PS3 Hard Drive Swap

• Thread starter bvnni
  • 8 comments
Replaced my standard 40GB drive with a 250GB(WD Scorpio Black WD2500BJKT) in 2010.
It's still working like a charm.

Personally I mostly stick to WD or Seagate drives as they never let me down and perform well without getting too hot.

Replaced my 80GB drive with a 500GB Seagate drive when I first got my PS3 in 2008. It worked until I thought I had a disk stuck in the drive, and foolishly disassembled it trying to get it out. The process was painless.

I replaced the 80GB HDD in my fatty PS3 back in February 2011. Stopped using it in January 2013 due to getting a new super slim. There's no issues with the fatty, other than the fan being loud. It needs a good disassembling and new thermal paste. I've had it since 2007 and the only problem I encountered was it shutting off due to being hot, which surprised me since it didn't lead to YLOD.

I swapped the 60GB drive in my launch PS3 for a Western Digital Blue 320GB, then when that PS3 YLOD'd on the very day GT5 was released (I remember it well seeing as how I bought my PS3 in 2007 just for GT5, as @bvnni did!) I left it out of my replacement 160GB Slim until about two months ago, but then I got bored and thought I could do with some more space. I've now got so much stuff installed on my PS3 that I get bored before I manage to scroll to the bottom of my games library. Naturally I've only actually played a tiny percentage of what I have installed.

@bvnni

Does it have to be fast (relatively)?

EDIT:
WD5000LPVT

I know it's cheap and damn fast for a 5400rpm 500GB drive, but I don't know how reliable it is. It's a new drive, 7mm btw.
2 years warranty.

But perhaps you don't even necessarily want a 500GB drive and pricing isn't a real issue...(?)

EDIT2:
If you're looking for the fastest drive: HGST 7K1000 HTS721010A9E630
1TB, 7200rpm, 3 years warranty I think.

Or perhaps you can find the following ones for a good price:

Western Digital Red WD10JFCX or WD7500BFCX
1TB and 750GB, but really awesome drives. Basically greens with new gen blue performance on black niveau with increased warranty. Oh and they're 9.5mm, not as fat as the greens. Sure, they're sold as NAS drives, but that doesn't matter.

I really don't like Seagates current lineup, except the SSHDs (I have a ST1000LM014). Discontinued all 7200rpm drives (I have no problem with this), but didn't bring anything interesting in their 5400 portfolio. Maybe the Laptop Ultrathin, but I don't trust those 5mm drives. They break just from looking at them. :lol:

Last edited:
Back