[PS4][Event] 2018 Rally of Paleto - Event finished! Pictures post #87!

Should the event be postponed in order for more people to make it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks.

I had noticed a few changes and managed to actually get weather to work in stunt races since the update landed but hadn't noticed that line.

I'd love to think that "other highly requested features" also includes lamp post removal but I won't get too excited at that prospect as it will surely lead to disappointment.

Car wise for the event, can I have a Sentinel Classic please?

Sadly due to the time difference and my current hectic schedule I can't commit to anything. If an event just happens to be active and I'm free I can join but. I'll just have to see what happens!

due to the time difference and my current hectic schedule I can't commit to anything.

To be fair, that's the second time now you've had to say that, so if anyone here's excused, it's you 👍

I'll keep you in the back of my mind, just in case.

For future reference, a good tool for determining date and time for an event is this site: https://www.when2meet.com/

You list all the possible dates and times and then participants can fill in when they’re available. I think it’s easier to use than a regular poll, especially when you have a lot of options.

I voted to postpone it until after the dripfeed. That way we'll have the Michelli and Cheburek to choose as well. 👍

@rallymorten - My work has now put me on quite a few Saturday afternoon shifts (in my timezone anyways). Very high chance I will not be able to make it. You can pull me from the list, unfortunately :(

I didn't vote but that's because the poll ended before I checked GTP. No solid plans have been made between my friends and I for tomorrow night so I'm still not sure if I can make it or not. As far as I know, I should be able to make either of the other two dates, but I can't guarantee anything.

Well, votes are heavily in favor of postponing it anyway, so I'm going to Executive Order it and say I'm moving it to June 9, for reasons of dripfeed and maximum time to cross that date out of your schedule.

So I figured it was only right to give everyone a fair warning: we *will* have to change date yet again. There's a certain event in this neck of the woods on the weekend of June 9 that may or may not involve a few items from the Smugglers Run update, and I'm not going to miss that if I can do anything about it.

Again, we have three options on the table:
  1. May 26, which may or may not have the remaining dripfeed cars
  2. June 23, at which point we may be waiting for a new set of dripfeeds
  3. Call it a day, realise that this was always going to fail (because me) and go about our individual business until someone else tries to get something ambitious started
Given the current numbers and general interest levels.. yeah..

@SSSmokeVex57
@JR98
@Nuschel01
@JeepXJFreak
@doubleg213
@Sage Ages
@Marcus Garvey
@Katiegan

I am still interested man. I know you've put a lot of work into it, and I would hate to see it all go to waste. Trust me, I know how that feels.

Have you thought about posting this on GTAforums? That may possibly generate some new interest.

Alright then, final executive decision: June 23rd.

Take it or leave it.

As for the whole put-it-on-GTAF-for-more-exposure thing, this was intended as a GTPL-crew-gets-together-and-does-stuff kind of event, but.. that's not really the case anymore, and frankly I can't be bothered to set up a GTAF only to never use it again.

If anyone wants to, however, be my guest. You shall be given a special 10-second head start.

Last edited:
My greatest concern really with crossposting stuff to GTAF would simply be making that community any more aware of our existence. It is a very different community with very different standards of operation and conduct. It's a different place, there. That is also the reason that despite folks pushing for me to publicise my old tours and shows there; I am far happier letting those events die rather than dealing with the GTAF community and all the entails. They have their own events, and their own atmosphere surrounding them.

That's all I have to say about that. :lol:

So here's a post I'm interested in for all the wrong reasons: how many are *still* up for this in about a week and a half?

I'll get the transport section between Paleto Bay and Raton Canyon covered by a Warp Checkpoint because that *is* quite the drive, but the rest shouldn't be so bad one can't handle it - Chiliad Mountain is not even a minute of driving up the road from Raton Canyon and vice versa; should be just enough for a quick breather.

Aaaaand tagging because notifications are difficult:

@SSSmokeVex57
@JR98
@Nuschel01
@JeepXJFreak
@doubleg213
@Sage Ages
@Marcus Garvey
@Katiegan

..as it turns out, the Warp checkpoints have a very limited range, to the point where the solution I've come up with is at least on par with a ginormous string of Warps. So that's interesting.

Hi @rallymorten I was pointed here by @doubleg213

I like the sound of what you have planned and would like to get involved. Not sure what car to go for if you'll have me but happy to pick something 'different' to make sure there is a varied pack on the night. :)

I like the sound of what you have planned and would like to get involved.

Pardon the very late reply, but consider yourself involved.

Also, to anyone looking to get a bit of familiarity with how this is going to work, this should be a working link to the first "race", and this should be a working link to the second. For anyone not running a car from the Sports class, I'd suggest getting familiar with the Transform checkpoints at the beginning.

As long as more than three people show up (do give me your PSN ID if I don't already have it - I'm going to open a lobby for reasons of organising and a tiny bit of pre-race RP), then yes, it's actually happening this Saturday, 7 PM CEST (I'm fairly certain that's what was agreed on?). Again, if we can not be 30 minutes late right off the bat, I'd expect this to take about an hour or so at most.

Also I might switch out of the Flash. Undecided if the Retinue I already have or getting a Michelli GT/Issi Classic rally car.

An Invite Only session has been set up. I'll send invites to everyone of you I have on my friends list being shown as online, go AFK for a few moments, come back and check up. If I'm not a friend of yours, make sure I am - name's the same as on here because I'm predictable like that.

Once that's all done, we'll quickly meet up at the fuel station in Paleto Pay, and then the Rally shall commence at the top of the hour.

If anyone has any last-minute questions, right here and now would be a good time to ask them.

@SSSmokeVex57
@JR98
@Nuschel01
@JeepXJFreak
@doubleg213
@Sage Ages
@Marcus Garvey
@Katiegan
@JuniorChubb

So I figured now is as good a chance as any to show some of the images I've got from my overfilled R* Editor. However, once again, I'm going to do the clever thing and do it all in a Spoiler. It should help preventing the page jumping up and down while they're being loaded.

A grand total of three cars made it to the event - @doubleg213 in the Sentinel Classic, @Nuschel01 in the GB200 and myself in the Omnis.

After some.. learning curves, shall we say? Pun very much intended, by the way - the rally got ready to start just in time for the night-time Paleto Bay Super Special, a spectator stage around Paleto Bay.

I opted to go first, seeing as "host advantage" and so the others knew what road to take, because apparently I'm bad at making these things obvious :lol:

Around the hairpin..

..and on to the gravel section!

Then, on my second lap, I had a bit of an accident.

Shaken a little, but not too badly. And yes, that sentence is a reference to something.

What followed was a significant transport section because Warp checkpoints are actually useless, but eventually we got ready to start SS2 - Raton Canyon.

The Omnis was flying right from the start..

..sometimes literally.

Despite the 15 second gap between cars, there were still instances where one could see the other.

Onto the second section of this monster stage.

This section takes you down along the river. Very picturesque.

Being the first "real" stage, there was only one speed - flat out.

..I see you there, you sneaky bugger.

Now just the final run along a narrow cliff to negotiate..

..I used these signs to indicate sections of a stage where falling off the road is particularly likely.

Not that I paid too much attention to them myself.

The FIA did not approve of these stages. Not enough grandstands.

Then I ran into a spot of bother.

Many seconds were lost to the GB200.

..and across the line for the first "real" stage. A few seconds were lost to the GB200, but after the Sentinel got into trouble early on, it was looking like a two-horse fight.

Stage 3 takes the cars around the Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness, starting in the tunnel.

Almost immediately, I encountered a brake problem.

Nothing to do but give it the beans and hope for the best.

Just this Stage to go before Service, after all.

Onto the tarmac section that ends this stage.

Will I have made some time on the GB200?

The answer: A definitive yes, as the GB200 had found themselves in a situation on the narrow gravel section.

Then, the teams headed back to Paleto Bay for Service. When we came back to start SS4..

*Insert this here*

The rain made the already slippery asphalt even.. slipperier? Yeah, that's a word.

..I will be honest, I had hoped we'd get to run at least one stage in the rain. Wish granted, I guess.

The gravel section didn't really help.

..no, really, it didn't help.

There was, however, some good news - the early splits indicated the GB200 losing time hand-over-fist in these tricky conditions. So I took all the chances I could, and by the end of the stage, I was ahead by 20 seconds.

Time for the final stage - the reverse run of the daunting Raton Canyon - this time the direction I also dubbed God's Rally Stage. And, fortunately, the weather was clearing.

So I braved to go flat out again, and try to put the GB200 under pressure.

Then I hit a small rock.

Had I but known that this loss of a handful of seconds was just the start of my problems..

Of course, I was now pushing hard to salvage what I could from this stage.

Then, just as I'd passed a billboard with one of my sponsors' logo on it..

..I rolled it..

..and before I knew..

..the GB200 had passed me on stage. That's bad news, because that's effectively 15 seconds lost there already.

With the car right-way-up again, I was on a mission.

If I finished the stage more than 5 seconds after the GB200 crossed the final timing beam, I'd be second. And nobody wants to be second.

So I channeled my inner Walter Rörhl.

..and maybe just a little Colin McRae as well..

Every millimeter of gravel was used in the hunt for the GB200..

And there it was - visual contact!

I could see that I was slowly catching..

..but would it be enough to hold on to the top spot?

That night, upon return to Paleto Bay, we got the results:

The Omnis had done it! By 0.4 of a second*, I had saved it and claimed victory in the 2018 Rally of Paleto - a bit too close for comfort, that one!

*Please note we haven't actually done timing on this, as. I guess with three people we just frankly couldn't be bothered. Besides, it really ended up more as a test session than anything else. I just figured this story made it so much better.

Sorry I still haven't gotten around to sorting out my pictures and videos yet.

It's not like I've even been all that productive either, just generally messing about and achieving zero.

I will get them sorted though. Cheers for hosting Morten, shame we didn't get more of a turn out as it had a lot of potential.

Back