• 39 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Last edited:
I find it irritating that Kaz is so ecstatic to share all the stories of Gran Turismo's origins, yet PD refuses to share any upcoming things with us. Sure, he seems passionate about the popular car game franchise he conceived, but I just can't see the same passion in GT7.

Call me whiney, but I'd much rather hear from the man himself what we will get in GT7. Unless of course the sad truth is, GT7 is mostly dealt with and will remain the same while they've already moved on to GT8 development.

Great, more waiting... :scared:

Last edited:
I find it irritating that Kaz is so ecstatic to share all the stories of Gran Turismo's origins, yet PD refuses to share any upcoming things with us. Sure, he seems passionate about the popular car game franchise he conceived, but I just can't see the same passion in GT7.

Call me whiney, but I'd much rather hear from the man himself what we will get in GT7. Unless of course the sad truth is, GT7 is mostly dealt with and will remain the same while they've already moved on to GT8 development.

Great, more waiting... :scared:
I must admit, my first thought when I saw the article was "I really don't care" I just can't believe that PD have already moved to GT8. GT7 has only been out for 18 months. Why not simply update the game that is already there?
I don't mind paying for DLC if it means getting quality content ala Forza.
It's not as if GT8 would be ready for the next generation console and it seems as if now we only get one GT title per every generation console.
Some of the game content decisions truly baffle me. Which is such a shame because there are aspects of the game which are phenomenal.

The one thing that lets GT7 down is it's extremely dated car list. No new Audi RS models (well, none period), no recent BMWs (apart from the M2 Competition) No new Mercs apart from the AMG GT Black Series, no Cadillac, no Volvo, no Koenigsegg, no recent Porsches apart from the Taycan. Not many Aston Martins.
Generally, very Japanese-centric.

Does that surprise you in a Japanese game?

The original Gran Turismo had like less than 20 cars from outside of Japan :lol:
No, not really. But then, if you compare it to Forza for instance, it feels much more unbalanced. Forza seems to successfully incorporate American, British, German, Italian and Japanese cars far better. Not to mention a nice helping of Australian and Swedish manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, GT7 has come along way since the GT1 days but nevertheless it's still well behind Forza in this respect.

Good Morning Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

GT being a "hyper real driving simulator" would be a very bold claim, especially, considering the technology at the time:
Wikipedia
Hyperreality is a concept in post-structuralism that refers to the process of the evolution of notions of reality, leading to a cultural state of confusion between signs and symbols invented to stand in for reality, and direct perceptions of consensus reality.
Maybe it as just this concept that led to the game design decisions of today? Though, I think outside of Scapes and graphics, the game gets dogged and beaten by its competitors. Still a long way to go for PD.

Besides, they probably just meant "very, very realistic" or something.

As a player I'd rather hear more from Kaz about the future of GT7 and GT as a whole, instead of hearing more about the past. PD seem to be weary of putting out a road map for the game and series, which is rather annoying. The fellas behind the new Forza game are doing it, why can't PD come out and say, "we're working on xyz, it'll be out for release roughly around xyz on the xyz".

One simple sentence is all they need do.

Last edited:
GT being a "hyper real driving simulator" would be a very bold claim, especially, considering the technology at the time:

Maybe it as just this concept that led to the game design decisions of today? Though, I think outside of Scapes and graphics, the game gets dogged and beaten by its competitors. Still a long way to go for PD.

How was anyone supposed to know what the ceiling of realism was back in the early years of the 1990s? Did you expect him to call it "somewhat maybe vaguely real(ish) driving simulator" on a project pitch document? How are you supposed to make anything great if you don't even believe in it? :confused:

Last edited:
With the replies I see here, I think it needs to be said that we appreciate you covering this. It's sad that the current state of the series has led to such indifference to its history, and I'm finding myself in the same boat. If there were a good mix of everything: their plans for the future long and short term, thought processes behind current design choices, and stuff like that with tidbits like this sprinkled in there, that would be great. It's just hard to care about this much when there's much more relevant information that could be coming from these interviews.

After speaking of the difficulty of talking to car manufacturers — again noting that it was Toyota that became the first brand to get on board with Gran Turismo — Yamauchi comments that the situation is very different today.

Stating that car manufacturers are now approaching Polyphony Digital to get their new cars featured, or to design a vehicle for Vision Gran Turismo, Yamauchi muses if that’s because the 20-year olds who played Gran Turismo in the 1990s are now the 45-year olds at the center of the automotive brands.
This was a particularly interesting takeaway from the article. Not sure if I’d say that it shows but it instills some hope, or copium perhaps. Then again, could also mean manufacturers are approaching PD but unable to agree on a deal. And then of course it takes a long time until a model is ready to appear in the game, as we know.

Get new cars featured my ass, the cars here are just recycled junks.
Obviously for a game that is only about the past, the people also only talked about the past. It doesn't matter if it's GT7, GT8, or something else, the defect is PD itself.
No, not really. But then, if you compare it to Forza for instance, it feels much more unbalanced. Forza seems to successfully incorporate American, British, German, Italian and Japanese cars far better. Not to mention a nice helping of Australian and Swedish manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, GT7 has come along way since the GT1 days but nevertheless it's still well behind Forza in this respect.
Since when GT is ahead of Forza in any aspect. It's just a laughingstock Forza runs circle around.

Last edited:
"Car manufacturers are now approaching Polyphony Digital to get their new cars featured."

But cars from US-rival countries (or car brands that now owned by companies from US-rivals) are still not yet exist in GT. So I guess it is Polyphony Digital too that is playing the international politics.

Last edited:
But cars from US-rival countries (or car brands that now owned by companies from US-rivals) are still not yet exist in GT. So I guess it is Polyphony Digital too that is playing the international politics.
What does this mean?

"Car manufacturers are now approaching Polyphony Digital to get their new cars featured."

I literally heard that they rejected Keonigsegg and Zenvo calls.

Also I think Isdera offered their cars to be featured in GT.

I dont see any anything from PD.

Seems weird why they'd reject brands like that tbh.

Must be a reason, and not just that they don't fit with Kaz' 'ethos'/vision regardless of how eccentric/bizarre some may feel he is.

Last edited:

if this is true , then probably PD don't see them fit or there is some other unknown reason

while GT Movie had Koenigsegg Gemera in it :P

Last edited:
if this is true , then probably PD don't see them fit or there is some other unknown reason

while GT Movie had Koenigsegg Gemera in it :P
If so why did they licence Vector and Venturi.

GT2 and GT4 had lots of oddball brands. GT1 also featured TVR.

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Proposal for Original Gran Turismo Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

An interview with Kazunori Yamauchi posted recently to the official PlayStation Blog in Japan has revealed more about the origins of Gran Turismo, including the original concept presentation booklet...
Regardless of people's frustration with Gran Turismo games, I can appreciate this article because Kazunori's vision to make cars virtually acceptable has been a huge success, and brought together a lot of people.

I love to hear about what it was like for him when he began his journey. It wasn't easy, that's for sure.

I consider myself somewhat of an 'expert' in the evolution of racing games on consoles only because I have been playing them since their inception. My first game was 'Auto Racing' for the Intellivision (look it up lol). And I can unequivocally say that the first Gran Turismo was the most realistic racing game that came out for its time. No other game had that amount of cars with realistic physics to match. It was so realistic that it inspired me to buy a Logitech Driving Force as my first wheel. And even today it continues to innovate with the inclusion of PSVR2 implementation. I guess you could call me a GT fanboy. :lol: But seriously Kaz's vision and PD are responsible for pushing the genre more toward the sim aspect of racing. I just feel most people take what we have now for granted. Look below to see how far the games have progressed.

Last edited:
Back