PS4 GT7 costs $10 to upgrade to PS5 version?

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 14 comments

TonyJZX

(Banned)
Australia
Australia
I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

So what is to make of this?

This may have been posted in the main "PS4/5" cross gen thread.

Games will just get more and more expensive as time goes on. The base versions of current gen games are an extra $10 over the last gen versions, not surprised to see them charging for upgrades to make up the difference.

End of the day I dont care about $10 for a game that has a 5yr interval on a console that is already $599.

Another way of looking at it is that last gen gets a $10 discount!

I bet Sony thinks this is free revenue. Why not get that money while its available? They were going to make them cross gen on a slew of exclusives anyway.

If they can get away with it with minimal blowback then ok.

I bet Sony thinks this is free revenue. Why not get that money while its available?
Are we supposed to be praising Sony for charging $10 on top of next gen (which I guarantee Horizon: FW, the next God of War and GT7 will be, even on PS4) prices, when we have developers that are either offering next gen upgrades for free alongside their purchase (pretty much any Xbox first party title by this point) bake the price into the middle of the road version (Black Ops Cold War allowing for people to own both the last gen and next gen version of the game, download next gen when needed) or at least make an attempt to justify selling next gen versions at cost (Control's Ultimate Edition bundling the two expansions alongside allowing for higher graphical fidelity on next gen)
It's an absolute grift. And once more proves that when Sony has the lead, they'll actively give the middle finger towards consumers even when their competition are doing better ideas, simply because they are the top dog and believe that everyone else will fall in line.

It's an absolute grift. And once more proves that when Sony has the lead, they'll actively give the middle finger towards consumers even when their competition are doing better ideas, simply because they are the top dog and believe that everyone else will fall in line.
Generally the PS4 cross gen versions have been cheaper to buy than their equivalent PS5 versions, so really it's just realigning the prices. Why should a PS4 owner still get a free upgrade down the track?

I was actually more surprised (and happy) we get free upgrades at all!

Edit: It's not like this $10 doesn't apply on the competition either. With the Wreckfest upgrade from PS4/XBox One versions it already applies to both the PS5 and Series X/S versions but let's pretend it only happens to Sony titles shall we ;).

Last edited:
Sony for charging $10 on top of next gen (which I guarantee Horizon: FW, the next God of War and GT7 will be, even on PS4) prices
Well, Horizon isn't. PS4 version is $60, PS5 is $70. Or in the UK PS4 is £60, PS5 is £70.

That could change for other games, but I doubt it. That's what they're basing this $10 upgrade cost on, obviously.

I do give Sony a bit of credit for actually making good on their word for Horizon Zero Scruples.

But going forward, you cant expect them to give you a break on games there werent stupid enough to promise this on.

Buy used PS4 copy for $20... upgrade for $10 = PS5 game at release for $30.
How are you expecting to find the game at $20 when it releases? Pretty sure used copies don’t lose value that quickly

How are you expecting to find the game at $20 when it releases? Pretty sure used copies don’t lose value that quickly
There is always someone who is massively disappointed and would give it away for (almost) free... but yeah, maybe it needs a few months. Assuming PS4 releases earlier than PS5 version which of course is BS as of now.

Going by this last three generations.... GT tanks pretty damn quickly.

My own experiences... GT5 collectors I got it off a friend for like usd$25 who was hugely dissappointed he spend $100+ on it.

GT6 was like usd$50, with a bundled GT6 blue ds3 controller.

GTS was like seriously $25 like around Xmas 2017. From my experience GT becomes a Sony classic pretty damn quick. YMMV.

I might be daft but I fail to see the problem??
You can buy a PS4 version or a ps5 version of the game from start with a price difference if 10$.
If you buy the PS4 10$ cheaper and later upgrade your console you can upgrade your game for 10$.
What's the problem with that?? They could just as well have made you buy a ps5 version at full price?

Back