Pro vs. Standard Physics

• Thread starter EERS4YEARS
  • 74 comments
Actually, in Pro, you will go off if you apply power when you mow the grass... but it's relatively harmles if you accidentally put two wheels down.

Now, wet grass, that I'd actually like to see... Unfortunately, one real effect of grass and dirt you won't get in GT is either flipping over after "digging in" or getting stuck. No complaints there... if you're off into the sand, your race is effectively over, anyway.

BTW: sorry if I appear elitist in my stance on Pro Physics... but to clear the record up... I love Counter-strike. I kinda miss the jumping headshots and bunny-hopping, too. Of course, despite the lack of realism, CS can be pretty hardcore and serious, too. Get on a map online with some other veterans, and no matter how good the enemy team is, with god-like snipers, you'll clean them up with superior tactics.

GT5P Standard Physics, also, can make for some good racing, unfortunately, like Counterstrike, it attracts its fair share of newbs and jerks, which makes it about as frustrating playing GT5P online as getting stuck on a CounterStrike server that's just served up another rotation of de_dust (blech) and having everyone (newb or not) buying sniper rifles and sitting down at opposite ends of the map. :lol:

since you all seem to hate on standand physics, ill say it again, i use it so i have someone to race. sim this, sim that, i want to race. waiting 10min to race 2 other people is STUPID. gt needs to step up with some world comp expert races, especially f2007, right? thats my next thread...

My biggest problem with standard physics races is that it makes you drive like an absolute ass.... to be competitive.

It is not a softer version of pro, it allows you to get away with murder, the maneuvers possibe are incrediable. If you were a passenger in one of these cars in real life you wouldn't be looking for the invisible brake, you would be looking for the invisible parachute!

but I have no problem at all with people playing with standard physics, infact I encourage it, especially newer players or just casual players that would otherwise throw away the game because it was too hard. GT is made to be enjoyed and if you enjoy driving in standard physics and even with auto and all assist then thats great!

What he said - damn I miss the Nurburgring.

I really miss the ring also.

Pro physics are a head do'er!! I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering, I must spend more time mastering.......

I am spoilt by the std physics and now struggle with the lack of speed and control in pro mode. I just gotta re-learn the feel I guess. But I am used to winning!!!:crazy::crazy::ouch::grumpy:

since you all seem to hate on standand physics, ill say it again, i use it so i have someone to race. sim this, sim that, i want to race. waiting 10min to race 2 other people is STUPID. gt needs to step up with some world comp expert races, especially f2007, right? thats my next thread...

I hear ya EErs, we do have some great great battles in standard physic races but I just cant stand much more of the punters and shunters but when out in front with a PSN friend you can just have such competitive battles. Just hope I can master the Pro side of the game b4 we get the full game. Bring on the race lobby for selected FAIR competition.

PS. Just to let u know EERS, my psn tag is markello, we are friends and have raced befor.

That's the same way how I feel. If I'm gonna race in any race, standard or pro physics, I want to have a pack full of people, not just 4 or 5 there that drives all slow and don't care about racing. 16 players is one of the new main features in the GT series and I wanna use it. :(

I realise that this discussion is never going to end. Just hope the namecalling and idiotic bickering don't get out of hand.
Personally I use both physics. Mainly down to the fact that I like a full grid when online. Pro is without a doubt the way to go, and far superior to standard. And this is coming from a man that has yet to fully control i RWD car without the TC set to 1 in pro.
Though I to think that GT5 should have just pro if they deside to have only one mode in the full game, I hope they keep them both. And that they split the online races between them.
The reason for this is quite simple. Without standard they will sell LESS games, and then we will get poorer games from them in the future since they'll get less funding. Basic business sence dictates that a losing product will get less funding next time around.
So though some of you may hate the standard users, you should thank them with all your heart, since without them you wouldn't get the best possible game. Let's face it, you can't sell millions upon millions of games unless you appeal to the masses.
I actually see pro as a way to satisfy the hardcore players, though they really don't have to since from an economical point of view, we are less important to them.
So instead of saying you anly want pro in the game, Im gonna hope they include pro aswell in the full game. And if this is why the game never seems to get finished it's worth the wait in my mind.

Cheers,

Last edited:
^ A fresh set of eyes on the game ...

Just started playing Prologue a week ago, and I'm pretty impressed. Can't wait to see the full version come March (hopefully).

I'm a semi-casual player, using a DFGT, and find Pro physics workable but frustrating. I can imagine with the SixAxis it would be much harder though, as it isn't as easy to differentiate between throttle positions if you don't have pedals.

Standard physics are faster and less frustrating, but not as rewarding as Pro physics are when you complete a fast lap cleanly. Also with standard physics you can pull off unreal maneuvers that make you feel less "immersed" in the game. You can corner at too high of speeds, greatly adjust acceleration/braking mid turn without trouble, etc.

So I prefer Pro physics, but have found some issues. I can't imagine some of the cars handle as poorly as they do in real life ON A TRACK as they do in the game.

Most everyone is familiar with the concept that you can have a maximum amount of grip = 100%. In straight line acceleration, you don't need any grip for turning, so you can commit 100% of your grip to accelerating. Once you encounter a corner, you must use some of your grip to turn, so you may only have 60% grip left for accelerating or braking. Go beyond that 60% and you'll have problems lol. Pro physics seems to get this. Standard physics doesn't, or that maximum amount of grip is unrealistically set to some value above 100%.

If I were running things, I would keep standard and pro physics present in the final game. I would however handicap those players choosing standard physics. If a car has 300 hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque, I would let pro physics players have all this power present, but cap it to 280 hp and 325 ft-lbs of torque for those players choosing standard physics. That would hopefully even the playing field in terms of lap times. It would also give someone incentive to master the more difficult, realistic, Pro physics.

Not that it matters, but I use:

Options > Wheel Settings > Professional, Power-assisted steering = off, Feedback = 5
Race options > Active Steering = Mild, Physics = professional, ASM = off, Traction Control = 4 (I lower it in car if necessary)

Last edited:
I think Pro is easier with Sixaxis. But then again, I have had joysticks in my hands since I was 5 and a steering wheel since 15.

I prefer Pro but will race online in standard just to have more racers on the track.

What is active steering?

It's an option to help you with steering ( steering help ) apparantly.
A bit like ABS for braking i guess, but unlike ABS i never use it, so i can't say how it works, or if you might prefer to use it.
You have to find out for yourself, it's listed under driving aids.

I also use std physics partly due to there is allways more people racing there..i can use pro physics also finishing 42nd in uk in the academy.I probally will stick to pro physics when gt5 is out...but fuji 650 std races are brill nearly allways full grids with about every car useable for this..i dont know why people slate std physics!!! on good setups the handling is very good and thats why this mode is in GT afterall!!:)

^ A fresh set of eyes on the game ...

Just started playing Prologue a week ago, and I'm pretty impressed. Can't wait to see the full version come March (hopefully).

I'm a semi-casual player, using a DFGT, and find Pro physics workable but frustrating. I can imagine with the SixAxis it would be much harder though, as it isn't as easy to differentiate between throttle positions if you don't have pedals.

Standard physics are faster and less frustrating, but not as rewarding as Pro physics are when you complete a fast lap cleanly. Also with standard physics you can pull off unreal maneuvers that make you feel less "immersed" in the game. You can corner at too high of speeds, greatly adjust acceleration/braking mid turn without trouble, etc.

So I prefer Pro physics, but have found some issues. I can't imagine some of the cars handle as poorly as they do in real life ON A TRACK as they do in the game.

Most everyone is familiar with the concept that you can have a maximum amount of grip = 100%. In straight line acceleration, you don't need any grip for turning, so you can commit 100% of your grip to accelerating. Once you encounter a corner, you must use some of your grip to turn, so you may only have 60% grip left for accelerating or braking. Go beyond that 60% and you'll have problems lol. Pro physics seems to get this. Standard physics doesn't, or that maximum amount of grip is unrealistically set to some value above 100%.

If I were running things, I would keep standard and pro physics present in the final game. I would however handicap those players choosing standard physics. If a car has 300 hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque, I would let pro physics players have all this power present, but cap it to 280 hp and 325 ft-lbs of torque for those players choosing standard physics. That would hopefully even the playing field in terms of lap times. It would also give someone incentive to master the more difficult, realistic, Pro physics.

Not that it matters, but I use:

Options > Wheel Settings > Professional, Power-assisted steering = off, Feedback = 5
Race options > Active Steering = Mild, Physics = professional, ASM = off, Traction Control = 4 (I lower it in car if necessary)
Just a tip ,,you will be lots quicker with all asists off! apart from abs.

Greetings.

I'm a Pro Physics user, and I have only played with this mode. No one has the right to be agains Std players, since Std mode does not interfere with Pro play mode.

As far as that happens, it can also have Super-Easy-Just-Turn-No-Braking mode, I just won't play it.

As said before, for every Pro player, there are 5-10 Std players, so we are the minor part, and should thank PD for thinking of us.

;)

Back