PS4 and PS5 lap time comparison.

• Thread starter Fido996
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
Mallory
GBRC-Fido996
Hi all, just after some info.

Has there been a comparison done between the two consoles involving lap times?

Maybe it’s me, but the group I race with are a mixture of PS4 &PS5 users and there definitely seems to be something in this as all who are using a PS5 have improved over their previous times. Whether this is an actual difference in speed, consistency or general feel making a difference it’s hard to tell.

Just wanted peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks for any help gents.

As a PS5 owner I can say that graphically the game doesn't appear to run any differently, that said the DualSense controller seems to have more granularity in terms of throttle, brake and steering input - so it could be down to that, perhaps?

PS4 up till November 24. A+/S rating 51,000DR on a T300 and TLCM pedals. Switched to a PS5 and OLED TV November 25 and raced like that. I improved some of my best lap times. March 18 upgraded to a Fanatec DD1 podium series and V3 pedals. Since adjusting to that I have improved all my best lap times. Some were quite an improvement. Currently sitting around 66-67,000DR. I will say that during this process since I have also worked worked super hard on improving my driving technique in order to lower my times. I’m not sure what any of the upgrades have to do with it since I can factor in busting my butt working on what little skill set I have.

Thanks for the reply’s gents.

My set up is a T300RS with T-LCM pedals. Many of the guys I race with upgraded to Fanatecs when they had their sale, but most have recently upgraded to PS5s which seems to have coincided with their gain of pace. We only have 2 drivers using the new controller one of which has had a large jump in pace.

Maybe I'm imagining all this or it’s my pace that has decreased. My consistency has though through pushing harder to keep up!

As a PS5 owner I can say that graphically the game doesn't appear to run any differently, that said the DualSense controller seems to have more granularity in terms of throttle, brake and steering input - so it could be down to that, perhaps?
You answered the question I was going to ask. Thanks.

Still working on it, but right now, using the controllers, I'm a lot quicker on my PS4 Pro, compared to my PS5. Also, I feel I'm working harder on the PS5, and getting slower lap times. It's kind of disheartening. Each console has its own television, and my sitting distance from each television is different. I'm guessing that, and the difference in controllers might have something to do with it. Both consoles look very nice and run very smooth on their televisions. Anyone else experience any of this?

So check this out…

Last night I fired up my new PS5 and played GTS on it for the first time. I was 2/10’s faster right off the bat. I’m a wheel user coming from a bone stock PS4, and I could instantly tell how much clearer and more detailed the picture was. I could also catch and correct my mistakes much quicker it seemed.

I thiiiiiink, the increased frame rates have something to do with it. I remember reading over in the ACC forum how the physics really suffer on console because of the low frame rates. Something about the data getting bottlenecked and compounded on both the computer and user side of the equation - if that makes any sense - ……. And the player being slower to react to nuances because the coding is being crammed through 30fps instead of eloquently being conveyed through 60fps. In turn, I’m slower to react, and the adjustments I send back into the game also gets bottlenecked and compounded because of the low frame rates.

Makes sense I suppose.

At any rate, the game already looked amazing through a PS4, it just looks that much better through a PS5. I can’t wait to plug in my PSVR to see what it looks like. Fingers crossed that GT7 gives full VR access from day 1, and we can just use our first gen VR sets until PSVR2 comes out

hello everyone, I use the translator, so I already apologize for the English. I'm A + S and I run at the 24hr nurburgring almost always. With ps5 I'm half a second slower, I think because the image and the colors have changed. I had a normal PS4 and the change was noticeable. Race with g29

I thiiiiiink, the increased frame rates have something to do with it. I remember reading over in the ACC forum how the physics really suffer on console because of the low frame rates. Something about the data getting bottlenecked and compounded on both the computer and user side of the equation - if that makes any sense - ……. And the player being slower to react to nuances because the coding is being crammed through 30fps instead of eloquently being conveyed through 60fps. In turn, I’m slower to react, and the adjustments I send back into the game also gets bottlenecked and compounded because of the low frame rates.
I thought about getting AC/ACC but once I saw the framerate on PS4 was an abysmal 30fps I didn't bother lol. Cannot race at that framerate! GTS is 60fps though. And the Project Cars series apparently also runs around 60fps, so might grab that at some point, but with GT7 around the corner not much point atm.

Back