Power Limiter & Flatlining

• Thread starter Mach 5
  • 8 comments
United States
IA
mdc3973
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but Tuners, what are your thoughts about the Power Limiter flatlining the HP that is seen on the Powerband graph?

Thank you in advance

I find it helps certain cars providing you don't go too crazy. Have to keep an eye on the torque as well. Take a 06 Z06, max weight reduction and power limit down to 525pp. Not that this car needs it, but it won't hurt. However, cars that come with less PD grip, such as a Supra RZ or even the IROC-Z, flatline power limiter hurts on exit getting the power down. It all depends on how much grip the car has and can the chassis support it.

My thoughts any way.

I find it helps certain cars providing you don't go too crazy. Have to keep an eye on the torque as well. Take a 06 Z06, max weight reduction and power limit down to 525pp. Not that this car needs it, but it won't hurt. However, cars that come with less PD grip, such as a Supra RZ or even the IROC-Z, flatline power limiter hurts on exit getting the power down. It all depends on how much grip the car has and can the chassis support it.

My thoughts any way.

I was thinking that the flatlining at the top of the hp curve caused by the power limiter would take away from the pull that the hp would have without the power limiter.

Helps you hit max power faster, and sustain longer. Only problem is hitting too early with low grip cars. I have been trying as of late, to have a short flat line. Some cars however, I want more of an arc or an incline.

Helps you hit max power faster, and sustain longer. Only problem is hitting too early with low grip cars. I have been trying as of late, to have a short flat line. Some cars however, I want more of an arc or an incline.

Please explain the problem with it and low grip cars.

Ok, take one of the most disappointing cars for me, the 63 Stingray. The tire model for this car causes the rear to lose grip at mid exit. Stretching the gears and shifting early according to the graph helps, but it's still present. Adding power parts and then lowering using limiter, allows you to get a better power band according to the graph, more power faster and longer. However, exit control, getting the power from the tires to the tarmac is now made significantly worse. Simple fix is to use gripper tires, but in a SH event, that's not possible.
Lower pp cars are less likely to be affected compared to higher powered, high pp cars.
That help?

Ok, take one of the most disappointing cars for me, the 63 Stingray. The tire model for this car causes the rear to lose grip at mid exit. Stretching the gears and shifting early according to the graph helps, but it's still present. Adding power parts and then lowering using limiter, allows you to get a better power band according to the graph, more power faster and longer. However, exit control, getting the power from the tires to the tarmac is now made significantly worse. Simple fix is to use gripper tires, but in a SH event, that's not possible.
Lower pp cars are less likely to be affected compared to higher powered, high pp cars.
That help?

I'll play around with that car to understand more what you mean. Put it does help.

Back