Project Gotham Racing: When Speed Isn't Enough

I wonder how many 'Breakups' or Divorces have happened because of Gaming too much :ill:

I imagine quite a few, but gaming is now becoming more acceptable than ever as something to do in your spare time. Luckily my previous relationship ending eventually lead me (not directly) to finding my wife who is an avid gamer so it all worked out in the end :D

When PGR4 came out I remember reading at the time the development team felt that they would only make another game, (after 3), if it offered something different to the previous games. They asked the community and PGR4 was released with weather, lots of weather :) and motorbikes.

Yes it's a massive shame they got closed as if you think about it at the time they were Microsoft's leading car game developer, by the time FM1 released Bizzaire had already released 3 games in the MSR/PGR series.

They really were ahead of the game, PGR4 was released with a few bugs that due to the Activision acquisition never got fixed, eg cannot run the game off the hard drive without the sound bug, no HUD in cockpit view, but based on how good the series was, imagine how great PGR5 would have been and I wonder where we would be now ?

I often think why didn't Microsoft purchase them ? Seemed like a no brainer at the time.

I also wonder why Martyn Chudley sold his company in the first place, I have never been able to find any details about this.

Edit, just found out, he wanted to spend time with his kids who were young at the time, fair enough.

Last edited:
The DLC for PGR3 & PGR4 was some of the first content to be de-listed by MS. There was also a digital download of PGR4 way back before that was a thing, but it was also pulled rather auickly.

I also wonder why Martyn Chudley sold his company in the first place, I have never been able to find any details about this.

Edit, just found out, he wanted to spend time with his kids who were young at the time, fair enough.

Yeah you can find a little bio on his website where he mentions that stuff. His wife was I believe a founding member too? He's also a budding photographer.

Yeah you can find a little bio on his website where he mentions that stuff. His wife was I believe a founding member too? He's also a budding photographer.

Yeah saw that. It's a shame that they couldn't just step down for a few years and let someone manage it for them. Such a talented developer gone to waste..

I keep saying I want to spend more time with the Forza Motorsport (and maybe even Forza Horizon) series. Well, I also wouldn't mind more time with the Project Gotham Racing series. My first taste of PGR was when I played the demo to Project Gotham Racing 2. I remembered doing the events in Yokohama and Florence. I then recalled doing the PGR3 demo around tracks like Tokyo. I have always liked this series, and it is a great shame it hasn't been continued. PGR4 was still a game I regarded for incredible rain effects. Even when I was one of the biggest XBOX haters, I still thought PGR1 was a great title.

So all in all, I have the utmost respect for the Project Gotham Racing series. I didn't have original hate for it like I did with Forza Motorsport. I would love to see a Project Gotham Racing 5 if it were possible. Either that, or know what the spiritual successor to PGR4 is, much like how Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast was the godfather of Project Gotham Racing.

Loved driving the ‘Ring variants in reverse. And others of course.

As I recall, some of Bizarre Creations ended up at Playground Games.

And you can feel it with Horizon 4 more than any other Horizon game. I remarked to a friend a few days ago how much of a PGR feel some of the events have (especially in Edinburgh)

Also: (Horizon 4 spoiler)
The LaRacer @ Horizon sequence of challenges pays homage to Project Gotham Racing by name as one of the top 10 driving experiences in games. She has you driving a Ferrari 355 to Edinburgh and then undertaking a PGR style skills challenge. Briliant.

Back