Project CARS Online Multiplayer Features (Update: Response from Ian Bell)

• Thread starter Markeeez18
  • 100 comments
Basically you want GT6 lobby system with 1 or 2 extra options, you and me both! :)

And you can join friends on PS4 but I think they need to be in a party, if there not then it doesn't give you the join option.

Saying that you should not need to do that via the PS4 OS system the game itself should let you do it!

Basically you want GT6 lobby system with 1 or 2 extra options, you and me both! :)

And you can join friends on PS4 but I think they need to be in a party, if there not then it doesn't give you the join option.

Saying that you should not need to do that via the PS4 OS system the game itself should let you do it!
No you don't need to be in Party. If you can't join either the lobby is full, the race started or the lobby is set to private (to be confirmed for the last one).

And yes I want at least the options I had in GT6 because now you absolutely cannot set tight rules and must rely on each other's good faith and trust to comply with regulations you've set in a series (for instance).

More rules like: mandatory pit stops, tyre/tuning restrictions...

I disagree with adding tuning restrictions. Its not like the game allows you to add a powerful turbo or strip a few hundred pounds of weight off the car. IMO the result of restricted tuning would basically be to give an advantage to those who can not tune while penalizing those who are used to having their car setup a certain way.

I can kind of see it for spec racing but even then I do not totally agree with it unless at least some things are allowed to be tuned, anti roll bars, brake bias and brake pressure should always be allowed as should any real assists that may be present on the car.

I disagree with adding tuning restrictions. Its not like the game allows you to add a powerful turbo or strip a few hundred pounds of weight off the car. IMO the result of restricted tuning would basically be to give an advantage to those who can not tune while penalizing those who are used to having their car setup a certain way.

I can kind of see it for spec racing but even then I do not totally agree with it unless at least some things are allowed to be tuned, anti roll bars, brake bias and brake pressure should always be allowed as should any real assists that may be present on the car.
I never said total restriction.
And why wouldn't you want an option as long as it is an option. It's like a toolbox, the more tools you have the more different things you can do. And in certain cases you may want to restrain certain settings (gearbox or air restrictor or fuel load for instance).
And that doesn't mean it's locked on stock neither.

That's what I meant by "tuning restrictions". 👍

PCars Online Multiplayer Features

This is specific to the online multiplayer sections and what need to be added to improve the racing community online side of this racing sim.
For me the most important features missing are:

- Host can kick players - It's so frustrating when you got noobs just crashing and trying to ram you off the road, need the ability to kick players and not vote, just doesn't work.

- Lapped cars become ghosts, again some players just trying to ruin your race.

- Chat system so players can actually communicate during the lobby time without a mic.

- Lobby names - being able to name your room is important for people who want different things (Clean, Drift, Fun, Drag, GT3 clean or kick, etc)

- More flexibility for the host changing the rules or class of car without making another lobby.

- Wheel or controller only rooms

- Lag improvement.

- Stronger penalties
to stop corner cutting and exceeding track limits.

- Free practice available while waiting in the lobby for the race to start.

- Adjustable count down timer so the host can adjust the length of time when the event finishes after the winner has crossed the line.

- Online player rating improved so the host can filter players prone to crashing or cheating.

- Ability to skip a race while staying in the lobby in case you need a break etc only Ready players go onto the track while Not Ready stay in lobby.

- Starting Grid Position options
- For example, last race positions, reverse grid, slowest to fastest, Random etc

- Country flag represented somewhere with your race ID.

- Online time trial lobby option - Set time limit, no collisions, fixed conditions and times post to leaderboards.

- Collisions options - on/off in online lobbies.

- Track map displayed while in lobby.

- Abort the race start option

- More servers when looking for an online race. This applies to PC as there will often be only 4 or 5 lobbies showing on some servers and changing servers through steam is far from ideal.

- Garage access while in the lobby.

- Ability to exit a race and return to the lobby rather than returning to the main menu.

- TV screen in lobby's so you can watch the track while waiting

- Tournaments/ Championships - Ability to create a set of races for your lobby with point allocations.

If anyone has any other suggestions lets write them down here and hope SMS reads this and listens to us fans.

:gtpflag:

Perfect!

I never said total restriction.
And why wouldn't you want an option as long as it is an option. It's like a toolbox, the more tools you have the more different things you can do. And in certain cases you may want to restrain certain settings (gearbox or air restrictor or fuel load for instance).
And that doesn't mean it's locked on stock neither.

That's what I meant by "tuning restrictions". 👍

That is not as bad as what I was picturing. One of my major issues with restrictions at this point is the lack of available online games on any given server. It is hard enough to find a race without them being restricted to the point that I don't want to run in them. Of course if they opened it up to where you could see lobbies from more than one server and some more search features it would not be a big deal at all.

Here's another idea that my crew and I tried in GT6 but would be nice to have as an option.

Handicap races where there is a staggered start and you can set the handicap times when a person starts. That is, enter any car, set a qualifying time and then have it adjusted for a staggered handicap start. Whether the game is smart enough to do the calculations itself or the host has to enter them either way it would be nice. But you need the feature that when some one 'foxes' during qualifying you penalise him for the next race.

Further, having the real life feature that they use in British Touring Car championships, you win a race you have 25kgs added to your weight. And you keep having weight added until you don't win anymore.

Just some added bonus features that would nice to have the game do rather than rely on "gentlemen's agreements" ;-)

These two suggestions are 'bonus" features I would like to see available down the track, the ones that are already listed are ones I would like to see implemented immediately.

Just some highlights...

- "Adjustable count down timer
so the host can adjust the length of time when the event finishes after the winner has crossed the line."
-NO.
Many people use this to "cheat", while first group cars pass trough finish line, may people that come back just get a DQ, and move out from the server. Many time because some a**h**e f*k the race behind. And make last people lose
deliberately. The time must be fixed for all.

Wheel or controller only rooms or both is a good idea that I miss too.

Lobby names, must be show inside of server host too.

Host can kick players direclty without vote. A must have!

Mandatory pitstop option, yes!

Have the option of having maps previously selected in our server rotation.

This is specific to the online multiplayer sections and what need to be added to improve the racing community online side of this racing sim.

- Host can kick players - It's so frustrating when you got noobs just crashing and trying to ram you off the road, need the ability to kick players and not vote, just doesn't work.

- Chat system so players can actually communicate during the lobby time without a mic.

- Lobby names - being able to name your room is important for people who want different things (Clean, Drift, Fun, Drag, GT3 clean or kick, etc)

- More flexibility for the host changing the rules or class of car without making another lobby.

- Lag improvement.

- Stronger penalties

- Adjustable count down timer so the host can adjust the length of time when the event finishes after the winner has crossed the line.

- Online player rating improved so the host can filter players prone to crashing or cheating.

- Ability to skip a race while staying in the lobby in case you need a break etc only Ready players go onto the track while Not Ready stay in lobby.

- For example, last race positions, reverse grid, slowest to fastest, Random etc

- Online time trial lobby option - Set time limit, no collisions, fixed conditions and times post to leaderboards.

- More servers when looking for an online race. This applies to PC as there will often be only 4 or 5 lobbies showing on some servers and changing servers through steam is far from ideal.

- Ability to exit a race and return to the lobby rather than returning to the main menu.

- Tournaments/ Championships - Ability to create a set of races for your lobby with point allocations.

- Mandatory pitstop option

- Tuning - Option to allow or disallow tuning in online lobby's.

If anyone has any other suggestions lets write them down here and hope SMS reads this and listens to us fans.

You nailed everything bro great job

- Lag improvement.

- Stronger penalties

- Mandatory pitstop option

- Tuning - Option to allow or disallow tuning in online lobby's.

great list! I would also like the host to have the option to save multiplayer lobby setups

Just added a little bit more to the Lobby name section - The class of racing needs to be more specific, e.g. Instead of the lobby displaying Open Wheel, they should add what class of open wheel is it e.g. Formula A/B/C/Rookie as you don't know what class it is which is frustrating as FA is bit to full on for me, much prefer FB/C, you don't know what it is until you join.

Also the liveries you choose in your garage stays the same when you go online and does not revert back to 'Random'.

Last edited:
We nearly forgot one of the most important ones.

Able to chose your own race number online. 0-99 at least but it would be nice to have 0-999. I mean really, even GT6 lets you do this on PS3 ;-)

Further to this when you initially set your preferences up when you first load the game it asks you for your nationality and preferred racing number BUT nowhere I have seen so far is this used.

Able to chose your own race number online. 0-99 at least but it would be nice to have 0-999. I mean really, even GT6 lets you do this on PS3 ;-)

Further to this when you initially set your preferences up when you first load the game it asks you for your nationality and preferred racing number BUT nowhere I have seen so far is this used.

That's a good shout :) I'd also like this feature, added :)

Able to chose your own race number online. 0-99 at least but it would be nice to have 0-999.

Cannot believe that this isn't in the game already, what an oversight!

:boggled:

Another one could be custom liveries for console versions which could be used online, but am I right in thinking you can make custom liveries on the PC version but not allowed to use them online? Only Solo mode?

I've asked this question multiple times and still haven't got a solid answer. Can you perform driver swaps online with another person? I.E league endurance races.

Really the lobby's need to be more like GT6! You would hab thought that they would take whatever there competition is doing better then them and learn from it! But no... They would do it worse.

Really the lobby's need to be more like GT6! You would hab thought that they would take whatever there competition is doing better then them and learn from it! But no... They would do it worse.

I do believe project cars will grow and grow with every month but just needs time, I'd still rather have the game now so we can actually play it than wait another year for it to be completely finished with all the features us fans want, we know lots are coming like pitstop crews, Indycar etc etc so were see what happens.

I'm happy that most of the developers at SMS are interacting with all the fans on their official forum and listening to everything we've got to say, never seen this before on a game and think more developers should follow suit.

Back