PS4 Pro vs. PS4PS4 

• Thread starter BSKemp29
  • 70 comments
United States
United States
laXXer1122
Currently I own an original PS4 with a standard 1080p tv, and was considering upgrading to a PS4 Pro and 4K tv. Is the increase in performance and visuals truly worth the money for this game? I’ve seen some screenshots and videos (albeit not properly displayed in 4K) from the PS4 Pro version, and the screenshots looked incredible.

I’ve searched a bit on here and couldn’t find a clear cut answer, so I apologize if there’s already a similar thread. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! :cheers:

YES! I was shocked after getting a pro, especially from pCARS2. It was kind of a jaggy mess on the standard IMO, it's really smooth on the pro.

I don't know if I'd consider it worth it for one game, but if you're thinking of upgrading already, go for it. GT Sport also looks amazing, the added AA solutions make is so damn smooth.

Not sure you'd be satisfied with the result compared to the amount of money you'll throw at this.

If you are buying a 4k TV and a PS4Pro just for one game, I'd say it's not worth it. If you are buying a 4k TV anyway, then getting a pro would make a bit more sense.
I have had a 4k tv quite a while ago and still haven't justified throwing more money for a new console just for a bit better graphics. If this console survives for the next two years, I'll probably just switch to PS5 when it comes out.

yas
Not sure you'd be satisfied with the result compared to the amount of money you'll throw at this.

If you are buying a 4k TV and a PS4Pro just for one game, I'd say it's not worth it. If you are buying a 4k TV anyway, then getting a pro would make a bit more sense.
I have had a 4k tv quite a while ago and still haven't justified throwing more money for a new console just for a bit better graphics. If this console survives for the next two years, I'll probably just switch to PS5 when it comes out.

I got the 4K tv during black Friday sales last year and couldn't justify upgrading the console either, but my base ps4 was on it's last legs and Gamestop ran a great trade in deal towards a Pro.

I probably would have waited otherwise. I am happy I made the switch though, the games look and play great.

I was going to write on this very topic. I recently picked up the 65" TCL R617 4K HDR TV and Xbox X. Side note, anyone looking for an incredible TV for an incredible price look no further.

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison but from what I heard the Pro and X are pretty comparable. That being said in my opinion the upgrade was transformative. It's a completely different game. Never mind the visual and performance upgrade the FFB is night and day. The wheel is tight through out with zero cut out. There's about a 25% increase in the details I'm now feeling through the wheel. I have more control over the cars because of it. Overall I am floored by how much better the overall experience is.

That's just my opinion. Like others have said, does it justify spending all that money for one game? It really depends on the individual. If your in love with this title and are playing it all the time with money to spare then yes, you will not be disappointed.

I've been making video and music for 20 years, the quality of both is very important to me if I'm watching a movie, listening to music or playing a game.
The PC is undoubtedly the best visual and audio available (no console can beat pro sound cards and speakers worth over $2500 or any high end nvidia or amd card)
The best upgrade I ever made for my console gaming was a high quality upscaling TV. In my case an original Sony 4k model.
After that the Pro is definitely worth the extra even for just one game. My belief is that if you can tell the difference then pay for it, if someone else tells you it's better but you can't see it yourself then don't.
AN SSD is also essential for both PC and PS4. I have 5 inside the PC and 1 in the PS4.
Frame rate is more important than resolution. Give me a smooth 1080p image rather than jittery 4k any day (BECAUSE the TV upscales it anyway!)
I was gonna sell the old PS4 but I found it useful to put in the 'kids area'. No chance of my main PC or PS4 getting lemonade damage now!

One of the huge advantages to going 4K and a Pro is being able to sit MUCH closer to the screen without any loss of resolution compared to viewing 1080p further back (sit close enough to a 1080p screen, you definitely start to see the pixelization).

55" and bigger 4K TV's are pretty cheap these days (got my 55" Hisence for $350 new), and if you sit your rig as close as possible, you get to set an accurate field of view (FoV) and still get to see a fair amount of windshield and mirrors in cockpit view. But the resolution is great enough that you don't see any immersion breaking pixelization, and the framerate from the Pro is decent enough that framerate drops are seldom an issue (but you are going to get them compared to a much more expensive PC system, of course).

I'm a happy camper with my Pro. I think I'll be sticking with this system until Hive and Oculus systems start dropping down to more affordable levels. I have a PSVR, and while GTSport isn't much of an accurate driving sim, its PSVR mode looks gorgeous, and gives you a real sense of being in the car. That's the future of racing gaming, but it's a few years away before it's as affordable as a console...

PC2 + 4K TV with HDR + Enhanced Resolution Mode = Bliss!
I sit around 1 - 1.5m away from a 65" TV with my steering wheel set up, and the game looks amazing. With all the patches over the last 6 months, framerate seems quite constant, with no major dips experienced.

I load up a car on a classic track (e.g. Monza classic), and just circle the camera around the car at the start while in the pits just to look at all the details - check out the Enzo for example, Awesome!

I loaded up DirT 4 on the weekend, and the graphics are a couple of steps below. Loaded up F1-2017, and the screen tearing is awful, and the lighting and tracks look so dull compared to PC2. I really don't know why people keep bashing on PC2, it is far superior than most of what's out there!

PC2 + 4K TV with HDR + Enhanced Resolution Mode = Bliss!
I sit around 1 - 1.5m away from a 65" TV with my steering wheel set up, and the game looks amazing. With all the patches over the last 6 months, framerate seems quite constant, with no major dips experienced.

I load up a car on a classic track (e.g. Monza classic), and just circle the camera around the car at the start while in the pits just to look at all the details - check out the Enzo for example, Awesome!

I loaded up DirT 4 on the weekend, and the graphics are a couple of steps below. Loaded up F1-2017, and the screen tearing is awful, and the lighting and tracks look so dull compared to PC2. I really don't know why people keep bashing on PC2, it is far superior than most of what's out there!

You mentioned 4K+HDR. I've read and heard that enabling HDR increases input lag. True? Not true?

^ Huh, I've been slightly jealous of HDR but had not considered that. It does appear to be an issue with at least some HDTV models, though it seems it's just a matter of HDR being unavailable in "Gaming Mode" (which still isn't good enough compared to a low-latency HD monitor or the golden standard of a CRT, in my experience).

I would not upgrade to 4K unless it had a decent HDR rating. The more pixels you get the more colours you need and without HDR the screen looks washed out. I know from experience.

FMW
You mentioned 4K+HDR. I've read and heard that enabling HDR increases input lag. True? Not true?
I notice this when the tv was set to hdr mode scrolling through the psn home screen was not very smooth not like when its running in game mode? I also don't get if the tv's in game mode but the game is running in hdr wtf happens are you getting hdr or not?

I would not upgrade to 4K unless it had a decent HDR rating. The more pixels you get the more colours you need and without HDR the screen looks washed out. I know from experience.

I believe this to one of those salesman 'truisms'. I've had Sony Trinitron TVs for over 30 years and not one has been washed out. Being a photographer I know what HDR is. Simply the method of combining multiple exposures at different EV values to provide an artificial result of the final scene, impossible to see with the naked eye or a camera using a single exposure. So in the first place we are dealing with MORE than what is natural. I have an early gen 4k Sony no HDR but great upscaling. The blacks are very good, and games have always looked fantastic, very nice color gamut. I KNOW for $2k more at the time I could have had HDR but chose not to because I know there will ALWAYS be 'better' picture technology surpassing the current gen. HDR to me is useful only on a crappy TV with poor colors as a way of polishing the ****. To me I like my photos looking like photos, my videos looking like videos, my TVs looking like (neutral tone) TV's and my real life reminding me always that it can never be replicated.
For a few more bucks sure get the HDR model you can always turn it off. It's a cool feature to have especially for washed out old movies with poor color transfers. But for games? I don't have the time to care that much, 75 inches in your hand (via remote) is worth any 'top' model always out of your price reach in the store...

@Sloppy Shades -- Modern displays are inherently desaturated compared to a CRT. I've gone back and forth between the two with the same image from the same source, and the difference is dramatic.

I always kind of interpreted HDR as something to help correct that difference.

@Sloppy Shades -- Modern displays are inherently desaturated compared to a CRT. I've gone back and forth between the two with the same image from the same source, and the difference is dramatic.

I always kind of interpreted HDR as something to help correct that difference.

If you are talking about flat screens in general and their mass explosion onto the market regardless of quality then yes they have generally been much inferior to CRT, as people saw convenience and the mass market cannot see or care about color/shade accuracy. That's not meant to be snobby but ANYONE who ever cared about picture quality must have walked into a friend's house (or family) at some time and seen the TV turned up full color and contrast (people are not orange!) with yucky skin tones. TV stores are to blame too. MORE color MORE contrast...it MUST be better!
(I bet the majority of those people will be sold HDR and boast about it but will STILL have blown out picture settings looking horrible!)
So yes, a cheap crappy flat screen with a cheap HDR implementation (or a good STOLEN one hello *****!) will look about the same as a cheap old CRT used to look.
Yes having the option of HDR is great, but you can get very close with a good reputable manufacturer and most importantly a GOOD PRO calibration.
Or at least copy the details from a site such as this:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/how-to-calibrate-your-tv
This great site has hundreds of TV's online and their best settings.

AS cheap as HDR 4K TV's are now, why would anyone NOT get one?

Sure, blow $2500 on a TOTL if you got the itch. But, trust me, a cheap Hisense sub-$400 55" looks GREAT compared to anything you have used before (in that rough size range).

I never trust random brands I've never heard of. Sure they're cheaper but how long will they last. My 720p Vizio from 2008 hasn't had a single problem.

I'm planning on finally upgrading it though and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a new TV before I splurge on a PS4 Pro. I have the PS4 Slim, so I assume 4K is lost on this and 1080p is the best resolution the console can output.

sloppy shades Im not quite getting a full understanding of what your saying but what i said is not from a technical point of view but simply my own eyesight.
I own a 4k tv and a 4k hdr tv and there is a noticeable difference, if you think im a shill then go ahead and purchase a 4k tv without hdr and enjoy it.

I have the PS4 Slim, so I assume 4K is lost on this and 1080p is the best resolution the console can output.
It does output in HDR though. Deeper blacks and a greater range of colours/tones are initially better than more pixels. And the TV will upscale the image anyway.

Being a photographer I know what HDR is
HDR is different for cameras and TVs though. As you say cameras/photos use multiple images to produce dramatic but somewhat unnatural images. Whereas TVs use the latest technology to increase colours and depths to produce more natural images. Not all hdr TVs are equal though! There's various modes and implementations. As is usual the more you pay generally the better you get. :boggled:

sloppy shades Im not quite getting a full understanding of what your saying but what i said is not from a technical point of view but simply my own eyesight.
I own a 4k tv and a 4k hdr tv and there is a noticeable difference, if you think im a shill then go ahead and purchase a 4k tv without hdr and enjoy it.

I AM enjoying all 3 of them without HDR very much thank you ! One is main TV and ps4 screen. The other 2 are my work pc monitors.

Being a photographer I know what HDR is. Simply the method of combining multiple exposures at different EV values to provide an artificial result of the final scene, impossible to see with the naked eye or a camera using a single exposure.
Photo HDR is for capture and TV HDR is for display. They are not really related at all.

Photo HDR is great for capturing a scene as we experienced it. I look down at the forest and I see bright green. I look to the sky and see bright blue and sunshine. I then take a standard picture and it fails to grab both of those elements at the same time. HDR allows you to combine multiple exposures and provide something closer to the experience of being there.

HDR for display is just about being more accurate. Darker darks, brighter and more vibrant colours. It works. It can of course be overblown when you leave a HDR TV in its showroom configuration but dig into the settings as you should with ANY TV and you can get it looking just as you want it.

Last edited:
I never trust random brands I've never heard of. Sure they're cheaper but how long will they last. My 720p Vizio from 2008 hasn't had a single problem.

I'm planning on finally upgrading it though and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a new TV before I splurge on a PS4 Pro. I have the PS4 Slim, so I assume 4K is lost on this and 1080p is the best resolution the console can output.

The problem of longevity is kinda moot when you look at how fast pixel density and framerates are evolving. Anyone honestly think that 4K HDR is going to be the gaming standard ten years from now? My guess is, it will be as outdated as a ten year old 720p is now. So placing an emphasis on longevity doesn't exactly pay off...

I'd rather pay $400 now for a decent 4K HDR, and if it goes tits up in five years, buy something else for $400 that conforms to whatever we have moved on to by then (5K? UHDR? 240Hz native refresh rate?). Better than blowing $2000 now on a state of the art 4K HDR, and it being no good with the PS6...

As picky as PC2 is with lower power consoles, I think I might go to a PS4Pro as my first purchase in your situation (it will pay off with better framerates and higher texture quality even on 1080P) and get an affordable 4K HDR TV next, and don't listen to the 'purists' who would have you wait until the standard is aging before you can afford what they'd recommend!

It must be nice to have the kind of income to spend $400 casually every few years. See I don't, so 720p is just fine and dandy

LOL. It comes with having a job...

I see you dropped a chunk of change on your G29 and shifter. Could have bought a wheel a LOT less expensive...

All I was referring to was the idea that a budget 4K HDR TV is a waste of money is false. Do the math. Spend $400 twice in ten years, or $1000 once in ten years. Guess who spent less? Guess who has the better spec monitor in ten years..?

I get what you're talking about. I'm just saying everyone has a different budget. Mine isn't what it used to be unfortunately.

Well, you were talking about going PS4Pro, so I figured there was at least SOME discretionary spending in your budget..!

I spent over a grand on a 1080P 47" 8 years ago. It went tits up at Christmas, just after I got a PS4Pro (LOL... great timing!). So I went and looked for a 4K TV, ultimately ended up with a 55" Hisense for under $400. That's kind of how things are progressing. Blowing a ton of money on a 'quality' TV rather than going for a budget one (there's a 49" Hisence 4K HDR at Walmart right now for $219!) isn't going to pay off...

By the time it wears out, you are two, maybe three generations behind in display technology and you spent just as much money.

Back