Status
Not open for further replies.

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Calling all photoshop experts at GTPlanet!
Submissions Closed - Please place your vote HERE.

Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to design a generic poster for the blues rock band sensation, "Blue Onion Band". :D

The summer is ramping up to be full of shows almost every weekend and we are looking for a professional looking poster that we can use for our shows.

Some info about the band, 3 piece power trio, blues/rock original music. We are looking for a vintage look and we would need a blank space where we could write in the when and the where so we can use the same poster for all our shows this year. Check out some of the recent guitar and music magazines, I see a lot of that vintage looking graphics being used. We want to keep it simple and to the point. See the thumbnail example of leaving a space for the When and Where, we just need a place to write in the info for that specific gig. Should probably list "LIVE MUSIC" somewhere, or at least get that point across that it's live music.

We are also looking for a kind of trademark "look" so as soon as they see the poster they know it's Blue Onion that's playing somewhere.

I would like to have GTPlanet vote on the posters, and the top 3 will be presented to the band members to choose the winning design.

What you get is complete creative freedom and would like for you to have a spot on the poster for your credit as self advertising and promotion of your skills. We will be printing and posting up these posters all summer and could be a great source of promotion for your skills as well. The selected winner will also receive a copy of our original CD "Blues With A Bite" as well as our live recording "Live At The Garden".

I would like to have a submission deadline of May 31st!

Poster size will be 11"x17" and would need a hi-res jpeg, pdf, or other common format that we can use for print.

Submit your entries in this thread and I will create a poll after the deadline.

:cheers: and thank you for your help.

Some photos of the instruments:
kenny1-237x600.jpg
pako01.jpg

Attachments

• poster example.jpg
    poster example.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Are there any pictures of you guys playing live that we could add into the layout, or would that not work due to possible member changes?

Are there any pictures of you guys playing live that we could add into the layout, or would that not work due to possible member changes?

I thought about that, we go through drummers like Spinal Tap so I wanted to stay away from actual member shots, but I'm open to any ideas and can provide pics upon request. I can also provide stock photos of instruments if that's required.

I have some great ideas already, but the fact that the deadline is soon already makes it hard for me to enter this contest. I've got finals right now, but I'll see what I can do 👍

*EDIT*

Incase I do manage to produce something;

- Are you looking for a certain text or title on the poster? As in the name of the new album, or the place where you'll be having a concert?
- What kind of instruments do all of the members use? Are you using your custom maple bass?
- Since the band is called "Blue Onion", I guess you're looking for a coloured theme as the band name suggests? ;)

Last edited:
I'll have a go, I love doing this kind of thing, even if I'm not very good! I have a day free from revision on the 21st this week so I'll take a shot then.

EDIT: Now thinking about it, I think pictures of the instruments would be helpful if they are possible.

I have some great ideas already, but the fact that the deadline is soon already makes it hard for me to enter this contest. I've got finals right now, but I'll see what I can do 👍
Cool! I know the timing isn't the best, I actually just thought of the idea today. We're having a local try and make up a poster but it's not turning out too good. If I don't get a lot of entries, I may extend the time limit.

*EDIT*

Incase I do manage to produce something;

- Are you looking for a certain text or title on the poster? As in the name of the new album, or the place where you'll be having a concert?

I would like the poster to atleast include:
Band Name: Blue Onion Band

And a blank area where we can write in with a sharpie When and Where we will be playing, so we can reuse to the same poster for all of our summer events. this year. We have over 30 shows booked this year so the poster will be getting a lot of use.

- What kind of instruments do all of the members use? Are you using your custom maple bass?
Pretty simple lineup: Bass - Custom Skjold, Guitar - Custom Delany, and Drums (not sure what kind).

- Since the band is called "Blue Onion", I guess you're looking for a coloured theme as the band name suggests? ;)

I will leave the creative theme's entirely up to you. If you think it's a good idea, lay it out and see how it grabs you. I have done some stuff I did recently to try and get that vintage look for some CD reprints.

Here's an example:
" Disc Surface
" Tray Outside
" 2 Panel Inside
" 2 Panel Outside

But I want to be sure to see what you guys come up with without any influent of my own.

Hope that gives you some ideas of what I'm looking for.

I'll have a go, I love doing this kind of thing, even if I'm not very good! I have a day free from revision on the 21st this week so I'll take a shot then.

EDIT: Now thinking about it, I think pictures of the instruments would be helpful if they are possible.

For the bass, check out my signature. There are tons of photos of my Skjold here. I can provide higher res pics if needed I think.

For the Guitar, if you use a standard Gibson or Fender Strat, that would be good.

For the Drums, A standard 5-piece set would work. Pearl, Tama, DB, ect....

If you need further photo's, let me know.

Nice!!! I showed this thread to the rest of the band members and they are all for it and really excited to see what you guys can come up with!

Here is an atempt I have made for you tonight. Hopefully you like it. If there is anything you think needs adding or taking away, just let me know.

picture.php

Jamie (Grim)

👍

Hey, Pako, when I was in Biology lab a few months ago, I thought of your band when we had to stain onion slides with methylene blue. :)

I'll have a poster up in a while. By the weekend at the latest.

As always, changes welcomed. :D

blueonion.png

And, yes, the one I'm actively working in is much larger. Here's a crop of part of it.

blueo.png

I wish I had some nice super hi-res shots of you guys playing your (new) instruments.

My prelim design is below. I would composite the band members above the band name if I had them, or put a big semi-transparent B in the background. I also wasn't sure if you just wanted white boxes or what. I figured that would be the best solution for making the venue name big, bold and pretty. :D

Thoughts?

Here's the only two shots of the current lineup, sorry, low res only. This is where a silhouette edit of the band might work good as a transparent background layer.

Looks good guys. I was hoping for a more vintage look but those look good.

I'll try to find some "vintage" example of sort of what I had in mind.
Tons of examples here: http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/ac/poster-art.html#poster-series
I like the more simple, less busy ones.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bo.JPG
    bo.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 20
Oh, like that kind of vintage. Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that but I couldn't find any good fonts.

Hey you guys got a new drummer? Don't remember seeing him on the other images...

Anyway, getting that vintage look will be really hard to achieve since it's all pure art creating. Take those Pink Floyd posters as an example, that's the work of a real artist right there 👍 I'm no artist, but I'll see what I can get my hands on 👍

I'd love to have a shot at this, i really like the style of graphics you are aiming for, one of my tutors at college designed a lot of band and concert posters for some pretty big groups back in the late 60's and 70's. Unfortunately it's fallen at a busy time for me at work at the moment. But i shall try to get something done before the deadline.

Hey you guys got a new drummer? Don't remember seeing him on the other images...

Anyway, getting that vintage look will be really hard to achieve since it's all pure art creating. Take those Pink Floyd posters as an example, that's the work of a real artist right there 👍 I'm no artist, but I'll see what I can get my hands on 👍

Yeah, like I said, what ever is most comfortable and what ever you feel inspired to do. That "vintage" look is more of a guideline, but non-vintage will certainly be considered. It's more of the border look, font, wrinkled paper, faded ink look, not so much the free-hand art, psychedelic look, althought that would be cool. :)

I'd love to have a shot at this, i really like the style of graphics you are aiming for, one of my tutors at college designed a lot of band and concert posters for some pretty big groups back in the late 60's and 70's. Unfortunately it's fallen at a busy time for me at work at the moment. But i shall try to get something done before the deadline.

Oh man, that would be awesome!

That's awesome, and much easier to look at then our ugly mugs. :)

That's looking pretty cool there Cracker, I like it! 👍

Needs some work on the bottom section, and a mess around with some font styles.

Do you want the 'blues, funk, jazz, rock' bit on or is that just something TB added off the top of his head?

I think the 'blues, funk, jazz, rock' bit gives people an idea of the style of music we play which is good. I would hate to have a bunch of hardcore death metal slammers come to a gig expecting something a bit more. :)

Times running out. Get your final entries before time runs out. Voting will start Monday.
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back