• 154 comments
Australia
Australia
2015_ford_falcon_xr8_01_3-0725-m:360x265.jpg

2014 Ford Falcon XR8
2015_ford_falcon_xr6_01_1-0725-m:340x250.jpg

2014 Ford Falcon XR6

8VPenb8.jpg

FGX is the new model code for the last Ford Falcons.

Ford Australia farewell the last Australian made Ford Falcons to make way for the imported Ford Mustang.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/#/59447/2015-ford-falcon-revealed-in-xr8-xr6-trim

Edit: Even though the Falcon and all Ford AU production has ceased, Prodrive Racing Australia(PRA) are continuing to wave the blue oval flag for Ford Performance.
1474505207882.jpg

Last edited:
Front reminds me quite a bit of the Mondeo/Fusion. Going off of those pics it looks a lot nicer than the current FG. Not too sure about those wheels on XR8 though.

Last edited:
The wheels didn't suit the 335GT either. A nice mesh wheel or the ones from the SHELBY GT500 would have been cool.
Carrying over the doors look out if place. I do hope a racing version makes it if The Pepsi Max Crew use Falcons until '16.

Ah, I see that Ford is keeping the "evos concept" styled grill for the Falcon as well. I like that idea! 👍

Honestly though about the wheels, I kinda prefer the wheels on the XR8 to the ones on the XR6 there. The XR6 wheels look funny to me.

I think the new XR8 may be the best looking car to come out of this country since the Monaro CV8. It manages to look aggressive but not brash, clean but not soft and is (IMO) a lot nicer looking all around than the outgoing FG.

If it's a flop than it will probably become something of a collector's item, treasured in buyers garages until one day they'll be worth more than they sell for new. I really hope it''s a huge success though, that way they'll be cheaper in ten years time when I might want a 4 door car.

Last edited:
I usually complain on how similar the cars look when they're in one brand like Audis and Bimmers but dayumm the Falcon looks great even though it looks similar to Fusion and Mondeo. Somebody make a Mad Max version of this !

I always felt the front should be flat/blunt like the original falcons of past years. Too late for a come back now. It would depend on the demand by USA, Mid-East and Asian markets for Ford to revive it.

They should just bring them on over to compete against the SS

I'd be willing to bet that, somewhere, Ford has a mule for the next Falcon/Falcon replacement that's based on a slightly stretched version of the new Mustang chassis. They're going to have to do more with that car to justify its existence, and it goes along nicely with the rumors that Lincoln would get something out of it. So, a Ford-faced model for Australia and the Middle East with a Lincoln-branded version for the US? Makes some level of sense.

It is funny how the Falcon was first and should have stayed along side the Mustang through out its production. What a combination it would have been in the US. The CTS changing its style, may be ripe for the Falcon/LTD/4-DOOR T-BIRD/Continental return.

Only other problem is that it gets in the way of the next Taurus, which is supposed to be a larger version of the Fusion. So, it may get a little smaller and a little lighter, but it is still nevertheless a full-size sedan. Granted, Hyundai/Kia can run around with two full-size sedans on their plate, so, maybe Ford can too.

I guess I'd look at it this way:

If GM can make a business case with the SS sedan, Ford may be able to do the same thing with a model designed to return to Australia. As a performance sedan with luxury qualities, with a bit of a premium over the Mustang, it could make a nice option. They really want to put a flag up the PR pole? Jam that 2.7L EcoBoost V6 in there.

Looks good, seems appropriate for the farewell.
By the way, I didn't knew the Mustang will replace it, kinda weird when you consider that it's a completely different type of car. If it means a Mustang V8 Supercar, I'm all for it. :D

Looks good, seems appropriate for the farewell.
By the way, I didn't knew the Mustang will replace it, kinda weird when you consider that it's a completely different type of car. If it means a Mustang V8 Supercar, I'm all for it. :D

You should read the V8 supercars thread when it comes to the Australian cars you'll see the info before someone provides it with its own thread. Same thing with Holden leaving V8s as well by 2017 I think and it basically being Camaros imported to Australia. It's still quite sad to see Australian icons like the Falcon and Commodore/Monaro be put into retirement.

Only other problem is that it gets in the way of the next Taurus, which is supposed to be a larger version of the Fusion. So, it may get a little smaller and a little lighter, but it is still nevertheless a full-size sedan. Granted, Hyundai/Kia can run around with two full-size sedans on their plate, so, maybe Ford can too.

I guess I'd look at it this way:

If GM can make a business case with the SS sedan, Ford may be able to do the same thing with a model designed to return to Australia. As a performance sedan with luxury qualities, with a bit of a premium over the Mustang, it could make a nice option. They really want to put a flag up the PR pole? Jam that 2.7L EcoBoost V6 in there.

The F6 did quite well here, posting more grunt than the V8 and undercutting it in price. It's is an alternative and pretty much the only high hp turbo next to a GT-R and Supra down here for little money.
The balance of the F6 is much better as well. Just that noise of the 8 keeps purist of muscle cars wanting it. Anyway, I do hope there is a revival. MERCEDES have the new V8TT. it ain't dead yet.
Now, we need that Mustang to sell to keep Ford happy.

The F6 did quite well here, posting more grunt than the V8 and undercutting it in price. It's is an alternative and pretty much the only high hp turbo next to a GT-R and Supra down here for little money.
The balance of the F6 is much better as well. Just that noise of the 8 keeps purist of muscle cars wanting it. Anyway, I do hope there is a revival. MERCEDES have the new V8TT. it ain't dead yet.
Now, we need that Mustang to sell to keep Ford happy.

Luckily it's mustang so it will sell, I think the Falcon wont make it over here because the business model between Chevy and Ford are quite different. I mean I agree with you guys it could be slotted in at Lincoln for example (but would be overly priced). To me the reasoning for the SS is silly, a powerful sedan with basically a mesh of the past C6 models underneath it that is really only there for the purist. GM claims it slots into the void the G8 left behind...I mean let's all just think about that for a bit

One of my cousins bought a V6 CTS coupe. How well are they selling? Is it hurting Camaro sales? How is GMs pricing compared to a Z28/SS vs CTVs and Mustang there?
I mean, marketing wise, I just can't see how Holden/HSV never got the Cadillac brand in their showrooms. Especially Escalade. I see plenty 300Cs here in Melbourne, as far as low volume cars.
Just a shame the Falcon couldn't be kept as ultra low volume. If people are going to part with $60-70k, exclusivity be thy name. A rework of the interior and capped at 2,000 cars a year. Could work.
Look at the WRX STi here. It was a 70k car until this new model. I work for Subaru and it's selling well. Guys with GCs are selling them to buy the new model(I'd keep the classic REX personally).
But that Corvette. It makes everything right in GMs line up. I see a couple Challengers as well. Will be fresh to Mustangs rippjng it up in and OFF the streets. :)

One of my cousins bought a V6 CTS coupe. How well are they selling? Is it hurting Camaro sales? How is GMs pricing compared to a Z28/SS vs CTVs and Mustang there?
I mean, marketing wise, I just can't see how Holden/HSV never got the Cadillac brand in their showrooms. Especially Escalade. I see plenty 300Cs here in Melbourne, as far as low volume cars.
Just a shame the Falcon couldn't be kept as ultra low volume. If people are going to part with $60-70k, exclusivity be thy name. A rework of the interior and capped at 2,000 cars a year. Could work.
Look at the WRX STi here. It was a 70k car until this new model. I work for Subaru and it's selling well. Guys with GCs are selling them to buy the new model(I'd keep the classic REX personally).
But that Corvette. It makes everything right in GMs line up. I see a couple Challengers as well. Will be fresh to Mustangs rippjng it up in and OFF the streets. :)

Well CTS V6 sales are usually for those who want to buy a classy car due to the what type of work they're doing (business and law types) and usually the ATS seems to be picked. Plus not to be like those that continually joke but CTS deliveries have stopped due to the ignitions earlier last month, not sure when it will pick back up. The Camaro is doing fine and smashing the sales of the other two and the SS and Z28 aren't in the same ball park on pricing one is a 30k car the other is 75k, the latter is closer to CTS-V price but the two cars are totally different personalities. The Mustang is comparable in price too the Camaro when we're talking about the V6 and GT.

Yeah I was always curious about that too with Cadillac and Lincoln/Mercury never being down there for the luxury arm. I agree the limit could work since that's what GM is doing with the SS, it's a very limited car and basically only given to dealerships in the States that sold I think ZR1, Z06s, ZL1 and what not.

Last edited:
As I recall, GM only expected to do a volume of around 3,000-5,000 annual units for the SS sedan. As of the second week of June, they had sold 1,150 according to KBB, which is give/take where they expected them to be, considering how short of a time they had been on the market. I've seen maybe a handful even here in domestic-friendly Michigan, but I'm sure that number will steadily climb. Adding the features that people really wanted (manual transmission, Magnaride suspension) for 2015 will help sales along next year, I'd think.

Granted, it doesn't sell as well as the Charger/300 SRT, but I think that ignores a pretty big quality about each: They're uncivilized not just compared to the big V8 German sedans, but the SS as well. The Chevrolet does a much better job emulating the Germans, but at a much lower price. If Ford can jump into that same $45-50k segment with a 420+ BHP EcoBoost V6, reasonably luxurious trim, and a controlled sporting demeanor, they could run up some sales. But, I don't really think you could expect to sell more than 5k a year in much of anything there. The Germans have it locked down, the Koreans are jumping into the fray, it is probably best left to the Americans to make their own niche out of it.

I would love to see the Falcon here in the US and have been saying so since I "discovered" The Aussie falcon back in the late '90s but I agree with LMSCorvetteGT2 there isn't much of a market for it. I don't think I could steal enough sales from the Charger/300 owners to make money. The G8 didn't do hot and the SS isn't going get much sales volume. It does pain me to say so especially since I have kids and would love to have a 4door sporty ford.

I would love to see the Falcon here in the US and have been saying so since I "discovered" The Aussie falcon back in the late '90s but I agree with LMSCorvetteGT2 there isn't much of a market for it. I don't think I could steal enough sales from the Charger/300 owners to make money. The G8 didn't do hot and the SS isn't going get much sales volume. It does pain me to say so especially since I have kids and would love to have a 4door sporty ford.

Ford would tell you to go buy a Taurus SHO...I think we'd laugh at the idea.

It's sad, the only way to have a Ford Falcon in the US is by importing one.

How?

Ford would tell you to go buy a Taurus SHO...I think we'd laugh at the idea.

Depends. I really like the current SHO, but I'm only one of a few. The next Taurus IIRC is rumored to be going on an enlarged version of the Fusion chassis, and will probably carryover the same 3.5L EcoBoost V6. With that weight loss that is expected, it could be one hell of a performance sedan, even if it lacks the V8 and rear-drive of the Chevy SS and Charger SRT it'd go up against.

Depends. I really like the current SHO, but I'm only one of a few. The next Taurus IIRC is rumored to be going on an enlarged version of the Fusion chassis, and will probably carryover the same 3.5L EcoBoost V6. With that weight loss that is expected, it could be one hell of a performance sedan, even if it lacks the V8 and rear-drive of the Chevy SS and Charger SRT it'd go up against.

It doesn't need to be a V8 RWD, I laugh at the idea because I've driven one and it was awful, I kept waiting there to be surprised or have a kick in the seat from it. For a SHO it was to reserved and that is why I don't respect the car as much as I wish I could.

Sorry they couldn't come up with a round tail light combination. My wife had a '60 XK Falcon a few years back. Those signature rocket engine lights would be a nice revisit. Even if it was like the Malibu sold here or R35..

Back