PS3 on the floor? Pillow Case at night?? (Edit 2: Ton of Pictures) Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter terminator363
  • 39 comments
  • 6,120 views
Messages
4,797
Antarctica
Antarctica
I am thinking of buying a HD PC monitor so I decided to move my Playstation upstairs. What happened was I had no where to but it besides vertically on the floor (Carpet), the bottom leaning against my desk (I'm not paying $30 for a stand which is really a Sony brand piece of plastic!). I am scared it will attract dust and over head if I leave it there.

I heard the idea that people would wrap their PS3's at night with pillow casings to prevent dust build up. I've got two questions. 1. Won't the dust just go right through the pillow casing?? 2. Is it even worth it??

What are my best options. I can also put the PS3 on my desk, but then I have no space, and it would look ugly and unclean.

Help!
 
Last edited:
I don't think it'll attract any more dust than if you set it on the desk. The pillowcase will probably stop the majority of dust, if you choose to go that route. I carry mine to jobsites with me and it gets REALLY dusty. I just make sure and blow it out really well with compressed air every day or two and I've had no problems. You might wanna put a book or something underneath it, just so it's got a firm surface to sit on.
 
Why don't you make a little cabinet for your PS3? Personally I am not attracted to the idea of my PS3 standing on the ground leaning against something.
 
Off topic...

Hen, how can you have "Building a Ferrari" in your sig and not have a link or anything!?
Details, man! :D
 
Mine just sits, upright, on the living room carpet and it's fine.
 
Mine just sits upright on the carpet with the top leaning against the leg of my desk. I never clean it (which is bad I know, but meh). I occasionally wipe down the outside but never have I blown air in it.

Infact, here is a photo in the post your setup thread:
62993_1627962704455_1398181823_1686001_7600660_n.jpg

Taken with a crappy phone camera and the cables are cleaned up now but you get the idea.
 
I really wouldn't bother putting it in a pillow case as when it's off and the fans aren't working it won't be drawing any air through it and therefore won't be pulling any dust in. If you're worried about putting it directly on a dusty/fluffy carpet (vertical or horizontal) then place it on a sheet of plastic or card cut to fit. I've got mine (slim) on a stand I made out of perforated sheet metal to elevate it up about 1cm to try and let the hot air escape underneath which I guess it does but it didn't stop the fan on my old PS3 fat going into overdrive.

Regardless of what you do make sue there's plenty of space around it and vacuum the vents regularly.
 
The fatty doesn't need a stand. Just put it on whatever surface your TV is on. But keep it as far away from the TV as possible if you're using WiFi.
 
Its kind of enclosed. Slim PS3s aren't as needy in regards to open spaces as Phats are/were, but that still looks like a risky place to put it.
 
Its kind of enclosed. Slim PS3s aren't as needy in regards to open spaces as Phats are/were, but that still looks like a risky place to put it.

I know, I want to build a Wooden Base that keeps it about 5cm above the ground, I will drill holes in it to keep the PS3 cool. I don't know.

But do you guys see any other opertunities for it to be placed near my desk?

Thanks!
 
That speaker may shake the crap out of it.

Actually, looking at that pic makes me realise my PS3 has been shaken to death for the last year or so :D! It never used to sit there...
 
That speaker may shake the crap out of it.

Actually, looking at that pic makes me realise my PS3 has been shaken to death for the last year or so :D! It never used to sit there...

I hardly use the speakers, I have headphones so the speaker will be the least of my worries, any other problems/better places to put it, suggestions?? (I'm trying to find the perfect stop and I guess this is as good as I could do.) :scared:
 
That shelf or slit right below your desktop looks like an ideal place to put it, it seems like its not currently used for anything. Where you have it now kinda looks like a heat trap to me.

Sony or some 🤬

Yeah I think it was Sony

In fact here is a link: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/scph-98054.html

Wow, I didn't know they did an official slim one. Trust Sony! Surprised there wasn't one for the original one, although she is a weighty thing! ;).

Robin.
 
That shelf or slit right below your desktop looks like an ideal place to put it, it seems like its not currently used for anything. Where you have it now kinda looks like a heat trap to me.



Wow, I didn't know they did an official slim one. Trust Sony! Surprised there wasn't one for the original one, although she is a weighty thing! ;).

Robin.

I don't want to put it there because it's SUPER UNSTABLE, and if I want to put it horizontal, the 3 out of 4 of the rubber feet that came with the PS3 are now missing, so it sits lump sided. That's why I wanted to put it up vertical.
 
I'd put it under the drawer that way the PS3 can have all of the air that it wants. Have you consider using book stoppers as something to stand it up?
 
Why don't you just buy one of those cheapo plastic stands off of eBay or something. They cost like $3, and they are basically wholesale copies of the Sony ones anyways.
 
Mine just sits upright on the carpet with the top leaning against the leg of my desk. I never clean it (which is bad I know, but meh). I occasionally wipe down the outside but never have I blown air in it.

Infact, here is a photo in the post your setup thread:
62993_1627962704455_1398181823_1686001_7600660_n.jpg

Taken with a crappy phone camera and the cables are cleaned up now but you get the idea.

Isn't that space waay tighter than mine! and yours is a PHAT! Won't it over heat and explode :p ?? :confused:

And people were saying mine was in a heat trapped area!

I'd put it under the drawer that way the PS3 can have all of the air that it wants. Have you consider using book stoppers as something to stand it up?

In the drawer??? That sound like PS3 suicide to me! The drawer is like putting it in a dried can of tuna and closing it! Why would the drawer be the best place!?? :confused: :confused: !
 
Last edited:
I meant UNDER the drawer. Did your brain skipped that part?
 
On your bookshelf could you not widen the gap between two shelves (lets say nearer the bottom) and put it on there vertically and parallel to the back of the case?

Maybe some more pics of other parts of your room would help find a spot! :lol:

Robin.
 
On your bookshelf could you not widen the gap between two shelves (lets say nearer the bottom) and put it on there vertically and parallel to the back of the case?

Maybe some more pics of other parts of your room would help find a spot! :lol:

Robin.

Alright, I'm on it, I will post some more sometime today
 
Never put electronics on the carpet for long periods. Dusk and dirt build up much quicker.
 
Never put electronics on the carpet for long periods. Dusk and dirt build up much quicker.

I said I was going to make a wooden stand that keeps it about 10CM off the ground.
 
Could use some books if you are too lazy.
 
Put it where those textbooks are.

There is one problem, where will the cables go? :O

I will have to drill big holes through the back of the shelf, and it's mounted to the wall so it's quite impossible.
 
Back