Prepare for Confusion as Audi Changes its Badging System (Again)

Sales man: good day sir, can I help you?

customer: yes, I want to buy myself a brand new Audi.

Sales man: very good sir, what do you have in mind?

Customer: not a diesel if that is what you mean. I want an A4, 2.0 TFSI.

Sales man: I'm sorry sir but there is no such car.

Customer: huh? :confused:

Sales man: Audi changed their badging system and I have absolutely no clue how it works.

Customer: oh I see. No worries, I that case, I'm going to buy a BMW instead.

Last edited:
A4, 2.0 TFSI.
That's pretty much been Audi's problem though - and Volkswagen's too.

Right now you can buy the 2.0 TFSI in two different power outputs. You can buy the 2.0 TDI in three different power outputs. You can buy the 3.0 V6 TDI in two different power outputs. At one point in the early Noughties, the 2.0 TDI had four different power outputs and the older 1.9 PD TDI had six (90hp, 110hp, 115hp, 130hp, 150hp and 190hp).

I guess some bright spark has said that the engine designation alone isn't enough to tell the various models apart, and some other bright spark has pointed out that the brand now has 1.0, 1.4 and 1.5 TFSI, and 1.4 and 1.6 TDI, and that's not very Audi. So between them they've come up with this method of badging the power output and not the engine size. Of course that also helps with e-tron cars, because instead of having to badge it with the ICE capacity or the battery size, Audi can just slap the system output into the table of drivel and put the relevant badge on the boot.

It's just that no-one has any idea what the table of drivel means, except bigger is more, or why it can't just use the actual power output as a badge.

Imagine if Rolls-Royce started to use output numbers for their cars.

They'd all be called Rolls-Royce Adequate.
Just as well flamboyant companies like Lamborghini haven't resorted to numbers either. We'd probably have a Lamborghini Over 9000 by now.
But then it does name cars in Japan, with the Carol, Demio, Axela, Atenza and Roadster. And it's had Familia, Premacy, Scrum, Flair, Capella, Verisa and Cosmo. Not forgetting the daftness of Xedos or, the one no-one can ever forget, Bongo.
I quite like some of Mazda's Japanese names. Atenza has always seemed interesting, and I've long preferred the straightforwardness of Roadster to MX-5 or Miata.

I really don't understand why Audi's new scheme is causing such a fuss. Displacement is no longer a useful/predictable indicator of engine output, so why not use a generic scale instead? The model names haven't actually changed. An A6 will still be an A6. I don't get what is so confusing about this?

I really don't understand why Audi's new scheme is causing such a fuss. Displacement is no longer a useful/predictable indicator of engine output, so why not use a generic scale instead? The model names haven't actually changed. An A6 will still be an A6. I don't get what is so confusing about this?
Engine output, on the other hand, is useful/predictable indicator of engine output, and it's used across the industry. A regular power figure in either of the two metric measurements already used widely throughout the industry - kilowatts or PS - would at least be logical, and no less useful when it comes time to integrate EVs and the like into the range. Since the naming system is based on power anyway, why not just state the power?

An engine displacement might be less relevant but it at least gives someone a vague idea of what their car will be powered by. A random number between 30 and 70 though means nothing to anyone.

Oh, and it doesn't even cover the full range of Audi's vehicles! The entry-level Audi A1 has 70kW/95PS, and Audi's new 30 badge only begins at 81kW/108PS...

Of course, feel free to disregard if you're already completely up to speed as to how much power your Audi A-whatever 40 has (not that you can tell exactly, since 40 covers a range) and how it might differ from an A-whatever 55, other than being "less". But since the motoring press - people whose job it is to help customers choose their next car - can barely work it out, consumers themselves are probably going to be fairly clueless about it too.

Engine output, on the other hand, is useful/predictable indicator of engine output, and it's used across the industry. A regular power figure in either of the two metric measurements already used widely throughout the industry - kilowatts or PS - would at least be logical, and no less useful when it comes time to integrate EVs and the like into the range. Since the naming system is based on power anyway, why not just state the power?

An engine displacement might be less relevant but it at least gives someone a vague idea of what their car will be powered by. A random number between 30 and 70 though means nothing to anyone.

Oh, and it doesn't even cover the full range of Audi's vehicles! The entry-level Audi A1 has 70kW/95PS, and Audi's new 30 badge only begins at 81kW/108PS...

Of course, feel free to disregard if you're already completely up to speed as to how much power your Audi A-whatever 40 has (not that you can tell exactly, since 40 covers a range) and how it might differ from an A-whatever 55, other than being "less". But since the motoring press - people whose job it is to help customers choose their next car - can barely work it out, consumers themselves are probably going to be fairly clueless about it too.

Again.

This is harder than figuring out that the BMW 328i has a 2.0 liter or that the 335i has a 3.0 liter or that a 340i also has a 3.0 liter? Because the numbers are shockingly similar to Audi's, but don't seem to have a predictable pattern. Audi has adopted a QUITE similar system, but made it uniform.

Audi has simplified the willy-waving contest: A6 45 < A6 50. Nice round numbers to establish clear superiority over your neighbor in the suburbs.

Or did you guys think a typical Audi buyer knows or cares what 2.0 TFSI means?

AND YET, this isn't even touching on the electrified future when power will mean basically nothing and displacement won't even exist. The double digit numbers sure seem like they will work well when translated to KHW, don't you think? A good way to transition right?

Again.

This is harder than figuring out that the BMW 328i has a 2.0 liter or that the 335i has a 3.0 liter or that a 340i also has a 3.0 liter? Because the numbers are shockingly similar to Audi's, but don't seem to have a predictable pattern. Audi has adopted a QUITE similar system, but made it uniform.
Thinking Audi's system is completely daft doesn't automatically mean I'm giving BMW a free pass from its own daftness.

But BMW's numerics are at least based around a system people already understand: capacity. While they rarely correlate with an actual capacity any more, people know that a bigger number effectively has the same result as a bigger engine.
Audi has simplified the willy-waving contest: A6 45 < A6 50. Nice round numbers to establish clear superiority over your neighbor in the suburbs.
Right - one number is bigger than another.

That's literally the only logic applied here - and if they're to do that, why not just use power outputs in kW or PS, which also (unsurprisingly) feature numbers that are bigger and smaller? And unlike Audi's new system, are linear? And would theoretically make as much sense at "1" as they would at "1000" - compared to the current system, which inexplicably starts at 30 for a fixed output but stops at 70 regardless of whether a car is making 400kW or 4000kW.
Or did you guys think a typical Audi buyer knows or cares what 2.0 TFSI means?
If you read the story in full, you'll notice that TFSI remains as it was, as does TDI. Mathematics allows us to simplify equations, so we can remove those parts of the badge from this conversation entirely.

What we're left with in the old system is "2.0". This means 2 litres, just as 1.6 means 1.6 litres and 3.0 means 3 litres - all Audi's old numerics made sense (and, you'll note, are uniform. More so than a non-linear scale using five-point jumps between 30 and 70). The new ones don't.
AND YET, this isn't even touching on the electrified future when power will mean basically nothing and displacement won't even exist. The double digit numbers sure seem like they will work well when translated to KHW, don't you think? A good way to transition right?
I've literally just covered this.

They don't equate to kilowatt outputs (or kilowatt-hour outputs, which is a different thing - see below). 30 here means 81-91kW, 35 means 110-120 and so-on (again, we'll gloss over entirely that that leaves a whole 92-109kW range with no badge whatsoever - something that happens throughout the naming scheme). The scale isn't linear - if it was, 60's output would be double that of 30's, which it isn't - and no actual kilowatt output can be divided in any easy, meaningful way by the new numbers.

And, to my knowledge, the numbers will mean nothing more relevant when they're applied to electric vehicles.

The thing they definitely don't equate to is battery capacity, as 60, 75, 100 etc do with Tesla (remember, kilowatts are different from kilowatt-hours - one refers to power output, the other to capacity). What does Audi call an electric car with a 100kWh battery pack, if its numbers stop at 70?

They'll be no more accurate for power output, since they'll presumably mean exactly the same as they do at the moment. An Audi e-tron "40" will have the same 125-150kW output as an Audi 40 TDI... only you can't tell exactly what output each develops, just that both sit within a broad 25kW range. The electric car might have 201hp and the diesel 167hp according to the new system, but who can tell from "40"? Where's that willy-waving you mentioned gone if two cars can be 34 horsepower apart and nobody is any the wiser?

So no, it's not a good way to transition. It's completely meaningless, other than the very simple "one is bigger than the other", in which case an actual power output would do that much more effectively and more accurately.

Right - one number is bigger than another.

That's literally the only logic applied here

That's it. That's all anybody needs to know. It's meaningless, it's easy. It will sell a ton of Audis.

I'm really struggling to understand why you guys don't understand this move? From a Marketing perspective, it's genius. Why worry about technical specificities (which, again, nobody cares about) when you can just go with arbitrary 'bigger is better'?

Of course enthusiasts will hate it. I'm not even an Audi enthusiast and I hate it. But enthusiasts make up a handful of actual paying customers. And for them, this naming scheme is just fine.

That's it. That's all anybody needs to know. It's meaningless, it's easy. It will sell a ton of Audis.

I'm really struggling to understand why you guys don't understand this move? From a Marketing perspective, it's genius. Why worry about technical specificities (which, again, nobody cares about) when you can just go with arbitrary 'bigger is better'?
Because it's a less accurate way of saying one thing is bigger than another than just using say, power output, which is already widely used throughout the industry. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know that @kikie's Mondeo ST220 mentioned above has more power than its ST200 predecessor, about the same power as a Renault Sport Clio 220, and that, if Audi chose to use it, a car with a "250" on the back would have more power than any of them.

As above, a "40" badged Audi could have 167hp, or it could have 201hp. That's a big enough range that, if represented by badges roughly equating to output - say, 170 and 200 - one looks distinctly better than the other. Why not go with that? It has the benefit of giving customers one-upmanship over their neighbour and it makes sense.

And if we're boiling this down to something as black and white as "bigger is better", then "170" is a much more impressive number to stick on your bootlid than "40". You could buy a Fiat Uno in the 1990s with a "45" badge on the back - I guess that makes it better than an Audi A4 40.

It would appear that Audi already use the '25' badge for the 1.0 TFSI A3 in middle eastern markets - though that does have 85kW. It's not unfathomable that they may introduce lower numbers if required - or, possibly, at the point of introducing the new A1 (next year?), it won't have a sub 81kW engine. Simples.

But, yeah, not really a big deal in my personal opinion. I don't think it's confusing so much as it is simply something else to remember. I had never given any thought to why the Ford ST220 was called a Ford ST220 - seems obvious once you know, but you still have to know - if you try to apply pre-conceived logic without knowing, where does that leave you with the ST24... or the RS200, or the ST500?

It would appear that Audi already use the '25' badge for the 1.0 TFSI A3 in middle eastern markets - though that does have 85kW.
Which should make it a 30 in Audispeak...
It's not unfathomable that they may introduce lower numbers if required - or, possibly, at the point of introducing the new A1 (next year?), it won't have a sub 81kW engine. Simples.

But, yeah, not really a big deal in my personal opinion. I don't think it's confusing so much as it is simply something else to remember. I had never given any thought to why the Ford ST220 was called a Ford ST220 - seems obvious once you know, but you still have to know - if you try to apply pre-conceived logic without knowing, where does that leave you with the ST24... or the RS200, or the ST500?
The former pair were named before PS was more commonly used in model designations, the latter was a limited-run model (that I'd not actually heard of until you mentioned it). You could of course add that a Ferrari 812 doesn't have 812PS and a Saab 9000 has rather less than 9000, but my point was that if you're going to sub-divide models like A3s and A4s with a numeric designation, it makes infinitely more sense and looks more impressive in a completely unscientific "bigger is better" way to use a kW or PS figure, rather than just plucking an arbitrary scale out of the air.

You're right though, it's also just something else to remember. Something, surely, that everyone could do with less of, particularly in a range that already has 13 model lines. Or 18 if you consider Sportbacks and Allroads separately, which Audi does. Or 37 if you consider S and RS models separately, which Audi also does. Plus Avants and convertibles, which I can't even be bothered to calculate - call it 50-odd.

Still, I'm sure it makes sense to someone at Audi.

Bring back real names. "Century" "Fairlady" "Javelin" "INTERCEPTERRRR" and simply add an "X" for AWD, or some denomination for wagon/suv/crossover whatever.

Numbers for car models feels soulless.

Those who buy their Audis* at the top end of the range and those who purchase at the bargain-basement end are more than happy to de-badge them anyway. Those who buy in the middle probably don't care. They're much much more interested in the badges on the back of cars they're (closely) following.

* S & RS owners are exempted from this stereotype - they want to shout about it!

The only beautiful and positive thing I can think of is that you can actually buy these letters from Audi so they match the letter design and create your own badge. W12 L lives on! :)

Latest Posts

Back