Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
PC was never undrivea
Is there bump drafting and side-drafting on the ovals?

BUMP drafting as the word implies includes "bumping" the guy in front, right? :) AFAIK (I don't follow nascar) that is not allowed anymore.

In any case, yes, both draft effects work and already did in pC1 (the "bump" draft did at least). It actually works up to a few cars ahead too but I don't remember how many. Still better than with just the one car ahead though

PC was never undrivea
BUMP drafting as the word implies includes "bumping" the guy in front, right? :) AFAIK (I don't follow nascar) that is not allowed anymore.
In any case, yes, both draft effects work and already did in pC1 (the "bump" draft did at least). It actually works up to a few cars ahead too but I don't remember how many. Still better than with just the one car ahead though
Yes, bumping softly.
Both effects, right ? (side is in video).

I remember the discussion about the side draft and bump draft was already on pC1 and sure is on pC2.

I remember the discussion from side draft on pc2 though so I'm assuming it is working and probably was already in pC1 too.

If it is working as intended (or at all) and how much affects a car... beats me. Not to mention if it is really felt other than speed going upwards.

I'd say it's something that is tested better on ovals (probably with the appropriate cars only too) but since I don't drive at oval tracks...

But we should expect both, yes.

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/07/16/the-project-cars-2-july-status-update/

This sentence in particular has me excited for PCars2:

'Driving-wise, I still have to reiterate that it feels like a polished, complete version of rFactor 2, albeit with significantly better force feedback.'

It's the rest of that paragraph that really gets me hyped......

"SMS are at a point in development where they are still fine-tuning some cars for more authentic lap times, so I’m not exactly jumping at the bit to record a few videos of myself hotlapping because there are cars on the roster highly subject to change in terms of performance, but the most exciting part is that a lot of the most popular vehicles, right now we can jump in for an online practice session, throw down a few laps, check basically any IMSA qualifications sheet over the past two or three years, and we’re bang on in terms of lap times. Comparing on-board footage is also extremely gratifying as well; there have been a few times where out of my own curiosity I’ve synced up a Le Mans or Daytona Road Course lap of mine with the real life track record, and it’s not just the lap time that’s accurate; it’s the line, the pitch & attitude of the vehicle.. It’s something that’s really exciting to see, especially when other simulators aren’t at that level just yet."

The bolded parts in particular!! :bowdown::cheers:

It's the rest of that paragraph that really gets me hyped......

"SMS are at a point in development where they are still fine-tuning some cars for more authentic lap times, so I’m not exactly jumping at the bit to record a few videos of myself hotlapping because there are cars on the roster highly subject to change in terms of performance, but the most exciting part is that a lot of the most popular vehicles, right now we can jump in for an online practice session, throw down a few laps, check basically any IMSA qualifications sheet over the past two or three years, and we’re bang on in terms of lap times. Comparing on-board footage is also extremely gratifying as well; there have been a few times where out of my own curiosity I’ve synced up a Le Mans or Daytona Road Course lap of mine with the real life track record, and it’s not just the lap time that’s accurate; it’s the line, the pitch & attitude of the vehicle.. It’s something that’s really exciting to see, especially when other simulators aren’t at that level just yet."

The bolded parts in particular!! :bowdown::cheers:

After starting a big thread regarding pcars inaccurate lap times i agree, although i take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Attitude & pitch are what I love the most. Replicated so well with the Sierra and Falcon. Can't wait to see how the R32 hits those curbs. When watching the real car in old videos, the suspension is so tight.

Anybody know about wheel set ups ? Pc1 was so overly complicated for many/most of us. Has this now been simplified ? It really put me off pc1, having to constantly fiddle around with wheel settings. It really should be this simple....pick your wheel out of supported wheels list. Select either low, medium or full ffb. Full ffb being the option that will give you the most realistic feel and how the car feels in real life.

Anybody know about wheel set ups ? Pc1 was so overly complicated for many/most of us. Has this now been simplified ? It really put me off pc1, having to constantly fiddle around with wheel settings. It really should be this simple....pick your wheel out of supported wheels list. Select either low, medium or full ffb. Full ffb being the option that will give you the most realistic feel and how the car feels in real life.
Yes, its much simpler now. You have 3 presets for the "style" of FFB and also 3 or 4 gains you can tweak with description for each one. Simple stuff.

The narration is Spanish but the menus are in English so you can read them yourself. It is very much simplified this time around:

Shorter version but in English:

Will there be more AI spin outs/retirements due to damage this time around? I want to see more incidents!

Me too. I'm loving that aspect of the new Assetto Corsa AI update, it adds a nice level of unpredictability to races. Plus, watching two AI take each other out and spin off the track ahead of you is cooool.

WOW!!! The control we will be given is more than I expected. :bowdown:👍

BUT, BUT, there is always a BUT, Does the console offer 100% same control settings? Or, will the console version get a trimmed downed?
No idea at this point. Have to wait and see when a video of the console menus is released. I don't expect it to be much different other than in pc specific areas like fine tuning the graphics fidelity.

I got my g29 Logitech steering wheel last week and my stand is out for delivery today:D I can't wait. I'm ready for pcars2, NASCAR heat 2, and gt Sport. I'm gonna see how the wheel feels on the current racing games I have like pcars1 and assetto Corsa. I already know that it's not go be a great feeling with the FFB with pcars1 based off of what people said about it. The last wheel I had didn't have a FFB option. I'm still excited though.

Me too. I'm loving that aspect of the new Assetto Corsa AI update, it adds a nice level of unpredictability to races. Plus, watching two AI take each other out and spin off the track ahead of you is cooool.

Theres actually spin outs in AC?! which update was it?

I got my g29 Logitech steering wheel last week and my stand is out for delivery today:D I can't wait. I'm ready for pcars2, NASCAR heat 2, and gt Sport. I'm gonna see how the wheel feels on the current racing games I have like pcars1 and assetto Corsa. I already know that it's not go be a great feeling with the FFB with pcars1 based off of what people said about it. The last wheel I had didn't have a FFB option. I'm still excited though.
I wouldn't judge the FFB of PCars2 on rumours you heard about PCars1. It's a different game and deserves to be evaluated on it's own merits. They've completely changed the FFB menus in response to fan concerns and I expect they've paid some attention to the actual FFB as well.

Out of the box, to me AC feels the worst out of all serious sims on the PC. To this day, I have no idea what people mean by superior road feel in AC. In terms of what the car is doing, I can feel it just fine both in AC and PC and in very similar ways. I tried this many times using the BMW Z4 GT3. What road feel means to me is feeling the bumps and undulations on the road that actually affect the attitude of the car and again, I can feel this in both sims. What AC seems to have in addition by default is what I call "road noise", that seems to be a 100% canned effect, having nothing to do with the road surface, as it is similar across all tracks. As far as I can it's simply an added white noise signal in the FFB, not physics based at all. I really don't like it, as it tells me nothing real in terms of what's happening to my car, and only serves to hide the weaker, but still very useful part of the physics based FFB signal.

And so this is why I give very little credence to anyone when talking about feel in sims. In the end (it doesn't even matter...), the only thing that will matter is how each of us will feel when driving them. It's important to mention though that this has nothing to with physics, the results of which can be directly measured with telemetry and compared to the real world.

Sorry but this statement is inaccurate.

It's actually correct. AC does have 'canned' FFB effects and road feel is one of them.
On PC you can turn it off if you don't like it.

I have turned it off in AC because it makes all tracks feel the same.

I was born 2 miles from Dundrod in North West Belfast. So it holds a special place in my heart. About 17 years ago I actually created a virtual Dundrod in Max for my own jollies which I later passed to the nascent SimBin team I started in 2002. I'm not sure what happened to it but these days it would need some laser scanning :) I'll probably do it for nostalgia at some point.

Hi Ian. Now that we are fairly close to release, what are the chances of Dundrod making it into this first initial release?

It's actually correct. AC does have 'canned' FFB effects and road feel is one of them.

And I'm sure I read that Kunos added that canned effect due to player feedback, as in they said they wanted to feel more, so the devs put it in there.

Nope road feel comes from the physics in AC, it is not noise. :)

The "road effect" is totally coming from the physic engine, it's amplifying the effect of load changes on the FF, so if the load doesn't change (ie, the road is flat) you get nothing... it's not a procedural noise added over the surface.
Slip effect is also coming from what the tyres are doing so, again, it's strictly related to what it is happening.
The only effect that is 100% "canned" is the curb effect... as it is also happening on curbs that are 100% smooth

Is this good news or bad news?

'Well, ****.

I just learned that it turns out that the devs ran out of time to implement a controller-sensing default setup, so there will only be one default setup per car, and it will be tweaked for pad-playability only (because market realities dictate that pC2 HAS to be drivable on pads out of box).

Yes, it's not ideal and nobody is happy about it internally. I'm HOPING that default, SMS-blessed wheel setups will be made available somewhere. The guys at SMS are open to this and there's an ongoing discussion about how we (WMDers) can help make it happen.

Terribly sorry that this functionality didn't make it in. :( It's definitely not because SMS didn't care enough -- sometimes **** just happens...'

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/full-project-cars-2-car-list-reveal.137887/page-8#post-2526876

It will get panned in the sim community no doubt about it, which is a shame.

Back