Proximity indicator for multiplayer

• Thread starter donpost
  • 28 comments
It was brought up by the members and I think it would be a good idea, but it wont be in the initial release. Maybe in a post release update but as of now, it is not confirmed as far as I know.

That's what the spotter and mirrors are for. I actually seriously dislike the indicators because they will show up when you are in fact clear and you end up giving a position to someone who really wouldn't have had an opportunity to do so otherwise. Perfect example is nascar at Daytona in GT6. When you're being pushed by a bump draft or the car behind is close the indicators go nuts left to right. It's actually a pretty big piss off when GT5 let you zoom the map in and it was much easier to glance up and see exactly where the car behind you was.

It was brought up by the members and I think it would be a good idea, but it wont be in the initial release. Maybe in a post release update but as of now, it is not confirmed as far as I know.

Ah that's a shame, perhaps in the future as you say. Thanks :)

That's what the spotter and mirrors are for. I actually seriously dislike the indicators because they will show up when you are in fact clear and you end up giving a position to someone who really wouldn't have had an opportunity to do so otherwise. Perfect example is nascar at Daytona in GT6. When you're being pushed by a bump draft or the car behind is close the indicators go nuts left to right. It's actually a pretty big piss off when GT5 let you zoom the map in and it was much easier to glance up and see exactly where the car behind you was.

What's this about a spotter? If it's up to the standard of the spotter in iRacing then that will do VERY nicely! The problem I have with mirrors is that the only one you can see whilst driving really is the rear view mirror, and if a car is next to you the mirror is useless. Of course you can do a quick look left/right, but that's not always practical when you are in the middle of The Corkscrew for example!

With the simulated night and rain endurance racing, such app is very important. It would fit very nicely on the 8" tablet.

That is very cool! Helpful for multiclass racing for sure.

I have seen in several of the videos posted this week that while there is not a distance meter there is a time indicator of the how far the car in front and behind is in real time to the thousandth of a second. Look for the formula rookie video in the ai thread. Its at the bottom left with the lap and position indicator in that video

Edit: its about 2/3 down in the ai difficulty thread on page one

Last edited:
This is disappointing. I was really hoping for the mini-map type of HUD that I used in GT5. It worked so beautifully I don't know why it isn't in every game. The spotter is very limited IMO. It only tells you when someone is already alongside of you, not when they are 10 or 20 feet back and trying to outbrake you. You turn in and by the time the spotter realizes there is overlap it's already too late. Hopefully it comes with some kind of warning about someone closing rapidly or something along those lines.

This is disappointing. I was really hoping for the mini-map type of HUD that I used in GT5. ...
There is an (optional) map on the HUD which shows your car an the opponents, not unlike I remember from GT5, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't say that it replaces a proper proximity indicator though.

It is possible to run second screen apps on the PC to do get a radar type of display.

There is an (optional) map on the HUD which shows your car an the opponents, not unlike I remember from GT5, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't say that it replaces a proper proximity indicator though.
Can you post a screenshot/image of this?

I'd prefer there not be artificial proximity indicators. Look to the sides or use mirrors.
There's too much going on with a single screen to be able to efficiently use your mirrors the way you would so easily if you were sitting in the car. The mini-map in GT5 was the single greatest contributor to clean racing I've ever seen or used, when zoomed in to show cars within 1 second of you on the track. If the spotter works and is quick enough to provide useful information that's great, but it takes time for the spotter to make the call, and time for you to react and in that gap is where the contact occurs.

And of course, you would have the option to turn them off and use your mirrors so everyone wins.

The Map Zoom feature is great, but to do properly we need to be able to have a one button zoom in/out on the map so we can zoom in when close to other cars and then zoom out to see whole map when running alone. Now that would be a great feature during a race and seems easy to implement. I always hated in GT5 you had to set it one way and couldn't adjust the map during a race on the fly. GT6 has even less options.

Can you post a screenshot/image of this?
Sure. Here's a few shots, the last 4 being cropped views of the map area. The red and green dots are the drivers immediately in front and behind you. The map zooms out a bit as you go faster.

x43rxh.jpg

Red/green is next/previous position? So if the blip in front of us on the map is white like the others it's a lap up/down?

Red/green is next/previous position? So if the blip in front of us on the map is white like the others it's a lap up/down?
It depends on whether the colour markers are used positionally on the track or positionally for the race. I think it is the former but might be wrong. 👍

Considering the color of the dots is the same as the color of the "in front/behind" timing on the hud I would very much assume that they represent the position ahead and behind you.

Considering the color of the dots is the same as the color of the "in front/behind" timing on the hud I would very much assume that they represent the position ahead and behind you.
You are correct and if you were being lapped you would get a blue flag.

On the HUD, IIRC, cars that are a lap or more down are represented with a yellow dot. Not 100% sure about what colour they are if a lap ahead.

I didn't play GT5 much and didn't know you could zoom in on the map. I just tried it this morning and it is perfect!

If they could implement something similar in Project Cars that would be great. As it stands, the colours are a good idea but it looks like one long snake when the cars are close together.

I'm surprised they haven't added indicators also. I know they dampen the realism for some people but without peripheral vision you need a bit of help to know what's going on around you.

I'm surprised they haven't added indicators also. I know they dampen the realism for some people but without peripheral vision you need a bit of help to know what's going on around you.

This is my argument for their inclusion - I love realism as much as the next guy but we need an indicator to replace the peripheral vision that we lose by playing on a screen rather than being sat in an actual car.

That's why I love the GT6 indicator so much - it's simple with a fixed position and you can see it out of the corner of your eye while driving. Compared to say the Codemasters F1 series where the indicator is a slim white arrow that moves around the screen and changes size depending on how close/where the other cars are - this kind of indicator might look "cooler" than the GT6 on but it wasn't much help because it was difficult to pick up in your peripheral vision.

In fact I had a league race on GT6 last night and there wasn't one incident, and I think the PI was a big reason for that.

Back