Preferred cars?

• Thread starter John G
  • 84 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Before i start my career i wanted to give some cars a little try, see which ones suited my driving style. I only did 2 flying laps with each for now just to get overall impressions and have only tried the 2019 season so far.

I used the safe setup for all, and adjusted the steering lock to the recommended setting for each car. TC, ABS, and brake bias were left untouched.

The track i used was Silverstone as i at least know which way it goes. All lap times were within a second of 2:01.00

Anyway here goes:

• AMR Vantage (2019). Felt a bit heavy, quite clumsy in low speed corners.
  • Audi R8 Evo (2019). TBC
  • Bentley (2018). Surpringly nice, responsive and very stable.
  • BMW M6 (2017). Needed more turning at high speed than expected but not really understeer as it did grip.
  • Ferrari 488 (2018). Felt good, responsive and adjustable
  • Honda NSX Evo (2019). Felt good but a little heavy, easy to drive and surpringly quick time
  • Lambo Huracan (2015). TBC.
  • Lambo Huracan Evo (2019). Bad high speed oversteer.
  • Lexus RC-F (2016). Great to drive, would go wherever you wanted it to. Could really attack throttle.
  • McLaren 720S (2019). Slightly weak front end maybe, didn't give confidence.
  • Mercedes AMG GT3 (2015). Low overall grip, slightly unstable rear at high speed.
  • Nissan GT-R (2018). Felt ok, slightly unresponsive and heavy but quite quick
  • Porsche 991.II GT3R (2019). Quite nervous and skittish, too responsive for me and difficult to drive smooth.
I'll give the 2018 season cars a try and see how i get on next. However, of those for me, I'm going to spend a bit more time in the ferrari, bentley, and lexus (which i was not expecting to like!) and get a better more detailed feel.

Anyone else been through and got some favourites (and definite no-no's)?

Last edited:
Before i start my career i wanted to give some cars a little try, see which ones suited my driving style. I only did 2 flying laps with each for now just to get overall impressions and have only tried the 2019 season so far.

I used the safe setup for all, and adjusted the steering lock to the recommended. TC, ABS, and brake bias were left untouched.

The track i used was Silverstone as i at least know which way it goes. All lap times were within a second of 2:01.00

Anyway here goes:

• AMR Vantage (2019). Felt a bit heavy, quite clumsy in low speed corners.
  • Audi R8 Evo (2019). TBC
  • Bentley (2018). Surpringly nice, responsive and very stable.
  • BMW M6 (2017). Needed more turning at high speed than expected but not really understeer as it did grip.
  • Ferrari 488 (2018). Felt good, responsive and adjustable
  • Honda NSX Evo (2019). Felt good but a little heavy, easy to drive and surpringly quick time
  • Lambo Huracan (2015). TBC.
  • Lambo Huracan Evo (2019). Bad high speed oversteer.
  • Lexus RC-F (2016). Great to drive, would go wherever you wanted it to. Could really attack throttle.
  • McLaren 720S (2019). Slightly weak front end maybe, didn't give confidence.
  • Mercedes AMG GT3 (2015). Low overall grip, slightly unstable rear at high speed.
  • Nissan GT-R (2018). Felt ok, slightly unresponsive and heavy but quite quick
  • Porsche 991.II GT3R (2019). Quite nervous and skittish, too responsive for me and difficult to drive smooth.
I'll give the 2018 season cars a try and see how i get on next. However, of those for me, I'm going to spend a bit more time in the ferrari, bentley, and lexus (which i was not expecting to like!) and get a better more detailed feel.

Anyone else been through and got some favourites (and definite no-no's)?

I’m liking the Ferrari and mclaren.... Porsche and lambo very nervous and would need tuning.

You should try the aggressive preset too. The safe one is very understeery and I found the cars just don't turn enough. The aggressive one isn't really that mental and it's quite hard to spin these GT3 cars really. You might find different favourites this way.

I liked most of the cars apart from the Aston and BMW from what little I've driven them.

Make sure you’re running the correct steering degrees by car before judging.

The Porsche is horrible with 540*, but lovely with 800*, for example. The Ferrari feels great out of the box as it’s steering degrees are pretty close to the standard 540.

Make sure you’re running the correct steering degrees by car before judging.

The Porsche is horrible with 540*, but lovely with 800*, for example. The Ferrari feels great out of the box as it’s steering degrees are pretty close to the standard 540.
A very important tip and I feel sorry for those players who don't realise this. Makes a huge difference. Patch please.

Why would it need patching... it’s just another setting.

the the Porsche... you’ll not ‘get’ it in 2 laps. It’s pretty unforgiving if you’re at all clumsy with the steering or brakes. You need to be super smooth. It’s still pretty tricky, but feels great when you hook a lap up.

Having played the career mode on the PC version of Assetto Corsa Competizione, I can confirm that you can only select 2018 cars, with the Ferrari, Lamborghini and Lexus being unavailable, and other cars being dependent on the rank you achieve in the Lamborghini Young Driver Program (the career's tutorial). Looking at gameplay footage from the Xbox One version, this appears to be the case for the console versions as well.

I've tried the nsx and the mcleran extensively. I also tried the bentley.

The mask is quick but I feel the back end wanting to swing around and I could quiet time it out.
The mcleran felt a tad unresponsive on the front. And little ass happy.

The bentley felt very solid but heavy.

Having played the career mode on the PC version of Assetto Corsa Competizione, I can confirm that you can only select 2018 cars, with the Ferrari, Lamborghini and Lexus being unavailable, and other cars being dependent on the rank you achieve in the Lamborghini Young Driver Program (the career's tutorial). Looking at gameplay footage from the Xbox One version, this appears to be the case for the console versions as well.
Oh bugger, ok thanks. Looks like I'll be trying the 2018 series sooner than i thought then! And no Lexus or Ferrari for me :(

The porsche, if it takes that much concentration to really nail it, then i don't think it's for me in 1-2 hour races, i would want something easier to drive at least for the career mode. In any case the transmission whine in 6th gear is very annoying in that car!

Last edited:
Oh bugger, ok thanks. Looks like I'll be trying the 2018 series sooner than i thought then! And no Lexus or Ferrari for me :(

The porsche, if it takes that much concentration to really nail it, then i don't think it's for me in 1-2 hour races, i would want something easier to drive at least for the career mode

You do get another chance to select/swap your car about half-way through the career mode. Once again, the range of cars available is dependent on your medal at that point in the career.

Why would it need patching... it’s just another setting...

Not a setting most players would be aware of, unless they read these forums or follow the real series very closely, I would imagine. Even if you know the wheel rotation for every car, it's any case silly to have to go into the general options to change wheel rotation every time you want to drive a different car. Didn't AC - even on consoles - do this automatically?

Excellent game, but definitely some things that could do with some improvements.

I tested all the 2019 cars and did some hot laps around tracks I knew. My preferred cars are the 720s, R8 and the 488 but for some reason that Ferrari just begs me to drive it faster and I’m easily a second quicker on most tracks in it. I love driving the R8 too it’s definitely a close second, I really love how it drives and sounds fantastic but I’m just quicker in the 488.

I just started my career in the hopes to eventually drive the Ferrari so this is hugely disappointing. I don’t understand why we can’t choose the Ferrari when I’m racing against them in my first race? This whole 2018/2019 thing is really confusing.

Well i tested some of the 2018 season cars, again all on safe settings around Silverstone so expecting a slight understeer.

AM Vantage. Nice, slight tendency to push a bit wide but easy to drive fast.
R8. Responsive and quick, slight oversteer on low speed braking
Bentley '15. Bit heavy and sluggish (especially compared to newer version).
McLaren 650 S. Nice, slight oversteer on trailbrake
Huracan 2015. Understeer on throttle oversteee on trailbraking.

So for my career, i went with the Aston over the McLaren 650, mainly for the sound.

Last edited:
I started out with the Bentley as I just love that beast but I have played around with all of the cars at all of the tracks (didn't get the trophy yet) and I'm liking the ferrari most as of today. I still have not settled on one and perhaps I never will as obviously each car brings something to the table and has its own unique characteristics and style(and most important to me its own unique sound!)and some are better at certain tracks. I really am enjoying each car because they are all a blast to drive.

I do love the Bentley but the problem is I use the view where you can see just the front of the car. I don't know what that's called.

In the Bentley, it's kind of weird because you can see so much of the front of the car it obscures my view

The Audi doesn't feel as fast as the Huracan but it is so darn grippy that it makes it hard for me to use any other car.

I do love the Bentley but the problem is I use the view where you can see just the front of the car. I don't know what that's called.

In the Bentley, it's kind of weird because you can see so much of the front of the car it obscures my view

The Audi doesn't feel as fast as the Huracan but it is so darn grippy that it makes it hard for me to use any other car.
Bonnet / hood cam, i was using this too but some cars (like the bentley) have a massive bonnet!!

I wanted the McLaren 720 to be my favourite but I love the way the Ferrari drives and sounds. For some reason I’m on average a second per lap quicker than I am in any other car in the Ferrari. Also loving the Audi. Probably the best sounding and handles amazingly too.

Here are my favorites after testing each "2019 season" car at Barcelona under hot track conditions, with optimal line, default aggressive tune (yet adjusting the PSI to get them within the hot working range. So lots of laps).

GT-R (2018)
NSX (2019)
RC-F
720S
Bentley (2018)

I'm doing my first career with the GT-R. I'm 2 races and 1 test session in, and I'm kinda regretting it. lol. Low speed turn-in and corner exit traction is an issue. It really needs to be on a medium-to-high speed track. It has plenty of power though!

Last edited:
Sup everyone, newbie here!

I've also jumped on the Bentley Bandwagon. I felt like the best thing for me right now is stability. Although I tried out the Ferrari and it felt pretty nice too.

I wanted the McLaren 720 to be my favourite but I love the way the Ferrari drives and sounds. For some reason I’m on average a second per lap quicker than I am in any other car in the Ferrari. Also loving the Audi. Probably the best sounding and handles amazingly too.

The Ferrari seems easy to drive comparatively quickly. I'm still testing cars on various tracks, and after pushing hard for multiple laps in other cars, I can usually go right in and set a similar or faster time in the Ferrari on the first or second lap.
I don't really want to drive what everyone else drives, but the Ferrari is just so great. Among the best sounds too.

I love the AMG GT3 too, but I feel like I've spent too much time in it in other games and want to try something else.

The Porsche 991 II is a lot of fun but I don't think I drive consistently enough to get the most out of it. Also sounds like it requires more tinkering with setups, including even mid race during pitstops, and that's one aspect of racing sims I have never cared much for. I'm a driver, not an engineer.

Why would it need patching... it’s just another setting.

the the Porsche... you’ll not ‘get’ it in 2 laps. It’s pretty unforgiving if you’re at all clumsy with the steering or brakes. You need to be super smooth. It’s still pretty tricky, but feels great when you hook a lap up.

Try it at Paul Ricard and tell me what it is like at the high speed turn at the end of the main straight? it is the only car that I have given up on trying to get it from trying kill me backwards every time. Typical bad Porsche, "Oh look there's a corner, I will exit the black stuff backwards and kill the occupants". ;-)
If you put more downforce on the rear wing it kills the top speed. If you don't it kills you ;-) Compared to all the other sweet handling cars I will leave it alone until someone comes up with and awesome tune. I'm sure it can be tuned out but I just don't want to spend the time at the moment.
I do actually like the car believe it or not.

Back