymore! :dopey:

- didn't know you guys were still stuck with a 4-cylinder 3-series. Sorry!

It's still a six: a 2.2L with 168hp. Not bad powerwise, but no balls to it: makes a paltry 155ft-lbs of torque. And it only has a handful of the standard equipment of 325s and 330s. And somehow BMW feels it's justified to charge $35,000 for one.
 
BMW's prices are completely absurd, no matter what the vehicle. I don't get how people pay that and still live with themselves - I can find an alternative to every BMW that has more room, more power, more features, and costs less. BMW people, who buy solely for the name, say they prefer the BMW for 'handling' and 'workmanship.' It's a con!

The list is now being updated as a WordPad document, so the one in post one hasn't been updated for a while. I'm still doing it though.
 
Back