PS4 Custom Online Lobbies the Pros and ConsPS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 45 comments

TT92

Premium
Australia
WA
TT__777
This could go in the 1.14 update thread but I did not want it to get lost in all the other discussions. I do believe it does deserve it's own thread.

What is Bad about custom Online Custom Lobbies:

* There is NO kick button (self explanatory)
* There is no room owner to administer said button
* You must leave the lobby if you wish to change cars
* You must start a new lobby if you wish to change tracks/cars/rules
* There is no in room chat
* There is no button to disallow tuning (important for street cars especially)
* There is no select a class button, you must enter ALL cars individually
* We can't have custom championships (as I was inclined to believe before 1.14 released)
* We can't give drivers a wide choice of cars the limit is up to 16 cars
* We can't restrict people joining by Ping Time/country or type of driver
* There needs to be a better way to enter what the room description is or as GT6 does once you pass your curser over the room see what the rules/cars are
* It has really messed up Kunos's own online rooms - they get buried
* People should be able to join private rooms if they are on your friends list
* We should be able to invite friends once on the track/pits
* Can't have reverse grids or random
* Can't have handicap races
* Can't force pitstop
* Can't force tyre selection or change of compound on pit stop
* NO race replay

What is Good about Online Custom Lobbies

* The main one is **THEY ARE FINALLY HERE** Whoo Hooo :cheers:
* We can run all tracks and all cars with friends or with strangers
* We can run any combination of cars/rules/laps etc
* Great rule customisation
* Great to be able to set track grip
* Very stable
* Lag has not been an issue - so far! (see above about Ping)

Now please feel free to add to the list or comment on what I have listed. I hope I am not being too critical of Kunos's first attempt BUT they need to know what we do and don't like.

* We can't have custom championships (as I was inclined to believe before 1.14 released)

Well, you guys keep saying you want the console version to be more inline with the PC version.....there ya go! Those things are all exactly the same on the PC. :lol:

FWIW reverse grids and forced pitstops were just recently added to the PC version so hopefully they will trickle down at some point.

The cons for are i cant create a bloody room. keeps saying error try later, pretty damn annoying.

Same here. I thought it might have been something to do with the cars I'd chosen (some being DLC mixed with normal cars) but I saw other rooms with DLC cars in them so wasn't sure what it was.

I was trying to setup a WEC GT lobby with
4x Corvettes
4x 458s
4x M3 GT2s
4x 911 RSRs
each with a different livery

Just wouldn't let me do it though? Is there a limit on how many rooms can be on the servers?

Same here. I thought it might have been something to do with the cars I'd chosen (some being DLC mixed with normal cars) but I saw other rooms with DLC cars in them so wasn't sure what it was.

I was trying to setup a WEC GT lobby with
4x Corvettes
4x 458s
4x M3 GT2s
4x 911 RSRs
each with a different livery

Just wouldn't let me do it though? Is there a limit on how many rooms can be on the servers?
I thought that too so left it at default, same problem. A theory mention was that all the slots have been taken.

I already made these requests in the update 1.14 thread. I might add more as it comes to mind.
  • Lobby creation needs an "allow" setting for each assist so players can decide for themselves. More flexibility and a little more freedom when it doesn't need to be very strict.
  • There needs to be n/a settings for qualify and race sessions, enabling players to create track day lobbies consisting of nothing but a practice session. Nordschleife Tourist is currently not available for the custom lobbies.
I also noticed a couple of bugs / issues:
  • The liveries shown in the car selection thumbnails may show a different color than the one given after joining a session.
  • The assists settings (on, off and factory) chosen by the lobby creator do not always translate correctly to the lobby preview screen. For example, TC and ABS may be shown as 'off' although the lobby creator chose 'factory'. I cannot say whether this bug only affects the visual representation or actually changes the rules defined by the lobby creator.

* We can run all tracks and all cars with friends or with strangers

I'm 99% sure there is no way to run Nordschleife Tourist. See my second point above.

I already made these requests in the update 1.14 thread. I might add more as it comes to mind.
  • Lobby creation needs an "allow" setting for each assist so players can decide for themselves. More flexibility and a little more freedom when it doesn't need to be very strict.
  • There needs to be n/a settings for qualify and race sessions, enabling players to create track day lobbies consisting of nothing but a practice session. Nordschleife Tourist is currently not available for the custom lobbies.
  • The liveries shown in the car selection thumbnails may show a different color than the one given after joining a session.
  • The assists settings (on, off and factory) chosen by the lobby creator do not always translate correctly to the lobby preview screen. For example, TC and ABS may be shown as 'off' although the lobby creator chose 'factory'. I cannot say whether this bug only affects the visual representation or actually changes the rules defined by the lobby creator.

I'm 99% sure there is no way to run Nordschleife Tourist. See my second point above.

That is one track I did not test. I will have a look a little later and get back to you.

I am looking now, there is no option for the Tourist track at all, it is not listed. I suppose since you can't actually race there and it is already catered fro in Public lobbies they left it out. I do agree, it should be selectable though.

The cons for are i cant create a bloody room. keeps saying error try later, pretty damn annoying.

I must admit I had that when I first tried too. After a while it just worked and since I have had no problems.

Something to note: even when everyone leaves the lobby and it is empty the room still exists for a while and you (or anyone else) can rejoin. There must be some sort of timer attached to created rooms.

I should add, it seemed the rooms I tried to create did not like the race distance set to one lap. Once I changed that everything started to work. BTW I was at the new Highlands Long. I had "0" Practice, 15 min Qualifying and 1 Lap race distance. Once I changed race distance to 2 laps everything worked fine. May be a coincidence but worth a try.

Last edited:

Nor drift track! But do not worry as Kunos are aware of it. Also as well as practice, a hot lap session would be good too. I know you an do that in practice but an official one would attract more competitors.

That is one track I did not test. I will have a look a little later and get back to you.

I am looking now, there is no option for the Tourist track at all, it is not listed. I suppose since you can't actually race there and it is already catered fro in Public lobbies they left it out. I do agree, it should be selectable though.

I must admit I had that when I first tried too. After a while it just worked and since I have had no problems.

Something to note: even when everyone leaves the lobby and it is empty the room still exists for a while and you (or anyone else) can rejoin. There must be some sort of timer attached to created rooms.

I should add, it seemed the rooms I tried to create did not like the race distance set to one lap. Once I changed that everything started to work. BTW I was at the new Highlands Long. I had "0" Practice, 15 min Qualifying and 1 Lap race distance. Once I changed race distance to 2 laps everything worked fine. May be a coincidence but worth a try.
I managed to create one at midnight, tried various settings and minimal laps etcs. When you leave the the room and no one is in it, the lobby will to my knowledge exist for as long as you have set the session, I.e 10 minutes practice+10 minutes qualify+5 laps= 10 minutes.

I tested this out and it seams to be the case, and this is where the problem seams to lay. People are creating lobbies and leaving them ( possibly with crazy amount of time set) and there's no more room to create new rooms on Kunos system. They need to look into this asap and find a solution, maybe let us join an empty room and change all the settings or something, or they disappear after 5 minutes of being empty.

Well, you guys keep saying you want the console version to be more inline with the PC version.....there ya go! Those things are all exactly the same on the PC. :lol:

FWIW reverse grids and forced pitstops were just recently added to the PC version so hopefully they will trickle down at some point.

**BUT** most of those things we could do in GT6 on a PS3!!!!!!! A 10 year old machine!!!

What ever happened to technology making advances and giving us more bang for our buck? :-(

I posted this in the update thread... but makes more sense here...

Plenty of open lobbies last night... unfortunately, most with 60 min practice sessions and 90 minute qualifying... for a 5 lap race... or 'cruzin' at Highlands Long :lol:

At this stage I'm not personally finding private lobbies to be useful. Previously, I could just jump from GT3 room to GT3 room and have back to back races. Harder to find anything worth racing in now, and a lot harder to get multiple races in over a couple of hours.

GT5P -> GT5 was the same for me, and even now, GT5P is the best on line racing experience I've had. So easy to just jump on line and find a race with a full grid.

Biggest con for me is that the MP is full chaos, like sttoty says, there are almost no races that start before the time the voyager 1 reaches another star system.

There's no information how high tyre/fuel depletion is in a room.. Just did an online race where Corvette C7R used ~6l a lap at Nurburgring Gp and surprisingly only one person finished that race.. Ridiculous.

Biggest con for me.

It's not working. The lobby system seems to be massively flawed. Can't create a lobby, please try again later. I hate that message.

And here is the edited up to date list

* There needs to be a better way to enter what the room description is or as GT6 does once you pass your curser over the room see what the rules/cars are
* Can't force pitstop
* NO race replay
* Can't have Nordschleife Tourist track
* Can't select your livery or number
* Lobbies appear to region locked (see expanded explanation at bottom)
* A lot of people reporting they cannot create custom lobbies.
* Lag has been an issue (see above about Ping)
* All rules are not displayed so prospective competitors know what they are dealing with (Fuel/Tyre wear)

* We can run all tracks ( except Nordschleife Tourist track) and all cars with friends or with strangers
* Very stable
**NOTE** I have moved the comment about lag to the cons. It is an issue

--------------------------------------------------------
* Lobbies appear to region locked. I created a Public lobby at Highlands Long tonight and had it password protected. My friends from the other side of the country could not see/find it to join. When we compared available lobbies for that track they had 6 showing and I had 13. I had to recreate the lobby as Private and send invites.

Perhaps not region locked but there must be different servers that don't see each other. Anyway it appears to be a problem.

As we see the list of Cons is starting to get quite long It will be interesting to see if Kunos will address these issues or not. As GT sport and PCARS2 nears I feel this game will be passed over very shortly for far superior online performances. We will see ;-)

Sounds absolutely bloody awful, & several of those issues are game breakers for me personally. This is not inclining me to pay for MP access.

How I miss the never ending fun of the GT5 Shuffle/Spec days. That experience kicks the crap out of anything AC or P CARS has to offer.

And here is the edited up to date list

* Can't force pitstop
* NO race replay
* Can't have Nordschleife Tourist track
* Can't select your livery or number
* Lobbies appear to region locked (see expanded explanation at bottom)
* A lot of people reporting they cannot create custom lobbies.
* Lag has been an issue (see above about Ping)
* All rules are not displayed so prospective competitors know what they are dealing with (Fuel/Tyre wear)

* We can run all tracks ( except Nordschleife Tourist track) and all cars with friends or with strangers
* Very stable
**NOTE** I have moved the comment about lag to the cons. It is an issue

--------------------------------------------------------
* Lobbies appear to region locked. I created a Public lobby at Highlands Long tonight and had it password protected. My friends from the other side of the country could not see/find it to join. When we compared available lobbies for that track they had 6 showing and I had 13. I had to recreate the lobby as Private and send invites.

Perhaps not region locked but there must be different servers that don't see each other. Anyway it appears to be a problem.

As we see the list of Cons is starting to get quite long It will be interesting to see if Kunos will address these issues or not. As GT sport and PCARS2 nears I feel this game will be passed over very shortly for far superior online performances. We will see ;-)

Hi, yes, seems that the server are regional.

When you exit a lobby it doesn't erase himself from the list until 10 minutes later (can be tweaked by kunos)

They are aware of the missing drif track and nordschleife tourist.

About tyre wear... For the moment they only are working at 100% server-side, will be fixed in next update..

I let some posts here where devs replied.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ill-not-in-lobbies-practice-what-gives.45363/

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/nordschliefe-tourist-miss.45277/

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-drift-track-not-available.45294/#post-880785

My comment still stands. PCars 2 will be around before this is ever sorted out the way most people want it to be.

Y
  • Lobby creation needs an "allow" setting for each assist so players can decide for themselves. More flexibility and a little more freedom when it doesn't need to be very strict..
As you may know this was my issue but yo can indeed do this. If you set the room to allow Stability control, then anyone who wants to use it just has to set their preferences in an offline mode. If they have it set to 50% then it will be 50% online too if SC is allowed. If yours is off then it will be off online too. Thankfully.

Had high hopes that when a room doesn't have qualify set, races would actually start when practice timer hits zero, but nope.. Nordschleife is still stuck after 25mins of waiting.

Had high hopes that when a room doesn't have qualify set, races would actually start when practice timer hits zero, but nope.. Nordschleife is still stuck after 25mins of waiting.
I may be assuming here but there is a setting in the lobby that says something like qualify percentage. I believe that determines when a race starts after qualify etc. So try it without qualify set, and if that has no effect try it with qualify set to the lowest time you can and see if what happens. I could just be talking nonsense.

Cons from my POV is the lack of control over lobby, I can accept that you have to create a fresh lobby to change settings like track, car, etc. But if I've set up the race I want to be able to control restarts, skip, kick etc. Not have to hope that the majority of others agree!

Also I find it frustrating that you cannot select your livery to race with. I like to have identity of myself and others on track, without the ugly name tag floating above the car!

There appears to be a bug or difference in track temperatures between offline game modes and the online lobbies. Today I joined a room in which I immediately checked the session view for info on track grip and temperatures. Here's the weird thing, air temperature was 22 celcius but track temperature was 52 celcius. I don't think such a big difference in temperatures between air and track is possible in the offline game modes, not even with clear skies and early afternoon sun. Setting similar weather conditions offline, I usually get something like a track temperature at 31 celcius.

As you may know this was my issue but yo can indeed do this. If you set the room to allow Stability control, then anyone who wants to use it just has to set their preferences in an offline mode. If they have it set to 50% then it will be 50% online too if SC is allowed. If yours is off then it will be off online too. Thankfully.

Ok, how can you tell? I just checked it myself and I couldn't find the stability control percentage in the lobbies. I always run with stability control at 0% though.

What you're describing is only a workaround though. I still think players should be able to control all assists. I'm pretty sure it's possible to toggle on/off auto-shifting and auto blip, so it doesn't make sense it's not possible to change stability control and auto clutch.

Last edited:
There appears to be a bug or difference in track temperatures between offline game modes and the online lobbies. Today I joined a room in which I immediately checked the session view for info on track grip and temperatures. Here's the weird thing, air temperature was 22 celcius but track temperature was 52 celcius. I don't think such a big difference in temperatures between air and track are possible in the offline game modes, not even with clear skies and early afternoon sun. Setting similar weather conditions offline, I usually get something like a track temperature at 31 celcius.

Ok, how can you tell? I just checked it myself and I couldn't find the stability control percentage in the lobbies. I always run with stability control at 0% though.

What you're describing is only a workaround though. I still think players should be able to control all assists. I'm pretty sure it's possible to toggle on/off auto-shifting and auto blip, so it doesn't make sense it's not possible to change stability control and auto clutch.

It plays havoc with the tyre temperatures as well, having to put the pressures up to avoid overheating the tyres which also then reduces the car's grip... a bit annoying if you've spent even a little time tweaking the car offline for that track.

You guys wanted custom lobbies, and now that you have them, you still complain. I simply don't get it.

It's quite simple. People are providing feedback on stuff that can be improved and things not working properly. This is common practice when major features get rolled out.

There appears to be a bug or difference in track temperatures between offline game modes and the online lobbies. Today I joined a room in which I immediately checked the session view for info on track grip and temperatures. Here's the weird thing, air temperature was 22 celcius but track temperature was 52 celcius. I don't think such a big difference in temperatures between air and track is possible in the offline game modes, not even with clear skies and early afternoon sun. Setting similar weather conditions offline, I usually get something like a track temperature at 31 celcius.

You wont find the stability Control percentage in the lobbies. You can allow it or not, if someone has there's set to 50% ( or whatever) in an offline mode then that's what it will be online, I've tested it and it definitely works.

You wont find the stability Control percentage in the lobbies. You can allow it or not, if someone has there's set to 50% ( or whatever) in an offline mode then that's what it will be online, I've tested it and it definitely works.

How did you test it? Just by driving, or is there a simpler way to tell?

Back