Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Yes there is one ingame video with sound:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/dl_2129996.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ObWJzo6hRE0 (same video)

Doesn't sound like a huge improvement...
That's not the new sound engine, that's the old one. And an old build of the game, too, as I previously noted from the Atari rearview mirrors, which have since been fixed. On-site reports from the game shows, including people on this forum who were there, indicate a noticable improvement. I just wish the rest of us could hear it. Instead, all we get are official replays with dubbed-over pre-recorded audio, and off-screen video where you can't hear the game at all over the crowd noise.

I have a feeling we'll have to wait for the game itself to be released before we get to hear what the cars actually sound like. Maybe a day or two early, if game sites post reviews and in-game videos.

DN, you know damn well that I could never "prove" that a game has better engine sound. If your ears can't hear it, that's your problem. I'm just surprised you haven't realized that there IS a better way of doing car audio than what PD is doing. If you haven't realized that yet, then there's nothing I can do to "prove" it to you.

It seems to me that people on GTplanet have all sorts of unrealistic demands.
Some people, but I suspect they are still among the minority, but I totally get what you are saying. 👍

Not only that, but there is a great deal of personal opinion and personal preference being disguised as universal facts by a lot of these "critics". 👎

However, one basic expectation I have, which could definitely be accomodated, because it has already appeared in other games is:
internal damage that effects the cars performance, if not the car's appearance. Beyond that, I really think there should be some kind of visual damage, similar to Forza, which shows the consequences of screwing up. The problem is not that the damage wouldn't look "real" enough, the problem is that no damage at all looks absurdly, awkwardly unreal.
Well said! 👍

I can live without cosmetic damage, although I do get a kick out of it, but I like the option of having realistic consequences for crashing, or even just poor driving where the driver can cause mechanical damage.

The two games that I currently feel offer the best simulation for cosmetic, but especially performance damage are DiRT and F1:CE... (having a roll over in DiRT is especially quite a scene) Unfortunately these are licensed race cars, so the verdict is still not out yet on whether or not manufacturers are going to allow this for production cars.

If it's true that some or all manufacturers will not allow realistic damage (roll-overs, damage to the drivers compartment etc.) to their cars in-game, then holding out for "realistic damage" is pointless, & it would make more sense for Kaz & PD to start implementing some kind of damage now.
100% agreed as well!

At the very least, for me to ever take seriously a GT5 online leaderboard, there MUST be something in place that penalizes drivers who drive in such a way that if it was real, they would either have crashed or had suffered enough damage that they would likely be coming in last place.

As it is now, unless you check someone's entire replay, drivers can post unrealistic lap times by using the "invisible" tracks walls, cutting corners, slamming into cars to slow down quickly, or to keep them on the track while making a tight corner at high speed... all of these allow drivers to post fastest lap times, thus ruining leaderboards with unrealistic lap times for those of us who like to drive clean.

Further more, if there are reasonable race penalties, but are also optional, which is a good thing as well, then we also need multiple leaderboards for what "settings" were used in a race... so when you are racing with a specific set of settings you can compare your race & lap times with others using the same settings. 👍

ALPHA-> Woah, woah, WOAH!!! I DID not expect this! :eek:

-> This news really made my Sunday, and for the first time SCEA opened their minds a bit! This is a great news! :)👍

~> MAJOR +Rep ALPHA!!!! 👍👍👍👍

ALPHA-> Woah, woah, WOAH!!! I DID not expect this! :eek:

-> This news really made my Sunday, and for the first time SCEA opened their minds a bit! This is a great news! :)👍

~> MAJOR +Rep ALPHA!!!! 👍👍👍👍

Yes I would agree, good work ALPHA, i can't plus rep becuase I have to spread it around.

The reason why the sounds in the GT series have sounded "flat" is due to them recording the car sound at idle or free revving and digitally raising the RPM. This is what Turn10 did with Forza 1 also and the sound in Forza 1 also sounded very flat. The engine sounds in GT4 and Forza 1 didn't have "load" to them.
Well if we go deeper into that, sound samples will never have real "load" in them. Real engine produces sound, in games there are just pre-recorded sound files that are played. One sound file sounds always the same (only in lower or higher pitch). With pre-recorded sounds you can't have that diversity or variety in the engine noise. Maybe if you recorded own sound sample for every rpm but that's long way to go... for example PC titles GT Legends and GTR2 (which imho have done best job at using pre-recorded sounds) has only 6-8 sound samples per car: one for "idle", "low", "medium" and "high" throttle on and the same files for "throttle off" occasions, then the files are just mixed together according the rpm and the shortcoming is that it will only sound good when at full acceleration, with only couple of sound samples it is very inaccurate in other situations.

In future, I believe there's going to be an alternative way of doing this, a real-time synthesized sound engine. Basicly that avoids this by actually creating sound instead of just playing pre-recorded sound files, a bit like a virtual engine. The sound is created from very very short engine pulse sounds, shorter than 0.05 seconds (compare to the usual sound sample in games which is 2-5 seconds). It's already in use in couple of PC platform sims but results are not yet so great but the system has potential to sound more realistic in the future than the pre-recorded sounds way ever will. Here's good example how it works made by a guru called Todd Wasson.

It's a fact? Really? I don't even think you could list 10,000 games that even have licensed production cars in them let alone games with licensed production cars that have real damage and roll over... but you obviously do or you would not have emphasized it being a "fact", so by all means, share this factual list of games that qualify if you can. Otherwise please leave the gross exaggerations to the politicians. 👍
Ok, I did exaggerate to make the point clearer and that fact word was a bit too much, I grant you that. :guilty:

As for the roll over point, this one has been discussed before, and in the past I have asked for examples of games that contain licensed road cars that roll over, to date no one has been able to name a game that featured it. Yes plenty of games with licensed 'race' cars have it, but not road cars.
Thanks for the information and the link, interesting.

About games with licensed (production, not race) cars with rolling over... these came to my mind without much thinking, Viper Racing (released in 1998) and Need for Speed (5): Porsche Unleashed (released in 2000 and I'm pretty sure previous NFS games had it too) and Mercedes Benz World Racing (released in 2004, also had a sequel). I could try to dig up more examples later. All these are major car manufacturers and didn't seem to have problem with it... these are somehow old games but I doubt manufacturers' opinion has changed. Viper Racing even had a funny feature (not cheat code) that when you pressed a certain button, the car jumped in the air. The game had a dynamic car deformation, so you could really make the car the look like a pile of steel junk.

I used exaggeration because it is simply the easiest way to get the discussion going. ;) I believe the "manufacturers' don't like damage" is just half of the truth... other half is, well god knows what. Many games have only cosmetic damage but it is still better than nothing at all and proves that games can have damage. Altough personally I couldn't less care about falling off bumpers and visual stuff like that, for me most important thing is how the car acts in contact situations and how it affects the car internally. I'm also PC sim gamer so the visual stuff have always been secondary priority. Best damage is in Richard Burns Rally: crash once into a tree and the rally is over and also the game has yet the most complicated mechanical damage.

And there is just isn't any real prove that PS2 technically could not handle damage. Lots of other games on PS2 have had damage, even PS1 could do it. Actually, if we go back to early 90's, even Microprose Grand Prix Formula One had damage. And that was in year 1992 on Intel IBM 386 computer! Before someone says that in 1992 graphics were so plain... of course and graphics have gone a long way but so is the technical power of computers and consoles and in a quite exponential way.

Like we can see from the videos, there is still no damage. Even PS3 can't handle it? Or it it because of the manufacturers saying "nay"? Which reason is it, it depends on the day? PD just seems to be the only developer that have had and still seems to have an issue with damage. And only developer that always seem to blame something else for not implementing it. Maybe they just don't want to do it or don't know how they'd like to do it. I don't want to sound rude but the Kazunori's explanations are getting really old.

That's not the new sound engine, that's the old one. And an old build of the game, too, as I previously noted from the Atari rearview mirrors, which have since been fixed. On-site reports from the game shows, including people on this forum who were there, indicate a noticable improvement. I just wish the rest of us could hear it. Instead, all we get are official replays with dubbed-over pre-recorded audio, and off-screen video where you can't hear the game at all over the crowd noise.
As far as I've understood that's the video that got leaked from the official site... or is it that one? If it is, it's not that old build. Anyhow, so far it's still the closest indication what to expect.

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2007/9/20/e237d1854b1dcbeefa9b1d53557d8efe.html

Some new screens. Someone translate please.

Also genuine GT-R appears!? It is sold from SCE
It approaches to the entire picture of the PS3 'GT5 prologue'!

This day September 20th, SCE is held at Chiba prefecture Makuhari [metsuse], “Tokyo game show 2007” being similar, it made the sale day of the software '[gurantsurisumo] 5 prologue for PS3' and price etc clear.

As for this work being sold December 13th. Two of blue ray disk edition and download editions is sold simultaneously, as for price says that blue ray disk edition becomes 4,980 Yen (including tax) with, download edition 4,500 Yen (including tax).
 In addition leading sale, trial version distribution of this work being free from October 20th via online service “PlayStation Store”, you say that it is done.
 So below, with the photograph which is released in the concert of this day, it probably will keep introducing the feature of this work.

As for the photograph to the left, those of the [porihuoni] digital typical Yamanouchi one model person who serves [purezenteita] of at this concert. In order in when starting this work it is indicated with those of the “my page”, also the calendar and with the clock the login circumstance etc of the acquaintance to be able to verify, network through, it could infer the photograph to the right that it has stressed to multiple play.

Besides the fact that it can move to the basic part of the game such as “the garage” and “the dealer”, it can check TV-CM and the like of the automobile “the channel” and, you can watch at the automobile-related program in the world from the idea contest which is under the “my page”, to it seems that it can fly “TV”.

It hits to generally known play mode, “simulation” “standard mode” for the beginning middle class car and “the professional mode” empty for the upper-class person means to select. To enjoy in the full HD picture quality of 1080p and 60fps it is possible race/lace, but but at the time of [ripurei] as for picture quality 1080p the number of frames between seconds is when it becomes 30fps.

As for AI of the rival car adjusting to the development of this work, when it is something which it recreates newly. Whether some kind of behavior is shown, it is about from now to become matter of concern.

You say that is possible motor sport-related news and the fact that press release of each automaker is let flow to lower part amount of the picture. Not only as the race/lace game it becomes good source, for the car lover, because?

Festival model “40th Tokyo motor Shaw 2007” of the car which is held from October 26th leading, how genuine “GT-R” displayed the form before Makuhari [metsuse]! It is in a state where it is placed in the cart a little was regrettable, but the body of beautiful silver was shown.
Google Translate. Some of those are captions.
http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...d53557d8efe.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I don't think theres any new news in here.

Well if we go deeper into that, sound samples will never have real "load" in them. Real engine produces sound, in games the engine just "plays" the pre-recorded sound files. One sound file sounds always the same (just in lower or higher pitch). With pre-recorded sounds you can't have same diversity or variety in the engine noise... maybe if you recorded own sound sample for every rpm but that's long way to go... for example PC titles GT Legends and GTR2 (which imho have done best job at using pre-recorded sounds) has only 6-8 sound samples per car (one for "idle", "low", "medium" and "high" throttle on and same for throttle off and then the files are mixed together).

In future, I believe there's going to be an alternative way of doing this: real-time synthesized sound engine. Basicly that means the engine in the game kind of virtually creates sound from very very short engine pulse sounds (something like under 0.05 seconds, compared to the usual sound sample in games which is 2-5 seconds). It's already in use in few PC platform sims but results are not yet so good but the system has potential to sound more realistic in the future than the pre-recorded sounds way will. Here's good example how it works made by a guru called Todd Wasson.

I agree that it won't ever have the "real load" sound to them but it will sound a lot better than what PD has been doing. If you've played Forza 2 at all with a surround sound system cranked up high, you'll notice that the sound is very similar to what a real car would sound like under full acceleration. It's not "dynamic" but it does sound a lot better than the stuff that PD has been putting out. Compare the sound of the F430 in the GT5 Prologue video to the sound of the F430 in Forza 2 and you will notice a huge difference.

Sound sampling can sound very realistic if done right. Turn 10 had the right idea when they threw the cars on the dyno and recorded the sounds under full acceleration. With a good sound sample, digital enhancement can further make the sound even better if the developers know what to do with it. I do admit that the race car sounds in Forza 2 is lacking, though. They don't have crazy "engine is about to blow up" sound to them. I've been to racing events with full race built cars and the sounds that they make is just orgasmic. Not just the engine sound but also the other things that a fully built race engine does like backfires, cracks, turbo pops and all that good stuff. Sometimes a little exaggeration is good for ears. ;)

I agree that it won't ever have the "real load" sound to them but it will sound a lot better than what PD has been doing. If you've played Forza 2 at all with a surround sound system cranked up high, you'll notice that the sound is very similar to what a real car would sound like under full acceleration. It's not "dynamic" but it does sound a lot better than the stuff that PD has been putting out. Compare the sound of the F430 in the GT5 Prologue video to the sound of the F430 in Forza 2 and you will notice a huge difference.

Sound sampling can sound very realistic if done right. Turn 10 had the right idea when they threw the cars on the dyno and recorded the sounds under full acceleration. With a good sound sample, digital enhancement can further make the sound even better if the developers know what to do with it. I do admit that the race car sounds in Forza 2 is lacking, though. They don't have crazy "engine is about to blow up" sound to them. I've been to racing events with full race built cars and the sounds that they make is just orgasmic. Not just the engine sound but also the other things that a fully built race engine does like backfires, cracks, turbo pops and all that good stuff. Sometimes a little exaggeration is good for ears. ;)

I definitely agree with you on this. Like i've said before, if PD can't get it "more realistic", it's not like i'm not going to buy there game, to me tho.....i would spend hours and hours alone playing the game just to listen to some of the car sounds if they sound good, let alone with everything else PD is giving us. As someone mentioned before, bad sounds can kill an overall presentation. But we'll see what happens...........i'm just flippin happy that the game is actually coming to the US!!! 👍👍👍

Hmmmm, have they not given a release date for Prologue in North America or did I miss it? I hope it's not three months behind everyone else, it'd make a good X-mas present.

Hmmmm, have they not given a release date for Prologue in North America or did I miss it? I hope it's not three months behind everyone else, it'd make a good X-mas present.

No i haven't seen one yet. The date is supposedly December 13 in Japan..i don't know what it is for PAL, so I'd have to assume it will be on, or maybe a few weeks after December 13th for NA. But, it would make sense for PD to release the Prologue demo (with the GTR proto and 1 track) in all places on October 20th as planned, since it is a free download. But if the GT5p DEMO isn't released in NA, then you can always make a japanese account and download it.

Are there any games (with or without officially licenced cars) where damage intrudes into the passenger area of the car?

MGR
Are there any games (with or without officially licenced cars) where damage intrudes into the passenger area of the car?

Not that I know of when it comes to racing games. There are games out there like DiRT that has rollovers but the passenger compartment is still intact. Possibly due to them being licensed race cars with a lot less strict regulations than licensed production cars which will not even allow rollovers.

There are none racing games out there like the GTA series that has rollovers and explosions on none licensed cars. Also, a lot of shooter/racing games (Burnout, Full Auto, ect.) will have it since the cars are just made up cars that resembles real life cars but with enough difference for them not to get sued.:lol:

Not that I know of when it comes to racing games. There are games out there like DiRT that has rollovers but the passenger compartment is still intact. Possibly due to them being licensed race cars with a lot less strict regulations than licensed production cars which will not even allow rollovers.

There are none racing games out there like the GTA series that has rollovers and explosions on none licensed cars. Also, a lot of shooter/racing games (Burnout, Full Auto, ect.) will have it since the cars are just made up cars that resembles real life cars but with enough difference for them not to get sued.:lol:

Even the GTA series doesn't have damage that intrudes into the cockpit (bar the explosions). However this is probably more due to technical limitations rather than censorship. I just can't see having any sort of realistic damage that intrudes into the cockpit area is ever going to happen - especially in 'realistic' driving games.

I mean, look at the interior modelling of the cars in GT5:P. Now imagine you take an F430 and slam is head on into a concrete wall at 180mph. There'd be nothing left of the driver but pink goo. From technical stand-point even if the PS3 was capable of this rendering this sort of damage real-time, would it actually ever be given the manufacturers OK? I think not.

Best you can hope for is probably something around the 'Dirt' level of damage. Even then that may only apply to race vehicles.

Look, somebody who can actually drive:
http://www.gpara.com/movie/gt5p/20070922/02.php
(Stolen form Neogaf)

MGR
If GT were real life, then even the cars that are not modified beyond stock level would have to contain a rollcage, which would make it very difficult for damage to intrude to the extent where it would endanger the driver (the only viable example being where the rollcage has been installed incorrectly).

MGR
Even the GTA series doesn't have damage that intrudes into the cockpit (bar the explosions). However this is probably more due to technical limitations rather than censorship. I just can't see having any sort of realistic damage that intrudes into the cockpit area is ever going to happen - especially in 'realistic' driving games.

I don't think it's technical limitations at all. It has to do with censorship. You can have a car slam into a wall in GTA with a person flying out of the windshield hitting the wall and realistically render what happens to the person in this sort of an accident but the rating for the game would go from MA to AO. We all know what happens to a game when it gets an AO rating. They're already pushing the envelope with some of the stuff that they already have in the game.;)

There's only a certain amount of things that a developer can do to a game. Even if PD is allowed to do realistic damage that includes damages to the passenger compartment like you stated, they won't do it because then they would have to also involve the driver of the car and what happens to them when they slam into a wall at 180mph with an F430. The ESRB will not allow them to have an E rating and it would ultimately hurt their sales in the end.

If DiRT can pull off the amounts of damage they have then PD would be able to do better (exterior and interior).

If GT were real life, then even the cars that are not modified beyond stock level would have to contain a rollcage, which would make it very difficult for damage to intrude to the extent where it would endanger the driver (the only viable example being where the rollcage has been installed incorrectly).

None of the production cars in the 'Best Motoring' races are fitted with roll cages.

I don't think it's technical limitations at all. It has to do with censorship. You can have a car slam into a wall in GTA with a person flying out of the windshield hitting the wall and realistically render what happens to the person in this sort of an accident but the rating for the game would go from MA to AO. We all know what happens to a game when it gets an AO rating. They're already pushing the envelope with some of the stuff that they already have in the game.;)

There's only a certain amount of things that a developer can do to a game. Even if PD is allowed to do realistic damage that includes damages to the passenger compartment like you stated, they won't do it because then they would have to also involve the driver of the car and what happens to them when they slam into a wall at 180mph with an F430. The ESRB will not allow them to have an E rating and it would ultimately hurt their sales in the end.

If DiRT can pull off the amounts of damage they have then PD would be able to do better (exterior and interior).

I have to disagree with you there. I do believe that damage modelling in GT5 would come under more scrutiny than that of the GTA series. Can you honestly see the censors allowing the cars in GT5 to 'explode' with the driver still inside burning to death?

Damage is for little girls.

Big boys drive properly and they do not need damage since they're driving like a mature racers - not as kids who bump or intenionaly drive to damage opponent cars or drive in opposite direction to smack into leaders since they can't win in propper way.

Damage is so TEH SUCKZOR. And so 20th century...

There's structural damage and mechanical damage. Maybe PD means that he's going to implement real time mechanical damage.

I'm much more interested in the possebility to use a 3-screen-setup (surround visual). It's possible in GT4 and I hope it's going to possible in GT5. Any news on that feature?

MGR
I have to disagree with you there. I do believe that damage modelling in GT5 would come under more scrutiny than that of the GTA series. Can you honestly see the censors allowing the cars in GT5 to 'explode' with the driver still inside burning to death?

I'm confused, what are you disagreeing with me on? You pretty much said what I said in my post about why there isn't the "realistic" damages and injuries in games. It's due to the damn ESRB, not technical limits of current technology.

Damage is for little girls.

Big boys drive properly and they do not need damage since they're driving like a mature racers - not as kids who bump or intenionaly drive to damage opponent cars or drive in opposite direction to smack into leaders since they can't win in propper way.

Damage is so TEH SUCKZOR. And so 20th century...

LOL well said amar. Not sure I agree with you completely, but that did bring on a laugh.

And yes, massive props to Alpha for finding the press release confirming that there may be hope for SCEA after all...

Cest Moi, be sure that GT5 will allow multi-screen set-up - after all, GT3 in 2001. allowed it, GT4 allowed it - so I see no problem to GT5 allow it. Prologue will probably skip that feature, but then - you never know.

And I also agree on your point of mechanical damage, I prefer mechanical over cosmetical always - even if it is for little girls :D.

@ALPHA - great job there man, thanks for the info. Also, I feel sorry for your effort on NeoGaf and that thread-closure. It was fat the best sum-up of Prologue I've seen anywhere. I realy do not understand why the thread was closed. Thumbs up man :) I was free to add all your info into the first post - and all new will be much appriciated.

Did GT3 and GT4 required 3 PS2 with 3 copies of the game to do a 3-Screen set up or was there a much cheaper way of doing it? I want to do a 3 screen on Forza 2 but there's no way I'm going to buy another 2 Xbox360 and 2 more copies of the game. I'm definitely NOT going to buy a couple more PS3s at $600 a pop.

You'll have to buy 3 consoles and 3 games and 3 TV's to play multi-screen, that's for sure. And you'll also have to buy LAN switch, some cables, stands for TV's, and so on.

I like the trend of prices for 32" flats - they're around 500 euros at this moment. Cheaper then one professional slick-tyre in RL.

To conclude - racing was never a cheap sport, so that basically sums it :)

I've ran my car at enough AutoX and road racing events to know that it's not a cheap sport.:lol: This is why I got into "virtual racing" and out of "real racing". I figured it would be a lot cheaper and will hold me over until I have money to do some real racing again and have enough extra cash to fix anything that might break.

I was kind of hoping there would be another way to do the 3 screen without having to own 3 consoles and 3 copies of the game. The 3 TVs I'm ok with but I just can't justify spending another $1300. If I had $1300, I'd be doing some real racing.

Cest Moi, be sure that GT5 will allow multi-screen set-up - after all, GT3 in 2001. allowed it, GT4 allowed it - so I see no problem to GT5 allow it. Prologue will probably skip that feature, but then - you never know.
Thanks amar for the answer. You gave me some hope that it will be implemented. 👍 (tried to give you a + rep but I have to spread it around first :indiff:

amar212
And I also agree on your point of mechanical damage, I prefer mechanical over cosmetical always - even if it is for little girls :D.
I've heard somewhere or read it somewhere that there will be mechanical damage. Altough I also heard KY say that he is going to implement structural damage to make the crashes real.

I'm confused, what are you disagreeing with me on? You pretty much said what I said in my post about why there isn't the "realistic" damages and injuries in games. It's due to the damn ESRB, not technical limits of current technology.

That's because I'm a moron and didn't read your post properly. :dunce:

Back