Prefered Race Length

  • Thread starter Thread starter Downhill Dino
  • 35 comments
  • 2,245 views
I host 3 lap races normally. Damage and penalties at max. You will find most people can't go past 3 laps or even off the start line without taking damage and then they normally quit. So 3 is a pretty good starting point.

To warrant the pit stop working (to repair damage and stay in the race) the race needs to be 5 + laps ( 3/4km tracks ) otherwise you won't catch up.

Once you get a group you know you can start upping the stakes with longer races.
 
I prefer races around 30 minutes. The only exception is ovals which I feel a 10 minute race is more than enough.
 
When i was doing iRacing often last year, racing in the Mazda Mx5 races they lasted generally around 20mins (roughly 1min for a lap of Lime Rock and 20 laps). This was good, though people who crashed or generally had a bad race would leave, it often resulted in a good race with enough action. Any longer with a PUG is maybe pushing it.
 
I like longer races cause of the strategy involved like you said. I don't ever see any proper long races. If there is any I find they are just rooms people are messing around not really racing. Only reason I stick to short races is my internet like to get me dc'd from rooms. Or else I would be in those rooms.
 
5 laps is great for online racing for most tracks. Le Mans 3 laps and the ring 2 laps.
 
Hi guys,
I like races about 5 laps for short courses, 3 for longer tracks.

Had a lot of fun with races lately that start with low powered car starting around 100 bhp and increase every race with 50~100 bhp.

This way you're forced to drive your other cars in your garage, not only those 1000+ beasts. Also mean you have to tune those little cars you would normally not race.

Gearzzz
 
Back