Pros and Cons of Your Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter rollazn
  • 68 comments
  • 4,347 views
2004 BMW 330i Performance Package (US spec)

Pro

+ Still the one of the best steering racks in the business
+ Handling balance, poise, agility, and stability that shames everything else in class
+ Light (weight = the enemy)
+ Smooth 6 speed an absolute pleasure to row
+ M54TU engine smooth, flexible and tractable
+ Solid as a bank vault class leading body structure even 7 years into production cycle
+ Quiet, comfortable, refined, easy going daily driver and long distance tourer
+ Ergonomics and build quality still excellent; everything you touch feels top notch
+ Styling. M-Technic aero package looks damn good
+ Alcantara interior/steering wheel is very cool
+ Between warranty and Free Full Maintanence; puts cost of ownership issues to bed

Con

- Competitors closing horsepower gap; 235 not exceptional in class
- Electronic throttle mapping response is sluggish; no sport program like in M cars
- M54TU too quiet
- 18" blingin wheels are heavy and responsible for occasional ride choppiness and tramlining
- Faux carbon fiber interior trim not for everyone
- Pricey

Verdict

= Still the daddy


M
 
69 Camaro SS

pros: its like a parade driving down the street with everybody staring
its loud but not to loud
big block 454
its black
burnouts burnouts burnouts

cons: its never finished ( i always have a new project to do)
snow, ice and rain
gas is 5.00 a gallon
 
Goomba
I would kill for you insurance. I pay $288 a month on my car, which is about $1700 over 6 months.

Yes, but your car costs $22,000 & mine costs $7,000.
 
1994 SAAB 900SE Turbo

👍 Pros: Its quick for a I4 '94 model car, nice black leather interior, reliable, stands out, and not your everyday Honda you see.

👎 Cons: Weighs alittle more than an average I4 (close to 3000lbs), body is rather large, torque steer, and stiff handling
 
///M-Spec
You are joking, right?


M

Well, I dont know about where you live, but here in Texas the car is sort of seen as one of those cars driven by people you dont want to be driving near. I think that makes sense?

I guess what I mean is there are lots of rednecks with Maros that think theyre hot stuff and try to race anything that moves. I dont care, I think its fun.


Sage -

I would change that, but I have flabby cheeks and thats just funny.
 
DrogoGTO
Well, I dont know about where you live, but here in Texas the car is sort of seen as one of those cars driven by people you dont want to be driving near. I think that makes sense?

I guess what I mean is there are lots of rednecks with Maros that think theyre hot stuff and try to race anything that moves. I dont care, I think its fun.


I think you are confused. A "yuppie" is the polar opposite of a "redneck" and a '95 Camaro is the last car they would be caught dead in.

Yuppie. Young Urban Professional. Educated rich city folk with a reputation for expensive and sophisticated tastes, as well as snobbery and excessive materialism. If you want an example of what kind of cars they like, just look at my post above.


M
 
This probably best con and pro, but a short list. (I'm tired. ok?)

Pros:
It's a V6 Fiero
Cost me $3,200?
Fun to drive count?

Cons:
Top Speed is not what it once was
Still has some "dents"
Needs engine work.
 
///M-Spec
I think you are confused. A "yuppie" is the polar opposite of a "redneck" and a '95 Camaro is the last car they would be caught dead in.

Yuppie. Young Urban Professional. Educated rich city folk with a reputation for expensive and sophisticated tastes, as well as snobbery and excessive materialism. If you want an example of what kind of cars they like, just look at my post above.


M


Ah, I see. I was confused.
Thank you for the explanation.
 
DrogoGTO
Ah, I see. I was confused.
Thank you for the explanation.

No problem. :) I like Camaros too. 👍 LS1s more than LT1s, though.


M
 
Goomba
The WRXs gears a little long for my liking. One reason why I'd like to find a decently priced JDM STi gears. Anywho, fourth gear seems to have next to no pull. You'll hear a lot of guys on ClubWRX who race on the streets say fourth gear is where the other cars will pull on them.

3rd gear is lovely though. 1st and 2nd both have the boost retarded to about 10 PSI, but 3rd is when you hit full boost (14.5 PSI) and when the car sucks you back as hard as it can.
Well, the Outback's naturally aspirated, so things are obviously a bit different ;), but 3rd still pulls strong in that car. That's also when you start hearing less of the engine though (actual speed be damned – I want to hear the engine!!).

Oh, I should've put "lacking Outback's AWD" for the cons list for the Ranger. I was driving it this morning on the freeway, and I suddenly realized that my dad had put an empty box in the bed yesterday, and had neglected to take it out. Not wanting it to fly out and cause an accident (I'm so reshponshible! :sly:), I pulled off to the shoulder, got out, and put it in the cab. Having done that, I caught a break in the traffic and took off – or tried to. I forgot that the shoulder was completely gravel, and I mindlessly slammed the gas, so it did a little bit of fishtailing before I caught any traction whatsoever. And that extra few seconds wasted yielded a line of traffic coming from behind, so I had to wring that poor thing's engine out like I've never done before. On the other hand, the Subie's just amazing – my mom's driven it on ice before and it didn't lose any traction. Friekin' ice!
 
Volvo S70 T5SE 98

Pros

-Powerful, linear acceleration (Turbo PSI raised slightly, about 280hp and 300lbs/f)
-Definitely a sleeper (even no T5 badge)
-Good handling and almost no body roll (changed to bilstein shocks and springs)
-Good handling in the winter, very stable and predictable in snow.
-Almost perfect seats, more comfy than my couch
-Nice, Roomy interior (same as the current C70)
-Feel as solid and as safe as a tank
-Comes with a decent sound system

Cons
-Harsh ride on degraded roads (quite usual here)
-I miss manual
-Understeer in tight corners
-Having fun with it means you'll change brakes three times a year
(T5-R brakes should help for this)
-Minor glitches in electrical systems (doorlocks)
-Not exactly the definition of sexy...

Verdict:
Great sleeper, and a lot of value for its price.
 
Sage
On the other hand, the Subie's just amazing – my mom's driven it on ice before and it didn't lose any traction. Friekin' ice!
Subie AWD is amazing...it can make the most ham-fisted driver heroic. My mom, who has been driving stick for 20-plus years, still stalls my car when she drives it :rolleyes: (you havta feather the clutch to get rolling...). But going around a snowy corner a little to fast in your 2.5 TS, she got it quite a bit sideways--say 45 degrees--just said "oops," corrected, and we were going straight again. That's good engineering (because I give her driving NO credit whatsoever).
 
'94 Mazda MX-6 LS

Pros:
Great power (and sound) over 4500 rpm
Very solid at any speed
Leather seats
Power everything
Bucket seats in back
Nice body lines
Cruise control :dopey:

Cons:
Some noise in the front end (think its a sturt)
MPG really shoots down if you run hard
Macco paint job :yuck:
tint peeling in the back window
clutch is a little weak

Overall, its a great car with good looks and some power to match. Its not neck snapping fast but its got a pretty nice kill list for now, but right now its by far the best car I've owned and its do in just fine 👍
 
Since I drove the 2001 Nissan Quest for the first time, I will give the pros and cons.

Pro: Easy view... nothing else really.

Cons:
Slow
Ugly
No C/D (at least my van)
Shifter not to my liking
Feels really wide
Can't adjust the seats
air conditioner aren't really good
Head lights are not really good either, it seems so low when normal.

Overall it sucks.
 
'99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

👍
Full leather
Power moonroof
Cavernous trunk
Good but not great power 200hp & 225lb/ft
Love the Bose 8 speaker CD system
Traction control
Car seat in the back so the in-laws don't fit

👎
The in-laws still show up
FWD
The traction control can be turned off :sly:
Only available in an automatic
 
1996 Ford Ranger Splash
Pros:
2.3 Liter four-banger is very, very quiet.
5-speed box
Sunroof
Very cold air.
6-CD changer as well as an AM/FM w/cassette
My kids all think it's a cool looking little beast. (My 19-yr old wants to drive it, my 12-yr old thinks it's "pimpin'").

Cons:
It rides like a truck (I know it is a truck, but I've driven cars all my life).
It's weak, but that is also a good thing because the truck is "arrest me" yellow.
It's a bit thirstier than I hoped. (22 MPG most of the time.)
Can only carry one passenger comfortably.
It's kinda tight quarters, even with my short (for my frame) legs.

verdict: even a little small, this is a very neat little truck. I find errands to do so I can drive it. It is the first "cool" vehicle I've had in more than 20 years. My kids, and their friends all think it's a pretty cool little truck. Where can I get better validation than that? :lol:

1999 Toyota Camry
Pros:
It's a Toyota, duh
It's quite comfy
Has AM/FM, cassette, and CD
Controls are mostly easy to figure out.
Fair size, and decent MPG.
Easy to look at.

Cons:
It's my wife's other car, and I'm a little jealous.
But it is very generic looking.
The cruise control is tricky to operate. (IT'S way easier in my truck)
Needs minor touch up to paint.

verdict: It's my wife's car. I like it but that's mostly because mama is happy with it. I think the interior is a little tight for my size. But I could conceivably get in it tommorow, top off the tank it drive it to North Carolina to see my mom, and not have to worry about it.
 
< 1991 Mazda 626 LX 5 Door

PROS:

Still fun to drive. Once-in-a-while runs to the red line are ok, can smoke the tires in 1st and second ( very stupid though ) ...and will still hit about 205km/h on the highway . TONS of room for a car its size, with hatch and flip down seats can fit 10 ft objects with ease. Decent gas mileage. Very Reliable, hardly any work done to it, and has 280'000 kms.

CONS:

Chick magnet it ain't. Won't exactly win too many races either.

VERDICT:

Cheap reliable transportation, that although is past its prime, will get you from A to B with few regrets and still have money in your pocket.




1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1 V6

PROS:

Um...V6 decent power ,uh, seats 5 with decent comfort,.................beige colour hardly ever looks dirty

CONS :

HATE HATE HATE this car ! Bought for $8500 in 2000. have put additional $6000.00 to keep it on the road for wife......wish had contacts to steal / burn it for insurance money. Bad GM electrical, Bad GM front brake system, poor seats, heavy, squishy handling....

VERDICT:

Only have it if you have no other choice for the time being....
 
Jay, I thought you had a 930 Turbo? Or am I thinking of someone else?


M
 
CAR: 1995 Plymouth Neon ACR sedan

PRO:
  • Cheap as dirt to buy and insure
  • Punchy 2.0, short gearing
  • Quick steering, great brakes, Koni adjustable struts from the factory
  • Very balanced handling for FWD
  • Low maintenance - 60,000 miles on brakes, 90,000 clutch still firm
  • Light for a sedan - 2350 lbs
  • Roomy inside for small car; good greenhouse view
  • Yes, I actually like how it looks
  • Civics - not just for breakfast anymore

CONS:
  • Paint issues - flaking, minor rust
  • Busy ride - but that's the tradeoff for great handling in a cheap car
  • A/C system impossible to keep charged - gave up and removed for weight savings
  • Interior pretty low-rent - but it's supposed to be
  • Image - this is a PRO in my book, but most people seem to hate it

VERDICT:
A very inexpensive car with zero talking and all action. A string of dominant years in SCCA club racing and Solo II speak for themselves. I'm actually happy it's not a Honda even though the materials are somewhat cheap-feeling and there are no luxuries. Torque and turn-in are my luxuries.

People who have never driven one hate them. Even people with lemons say it's a ball to drive, but they have maintenance issues (most of which are a result of not paying attention to the car).
 
///M-Spec
Jay, I thought you had a 930 Turbo? Or am I thinking of someone else?


M

I wish,,,,I had that as an avatar for awhile...but I am a porsche-phile and the 1975 930 turbo is a dream.
 
Ford Fiesta Zetec (03) 1.6 Turbo
Original engine was 1.4 16v replaced with a 1.6 turbo
Eibach lowering springs
Stage 2 chip
Full scorpion stainless steel exhaust
16 inch O.Z rims, one of the lightest alloys available
Racing Cam
New momo racing seats
Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgates all round.

Pros

Superb acceleration through lower gears
Good top end (roughly 135-140 mph
Excellent handling
Cheap parts (if anything goes wrong)

Cons
Harsh insurance premiums
Drinks petrol
Attracts the police
Also attracts Honda Accords with undercar lighting 👎
 
Its very fast indeed.

I haven't chaghed the exterior appearence apart from lowering and new alloys. Most people think its a 1.4 Zetec. I even left the Zetec badge on but put a T next to it.

Zetec T
 
91 Mazda Protege LX

Pros
Not mine... lol my guardian's
Gets ok fuel economy for a 2.0L
125 HP (well when it was new)
errr... I have a CD player, power locks, A/C, power windows, heater... <-- sad when thats on the pros list, it shouldnt even be listed... lol
Small can cut through traffic
engine still runs strong

Cons:
No grip tires (Front set is a unknown brand, back is some yokohoma, dunon what kind though)
Torque Steer
Rust
Lack of ppl below 2500RPM.
A/C seems like it is not working on a hot day
Heater is no good unless im on highway during the winter
Hydroplanes... <-- did i spell it right?
a lot of maintance
a dying auto tranny

verdict: a ****ty car that made me learn how to corner properly, human abs, threshold braking. Well basically, time for a new car... too bad i cant afford one..
 
1990 Honda Civic

Pros:
👍 Handles like a go cart
👍 Has enough pep to surprise quite a few people in the next lane
👍 Cuts through traffic well
👍 Hatchback versatility
👍 Gears well spaced
👍 Communicative controls -- no power steering

Cons:
👎 No A/C ... well I guess thats a pro too
👎 Back seat almost unusable
👎 No rear wiper
👎 Only 4 speeds makes highway driving tiresome
👎 Low torque
 
This is a cool Idea for a thread. Kinda like our own personal Car and Driver.

1999 Chevy Cavalier LS

Pros
-Incredible gas milage for a 2.2 Liter engine(over 430 miles to the tank)
-Good steering wheel feedback
-Extremely reliable
-Doesn't look half bad when cleaned and waxed.
-Pretty large trunk


Cons
-corners as if it was in ski mode on almost every corner
-For a 2.2 liter engine, it's really huge for a 4 cylinder with no Hp or Torque
-Almost impossible to heel toe due to pedal arrangement
-Shifter throw is like rowing a boat
-Did I mention it corners like a bad boat?

Verdict: The best A to B car I've ever seen. Just keep it on the A to B course.
 
1986 Ford Thunderbird V8 with some modifications

pros:
-reliable
-fairly nice ride quality
-a genuine Ford 5.0L (302ci) V8 under the hood
-fox chassis means a HUGE aftermarket
-nearly unlimited drag car potential
-awesome gas mileage for a V8 (19-20 mpg city)
-easy as pie to work on or fix when needed
-cheap insurance
-cheap to buy (mine was $700)
-gobs of torque at the wheels
-rear-wheel drive

cons:
-the 5.0L is not a High Output V8, so without a conversion or some aftermarket parts, it's actually quite slow
-I need a new heater core and it's not a good time of year for it
-it's not the most attractive car out there
-somewhat heavy
-no limited-slip differential
-previous owner didn't take good care of it
-handles poorly

verdict:
AWESOME project car for those wanting to build a drag car. It really is an amazing car for what you pay for. A very good daily driver/winter beater or project car, but those are about the only good roles I can imagine for it.


1997 Ford Thunderbird LX V6

pros:
-very luxurious feel
-leather interior
-smooth as a baby's butt ride quality
-rear-wheel drive
-handles awesome for it's weight
-good gas mileage
-good torque for a very simple V6
-sounds cool even with stock exhaust when you remove the air silencer
-has a very consistant and quick drag launch
-independent rear suspension
-never stops putting out no matter how often you push it
-not too shabby at breakin off the ricerz itself
-suprisingly faithful drifter
-despite it's medium size, it's sleek and very sexy

cons:
-also lacks a limited-slip differential
-weighs around 3800 lbs. with driver
-the V6 leaves a little to be desired for power

verdict:
I LOVE this car! Sure I would rather see the 4.6L OHC V8 in it but this car has taken me everywhere I've wanted to go. I've had all sorts of good memories with it and it NEVER lets me down! Everyone should have one!
 
pros- it runs

cons- barely
 
Back