PS3 rally games (no more GT rally)

• Thread starter Adamaw11
  • 30 comments
Australia
Australia
Adam-aw11
What are the best of the current rally games on PS3 ?
I'm guessing Dirt 3? and WRC 3?

I'm looking at recommendations on what to get.

I used to love Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 on PC(many years ago), played the full rally season through many many times.

GT6 has some fair rally physics, and a fair choice of rally cars (even a few old Group B cars), but its appallingly limited in content. Only 3 rally "races" in the whole career mode.

So its time to go and buy a real rally game.

Are there some good current rally games where you can do a full WRC rally season with all the rally stages based on real life like in CMR 2.0?

either on PS3 or PC, opinions please.

Dirt 3 is good fun with a nice selection of cars; not a simulation by any stretch but it's reasonably half-grounded in reality. I recommend the Complete Edition if you get it (all DLC). It isn't anything like a WRC season, but it's all we get in the united states so it's what I've got. For the same reason, I know nothing about today's WRC games.

I've got WRC4 on the Vita and it's a great game, no doubt that it's much better on the home consoles.

@Wolfe I'd suggest creating a UK SEN account and buying WRC4 off of that. I don't remember the price (mostly like not cheap), but you'll be able to get WRC 3 and WRC 4 to download.

I'd suggest DiRT (the first one) for the track (Pikes Peak, anyone?) and car selection if you're willing to go further back in time. DiRT3 is another good choice if you're looking for recent ones. Just make sure to pick up the Complete Edition.

Unfortunately, I don't own WRC3 nor WRC4. However, I'd suggest you to try the demos out. If I'm not mistaken, both WRC3 and WRC4 demos are still available in the PS Store.

You say you also have PC - why not go for Richard Burns Rally 2013? WRC 3 and 4 are the only WRC sanctioned games though - so you can definitely run full rally seasons in arcade mode there. WRC3 has group B but WRC 4 doesn't, for some reason.

Sounds interesting. Good to hear WRC 3 has group B cars, I thought it might only be modern stuff, current rally season etc.
Havn't heard of Richard burns Rally, but if its on the same level of the others, probably worth looking out for.

To compliment your 'real' type of rally games, picking up SEGA Rally for PS3 wouldn't be a bad move. The best arcade racer in ages in my opinion. 👍

Richard Burns Rally was quite the aberration it seems. Released in 2004, no-one has made a rally sim before or since that matches it. Exactly why it's been updated with mods each year right up to 2014. So yes, ten years on, and still not beaten.

On top of that....

Richard Burns Rally with some help from Assetto Corsa.

I have Dirt 3, I like the graphics & handling but the stages are too short and mostly too wide, and I don't have the option to set up a full rally offline outside of career mode.

The best rally games on PS3 are the WRC series. They focus on actual rally and not x-games bs (with the exception of WRC3's career mode), you can run single stages or set up custom rallies/championships, there's a decent number of stages, and some of the stages can be very challenging.
You can make a UK PSN account and download demos of WRC3 & WRC4 to get an idea on how they play.

WRC3 is on PSN, Dirt 3 is a more polished and more exciting game with some of the best sounds in the genre.

WC3 is like GT, it has the content and the physics but I wouldn't get it on PS3, I've had enough of bad ports and since it's a digital only title in all of America, it's too expensive.

WC3 is like GT, it has the content and the physics but I wouldn't get it on PS3, I've had enough of bad ports and since it's a digital only title in all of America, it's too expensive.
WRC3 isn't just a digital copy here in the states, you can buy a physical copy from a Gamestop for $20 new.

WRC3 isn't just a digital copy here in the states, you can buy a physical copy from a Gamestop for $20 new.

I'm in Mexico, Gamestop doesn't exist here and some games never get released here. The rest of America has very different markets and regulations, What I can get here might not be accessible in Brazil but way easier to get in Argentina.

Absolute Supercars by Eutechnyx for example is exclusive to the US PSN Store

I'm in Mexico, Gamestop doesn't exist here and some games never get released here. The rest of America has very different markets and regulations, What I can get here might not be accessible in Brazil but way easier to get in Argentina.
I've never seen any WRC games in Brazilian stores, I've always imported them from UK.

I ended up getting WRC3 in hard copy.
I wasn't that impressed with it at first, graphics / fps wasn't that smooth after playing GT6.
But its grown on me and I'm liking it now. Good to have official rally stages of decent length. And minimal stuffing around, I can just jump straight into a WRC rally season.

Although, I havn't unlocked the Group B cars yet, and that was one of the main things I was looking for.

I bought WRC 3 and WRC 4 for ps3 buy ordering UK copies through amazon. It does not take long once they are released in the UK for their copies to become available to the US. Since basically all ps3 games are region free you can order a copy from everywhere. The game patches work, but if you want to order the DLC (which i never did) I think you need an account for the region your disc is from. WRC 4 is now finally released in North America but I got the UK copy back in Dec 2013 for $45 with shipping Now it is about $35

Both were a lot of fun.. but like Adamaw11 said, the graphics are lacking compared to GT5 & 6.. but it is a rally game.

WRC 4 improved on all aspects vs WRC 3 with better sound, improved physics, and slightly better graphics. Only thing missing for me is the real distance stages ... these games only contain shorter special stages and super special stages. They do not contain any of the long stages that take between 20-50mins to complete. Though I understand that would be a huge undertaking.. having the ability to run at least a few stages that are 15-20mins each would be a nice addition.

So my vote is for WRC 4 - with a wheel and something easy to use as a handbrake it is good fun... I made a video awhile back showing my setup using the DFGT with the added paddle shifters

Last edited:
Since basically all ps3 games are region free you can order a copy from everywhere. The game patches work, but if you want to order the DC (which i never did) I think you need an account for the region your disc is from.
I have all WRC games on PS3, all UK version, the only one I got DLC for is WRC2. I bought the DLC using my UK PSN account, the DLC works in any of my accounts.

I ended up getting WRC3 in hard copy.
I wasn't that impressed with it at first, graphics / fps wasn't that smooth after playing GT6.
But its grown on me and I'm liking it now. Good to have official rally stages of decent length. And minimal stuffing around, I can just jump straight into a WRC rally season.

Although, I havn't unlocked the Group B cars yet, and that was one of the main things I was looking for.
Group B cars are there, once you take the relevant missions on. At least it wasn't as bad as WRC2 and the first where you had to buy them as DLC.

Yeah the graphics aren't like GT6 - but Milestone are a really, really small company compared to PD - don't forget that.

I got WRC4 for $10 in the Humble Bundle and it has absolutely horrible force feedback. Get it if you use a controller.

I got WRC4 for $10 in the Humble Bundle and it has absolutely horrible force feedback. Get it if you use a controller.
Curious.. which wheel do you use? Cause on ps3 (after tweaking the settings) it feels good with the DFGT

Edit - Basically to get it to feel right, I turned off 900deg steering. Don't quote me on this but I believe WRC cars have a quick steering rack anyways, as in they only need to turn the wheel about 360-500deg to go from lock to lock. So running at 900deg did not seem sensitive enough. the 270 mode is quite sensitive though.. so 900deg with +6 linearity may work as well.. That is what I changed to on Grid Autosport... heck I should put WRC 4 back in when I get a chance and try it myself.

Last edited:
This may be of interest to you guys:
http://www.bsimracing.com/remastered-colin-mcrae-rally-up-on-steam/

Remastered Colin McRae Rally up on Steam
As a total surprise, a new version of Colin McRae Rally has just appeared on Steam. While at first it looked like this was one of the classic retro releases we see appear on the Steam platform now and then, this version of Colin McRae Rally seems to be different. Remastered and based on the PlayStation One classic Colin McRae 2.0, this game is retailed for $7.00.

The game is stated to be 90% Colin McRae Rally 2.0 content, running on the Unity engine. The developer explains that this version of the game shares the same code as the recently released mobile port, but has been revamped for PC and MAC. They state that they have done a lot of work on the handling and graphics side of things and re-mastered the audio to make this the best possible version yet making this a true hybrid game.

This new Colin McRae Rally for Windows PC version features thirty rally stages and four cars. The Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Lancia Stratos and Ford Focus.

The Cars:
Get behind the wheel of four legendary rally cars, the Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Lancia Stratos and Colin McRae’s Ford Focus. Pace notes read by professional rally co-driver Nicky Grist help you fully commit through each and every stage.

Control:
With the critically acclaimed Colin McRae Rally handling, damage and physics model under the hood, feel the thrill of putting pedal to metal across different surface types and blast through beautiful, challenging environments. Race with a range of pads, including Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers.

The Challenge:
Take on different game modes including quick races, full rallies and Championships, post your best time to the leaderboards and unlock achievements.

Check out the remastered Colin Mcrea Rally on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app0/28734

WARNING!

That Colin McRae game has hardly anything to do with the old original Playstation/PC title. It's a freaking mobile port that gets sold as pseudo HD remake, although it looks like a supercheap mobile game (well, it actually is one...). Even worse than the looks (not the most important thing anyway) is the rest and I really mean the whole rest of the game.
The content compared to the original PS/PC title is a joke, basically much less of everything. The driving is a joke, heck you can't even adjust settings.

Watch it on youtube, just take sure you watch the remake and not the original game.

I've owned all DIRT games on ps3 and sold them all eventually, good fun and great graphics but when i think what code masters used to make with the old colin mcrae games i just can't get into it them! Especially the short stages in DIRT3!
Only played the demos for the WRC games, they've made some great improvements since the first game from what i've played in the demos and i am now debating wether to pick up one of WRC games or a MotoGP games just to have a different racing experience than GT.

Oh, just noticed you said you had a PC.

For PC, Richard Burns Rally is a no-brainer. Paired with the RSRBR 2014 mod and some other mods, it's the ultimate rally sim. The graphics are pretty dated, but its physics are the best compared to DiRT 3 or WRC 4.

Alright, whats the easiest way to get hold of RBR? will I need to get a basic copy of the original game first? easily downloaded from somewhere?
Guessing there would be a fair bit of downloading. I wasn't really that keen on getting into another "diy" game setup with mods and stuff (like I was into for a while with rFactor), but if RBR is that well established, I guess it could be straight-forward to just setup a standard rally season with updated content?

Alright, whats the easiest way to get hold of RBR? will I need to get a basic copy of the original game first? easily downloaded from somewhere?
Guessing there would be a fair bit of downloading. I wasn't really that keen on getting into another "diy" game setup with mods and stuff (like I was into for a while with rFactor), but if RBR is that well established, I guess it could be straight-forward to just setup a standard rally season with updated content?
There is a thread here with all of the associated links, I suggest you go look there...

You can find RBR on a lot of digital download sites as well as eBay for physical copies.

The RSRBR 2014 mod is pretty big, but it has clear instructions on how to install everything and such. You can do a rally season with the RSRBR cars and physics but only with the vanilla maps.

Back