PS4 Controller Users - Which button configuration do you use to change gears

• Thread starter TonyB66
  • 72 comments
Literally, every single motorcycle on the street is configured this way unless modified post purchase. Up to shift up, down to shift down.

You can switch to a "GP" shift so you can press down to upshift in the middle of a corner, but as the name implies, it's usually found in racing.

Hence the "1 down 5 up" assortment of items to purchase. 1 click down to go from neutral to first, then 5 upshifts from there.

1135361_1.jpg

Don't knock it 'til you try it
We ain't talking about bikes here though. In cars, aside from some utterly stupid SMG BMW's, you pull back to shift up, and push forward to shift down, utilizing the forces on your body to make it easier.

We ain't talking about bikes here though. In cars, aside from some utterly stupid SMG BMW's, you pull back to shift up, and push forward to shift down, utilizing the forces on your body to make it easier.

Exactly

Also dont most bikes use their feet other than them suicide shifter type things that is just look cool stuff

Actually, we're talking game controllers where there is no force whatsoever.

I first did it because of bikes, then I found it's better than buttons.

Actually, we're talking game controllers where there is no force whatsoever.

I first did it because of bikes, then I found it's better than buttons.

Bikes?

They are not saying the stick is not sim shifterish its just if going to set it up like that FORGET bikes, set it up so its the same as when you jump in a car in real life. Dunno bout you but lots of us drive real cars and how retarded would it be to use the reversed to whats in our cars (that Dumb BMW aside lol) its counter intuitive if you drive real cars not just video games. Something to concider in the future when you get your license, dont want to be shifting backwards and have to relearn your motor reflexes.

Bikes?

They are not saying the stick is not sim shifterish its just if going to set it up like that FORGET bikes, set it up so its the same as when you jump in a car in real life. Dunno bout you but lots of us drive real cars and how retarded would it be to use the reversed to whats in our cars (that Dumb BMW aside lol) its counter intuitive if you drive real cars not just video games. Something to concider in the future when you get your license, dont want to be shifting backwards and have to relearn your motor reflexes.

Thanks, I'll be sure to consider that, although cider is delicious

19225104_10158829648895032_8998165621019347495_n.jpg

Flip it around if it makes more sense for you, no skin off my butt. All I'm saying is that using the stick is worth trying because I found it better than buttons.

Thanks, I'll be sure to consider that, although cider is delicious

19225104_10158829648895032_8998165621019347495_n.jpg

Flip it around if it makes more sense for you, no skin off my butt. All I'm saying is that using the stick is worth trying because I found it better than buttons.

I agree, I like using the stick in the correct configuration up shifts down and down shifts up to give me a little bit more simish feel

Its a novelty because unfortunately the configuration doesn't work that well racing for me when the joystick better serves as a look around control.

What's with all the pics of bikes that shift gears with their feet?

I agree, I like using the stick in the correct configuration up shifts down and down shifts up to give me a little bit more simish feel

Its a novelty because unfortunately the configuration doesn't work that well racing for me when the joystick better serves as a look around control.

What's with all the pics of bikes that shift gears with their feet?

It's the same as the notion of muscle memory. For me, up is up, down is down. When I come into a hard braking corner (IRL), it's grab the brakes, squeeze the clutch, and start stomping down on the lever.

I've tried GP shift, but I didn't like the how downshifts worked going into braking zones.

I find that, in game, it seems more natural to go up for upshift, etc. I think it's because of other games where forward is up, and backward is down. So, if I want to go "more forward" so to speak, I would press up. If I want to go backward (or stop), press down.

I do miss the left/right analog look though. I wish I could still map that to the right stick.

But anyway, that's likely why it works for me. It's combination experiences.

What I talking about is making the joystick like the shift lever in your car.

Now on the controller up is up & down is down right but up is ALSO forward and down is ALSO back. Its at least like this for most people. In a game like COD you want the character to move forward you push up, whant him to backup you push down.

So up is forward and down is back for you too.

Shifting gears in the car we dont move the lever up and down, we move it forward and back. Forwards being to downshift and back to up shift.

So on the simulated lever its only comon sense forward (up) is down shift and back (down) is up shift.

Move to wheel set up with sequential shifter or into a real car its forward down shift back to up shift. Seems only logical they all be set up the same way....

Logitech-Gaming-Driving-Force-GT-9.jpg

I still dont get the bikes reference, you relay muscle memory from your foot into your hand?

Last edited:
I used to use the right stick for shifting in GT6 (up for up, down for down), but the closed beta initially forced you into presets. I couldn’t get used to inverted controls so I switched to the bumpers. I think I slightly preferred the “stick shift” feel over the “paddle shift” feel, but it’s opened up the right stick for camera controls so its a net positive.

I used to use the right stick for shifting in GT6 (up for up, down for down), but the closed beta initially forced you into presets. I couldn’t get used to inverted controls so I switched to the bumpers. I think I slightly preferred the “stick shift” feel over the “paddle shift” feel, but it’s opened up the right stick for camera controls so its a net positive.

A lot of games (although cant think of any) force you to use forward to down shift and back to up shift. Either through selecting the joystick to shift with and no ability to map out your inverted set up. Or same deal with a sequential shifter set up like the DFGT or G37 shifter in sequential mode.

If ever planning to use sequential shifters in real life or just being able to use it in most games to simulate the real life stuff its worth it to get used to it, but unnessesary one could use left and right to shift what ever works best for them, Im mostly speaking on simulating a sequential shifter.

I also agree using the joystick for looking around gets the most out of it

Last edited:
I still dont get the bikes reference, you relay muscle memory from your foot into your hand?

Yes. Surprising, I know, but we're not all the same.

Im mostly speaking on simulating a sequential shifter.

I also agree using the joystick for looking around gets the most out of it

To be fair, for many people, the "sequential shifter" they will encounter most is the semi auto in their car, which, like a Porsche PDK, is up (or forward) for up and down for down. I've seen many semi-autos like this.

porsche-pdk.jpg

However, this is not ALWAYS the case and even Porsche have it different depending on the model.

Point being, whatever works for you. Up and Down or Down and Up. I still prefer stick over buttons.

I get the bike reference I was more hinting at the irrelevance between clicking gears with your foot vs driving cars. Them semi-automatics are one thing but a Manual sequential shifter is what I've been talking about simulating vs guy with semi-automatic playing like they have a manual transmission. This is what you find in Race Cars ;) that aren't on the flappy padles lol and street cars turned into track cars. It kinda goes along with the sound of straight cut gears.

I agree with you though I like the stick and prefer it over buttons :/ sadly to race clean and close in tight packs online the shoulder check with the joystick to me is a must have. Since its a pita just getting used to using buttons over the stick For Me its better I leave gears on buttons vs one way for TT offline and another for Online Racing.

End of day though what ever works best for you is what best. If you like joystick left & right to shift gears by all means use what works best fir you

Latest Posts

Back