Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Details Tuning and Upgrades

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 125 comments
The 650 GT3 is my 'go to' car in ACC, I utterly love the thing.

I'm doing the career with the 650S and do some hotlaps o short races with the 720S ,two great cars for sure,love how different each car is that SIM.

Going back to Pcars...I loved the 2 first Pcars, even with their flaws and bugs..but pshift3 don't convince me..and after Pcars 2 I can't believe anymore in their "marketing talks" ...I just remember every time how Ian came here on GTPLANET "promoting" Pcars 2... with the best FFB on the market, the "nailed" controller behaviour , etc,etc

Sure will follow the progress of information and after launch follow reviews and sensations of the users.
But I think I will stick with Pcars 2,where at least we enjoy proper online racing leagues and events simulating a full racing weekend.

@MagpieRacer like I said to Scaff, I just don't believe any word anymore from their "marketing talks" ...just go to the old Pcars 2 threads and look to the "marketing talks" and what was the real thing.

No tyre wear,and always on optimal performance.. affects phisycs, cause it's part of it, no fuel consumption, makes difference in weight,car balance and behaviour ,so affects phisycs.
Dummed down damage, affects phisycs.

Upgrading a car, yes...you can ask me what make it arcady..ok.
You can sell me that the upgrades are in a "realistic" way.

But did they take all cars, upgrade it to see how the behaviour is with each different configuration possible ? Sure not, and that affects phisycs...it's already really difficult with the technical cad and trying the car on track to properly simulate that specific car..
If you add so much variations on it...makes it practically impossible to get it "realistic" simulated, so it's it's "more arcady" in my point of view.

Last edited:
This is just becoming more like what Forza Motorsport currently is but with less sim elements. I don't care about upgrade packages for street cars, but leave the race cars that are already in there alone.

This is basically becoming a Race Driver Grid thanks to Codemasters.

I doubt it is Codemaster fault, 3 years of development with SMS alone and just 7 months of Codemasters ownership. Also, SMS themselves came out and said removing pit stops is their decision early in game development.

Maybe slapping a "3" on it might due to Codemasters want its IP to be kept in line like their Dirt series where numbered IP is arcade while a separate one for more serious sim.

This is basically becoming a Race Driver Grid thanks to Codemasters.

This game has nearly nothing to do with Codemasters. SMS was acquired some months ago and they are working on PCars 3 from Pcars 2 release. So no. Stop blaming Codemasters for it + Codemasters games have Pit-stops and tyre wear so argument that they made SMS to remove it is invalid.

I'm doing the career with the 650S and do some hotlaps o short races with the 720S ,two great cars for sure,love how different each car is that SIM.

Going back to Pcars...I loved the 2 first Pcars, even with their flaws and bugs..but pshift3 don't convince me..and after Pcars 2 I can't believe anymore in their "marketing talks" ...I just remember every time how Ian came here on GTPLANET "promoting" Pcars 2... with the best FFB on the market, the "nailed" controller behaviour , etc,etc

Sure will follow the progress of information and after launch follow reviews and sensations of the users.
But I think I will stick with Pcars 2,where at least we enjoy proper online racing leagues and events simulating a full racing weekend.

@MagpieRacer like I said to Scaff, I just don't believe any word anymore from their "marketing talks" ...just go to the old Pcars 2 threads and look to the "marketing talks" and what was the real thing.

No tyre wear,and always on optimal performance.. affects phisycs, cause it's part of it, no fuel consumption, makes difference in weight,car balance and behaviour ,so affects phisycs.
Dummed down damage, affects phisycs.

Upgrading a car, yes...you can ask me what make it arcady..ok.
You can sell me that the upgrades are in a "realistic" way.

But did they take all cars, upgrade it to see how the behaviour is with each different configuration possible ? Sure not, and that affects phisycs...it's already really difficult with the technical cad and trying the car on track to properly simulate that specific car..
If you add so much variations on it...makes it practically impossible to get it "realistic" simulated, so it's it's "more arcady" in my point of view.

I have similar thoughts but I still think this could be nice game. Just not the PCars i love.

Never thought I’d see the people that bought us GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends go down the arcade route again. At least not after the NFS Shift games.
Obviously they think that this direction will net them more money. They’re probably right. I’m sure the NFS fan base will pick it up.

I’ll give this one a miss despite over 1000 hours in Pcars 2. Good luck to them. Sure is an interesting direction change from Bell End of the road for a lot of sim fans though I would guess but the more casual user base will love it I’m sure.

This game has nearly nothing to do with Codemasters. SMS was acquired some months ago and they are working on PCars 3 from Pcars 2 release. So no. Stop blaming Codemasters for it + Codemasters games have Pit-stops and tyre wear so argument that they made SMS to remove it is invalid.

I have similar thoughts but I still think this could be nice game. Just not the PCars i love.

Yes,can be a nice game towards newcomers and casual croud.
If they really nailed the controller implementation, which this time hasn't adjustments options ,and if they have a very good FFB all around for all the cars without the need off tweaking like the previous 2 project cars.

But towards online racing and online leagues and tournaments, I'm really not sure if it will convince, cause even GT Sport has basic semi-automatic pitstops.

Like I've said before already in an other post, ok, towards an career offline mode , short races with no pitstops, tunning and upgrade the cars can be fun, but towards online or personalized offline they should give the option to have pitstops,tyre wear,fuel consumption, car categories and an "no upgrade cars" option.

So you make an real "shift based" game without letting down the project cars fans offering a good complete game in my thoughts.

The way they bang on about upgrades etc it's as if Forza hasn't existed all these years, and Gran Turismo before that

But importantly you can't upgrade cars like this in the latest GT and the way FM7's career mode worked, cars were limited to their 'division', which meant most upgrades available couldn't be used and you could only ever race against other cars in that 'division'.

Last edited:
Im ready for a fresh driving game I hope this delivers, still a lot of folks pre-judging it I see. Opinions are best formed after trying a game out, the feel of the game has yet to be established, certainly video's / blog posts dont give any impression of the true gameplay. Im sure there will be a backlash from some, but you may have the best of both worlds with a true sim (pc2) and an arcade variant of project cars franchise too. Variety is a good thing, going forward on the new generation of consoles I would like to see this franchise branch out into two distinct styles like the dirt series has.

Im ready for a fresh driving game I hope this delivers, still a lot of folks pre-judging it I see. Opinions are best formed after trying a game out, the feel of the game has yet to be established, certainly video's / blog posts dont give any impression of the true gameplay. Im sure there will be a backlash from some, but you may have the best of both worlds with a true sim (pc2) and an arcade variant of project cars franchise too. Variety is a good thing, going forward on the new generation of consoles I would like to see this franchise branch out into two distinct styles like the dirt series has.

Unfortunately I don't need to get a feel for it to know that key motorsport elements (tyre wear & temperature changes, fuel use, pitstops) have been removed, thereby removing any kind of strategic aspect from racing. Doesn't matter how good or bad the handling is, without those elements I'm out.

I don't know a lot about the 'track day' experience, but I reckon more people have put performance (upgrade) parts on their cars than have done an actual pit stop. I am willing to bet there are very few who have, actually. So, in that sense, it mimics real life a little more.

I also think there are 2 schools of thought on the upgrades and online racing. Those that race competitively with strangers and those who race with friends. If you race with strangers, you're going to be very worried about things being equal, and rightly so. If you're with friends, it's pretty easy to have something in place like a 'gentlemen's rule' where you don't use cars that are overpowered in a certain class.

For me, I almost never race with strangers. So it's a big part of the reason I'm so excited

I don't need to get a feel of it when the devs are continuing straight up lie about it being "all the sim you could want" when core sim features important to circuit racing games have been stripped out.

Upgrade system on single player= fun, always fun.

"" "" "" multiplayer= the ultimate mess and the last thing anyone wants when it
comes to balance, and pc3 won't sure be any different in that aspect.

Unfortunately I don't need to get a feel for it to know that key motorsport elements (tyre wear & temperature changes, fuel use, pitstops) have been removed, thereby removing any kind of strategic aspect from racing. Doesn't matter how good or bad the handling is, without those elements I'm out.

I don't need to get a feel of it when the devs are continuing straight up lie about it being "all the sim you could want" when core sim features important to circuit racing games have been stripped out.

These are perfectly valid opinions and thankfully you dont need to purchase this game as you have already been catered for with PC2. Some people dont think pitstops / fuel use are that important though and may even be put off by them. Accessibility is a good way of bringing in new fans to the franchise who may graduate to the full sim aspects in due course. I think SMS are doing a "Dirt 4" at the moment somewhere in between sim and arcade. I think properly diverging and using the right branding would help here, there is certainly some ambiguity about what this title is going to be. Maybe the best of both worlds maybe not? The Jury is out until its been played though, im staying open minded at the moment.

These are perfectly valid opinions and thankfully you dont need to purchase this game as you have already been catered for with PC2. Some people dont think pitstops / fuel use are that important though and may even be put off by them. Accessibility is a good way of bringing in new fans to the franchise who may graduate to the full sim aspects in due course. I think SMS are doing a "Dirt 4" at the moment somewhere in between sim and arcade. I think properly diverging and using the right branding would help here, there is certainly some ambiguity about what this title is going to be. Maybe the best of both worlds maybe not? The Jury is out until its been played though, im staying open minded at the moment.
This is absolutely the right way to do it. Stay opened minded. I also agree on the title. I think if they called it Project Cars Revolution then the community wouldn't have been in such an uproar.

@fernandito I love it for multiplayer. As I said earlier, I think it depends who you play with

I was talking to Ian bell in the pub over the weekend and he confirmed that the numbered project cars series are going in the arcade direction with “project cars racing” the new sim title.

This might not have actually happened, but nice idea anyhow!

((((((((VAROOOOOM))))))))

Can I just mention something I noticed after rewatching this?...

The music from 0:42-0:58 has a distinctly familiar tone to it...it sounds like something out of NFS Carbon, especially the bit at 0:56.

They're really hitting that NFS vibe...and then in the next clip, with the GT3 cars, a more PCARS 2-esque style of music begins to play.

Them tiny details, eh...

I don't know a lot about the 'track day' experience, but I reckon more people have put performance (upgrade) parts on their cars than have done an actual pit stop. I am willing to bet there are very few who have, actually. So, in that sense, it mimics real life a little more.
Where do you think you start and finish every stint of a track day?

The pit-lane.

As such if we are talking about track days, the number who have experience in a pit-lane (which is the bit that has been closed off) has to outnumber those that have upgraded the cars. Particularly given that unless you have upgraded the brake system fully you are going to be stopping in the pits every 3 to 4 laps (which reminds me of the chap over at the PC forums who claimed to have done 25 hot laps at a Brands Hatch track day in a single stint in a stock road car, didn;t have the heart to tell him he was either very, very slow or lying).

Betcha a twenny most of the people who commenting will be buying the game.
And that discounts them from commenting on what they see as negatives in what way?

Some people dont think pitstops / fuel use are that important though and may even be put off by them.
Who are these people, as the option of them certainly doesn't seem to put people off in either GT or FM, both of which manage to outsell the PC series by a wide margin.

I would understand this argument if they had both been mandatory in the PC series, but they never have, let's be honest the reason why they are out I strongly suspect is that SMS couldn't get them working correctly with the AI. The 'it will appeal to more people' line is a marketing line to explain the removal away. I have quite literally never seen a single person (in my decade-plus on the largest racing game forum) state they are not buying a title because it has optional pit-stops and fuel use.

Last edited:
@Scaff does that actually count as a pit-stop though? I would assume you can 'return to pit lane' or garage, or whatever, to tune your car when doing hot laps, practice or qualifying in the game. I was talking about actual pit stops, complete with crew coming out to re-fuel,change tires, etc.

@davidt33 yep haha. It all depends what the game is like. I'm sure if the game is good, they're gonna get. Unless they ONLY play hardcore racing sims

@Scaff does that actually count as a pit-stop though? I would assume you can 'return to pit lane' or garage, or whatever, to tune your car when doing hot laps, practice or qualifying in the game. I was talking about actual pit stops, complete with crew coming out to re-fuel,change tires, etc.
The pit lanes are completely blocked off, you can't enter or exit the pits lane at all, and stopping in the pit lane is by its very definition a pit-stop.

I've done enough track days to know its an integral part of the experience, to be honest, you spend far longer in the pit lane 'stopped' that you do on the track itself.

The pit lanes are completely blocked off, you can't enter or exit the pits lane at all, and stopping in the pit lane is by its very definition a pit-stop.

I've done enough track days to know its an integral part of the experience, to be honest, you spend far longer in the pit lane 'stopped' that you do on the track itself.
What I'm saying is that you can probably just bring up a menu and go to pit lane, then use the same menu to enter the track after you've done what you want to. Yes they're blocked off, but I feel pretty confident you can still use them to tune your car and maybe switch out parts.

You just won't get the experience of driving into them

Who are these people, as the option of them certainly doesn't seem to put people off in either GT or FM, both of which manage to outsell the PC series by a wide margin.

Are you seriously suggesting everyone likes strategy and by extension everyone who buys GT Sport and Forza do so for this reason alone? I for one find it quite tedious, I would rather beat someone on track. Its okay to be passionate, but you cant expect everyone to see things the same way as yourself.

What I'm saying is that you can probably just bring up a menu and go to pit lane, then use the same menu to enter the track after you've done what you want to. Yes they're blocked off, but I feel pretty confident you can still use them to tune your car and maybe switch out parts.

You just won't get the experience of driving into them
Which for me loses a key part of what made Project Cars the title it is, same with AC and ACC, it's part of the immersion that is gone.

Are you seriously suggesting everyone likes strategy and by extension everyone who buys GT Sport and Forza do so for this reason alone? I for one find it quite tedious, I would rather beat someone on track. Its okay to be passionate, but you cant expect everyone to see things the same way as yourself.
Read my post again, I'm not expecting anyone to do anything of the sort.

I'm saying that I've never seen a single person put of by these factors being optional, if they were mandatory I could understand it, but they never have been in the PC series. As such, I fail to see that optional choices such as these have put anyone off purchasing a PC title in the past.

Best win I've had in a long time was a strategic one, pitting during the safety car in lap 3 of a 30ish lap race. Looking after the tyres at Nürburgring GP circuit whilst making sure to stay close enough to the leaders. They pit, whilst changing tyres because they come behind me anyway (mandatory stop) and start chasing me down only to hold on to the the lead by less than a second at the flag demanding every part of me to focus to avoid a mistake in the last laps when the tyres are almost entirely gone.

None of that will be possible in the next iteration and although a long head to head fight on track is amazing this to me is a key part of racing.

One other thing i don't understand (nothing to do with Evldave333) is why people are allowed to say 'yeah for sure i'll buy this game' but people can't say it's a no go for them whilst they have an equal amount of information about it available. For me at best it's gonna be a buy on sale, just like GT Sport was, and even that will depend a lot on the reviews and the added features (none of those announced so far are a net positive for me)

Can't wait for public online lobbies, NFS combined with Wreckfest gaining points for ramming.
Seeing as the trailer had the crashing element front and centre and the motion blurry racing after.

There's no points for ramming. Show me a video where XP has flagged for ramming someone.

Back