PS4 Controller Users - Which button configuration do you use to change gears

• Thread starter TonyB66
  • 72 comments
United Kingdom
London
FAST-CLAIM
I have always used Auto Gear but realise that going manual is the way to go for more control of the cars. I'm struggling to find the right button set up for changing gears given that I like to use R2/L2 to accelerate/brake.

Due to an old neck/disc problem the tips of my thumb and fore finger are numb and I don’t have a lot of feeling and I am struggling to find the right combo of buttons that allow me to change gear intuitively.

What configuration do you use and why?

I just use x/square as it's the default and I got accustomed to it before even considering remapping.

If that doesn't work for you maybe try the right stick up/down? Of course I can't feel your fingers, but that seems most logical to me if you don't want to use the tip of your thumb

I personally use circle for upshifts and square for downshifts. I think I got used to it on the old Dirt games...
I like it because they're far enough apart to prevent a mis-shift but thats just me. I also considered using circle and x because it seems more intuitive, but i was already accustomed to the old layout.
Really anything that avoids the sticks, triggers or bumpers should be fine. Try a few setups out and see what feels natural.

:cheers:

For me the best combination I found was to increase the gear with "L1" and downshift with "R1", just the opposite of accelerating and braking.

This setting allows you to make a quicker exchange since the only fingers you use are the index fingers. This is specially useful when you have to shift gears during a turn depending on the situation because, in my opinion, is faster. Using "L1" and "R1" allows you to make a more natural and fluid movement with your hands, so to speak. I feel a lot more comfortable using these buttons

I have always used this settings in Project Cars 2 and I continue to use it in Gran Turismo. After so many tests I truly believe this was the best solution. Try to use this setting, but allow some time for your brain to get used to it and assimilate it. Then tell me what you think.

Last edited:
L1 to downshift and R1 to upshift. It just makes sense for me to have my upshift and throttle adjacent to each other while braking and decelerating are next to each other. Downshifting and braking are also easy to handle at the same time when you hit the index finger and the middle finger on the same hand.

Someone posted in another thread that they use the right stick to shift. Sort of like a sequential shifter.
Can’t remember who it was sorry. Might help if you lack feel when mashing buttons.

My method came about when playing Gran Turismo 3... I wanted throttle and brake at different hands to attempt an equivalent of left foot braking...I then tried to fit gear changing on to remaining buttons which did not require thumbs, as my thumbs were occupied by right and left stick..I still use same arrangement now and I wouldn't change it..a wheel would be the best solution but is inconvenient.... I tried braking on left stick but it interfered with my steering which is also on left stick.

Throttle... Right stick
Steering...Left stick
Brakes...L2
Gear up...R2
Gear down...R1

I cannot use the d-pad or triangle, circle, square and X for car control if I am also busy with right and left sticks, so these buttons are reserved for MFD, lights, wipers, etc.

I just use x/square as it's the default and I got accustomed to it before even considering remapping.

If that doesn't work for you maybe try the right stick up/down? Of course I can't feel your fingers, but that seems most logical to me if you don't want to use the tip of your thumb

Before I got a wheel I used the right stick after trying everything else first. I really found it to be easiest and fastest to get used to.

Simple .handbreak x .Shift up circle, shift down square. Like Gotham racing 2 fought me.

And motion steering. I'm a C driver .It would be interesting to know exactly what setting A driver's use with the ps4

Right analog stick for gas/brake. L1 downshift R1 upshift. I use a wheel now, but that was how I did it with DS4. I feel that the analog stick for throttle and brake allowed me to modulate much easier - I also used stick extensions for more precision.

For me personally, when I was a DS user I used right stick accel/brake, left stick steer, L2/R2 shift, R1/O handbrake, L1 look behind. That's how I learnt on PS2 and carried it over to PS3 as I couldn't use L2/R2 to accel/brake on the DS3.
I could however use the L2/R2 equivalents when I played some of the Forza games on the 360 because it had a longer throw and for that I think I used the equivalent of O for up shift and [] for down shift.

[ ] = Up
X = Down

71uQYNKiKCL._SX342_.jpg

Always used this and the equivalent on XBox simply because that's where your thumb rests.

I tried the opposite as its more to my liking on a sequential shift on a real car but it puts the thumb at a weird angle of sorts.

For me with game pad (since Gran Turismo 3) it's been: right stick up for acceleration, right stick down for braking, left stick for steering. R2 for gear up, L2 for gear down. Circle for handbrake. Out of forcefeedback wheel, I haven't seen reason to change that in 2 decades...

I haven't changed from the default settings so X = Up and Square = Down.

It felt odd at first, like it should be the other way around but I got used to it pretty quickly so it's second nature now.

x to upshift
square to downshift

Mainly because that's how I first learnt it on F1 Championship Edition, haven't felt the need to change it

X and square. I use default layout. Its good that way I can use right stick to look and D pad for mfd

71uQYNKiKCL._SX342_.jpg

Always used this and the equivalent on XBox simply because that's where your thumb rests.

I tried the opposite as its more to my liking on a sequential shift on a real car but it puts the thumb at a weird angle of sorts.

Actually, I got my commands transposed (edited my original post to reflect this). I use X to shift up and [ ] to shift down. It's better for my dexterity.

Back