Preferred cars?

• Thread starter John G
  • 84 comments
I'm enjoying the 2017 Reiter Engineering R-EX GT3, however I have to run .32-.35 toe out, the stock .2 toe out just seems to have no turn in

It says “SETUP” right next to “DRIVE” or “START” or whatever it is! Basically on the menu that comes up as soon as the session has loaded...

Thanks I found it. But I'm still overturning the wheel on a few cars even after changing the steering ratio.

Got around to driving everything extensively, think I've found the four cars that I like the best.

The NSX Evo's handling and stability have helped me learn the tracks that I've not driven before, such as Misano and Zandvoort. Haven't seriously got into tuning yet since I know it lacks straightline speed - something the Audi R8 Evo does not. A bit more twitchy than the NSX, but honestly just as good.

In terms of FR cars, I really only had two choices because fanboy - the 2018 Bentley and Nissan. Both fit my driving style well and feel phenomenal. Still need to work on some tracks with both of them compared to the Honda and Audi though.

In order:
> Honda NSX Evo
> Bentley Continental (2018)
> Nissan GT-R Nismo (2018)
> Audi R8 Evo

Other good cars for me were the 488, Lexus, V12 Aston, and M6, but moving forwards I want to focus on those 4 cars listed above.

Got around to driving everything extensively, think I've found the four cars that I like the best.

The NSX Evo's handling and stability have helped me learn the tracks that I've not driven before, such as Misano and Zandvoort. Haven't seriously got into tuning yet since I know it lacks straightline speed - something the Audi R8 Evo does not. A bit more twitchy than the NSX, but honestly just as good.

In terms of FR cars, I really only had two choices because fanboy - the 2018 Bentley and Nissan. Both fit my driving style well and feel phenomenal. Still need to work on some tracks with both of them compared to the Honda and Audi though.

In order:
> Honda NSX Evo
> Bentley Continental (2018)
> Nissan GT-R Nismo (2018)
> Audi R8 Evo

Other good cars for me were the 488, Lexus, V12 Aston, and M6, but moving forwards I want to focus on those 4 cars listed above.
I've been driving that NSX the last few days. Really nice. I found it handles all tracks well apart from Spa where Eau Rouge really unsettled the rear end. Had to tune a bit.

I really want to like the GTR but it's just a bit heavy and loose at the rear end for me.

I love how the whole class feels different to one another though.

I absolutely love Ferrari 488 GT3. Great car i feel it 100% and even can throw it through the corners and get away with it. I love it.

But the biggest surprise is Bentley (the new one) it is really great to drive. I think i can use it more frequently.

Also I love to use Porsche 911 GT3 R and GT3 II R. They are really fun to drive but very dangrous also :D You can spin it very easily and it just gives huge satisfaction if you manage to race it clean.

I selected the Honda NSX for career mode. I had previously started a career with a different car but didn't like it.

It's early as I've only done practice sessions at zolder but I really like this car. It feels really grippy. I love the way it looks as well

I wonder if something's wrong with me because when I look at things online other people criticize the car. I'm doing my first career on normal so it probably doesn't matter if it's not the fastest car or not.

My first choice is the Audi but it wasn't available in the career mode. Or, at least, it wasn't for me. Maybe I didn't score high enough in the new drivers program test.

Does anyone know the difference between the GTR and the Evo?

Last edited:
Does anyone know the difference between the GTR and the Evo?

Do you mean the difference between the GT-Rs (2015 and 2018) versus the 2019 NSX EVO? Or between the two NSXs (2017 and 2019)?

Below are a couple of links about the latest version of each.
2018 GT-R: https://www.nismo.com/news/2018-model-nissan-gt-r-nismo-gt3-to-go-on-sale/
2019 NSX Evo: https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/Acura-Motorsports/2018-Acura-NSX-GT3-Evo-Announcement and https://nsx.acura.com/explore/gt3

Last edited:
Review of some of the cars I've driven so far - some I've used in Career mode, some I've run 30 minute quick races from the back of the grid, with AI at 95/85.

G29, gain 70, minimum force 5, damping 50, road 10, brake gamma 3.0. Steering rotation set by individual car.

Mostly on default aggressive tune, but some I've played with the settings a bit further... and I'm generally using a bit less traction control and ABS than stock.

Audi R8 LMS (2015)
I've driven this car a lot - sprint section of career at Pro difficulty (mostly poles and wins), I'm about half way through the endurance section (all poles and wins), plus some quick races. It's the easiest car to drive fast I've come across so far... it's super quick in a straight line (>283kph at Paul Ricard, c.295 with draft), has very neutral handling (bit of high speed understeer, but very little mid engine snap off throttle), and has the best traction control system of any car I've driven (very unobtrusive and no need for any more than 2, even in the wet). Super good car, almost feels too easy.

McLaren 650S
I've completed the career sprint section in this - not as fast for me as the Audi (c.1s/lap slower), but a decent car and pretty easy to drive. Like the Audi, has a bit of high speed understeer, but it's a bit more spiky on the throttle.

Porsche 911 GT3R (2018)
I've completed most of the sprint section of career at Pro difficulty in the Porsche (accidentally started a new career before I'd finished), and I love this car... it's not as easy to drive as the Audi or McLaren, but like a Porsche road car, when you get the weight transfer just right on a corner entry it feels awesome. Has brilliant exit traction, but can be a bit sketchy when trail braking and coming off the pedal too quickly (rear can come round pretty sharpish)... for me, needs quite a bit of brake gamma to manage this. Sounds glorious. Not for the inexperienced.

Honda NSX (2017)
I tried (and failed!) to do the endurance section of career in the NSX... and I persevered... tried to change my driving style, tried loads of different settings, but nothing made it competitive. It is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a dog. It looks fabulous, but that's about all it has going for it. It's not very quick in a straight line, has a load of entry understeer, and it's lethal getting on the throttle - turning up the traction control just makes it bog on exits and it's then even slower over a lap. Very hard to get any sort of decent lap times out of.

Ferrari 488 (2018)
30 min quick race at Zandvoort. What a front end the Ferrari has... fabulous turn in and grip at the front all the way from entry to apex. It's also pretty good on the throttle, and you can trail brake it pretty hard with no fear of the rear coming round. Really liked it... a car I could really trust when pushing hard.

Lexus RCF (2016)
30 min quick race at Znadvoort. Sounds lovely, goes well, and typical front engine handling - entry understeer, so needs careful speed management on the way in. Nothing really stood out for me, but nice enough to drive.

AMR V8 Vantage (2019)
Did a couple of 30 minute quick races at Zandvoort, and didn't really get on with it... it's got a really odd trait, where it suddenly over rotates at low speed when coasting. So it turns in on the brakes OK, and everything feels OK as you're off the brakes and throttle in the coasting phase until just before you want to pick up the throttle, then it suddenly loses grip at the rear... very strange behavior for a front engined car. I got round it by using a bit of throttle to balance the car all the way through the corner, but it's not a car I could drive had and trust. Could probably be tuned out. It was absolutely flat through the final turn at Zandvoort though... not driven another car that can do that on a stock tune yet.

AMG (2015)
Drove this after the Aston, and took me a while to get used to it. It feels massive (like it takes up a lot of track), and it has a lot of understeer if you try and turn it in too quickly... needs smooth, steering inputs on entry. Needs 1st gear much less than any other car I've driven... either it's low geared, or it has a boat load of torque in 2nd... most tight corners didn't need 1st other than a quick change down on entry to help the rotation. I did find it a bit Jekyll and Hyde on slow speed exits... felt fine for a lap or 2, then I'd suddenly be fishtailing unexpectedly. Relationship between steering angle and throttle likely very important.

Porsche 911 II GT3R
Completely different car to drive compared to the earlier GT3R.

I'd had a couple of goes at the Spa Hotstint event, and they'd all resulted in massive spins at Eau Rouge on both the aggressive and safe tunes. Nothing I did short of slowing to near walking pace would get the car through there. Went back to it late yesterday and decided to have a proper go. Found a PC tune for the car on line, and it immediately felt MUCH better. Ran several sessions over the next hour or 2, making small changes to the tune until I had something that could at least turn inconsistent low 2'21's (probably do low 2'20's with more time).... it will go flat through Eau Rouge, even on cold tyres lap 1, but it's still a bit sketchy if the line is slightly wrong. This morning I finally managed to run a clean 11 laps and got in 30th place, with at least 6s dropped over the stint... a 'perfect' run for me would get me in the top 10. The Porsche is quick, but you really have to be precise with it... a fraction late on the brakes and it takes ages to get back on line, touch the wrong kerb and the rear is straight round, get your trail braking marginally wrong and it understeers like a shopping trolley, pick up the throttle a bit too early and the rear has a massive twitch, followed by it bogging down on the traction control system.... but when you get a corner right, it feels epic. I can see a long and 'challenging' relationship with this car in my future :lol:

Couldn’t agree more with what you said (fellow G29 user too).

Especially the Merc and Aston. I was so surprised by the Aston and even now, think surely there’s something very wrong with the car with how it just rotates on you in slow corners on coast. Even think it could be bugged. Just can’t imagine any car doing that in real life at such slow speeds. May be worth mentioning it to the Devs as it’s just so bizarre.

I love the Merc. Yes it feels cumbersome compared to some, but it’s so stable once you hook it up into the corner and I think it’s the best sounding of all the V8’s. Spot on there also with how it just suddenly snaps on you on throttle when the tyres start wearing. But still enjoy it a lot.

Interesting about the Porsche’s too. I’ve only tried the newer one and had much the same experience as you. A nightmare at Spa and had so much difficulty trying to catch it when it goes with the G29. Will have to try the older version as do love me some Porsche.

My most used car so far is the Lambo. It can be a bitch I know, but once you get that rear end stable, it’s so much fun. The looks and the noise have a lot to do with my love for that car though. Think I was more willing to push through it’s foibles because of this.

I haven't driven the Lambo much... I remember it being a bit oversteery... and when I say a bit, I actually mean A LOT :lol: I'll give it another go.

Seems the trick with the newer Porsche is to have the rear very stiff.... I'm mostly using Krptic's tune off YT

He has full stiff rear ARB, very stiff springs, and a lot of bumpstop. It was pretty much undrivable for me stock!

Edit.

Hurracan EVO (2019)
Where have you been all my life? Either my earlier memory of it was wrong, or I must have driven a different car... it's unbelievably good at Zandvoort!

In the queue before the start it sounds so angry when giving it a few revs... it's properly fast, and it handles unbelievably well... turns in on the brakes, grips well mid corner, and then just rockets away on the exits. Feels nice and stable too... not like it's going to kill you at the 1st opportunity :lol:

I like it. A lot.

Last edited:
I wanted a car that had responsive brakes and steering, even if I had to sacrifice top speed, and the ones that have felt the most predictable and compliant to me are the Lexus and Lambo (though I don't see the EVO version, so it must be that I've been racing in the series that doesn't have that one?). Switched from dash cam to bonnet and now that I can actually see the track the Lambo has been getting me better times and into less trouble. My experience hasn't been what others are describing with significant oversteer, but maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough?

Another interesting point on that... I turned on the consistency helper in the HUD and even though it's usually on the blue side, when I go to my driver stats my consistency there is orange all over. So, apparently, I'm going too slow and overdriving at the same time. Is there an award for that?

Another interesting point on that... I turned on the consistency helper in the HUD and even though it's usually on the blue side, when I go to my driver stats my consistency there is orange all over.
I tried to get my car control and consistency HUD on in the menu but it remained empty. Maybe it doesn't work in the special events? Even tho your scores are still affected...

on the topic of car control, I had thought AC had cured me of my bad Gran Tourismo habit of steering too much...... apparently not...
Been working on it and after doing my track star run at Laguna yesterday had a big improvement :)
on preferred car, I'm really comfy in the Jag

Last edited:
I discovered that in the settings menu (don't recall if it's in the HUD or general options) there's a setting for ratings info that shows up in the upper right-hand corner (at least in most event types). By default, it seems like it shows you how you're doing until you hit a certain level, and then it goes away, but you can change it from default to choose the rating you want to monitor, and it will show that one continuously. So you can get it back to work on consistency or whatever, but mine still tends to blue/green during the lap (underdriving) but then shows up in the consistency screen in the driver ratings as orange or red (overdriving), which makes no sense. So, it may be wrong, but at least I can see it....?

To be honest the ratings system is starting to grate on me. I’m getting obsessed with it and it’s spoiling the game for me. Going to turn it off and just have safety on, but even that is spoiling things. But hey, if I wanna get into the competition servers I need to keep an eye on that. I watch Blancpain and it’s definitely a contact sport!!!

As for the car control rating, that is indeed a mystery. I don’t think it helps if you have a G29. You just can’t feel the car that great with it and mine has hovered around 70 using the Lambo mostly. I can set decent times and win races against AI 93 (I know, nothing special). Yet yesterday, using the 720S for the first time, in one 20 minute race at Misano, it shot up to 84. The McLaren did feel more stable/precise (and lots of fun) and I definitely noticed I was using much less steering input for it, but the Lambo is twitchy by nature. So it seems to be very car dependent and to what wheel you are using. You’re getting much faster and more detailed feedback with high end wheels. So easier to react quickly to the more difficult cars. Thinking this is why my car control rating is low when using the Lambo.

Yeah, but the Lambo (the older one, not the EVO) is more fun. I'm not too concerned as long as it's high enough to unlock options for me to race in a setting that's a good fit. I'm by no means an alien, but there's a disconcerting lack of connection between what my relative lap times show (turn by turn) and what the "too much steering" or "very slow" messages are saying...

To be honest the ratings system is starting to grate on me. I’m getting obsessed with it and it’s spoiling the game for me. Going to turn it off and just have safety on, but even that is spoiling things. But hey, if I wanna get into the competition servers I need to keep an eye on that. I watch Blancpain and it’s definitely a contact sport!!!

As for the car control rating, that is indeed a mystery. I don’t think it helps if you have a G29. You just can’t feel the car that great with it and mine has hovered around 70 using the Lambo mostly. I can set decent times and win races against AI 93 (I know, nothing special). Yet yesterday, using the 720S for the first time, in one 20 minute race at Misano, it shot up to 84. The McLaren did feel more stable/precise (and lots of fun) and I definitely noticed I was using much less steering input for it, but the Lambo is twitchy by nature. So it seems to be very car dependent and to what wheel you are using. You’re getting much faster and more detailed feedback with high end wheels. So easier to react quickly to the more difficult cars. Thinking this is why my car control rating is low when using the Lambo.
I was getting the same way with the rating system and just shut if off over a week ago and my lap times have improved. I found myself constantly looking at my rating scores after each turn and finally I had enough.

The 991 (newer version)is my go to car. That things takes corners like a dream and comes out of corners like nobody's business. It also feels the best on my wheel FFB wise.

I've looked at my ratings in the corner about 3 times since the game came out. I just drive. I dont even pay attention to the tyre app and only turn it on occasionally when something doesnt feel right.

Just found out I can’t turn it off completely. I wish I had as much will power as you but if it’s there, I’ll take a glance...

How does this game go about recording your fastest laps? I’ve just managed to get into the 1.44’s at Barcelona with the new 911 but it’s still showing a high 1.45 with the Lambo. Not the first time I’ve noticed this.

How does this game go about recording your fastest laps? I’ve just managed to get into the 1.44’s at Barcelona with the new 911 but it’s still showing a high 1.45 with the Lambo. Not the first time I’ve noticed this.

It sometimes (always?) separates the times based on the season, so if you run the same track with a 2018 car and a 2019 car, you'll have the track listed twice, and you have to go into each instance to see your times for that season. It makes sense when you're playing it sequentially, but if you're just in it to drive it's a bit bizarre to not be able to see all of your laptimes for the same track on the same screen. I wish it at least started with (or had available) a consolidated view, and then the option to view by season if you wanted. I mean, I'd understand it if the cars were completely separate (none of the same cars in the 2019 season as were in the 2018 season) or if the tracks changed between seasons, but when I can run the same car, same track, but have the times show up in two different screens just depending on how I launched the event it feels like overkill.

Latest Posts

Back