PS4/5: Replacing disk with digital - does profile carry over?

half_sourly

There's a stat for that
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
half_sourly
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help with some questions please?

I have the disk version of a game for PS4 and want to buy the digital edition PS5.
- If I buy the digital version of the game now (for PS4) while waiting for PS5 stock, will my profile, progress, etc. be picked up by the digital version, or will I have to start from scratch?
- When I get the PS5, will digital games I'd bought previously be available on the PS5 once I signed into it with my usual profile?
- Will progress I made on a game on PS4 be carried over to PS5 for digital edition games?
- And for disk edition games?

Many thanks!

Yes, no, yes, yes, I think so.
If you’re first question is regarding GTS, then all carries over. All digital games remain in your library. 99% PS4 games can be played on PS5. Some games, you can buy (for a little more $) and get the PS4 version with the PS5 version in tow. Meaning you’ve prepaid for the PS5 version when it comes.

It's worth noting that your game saves are only backed up to the cloud if you have PS+ (make sure you've set them to do so). If you don't have PS+, don't forget to back your save games up to a USB stick - you'll then be able to copy them to your PS5. If you've got a spare external USB drive with decent capacity then it's worth backing up all your PS4 games to that as it makes the process of getting them up and running on PS5 much quicker AND saves them eating into the internal storage that you'll need for PS5-native games.

Good advice, thanks @LOGI_Rich.

I've tried the first step with success - buying the digital version of a game I already had on disk - and that worked fine. I deleted the disk version, but kept the profile and progress files, downloaded the digital version and it picked it up where I left off with the disk version. Easy as.

Now just waiting for PS5 stock to be replenished...

Back