Post Preview and Hyperlink Removal

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 5 comments
United States
a baby, candy, it's like taking.
TexRex72
Have advanced post options been disabled/relocated? I'm seeking post preview specifically.

Also, is it still possible to remove any hyperlinks from selected text? Manually replacing hyperlinked text with plain text is a tolerable workaround, but it sure was convenient in the previous message composition interface. Perhaps there's a BBCode shortcut for this function?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if these sorts of questions are more appropriate in the update discussion thread, as they are specific to the update, but I thought a dedicated thread would be preferable so that they [hopefully] aren't asked repeatedly.

Out of curiosity, in what way is the preview inaccurate?
It is not currently rendering posts in the correct font or font size and quotes are styled with the forum software's default style rules.

I've noticed the raw link preview doesn't come up even after saving draft and refreshing the page, in much the same way embedded media (Twitter and YouTube are the ones I observed) previously did not, and presumably still does not.
Yes, that's correct. Those types of elements are rendered by the server each time a post is displayed based upon the links it parses in the post text itself. Rendering them inside the post editor would increase its complexity significantly.

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. Those types of elements are rendered by the server each time a post is displayed based upon the links it parses in the post text itself. Rendering them inside the post editor would increase its complexity significantly.
And that's perfectly fine. It's not an expected or desired feature so much as it was something I could use as an example to describe my observation.

Thanks for the help and information.

It looks like post previews are not directed to the correct post currently. I'll link one here as an example:

The caption I'm seeing is not what's linked. The link is to one of my posts. The caption is from another user.

Last edited:
It looks like post previews are not directed to the correct post currently. I'll link one here as an example:

The caption I'm seeing is not what's linked. The link is to one of my posts. The caption is from another user.
That's just how it works, and there's no way around it.

The link previews pull in the description or caption from the Open Graph meta tag on the linked page, and in the case of thread pages, that is the text of the first post on the page. Additionally, link fragments (that's the part after the # which specifies the post you want to jump to) are internal page references and are not passed to the server when the request is made, so the server can't supply any other text, anyway.

This feature isn't really designed or intended to highlight other posts on the forum; quotes are still best for that.

I noticed that earlier, particularly because words I used appeared in the caption as they were quoted by the user whose post appeared at the top of the page. Because it doesn't caption specific posts, I'm inclined to skip the link preview altogether and hyperlink text inline like this (I've just linked to this page as an example).

Back