Pro Vitz Series- The Writeup

• Thread starter RVDNuT374
  • 37 comments
Try T3 tires front and T5 back. Slightly more grip and should last the race.
Fairly different suspension numbers used.
I dont understand why you are increasing ride height with such heavy springs.
Normally to improve handling you lower the car ride height and increase spring rate.
The back spring double the force of the front. Lift of oversteer?
Can you describe how the car reacts with your settings.
To me it looks like it will get the back end out when breaking to help you cure low speed understeer. Whats it like on high speed corners, does it stay neutral, understeer or oversteer. Does the less power help reduce understeer.

Uncle Harry
Try T3 tires front and T5 back. Slightly more grip and should last the race.
Fairly different suspension numbers used.
I dont understand why you are increasing ride height with such heavy springs.
Normally to improve handling you lower the car ride height and increase spring rate.
The back spring double the force of the front. Lift of oversteer?
Can you describe how the car reacts with your settings.
To me it looks like it will get the back end out when breaking to help you cure low speed understeer. Whats it like on high speed corners, does it stay neutral, understeer or oversteer. Does the less power help reduce understeer.

I set the springs stiff and increased the ride height in the rear to do just what you said, let the back end out. SS11 is tight and twisty so I was trying to overcome the understeer by setting up the car with excessive oversteer.

On low speed corners the back end moved around, not as fast as I would like, but enough to adjust the apex. On high speed corners, mainly the one after the front straight, the car was very stable, even if I turned in while on the brakes. I wish i could get the rear to step out more as it would have cut a few 10ths off the overall time.

I set the ride height mdeium high because I was going over the curbs quite a bit. I found with a lower setting the curbs would "grab" me (not just with this car, but most lightweight ones).

I like a very stiff car normally. To me this car was actually pretty soft.

Now if I was setting the car up for hot laps I would have done things a bit different, but that wasn't the purpose here.

The Euro Edition does have less power, but it is also lighter than the RS 1.5 so it balances out? I'd rather have the lighter car, albeit with less power.

Azuremen
Kensei, thanks for even more settings on the Vitz. Could you be kind enough to post them up in the Vitz settings thread, I don't want to copy and paste anymore on to my already large post over there. I think we should try to get the utilmate Vitz reference tool!! :sly:

copy/paste them into your thread. I like the fact theya re all in one big post on the top. Easier to read.

Not that anyone would use mine settings though. hahaha.

Uncle Harry
Kensei,
Thanks for taking time to reply. I tend to have mine lower and stay off the curbs at SS11.
Kerbs and lightweight cars = trouble.

That is a good idea. But there is at least a full second to be gained by using the curbs in a few areas on SS11, thus I work out a middle ground with setup to work with the curb but still work on the main straight.

Even though the Vitz is lightweight curbs don't unsettle it that much, not like an Elise of ZZs. It is a pretty burly little car actually.

I ran TT11 last night with something close to Kensies settings and spent the first too laps loosing time to the AI. By lap three my T2 tires had started to warm up front and I started clocking lap times in the 2.14... region, The deficit to the lead AI car stayed around the 10 second mark as I was running consistent lap times. I caught up at the end of lap 5 when the AI all pitted. My lead was about 20 seconds when the AI come out with their new rubber. I was still lapping consistent 2.14... laps and kept the lead out to 20 seconds. My lead streched out to 25 seconds as the AI tires went off at the end of the last lap.
Comments on car set up. I liked the oversteer on corner entry but I was going for the gas a bit to early and then the car lost grip front and back and I was sliding in a 4 wheel slide to the outside wall which cost me a little bit of time.
I re entered the race and ran my normall settings and ran a 2.13... at qualifying.
I found these settings I could get on the power earlier and did not have the 4 wheel skids I had before.
What I found was that my settings I normally use suit my driving style and work for me.
Obviously Kensies settings work for him and suit his driving style.
So using somebody elses settings are not going to magically make the car go 10 seconds faster.
I dont think it is posible completly dial out the understeer with the 280- 290 HP Vitc.
I think it is certainly less evident using only 220 hp.
So maybe the Euro version with its lighter weight and 220 HP is a better weapon.

I'm not sure about setups on this series. The default seems ok to me (except at test course obviously). All I did was tune my 1.5 Vitz car to 272 hp, fitted soft tyres (kept a spare set of hards for test course), and went for an aggressive strategy. I left the gearing as road gearing. Driving this car is about maintaining speed - maximising your minimum speed through a corner, so you can drive it perfectly well with long ratios, just drive a bit wider round the corners.

My main worry was the I had never driven an FF car in GT3 before outside of golding the license tests, and there weren't very many there. But then I thought, they wouldn't make all these road cars FF for everyday people to drive if it weren't easy in some way!

At the first 2 races I pitted twice, on lap 4 and lap 7. At the first race, Rome, I emerged in the lead after my second stop, and won by 12 seconds. At the second race, I emerged in third after my second stop, and won by 9 seconds.

At Test Course I had a little problem because I couldn't change the gearing and my car wouldn't go past 210, instead dropping right off to 202. I thought 'what the hell' and went for it anyway, from the back of the grid. I dropped over 3 seconds behind the field on the first lap and was thinking about giving up. But with a little effort and blending of the throttle, I could keep the Yaris going at 208/209/210 kph by keeping my finger gently pressing the throttle almost fully on the DS2. I gradually came back, and caught the field by the beginning of lap 4. I think they were also running the same gearing as me, so it took a long time to pick my way through the field. But by the start of lap 7 I hit the front, and stayed there, never leading by much more than 1 second. I won by 0.994 seconds.

At SS11 I had a problem because I could not even remember driving this track in this direction - I'm not sure I had ever done it before. So I drove a few qualifying laps on hards to familiarise myself with the corners. Then I switched to softs and set a 2:08 pole by 5 seconds! I thought man, this race is gonna be easy (it wasn't). It was going to be a very long race so I went for 3 stops, one on lap 3, lap 6 and lap 8. I had a lot of tyre wear before my first and second pitstops, and on lap 3 and lap 6 I had so much understeer I was using the handbrake to turn the slow corners.

But I emerged from my second stop not too far behind the field. I was able to catch, pass them, then pit on lap 8, then came out 8 or so seconds behind I caught the field, and starting lap 10, I was 5th. But the computers were fading badly, I set a 2:07.0 and won by 9.4 seconds (I kid you not, I was 10 seconds faster than the field on the final lap).

Grand Valley, I did the same again. Didn't bother with quali because I know the course. Won pretty easily (the comps don't like this track), using the same 3 stop strategy as for SS11, because the race is *long*. This one was pretty boring, unlike the previous 2 which were quite tense! I won by 43 seconds. I honestly don't think my strategy was the best for this track, due to the extreme length of the pitlane. But I was really getting used to driving the Vitz, and let's face it - the computers are weak.

Don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but why is there so many Pro Vitz race writeups? Sure it sounds fun, but can anyone explain it to me.

[/n00b]

Back