PS4 Overall Volume (Still) Too LowPS4 

• Thread starter Gr8_Lakes
  • 331 comments
United States
Saginaw, MI
Gr8_Lakes
@IanBell , @The_American . After discussing this with several online players, I'm convinced this is a problem. The overall volume is just too low, and has to be maxed out on headphones. Even when maxed, PS4 headphone users desire the ability to raise the volume more. Some PS4 users have also expressed a lack of volume providing input to their Buttkickers, so they're not getting the proper "kick" from those. This is an official request to have the overall game volume increased on the PS4 platform. If anyone can contribute their specific experiences, that would be great. (This is not a thread to tell us about your um-teen thousand watt surround sound system that's serving you just fine). Thank you.

I was in a lobby with a friend on the weekend who said his buttkicker was basically tickling him, that's about it :lol:

The sounds are way off though. Something is not right.

Even the different between game volume and chat volume in online lobbies is waaay off. If I don't have my headphones plugged in, I can have my TV on 1, barely hear the game, but it sounds like people in chat are yelling and screaming at me. Add in there's no "mute all" feature, if gets really annoying in online lobbies.

Also, @Gr8_Lakes, see me in your lobby last night? The Group 5 Porsche. Would have been great to join you, but I couldn't stay connected to the lobby :(

Bingo... there is nothing in the mix below 120Hz regardless of where the mix is coming from spatially. For example if the sound is coming from satellite rears that are unable to extend below 120hz then the crossover set at 120hz or 80hz or whatever you set your specific crossover at should route that frequency to the sub.

The issue is there is nothing to route below 120hz or there abouts... so there are simply no bass frequencies to amplify for a tactile transducer or subwoofer. This is my experience on PS4. I wonder if PC users have the same issue or completely different mix altogether.

I have nothing to share with mic, headphone, or butt kicker volume just general volume within the game solely coming from my Vizio TV.

I really enjoy the menu music, to hear it at a decent level it needs to be turned up to 35.
In race I have to turn it down to 15, races are very loud.
All in game sound settings are set to 100.

The countdown lights thingy to start the race, the buzzer volume is much too low IMO. And I have that set to 100. The sound comes through very soft on the TV which wasn't a problem before on PCars1. I think it also comes across soft in headphone also. I have to keep my eyes peeled to the screen because it's very difficult to hear the starter buzz, if I hear it at all.

@IanBell , @The_American . After discussing this with several online players, I'm convinced this is a problem. The overall volume is just too low, and has to be maxed out on headphones. Even when maxed, PS4 headphone users desire the ability to raise the volume more. Some PS4 users have also expressed a lack of volume providing input to their Buttkickers, so they're not getting the proper "kick" from those. This is an official request to have the overall game volume increased on the PS4 platform. If anyone can contribute their specific experiences, that would be great. (This is not a thread to tell us about your um-teen thousand watt surround sound system that's serving you just fine). Thank you.

I USE TO HAVE the same issue until I played with below settings. Could the volume still be louder, yes, but this has improved the game for me. I can now hear my engine and when to shift. Give it a try, what have you got to lose? Good luck. The adjustment has to be made in party setting.

go to party > create a room > party settings > adjust audio mix > slide to the left, non-party audio.

I made a thread about this yesterday also and here’s what I said;

As it's been mentioned a lot in other threads what are everyones experiences with the sound on Project Cars 2?

I was hopeful 2.0 would solve the issues I was having but they have not.

My issues with the audio are as follows;

• Low output in general. Yamaha AV Receiver is up to -26dB when every other game is -36dB. Project Cars 1 was on the loud side and would be at -40dB for me.
  • Boosting up the volume means when you get into a MP lobby everyones mic is too loud and not balanced correctly. Sound like it can possibly break the speakers. Makes me not want to MP due to having to mute everyone...which is a pain in the rear with a G29 wheel given there is no right stick.
  • No presence and bass to the sound. Everything is very flat.
  • Rear engined and a lesser extent mid engined cars on a 5.1 setup sound like the engine sound is pushed hard to the surround speakers. On most setups, surround speakers are generally smaller and sound is emboldened by the sub or front floor standers.
  • Some of the LMP cars are just silent. You can hear the road and wind noise more than the car itself. Give the community event a go at the fuji speedway to see what I mean.
  • General mix of audio is all off. 2.0 seems to have changed it a little bit but it's still not right.
I'm sure I'll add to this some more but for me these are the glaring issues. I'm playing in cockpit view. I go back to other racing games after convincingmyself PC2 is ok and it's just still not there by comparison.

I brought this up with the mods on the official forums and hoped for a fix. Perhaps, one day, it might happen.

In the mean time do what I have done- play games that have 'proper' audio. Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 1.

Don't waste your time with this rubbish game.

Yeah, the sound is way too low...i feel they did a good job with the cars sounds but struggling to hear it...very disappointing...i keep everything the same, put in PC1 and A.C. and immediately have to turn the volume down on the headphones...needs to fixed with the clutch also...i need PC2 step it up cause I'm just not ready for GT sports just yet

Totally agree, the sound is broken! It's not for me to speculate how to sort it, I paid good money for this to be a usable product, so please fix it. By the by , I playing the other game by a well known producer which is not broken????

I bought a. DTS headphone X headset this week... With this thing the sounds in pcars2 are incredible.. the engines come to life. And also way loud even at 50%! One thing I noticed was I had to put DTS in music mode instead of game mode.

I bought a. DTS headphone X headset this week... With this thing the sounds in pcars2 are incredible.. the engines come to life. And also way loud even at 50%! One thing I noticed was I had to put DTS in music mode instead of game mode.
While I'm happy you've found a solution that works for you, I simply find it unacceptable that everyone should have to go purchase a DTS headphone set to enjoy one game. Especially since I have three headsets already, and they all work perfectly with every other game I own, including PCars 1. Something in PCars 2 is outside the normal range when it comes to overall volume. Congratulations on your new headphone set. :sly:=👍

While I'm happy you've found a solution that works for you, I simply find it unacceptable that everyone should have to go purchase a DTS headphone set to enjoy one game. Especially since I have three headsets already, and they all work perfectly with every other game I own, including PCars 1. Something in PCars 2 is outside the normal range when it comes to overall volume. Congratulations on your new headphone set. :sly:=👍

Ahah thanks I agree with you that it should be tuned for the majority of sound systems of course. I just felt like bragging a little :) ... Also promote the technology which is pretty amazing at least for someone like me who never owned anything else than regular stereo headphones.

Would that be because it would be forcing it into stereo?

I tried to use the stereo function in the games menu and it still didn’t sound right.

So... I found a significant discount on Buttkicker Gamer 2 sets. If the volume isn't good enough to drive a Buttkicker Gamer 2, you'll all know. Anyone interested in a short term discount, pm me - Serious Inquiries only. Man, I hope the volume on PCars 2 is up to the task.

First the audio - I find it far too quite on PC2 - the sound from my PS4 goes via an optical cable into a 5.1 surround sound system - for normal play at fairly quiet levels (i.e. when the wife and kids are in the house) I ran PC1 at level 10, but even at level 20 PC2 is quieter. PC1 had a great sound and it was easy to imagine I was in a racing car as sounds were happening all around me - by comparison PC2 feels dead, lifeless, unrealistic and uninvolving. In short a massive disappointment and a waste of a presumably good sound track.

Come on @IanBell and SMS - there is obviously something seriously wrong here. Nothing has changed with my audio setup so it is definitely a problem with PC2.

Next the tactile effects - PC1 was rightly rated number 1 - the class leader when it came to tactile effects. For those unfamiliar with tactile effects - these are vibration effects transmitted through the body by tactile transducers (most commonly bass shakers like the Aura AST2B Pro4 and its many clones or the Buttkicker family of products which use a different principle - a piston which shuttles up and down in a vertical tube to create the same effect). For someone who has never tried tactile transducers the effect is that of sound which is felt rather than heard - such as you get from standing close to a bass speaker at a loud rock concert or trackside near a top fuel dragster - the sound is felt inside your body just as much as it is heard and the ultra low frequencies are not heard at all, but just felt. I have been experimenting with and enjoying tactile with racing games since being introduced to them by other GT Planet members from early GT5 days onwards.

Project Cars 1 felt outstanding thanks to my Buttkicker Advance transducer - I felt every kerb strike, every gear change produced a thump in my back, 4 cylinder cars produced a realistic tingling engine vibration while V8's produced a deep vibration which could be felt in the gut - just like when I stand next to the startline at Santa Pod dragstrip. Obviously I was really looking forward to Project Cars 2 - but what's this? No tactile effects whatsoever! - nothing at all! - nada! I had made no changes to my system other than maxing out my tactile transducer amplifier.

Knowing that the big Buttkicker Advance contains a large heavy piston and therefore needs a strong signal and a powerful amp I tried connecting up a couple of my bass shakers (Aura AST2B Pro4's) - they only require a small signal and a relatively weak amp (50W RMS), but again nothing! - zilch!

I got a friend to try touching the bass shakers while I was driving a series of cars which in PC1 had the strongest tactile engine effect (Corvette C7R, Cadillac CTS, Sauber C9 etc.), but again nothing - he could just feel a very faint tickle - this was despite using an excellent amplifier more than capable of driving the shakers at maximum.

Again - come on @IanBell @The_American and SMS - please fix the soundtrack so that we can 1. hear it and 2. feel it (if we have tactile transducers). After having got used to these excellent devices and how they worked with the class leading effects in Project Cars 1 it is a crushing disappointment to have a barely audible game with no tactile effects.

I suggest that if SMS want to retain the current default audio values in the game they introduce an option to raise everything to say 150. On GT6 the default levels were set at 90, but there was an option to increase to 120. The effects were nowhere near as good as in PC1, but raising to 120 enabled them to be felt.

It would also be helpful for tactile users if SMS gave the option of choosing the microphone position - where this is an option I try them all and select the one which works best with my tactile transducers - this is normally the chase cam microphone or the bonnet microphone and rarely the in car microphone (I use cockpit view for driving).

I love the game, but my enjoyment is currently severely restricted by the very quiet audio and my inability to access the tactile effects in the game.

First the audio - I find it far too quite on PC2 - the sound from my PS4 goes via an optical cable into a 5.1 surround sound system - for normal play at fairly quiet levels (i.e. when the wife and kids are in the house) I ran PC1 at level 10, but even at level 20 PC2 is quieter. PC1 had a great sound and it was easy to imagine I was in a racing car as sounds were happening all around me - by comparison PC2 feels dead, lifeless, unrealistic and uninvolving. In short a massive disappointment and a waste of a presumably good sound track.

Come on @IanBell and SMS - there is obviously something seriously wrong here. Nothing has changed with my audio setup so it is definitely a problem with PC2.

Next the tactile effects - PC1 was rightly rated number 1 - the class leader when it came to tactile effects. For those unfamiliar with tactile effects - these are vibration effects transmitted through the body by tactile transducers (most commonly bass shakers like the Aura AST2B Pro4 and its many clones or the Buttkicker family of products which use a different principle - a piston which shuttles up and down in a vertical tube to create the same effect). For someone who has never tried tactile transducers the effect is that of sound which is felt rather than heard - such as you get from standing close to a bass speaker at a loud rock concert or trackside near a top fuel dragster - the sound is felt inside your body just as much as it is heard and the ultra low frequencies are not heard at all, but just felt. I have been experimenting with and enjoying tactile with racing games since being introduced to them by other GT Planet members from early GT5 days onwards.

Project Cars 1 felt outstanding thanks to my Buttkicker Advance transducer - I felt every kerb strike, every gear change produced a thump in my back, 4 cylinder cars produced a realistic tingling engine vibration while V8's produced a deep vibration which could be felt in the gut - just like when I stand next to the startline at Santa Pod dragstrip. Obviously I was really looking forward to Project Cars 2 - but what's this? No tactile effects whatsoever! - nothing at all! - nada! I had made no changes to my system other than maxing out my tactile transducer amplifier.

Knowing that the big Buttkicker Advance contains a large heavy piston and therefore needs a strong signal and a powerful amp I tried connecting up a couple of my bass shakers (Aura AST2B Pro4's) - they only require a small signal and a relatively weak amp (50W RMS), but again nothing! - zilch!

I got a friend to try touching the bass shakers while I was driving a series of cars which in PC1 had the strongest tactile engine effect (Corvette C7R, Cadillac CTS, Sauber C9 etc.), but again nothing - he could just feel a very faint tickle - this was despite using an excellent amplifier more than capable of driving the shakers at maximum.

Again - come on @IanBell @The_American and SMS - please fix the soundtrack so that we can 1. hear it and 2. feel it (if we have tactile transducers). After having got used to these excellent devices and how they worked with the class leading effects in Project Cars 1 it is a crushing disappointment to have a barely audible game with no tactile effects.

I suggest that if SMS want to retain the current default audio values in the game they introduce an option to raise everything to say 150. On GT6 the default levels were set at 90, but there was an option to increase to 120. The effects were nowhere near as good as in PC1, but raising to 120 enabled them to be felt.

It would also be helpful for tactile users if SMS gave the option of choosing the microphone position - where this is an option I try them all and select the one which works best with my tactile transducers - this is normally the chase cam microphone or the bonnet microphone and rarely the in car microphone (I use cockpit view for driving).

I love the game, but my enjoyment is currently severely restricted by the very quiet audio and my inability to access the tactile effects in the game.
Well this is a bummer considering I just ordered a Buttkicker. Almost as disappointing as the complete lack of response concerning this issue.

You're right this volume thing is way off! I love the game everything so cool in the cars sound great until someone else starts to talk. It's so sad that I can't talk to my friends and hear my car at the same time. Sure hope they get that fixed soon.

I agree, the 69 camaro should have the capability of shaking your fillings loose. (I used to own one in real life)
and with open headers......holy crap,!!!!

After commenting earlier about the sound being too low, I revisited the audio settings.
Turning down various things to 60, such as opponent, your engine, and tire volumes while leaving environment and pit to car turned up is exceedingly pleasant.
It seriously has changed the experience for me by leveling noises out.
Just putting that out there.

XXI
After commenting earlier about the sound being too low, I revisited the audio settings.
Turning down various things to 60, such as opponent, your engine, and tire volumes while leaving environment and pit to car turned up is exceedingly pleasant.
It seriously has changed the experience for me by leveling noises out.
Just putting that out there.
I think a lot of us were complaining about not being able to hear our engine...

Back