Proposed 2021 Formula 1 RegulationsFormula 1 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 65 comments

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Australia
South of the South
GoldMineGutted
What we have here are the apparent 2021 regulations. The information here comes from the F1technical forums, but from what I understand the original source is the latest issue of Racecar Engineering (https://www.zinio.com/au/racecar-engineering/console-1598-147614-i427334).

Once again, the regulations are designed to improve racing. The proposed regulations are hoped to bring downforce loss when following another car from 70% all the way down to 20%.

D2iX0oXW0AAN3f2.jpg

The CAD model teams are currently working with - codenamed INDIA.

• Reduction in front tyre width to 270mm (rear remains 405mm) with 710mm outer diameter 18" tyres [already confirmed]
  • Maximum(or mandatory?) wheelbase of 3400mm (down from 3600 to 3650mm of 2019 cars)
  • Front wing rule builds upon the 2019 rule to have a three-element front wing connected directly to nose (i.e., no Y250 vortex), with 50-100mm lesser overall width than 2019, end plates appear to remain similar
  • Apparent removal of "stub" nose loophole
  • Fins over front wheels to manage front wheel wake
  • Flat floor rule is generally abandoned, with no more tea tray etc
  • Champcar style underbody inlet with vortex generator strakes. Prescribed tunnel inlet area. The current unrestricted bodywork areas around the bargeboards are presumably eliminated.
  • Greater diffuser angle than 2019 F1 cars with the diffuser starting further up the car and ahead of the ahead of the rear axle, similar to older CART cars or the Swift Formula Nippon car
  • Rear wing blends into endplates with no more separate vertical pieces
  • +50kg on minimum weight due to various (heavy) standard parts

The one big takeaway from the proposal is effectively the removal of the flat floor rule, allowing teams to design large air inlets at the front of the floor, leading to a bigger diffuser than what we see currently. But there’s a whole raft of interesting new details which may be polarising, such as the 18” wheels and fins over the front wheels.

And here’s a bonus version of the CAD model featuring a Ferrari livery, provided by AMuS.

upload_2019-3-28_11-6-35.jpeg

upload_2019-3-28_11-6-49.jpeg

upload_2019-3-28_11-7-5.jpeg

The venerable Craig Scarborough did an analysis of the project “India” model.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/02...-racing-in-2021-its-new-concept-car-analysed/

Scarborough’s keen eye picked up on some details that have been missed by the average race fan. All up, the proposed model looks pretty exciting to me and I hope any further revisions don’t neuter what’s been proposed but with F1 being F1, I won’t let my hopes get too high yet.

It's looking like the current F1 regulations are producing a sporting, aesthetic and possibly commercial disaster. In desperation, the new regs have been delayed so they can give it more thought. Even the drivers such as Hamilton are chipping in with unsought advice.

The order of the finishes needs to be more jumbled up and obviously more passing needs to take place.

Here are some sure-fire fixes which, although drastic, might be considered in the short term.
1) Run the races in 3 heats, with the second heat starting in inverted order from the finish of the 1st heat.
2) Artificially wet down the tracks and keep them wet during the race.
3) All cars to run spec brakes with considerably longer stopping distances.
4) Impose a BOP. Start with something like Mercedes plus 100 kilos, Ferrari plus 50 kilos, Red Bull plus 25 kilos, and Williams minus 100 kilos and adjust as required.
5) Cut total downforce by 80%.
6) Remove as many chicanes as possible from the existing circuits.

1) Run the races in 3 heats, with the second heat starting in inverted order from the finish of the 1st heat.
2) Artificially wet down the tracks and keep them wet during the race.
3) All cars to run spec brakes with considerably longer stopping distances.
4) Impose a BOP. Start with something like Mercedes plus 100 kilos, Ferrari plus 50 kilos, Red Bull plus 25 kilos, and Williams minus 100 kilos and adjust as required.
5) Cut total downforce by 80%.
6) Remove as many chicanes as possible from the existing circuits.
1: That's not Formula 1. Regardless of what happens, it must stay as one race per round as tradition.
2: We'd all love that, but circuits are already having to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to be on the calendar, places like Silverstone, Hockenheim or Suzuka aren't going to bother with sprinklers.
3: That's just unsafe, plus Formula 1 cars are spectacular on the brakes and we don't want to lose the spectacle
4: BOP or Success Ballast would work, it's something I wouldn't mind seeing. However, do it by championship standings rather than by laptime like they do in WTCR.
5: No no no no no no no no no no. Anything people suggest to make the cars slower is completely the wrong thing to do. Formula 1 must be the fastest series out there, and downforce is the reason they are so fast. They cut downforce level in 2014, and look how much that season was hated for it. The slowest cars on the grid could have been outqualified by GP2 or LMP1 cars. F1's spectacle comes from watching high grip/high downforce cars fly through fast corners at stupid speeds.
6: Chicanes are not as evil as people seem to think, especially as most are prime overtaking spots. The chicane on the back straight at Paul Ricard works a lot better for racing than the full straight would. That's two years in a row where lots of overtakes have happened into it and down the next straight because it gives drivers the option of different lines. We still saw lots of side-by-side action into Signes both years.

I terms of the INDIA model, the front wing connected to the nose looks awful because it's so high. But yeah, if we're able to get more of a ground effect type of car, then the show should improve a bit, but we still need to fix the tyres. We either need more flat out 1-stop races like 2010, or to go back to fally apart 2012 multiple stop races. As it is, the tyres fall apart and overheat too easily, so drivers don't want to follow too closely for fear of the tyres slowing them down, or requiring a second stop. This is the fix we need that nobody is talking about.

1: That's not Formula 1. Regardless of what happens, it must stay as one race per round as tradition.
2: We'd all love that, but circuits are already having to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to be on the calendar, places like Silverstone, Hockenheim or Suzuka aren't going to bother with sprinklers.
3: That's just unsafe, plus Formula 1 cars are spectacular on the brakes and we don't want to lose the spectacle
4: BOP or Success Ballast would work, it's something I wouldn't mind seeing. However, do it by championship standings rather than by laptime like they do in WTCR.
5: No no no no no no no no no no. Anything people suggest to make the cars slower is completely the wrong thing to do. Formula 1 must be the fastest series out there, and downforce is the reason they are so fast. They cut downforce level in 2014, and look how much that season was hated for it. The slowest cars on the grid could have been outqualified by GP2 or LMP1 cars. F1's spectacle comes from watching high grip/high downforce cars fly through fast corners at stupid speeds.
6: Chicanes are not as evil as people seem to think, especially as most are prime overtaking spots. The chicane on the back straight at Paul Ricard works a lot better for racing than the full straight would. That's two years in a row where lots of overtakes have happened into it and down the next straight because it gives drivers the option of different lines. We still saw lots of side-by-side action into Signes both years.

I terms of the INDIA model, the front wing connected to the nose looks awful because it's so high. But yeah, if we're able to get more of a ground effect type of car, then the show should improve a bit, but we still need to fix the tyres. We either need more flat out 1-stop races like 2010, or to go back to fally apart 2012 multiple stop races. As it is, the tyres fall apart and overheat too easily, so drivers don't want to follow too closely for fear of the tyres slowing them down, or requiring a second stop. This is the fix we need that nobody is talking about.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate your deep experience in motor racing. I'd like to counter riposte on a few points.

1) If not heat races per se, then how about at least one mandatory yellow to pack up the field a la NASCAR? Since the top 6 regularly lap the field, we give a lucky dog to the driver a lap down.
2) Allow selected circuits to sprinkle at the behest of the venue.
3) Why/How unsafe? I don't grab that. Please explain.
4) AGREED
5) If you won't cut downforce by at least 50%, then increase power by at least 50%. No driver is happy until he can spin his tires anywhere, anytime. The people would love it.
6) Agreed, but eliminate them where they will improve drafting and late braking. Also design future circuits and redesign existing circuits specifically to maximize passing.

That's why the FIA should cut down on downforce across the board, silly. Nerf ALL the categories! :D Personally, I enjoyed very much the few years before they made them super grippy again. We got to see some cool 4-wheel-drifts from Ricciardo and Alonso. The only 4-wheel-drift we'll see all of this year is Bottas at the Grand Hotel hairpin, because that corner is so slow, wings have much less effect.

Longer braking distances don't necessarily make the sport safer. If anything, they potentially increase the amount of distance from the barrier the car can travel if it suffers a brake failure.

There are other ways to make the cars faster without relying on downforce: They can remove minimum weight limits. Before you say "but that would compromise the crash structures," I don't propose we remove the crash tests. Let them find a way to meet current crash tests with the lowest weight possible. Some teams will be better at shaving weight than others, taking away some dependency on engines and aero. It will force teams to think about either making them as light as possible, or add some ballast for a better weight balance. Additionally, they could give them grippier tires that don't fall apart after a few laps.

Worse brakes is unsafe when a driver has to avoid someone blocking the track. Brakes are not only performance components but also safety features and emergency stops.

Brakes are used to stop crashes, and much as most of us would like to see a few more in races than there currently is, using something like worse brakes isn't the way to go about it because it'll cause its own problems.

Worse brakes is unsafe when a driver has to avoid someone blocking the track. Brakes are not only performance components but also safety features and emergency stops.

Brakes are used to stop crashes, and much as most of us would like to see a few more in races than there currently is, using something like worse brakes isn't the way to go about it because it'll cause its own problems.

Fair enough. 👍

I suppose another way to increase braking distance is to give the cars more power and top speed... But then that would require even larger tarmac runoffs than we have now. Spectators further away from the action. Uglier looking circuits that look like they were built by Nitros Oxide from CTR. Not good.

Start with shuffling the calendar. No ridiculous gimmicks like artificial rain. Lower the downforce a bit to make slipstreaming possible for longer amounts of time. Less car park racetracks. Louder engines.

Cut Body Downforce, and allow more freedom for under the car downforce.

That's my best suggestion for closer racing, the rest probably doesn't matter Soo much but I wouldn't change too much too quickly so you can see what works and what doesn't.

They can remove minimum weight limits. Before you say "but that would compromise the crash structures," I don't propose we remove the crash tests. Let them find a way to meet current crash tests with the lowest weight possible. Some teams will be better at shaving weight than others, taking away some dependency on engines and aero. It will force teams to think about either making them as light as possible, or add some ballast for a better weight balance. Additionally, they could give them grippier tires that don't fall apart after a few laps.

The teams already do that - no components are heavier than they need to be, the rest is made up with ballast in the car. You have to exclude driver weight from that too - in previous seasons drivers have had to lose ridiculous amounts of weight to satisfy teams' weight requirements.

Cut Body Downforce, and allow more freedom for under the car downforce.

The problem there is that you cut nearly a ton of net weight from the car which will greatly reduce cornering grip and therefore create much slower lap times. The answer is really better wake solutions so that front wings are less affected by the car in front (which is going to significantly disrupt air even with neutral down/up force).

Body downforce needs to be less reliant on the airflow over the wings and more work on underbody aero should be looked at. The cars need to be much harder to drive and not so aero sensitive.

The problem there is that you cut nearly a ton of net weight from the car which will greatly reduce cornering grip and therefore create much slower lap times. The answer is really better wake solutions so that front wings are less affected by the car in front (which is going to significantly disrupt air even with neutral down/up force).

I didn't mean get rid of it all, just reduce it(Like Simplified Rear Wings, side pods etc and focus more on the area that will improve times more then anything.

More focus on underfloor downforce will make the cars faster.

I don't see a problem with longer stopping distances. Drivers will adjust. Many fans want entertainment value.

Slower lap times aren't a problem either. How slow? I don't know. Pick an era. As slow as the fastest time from 2008? From 1998? I'm sure those cars weren't "slow". For the many that do watch F1, many don't anymore(like me, I just read about results on here). Fans want to be entertained. Not every so often.

I don't see a problem with longer stopping distances. Drivers will adjust. Many fans want entertainment value.

Deliberately make brakes less efficient? I really don't see a good reason for that apart from the 'entertainment' of huge crashes.

Pretty sure the fellows in the cars can adjust to the brakes being a bit less brakey. Just like they can catch a drift in the making, or driving without a front wing.

I can see longer braking distances work.

The braking power the cars have has to be proportional to the closing speeds of a car at full tilt and a stationary car. It's not just about entertainment but safety.

The teams already do that - no components are heavier than they need to be, the rest is made up with ballast in the car. You have to exclude driver weight from that too - in previous seasons drivers have had to lose ridiculous amounts of weight to satisfy teams' weight requirements.

Of course they do. I just think it would be interesting if they had to choose between a balanced car with ballast, or a lighter, twitchier car. I suspect the majority of teams would go with the latter, which would make more it entertaining to watch. Would also increase the chance of minor driving mistakes, which increases the chance of overtaking.

I had to explain to my nephew recently that these F1 cars are the heaviest they have ever been. A fairly bright young man, that his father is grooming to become an engineer, or chemical engineer, or some 🤬 :lol: Just the type of person that would take in an interest in this technical sport. He just about rolled his eyes. He didn't particularly care that they were heavy because of hybrid systems.

Anyway, we don't need loads of downforce to make the sport exciting. Just watch the Goodwood Revival races if you don't believe me. In those races the drivers can get right onto the rear bumper of another car. I've said it years ago and I'll say it again: Once you get close enough to someone, you can overtake anywhere. The proof is in the pudding at Goodwood.

The Revival (and Member's Meeting too, for that matter) has pro drivers mixed with rich amateurs with various degrees of skill... While it does create some entertaining racing, I don't think it'd be suitable for F1.

Great racing, slow spec. Average of a gnat's knacker over 100mph.

A modern F1 car without wings would still average much higher than that. Not sure what the issue is.

Let's face it, the only reason we like seeing wings on the cars is because that's what we grew up with, it's what we're used to. It's traditionalist in a strange, progressive sort of way. Things could have gone very differently, had wings been banned in 1970 on safety grounds. They used to fall off in those days. Across various categories over the years, some drivers and marshals have been killed by them. They increase cornering speeds to the point we need large runoffs. They discourage close racing. There are a lot of things going against wings.

Do we need them? I'd say no. Which is why I brought up the Revival and MM: We can witness, in a modern time period, what racing could be like with little or no downforce. It is damn good stuff, even with the slow cornering capabilities of 1960s and earlier racecars. Even cars from the 1910s are fun to watch.

Alas, I'm also a realist. I know that they are here to stay, because they also act as advertising billboards.

A modern F1 car without wings would still average much higher than that. Not sure what the issue is.

If it did it would crash far more often and be sensitive to suddenly becoming airborne. The older F1 cars you describe started having wings added after that evolution... why?

Deliberately make brakes less efficient? I really don't see a good reason for that apart from the 'entertainment' of huge crashes.
We're not talking sedan racing. There is still tyre technology and actually the drivers adjusting to the changes. I still don't see a problem. Cars crash even with more downforce and better brakes. Remember Alfonso at AGP, Webber in Russia(?). Better brakes didn't help those situations.

If it did it would crash far more often and be sensitive to suddenly becoming airborne. The older F1 cars you describe started having wings added after that evolution... why?

Airborne, you mean like this? They don't go to the Nordschleife anymore, it's a silly place. :lol:

To answer your question, they started adding wings because some people wanted a performance advantage over the other teams. Same reason most major design changes happened in those days. Like the mid-mounted engine, or the monocoque chassis. For whatever reason the rule makers at the time didn't ban wings, and the rest is history. They very easily could have, however.

Airborne, you mean like this? They don't go to the Nordschleife anymore, it's a silly place. :lol:

To answer your question, they started adding wings because some people wanted a performance advantage over the other teams. Same reason most major design changes happened in those days. Like the mid-mounted engine, or the monocoque chassis. For whatever reason the rule makers at the time didn't ban wings, and the rest is history. They very easily could have, however.

Which major racing series can you name that doesn't use downforce?

Which major racing series can you name that doesn't use downforce?

Formula Ford, motorcycles, historic racing... But I don't see why that matters? If you're worried about other series being faster than F1, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened. I suggested up above that the FIA could reduce downforce for all of their series, if they didn't want them to be faster than F1, anyway. 👍

I mean, aren't Indy cars faster than F1? With less downforce? Do Indy cars have less downforce at road courses than F1? I really don't know.

Edit:
Well, it seems like the more competitive open wheel racing series, have the least amount of power and downforce than F1. Super Formula down to karts.

Would be nice if these proposed regulations, allow better racing across the whole field.

Edit2: Good points. Would love to hear talk from all the drivers.
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...3122b04c78f275d69f6?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Back