PS3 HDD Upgrade Tutorial(now includes PS3 Slim!)

• Thread starter nick09
  • 220 comments

nick09

(Banned)
United States
NY
nlck09
Now I'm gonna show you how to upgrade your HDD which is very simple to do.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • External HDD that has enough space to hold your old HDD stuff(which means 80GB HDD = 80GB external HDD or bigger!)
  • Internal 2.5 inch SATA HDD(the kind that are laptop sized and only SATA can be used!)
  • A small crosshead(Phillips) screwdriver
  • 2-4 hours depending on HDD space used up

1.BACKUP YOUR HDD:
STEP 1:Go to system settings --> Back up
STEP 2: To your External HDD, give or take a hour or 2 to wait if you are a 60GB user like me.
STEP 3: You are now done with the backup. Now proceed to the removal step in line #2 if you are a fat PS3 owner. If you are a PS3 Slim owner then scroll down to line #4.

2.REMOVE YOUR OLD HDD(not for Slim PS3's):
STEP 1: Turn the system off, unplug all cables.
STEP 2: Turn the PS3 to its left side; pull he HDD cover off(if you are weak grab a Slot screwdriver to pull off).
STEP 3: Hold the PS3 on the right side with your free hand and gently unscrew the blue screw.
STEP 4: Hold the small handle and pull to the right and pull out; the tray is now out of its place.
STEP 5: Unscrew the four screws on the right and left side and pull the HDD off the tray.
STEP 6: Continue onto line #3 to install the new HDD.

3.INSTALL YOUR NEW HDD(not for Slim PS3's):
STEP 1: Place the New HDD into the tray like the way the old HDD was.
STEP 2: Carefully screw in the four small screws on the left and right sides. If it feels tight leave it alone; its tighten and we don't wanna wreck the screws.
STEP 3: Insert the tray into the HDD slot all the way and pull the handle to the right.
STEP 4: Carefully screw in the blue screw and again if it feels tighten stop to prevent wrecking the screw.
STEP 5: Insert the HDD cover back on and plug all the cables back in.
STEP 6: Go to line #6 to recover the data

4.REMOVE YOUR OLD HDD(PS3 Slim instructions)
STEP 1: Turn the system off, unplug all cables, and flip the PS3 slim over.
STEP 2: You will see a little door piece under the blu-ray drive hiding a small blue Phillips screw. Remove this screw and be careful of not stripping the screw.
STEP 3: Now put the screw in your pocket so you don't forget it. Then flip the PS3 to the front where you see all of the logos. This is a HDD bay cover so just slide those to the right and take it off.
STEP 4. Now after you took the HDD bay cover off you will see the HDD cage. Pull that straight out towards you.
STEP 5: Now flip to the HDD cage's bottom and remove the four screws(be gentle or else you might be stuck with the old HDD). Make sure you stash the screws someplace safe.
STEP 6: Remove the hard drive and continue with the directions on line #5.

5.INSTALL YOUR NEW HDD(PS3 Slim instructions)
STEP 1: Take your new laptop drive and insert it in the HDD cage and make sure it's in the same position as the old HDD.
STEP 2: Make sure you line up the new HDD with the screw holes. Then put all four screws in thus securing the hard drive.
STEP 3: Now slide the HDD cage back into the PS3. Then slide the hard drive bay cover back on.
STEP 4: Then flip your PS3 slim over and install the blue screw. That will hold your hard drive still and prevent damage. Press the little door piece in again.
STEP 5: Reconnect all cables and go to line #6 to finish the job.

6.RESTORE YOUR FILES:
STEP 1: Turn the PS3 on and say yes to the request to format the new HDD. This will only take a minute at most.
STEP 2: Go to System Setting --> Back up and select the restore option and select your backup. This will take 1-1.5 hours or more depending on HDD size.
STEP 3: Enjoy your upgrade and perhaps even make a post in this topic.

So your System info should look something like this:
http://nlck09.deviantart.com/art/Mission-Upgrade-Complete-97123932

I hope you find the tutorial useful.

Last edited:
Does it void the warranty? Been hearing things and having doubts.

Here is a link to some detailed instructions from the Playstation Support/Knowledge Center to the question: Can I upgrade the hard disk drive (HDD) inside my PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system?

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...TEuNCZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9Mg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Sample photo from that link:
20hdd_1.gif

I suppose that it should not void your warranty.

Last edited:
I suppose that it should not void your warranty.
You suppose correctly.

Go ahead an megasize those hard drives, people!

Or be like me and get an external so you can use it on your laptop, too.

Probably a dumb question, but what would the speed difference be using an External HDD (via USB) versus an internal HD?

Probably a dumb question, but what would the speed difference be using an External HDD (via USB) versus an internal HD?

Good Question. I upgraded my HDD from Standard 5400 RPM to a 7400 RPM, my speeds have improved by a little. So there might be speed differences between USB and internal connection.

External will be slower because you don't have the connection of a sata drive only usb which is more limited than a sata cable. Not very noticeable but I just installed a new HDD in place of the 60GB for the ease of use at home.

Just a quick question, are you able to have stuff stored on an external drive come up on the OS like it does on the internal one..... i.e. with those little moving video icons etc, hope that makes sense.

Im thinking of just getting an external rather than upgrading because then I will have 60GB (more or less) free purely for game data... which should last quite a while!

Robin

Just a quick question, are you able to have stuff stored on an external drive come up on the OS like it does on the internal one..... i.e. with those little moving video icons etc, hope that makes sense.

Im thinking of just getting an external rather than upgrading because then I will have 60GB (more or less) free purely for game data... which should last quite a while!

Robin

I'm not sure about the moving icons. I know they are not available when streaming movies, but not sure about external HDD's.

NOTE: The PS3 can only see external HDD's that use the FAT32 file system which has a max single file size of 2^32 bytes (exactly 4GB)!

So if you downloaded an 8GB Blu-Ray film you will not be able to put it onto your external HDD and watch it from the PS3!

I upgraded my HDD to a 320GB 5400 RPM Western Digital drive for just £60! Well worth it IMO.

I could have got a 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital drive fore £120, but there is no point in spending double the cash to simple save a few milliseconds! Not even a whole second!!

Also, as for voiding the warranty, as others have said it does not void the warranty, but the most obvious way of telling that it doesn't void the warranty is the fact you dont have to remove the warranty sticker which covers up the first screw needed to be removed in order to take the PS3 to peices!

Last edited:
Thanks for the doubt cancellation. I have a 60GB and an 80GB so I won't be running out of space soon, might just upgrade the 60 to a 750.

Thanks for the doubt cancellation. I have a 60GB and an 80GB so I won't be running out of space soon, might just upgrade the 60 to a 750.

750!??:crazy:
A 500GB SATA 2.5 inch drive(laptop size) costs up to $280!
http://www.nextag.com/Hitachi-Travelstar-5K500-0A53487-604272188/prices-html

A bit too much I would say and how would you be able to find a 750GB HDD on the market!?
320GB 5400 RPM Western Digital drive
I have the same drive too in my PS3. Proof.:sly:

Had to pay $171 from best buy but it was well worth it.

Last edited:

There's no such thing as a 750GB 2.5" SATA HDD! The biggest is 500GB.....you're thinking of a 3.5" HDD which is too big to fit in the PS3.

The PS3 basically uses a laptop HDD....

I have the same drive too in my PS3. Proof.:sly:

Had to pay $171 from best buy but it was well worth it.

I got the OEM version (without the fancy box) so mine only cost me £60 (was the equivilant of about $120 when I got it, but since the pound has dropped its more like $105 now).

Last edited:
I got the OEM version (without the fancy box) so mine only cost me £60 (was the equivilant of about $120 when I got it, but since the pound has dropped its more like $105 now).

I only had the Hard drive when I got it.

Hmm, seems like you also got the OEM one....

Did yours come in a proper Western Digital box like the pic in the link you gave? If so then its a retail version, if not and it just came in a plain box with nothing else it's the OEM one.

Makes no difference, its the same product at the end of the day, just in a different box, and the OEM one doesn't come with instructions, etc.

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like you also got the OEM one....

Did yours come in a proper Western Digital box like the pic in the link you gave? If so then its a retail version, if not and it just came in a plain box with nothing else it's the OEM one.

Makes no difference, its the same product at the end of the day, just in a different box, and the OEM one doesn't come with instructions, etc.

Yep I have the same stuff, different box, and only a silly warning about hiring a professional to install it, but I'm a man and I did it all by myself.:sly:

I would probably be tempted to install a SDD if they came down in price, although its already been proven in a previous thread here to only give a tiny speed boost with regards to loading games.

It would be more beneficial on the heat side of things, less heat in the PS3 can't be a bad thing! especially with the 60GB!

Robin

I would probably be tempted to install a SDD if they came down in price, although its already been proven in a previous thread here to only give a tiny speed boost with regards to loading games.

It would be more beneficial on the heat side of things, less heat in the PS3 can't be a bad thing! especially with the 60GB!

Robin
Then you will have to install a adapter in the tiny space and will be nearly impossible unless you open up the ps3.

I purchased and installed a Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200rpm HDD and it works perfectly. With the faster HDD the PS3 boots up quicker i believe, all in all it's a great upgrade for any PS3 owner.

I purchased and installed a Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200rpm HDD and it works perfectly. With the faster HDD the PS3 boots up quicker i believe, all in all it's a great upgrade for any PS3 owner.

My new 5400RPM runs a bit faster than the old 60GB.

There's no such thing as a 750GB 2.5" SATA HDD! The biggest is 500GB.....you're thinking of a 3.5" HDD which is too big to fit in the PS3.

The PS3 basically uses a laptop HDD....

Argh...I guess the 500GB. I would use the HD as a backup for movies, pictures, songs, all that good stuff. Might be overkill but wouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

In general SSDs come in a standard sized 'box' so they can be fitted like an ordinary 2.5" HDD, as Robin says.

BAAZ's test was very interesting but it's worth bearing in mind that there are many different types of SSD around and the performance varies quite a lot, so check the reviews.

I'm not sure if it will help the temperature very much as the disk isn't under much load when playing games, but it would be an interesting test to make!

With regards to SSD they will be SLIGHTLY quicker, they will also be more reliable (due to no moving parts) but they also cost an arm & a leg for a 128GB one!

No point in it really, only useful in laptops because they get moved around a lot and the shock from being moved can cause damage.

The PS3 sits in the same place pretty much 24/7, so one of the main advantages (the other being access times) isn't even put into use.

I love the PS3. You can switch HDD and place external HDD, so you never run out of space. And you are not Stuck with SONY brand HDD devices so you can buy faster for cheaper.

It would have been slightly more helpful though if they had used 3.5" HDD's instead but hey, laptop ones are ok..

Back