Ps4 pro

• Thread starter Janifourc3
  • 22 comments
Is the graphic pop-in improved with the Pro? And the draw rate of shadows? I’m sure someone’s done a comparison, I just haven’t bothered to look.

I’m also holding out hope that a Pro and a higher res tv will make me better(more consistent), as my optometrist said recently my “eyes are doing that thing that happens from being born in the 70s”. Thanks doc. Sometimes the braking marker I’ve picked is in the shadows a bit or small and I don’t always see it super clearly.

I would love to have a PS4 pro. I play on 1080P game mode on my PS4 due to the lag input when HDR on , this is very complicate to drive and match an apex or control an oversteer with such a lag in your wheel input.
Clearer vision and less lag are the keys to be a better driver for sure . After this you still need to practice a lot . Practice is not everything , only 99%.

I personally highly doubt that moving from a standard PS4 to a pro is going to improve anybody’s ability by any measurable degree. Really all the PS4 pro does is up the eyecandy and in certain instances increase the frame rate. As the frame rate for GTS on the standard PS4 is, from what I understand, already a pretty stable 60fps then there’s not much to gain there.

I don’t really see that 4K will bring much to the party apart from potentially slowing the frame rate and reducing draw distance - this is why that despite having a 4K monitor for my PS Pro I force output to 1080p. If you can’t see something at 1080p, then at 4K there’ll just be more pixels that you can’t see.

There are also things being talked about here that may not be directly related to the PS4 itself.

If you’re having trouble spotting things in the shadows then you can use the visual adjustments in GTS to improve that visibility. Also if you’re getting lag it may not be the PS4, but the processing your TV/monitor is doing (HDR for instance) before displaying a frame, so try switching the TV/monitor to “Game mode” if it has this as this should bypass most of that processing. Do not underestimate how much your TV or monitor can contribute to lag.

Even with the pro as I have one there are still places on the tracks where the stuttering is still reasonably present if you race against the AI .

I would love to have a PS4 pro. I play on 1080P game mode on my PS4 due to the lag input when HDR on , this is very complicate to drive and match an apex or control an oversteer with such a lag in your wheel input.
Clearer vision and less lag are the keys to be a better driver for sure . After this you still need to practice a lot . Practice is not everything , only 99%.

Lag with HDR? What kind of TV/monitor are you using? I haven't noticed lag at all on my LG. I'm running in 4K mode

Lag with HDR? What kind of TV/monitor are you using? I haven't noticed lag at all on my LG. I'm running in 4K mode
My TV is a Samsung 40KU600 . i'm playing a normal PS4 in 1920x1080 with game mode on . A higher resolution is of course possible but the lag is really sensible and mess with my driving clearly. Less precision and much more difficult to save a sudden oversteer for example.

II hav a pro running at 1080p with that thing turned on to make it run better. Don't know if it's just me seeing all the imperfections because I've been playing for ages now, but online pop ups and shadows and other stuff seems to be worse. The pop ups are just ridiculous.

My TV is a Samsung 40KU600 . i'm playing a normal PS4 in 1920x1080 with game mode on . A higher resolution is of course possible but the lag is really sensible and mess with my driving clearly. Less precision and much more difficult to save a sudden oversteer for example.

Hmm. Could be either the TV or the regular PS4.

I have the PS4 Running in full high resolution with HDR and an LG 65UH5500 and have no lag whatsoever. The LG also has a specific "game" mode to eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the lag.

I have to say though, I tried the 1080 modes as well. There isn't a whole lot of difference between 1080p optimized for quality and 4K. I think the PS4 pro simply has that little extra to remove frame rate issues in high res. 1080p optimized for frame rate looks good, but there is definitely a lot of jagged edges on that big TV.

Hmm. Could be either the TV or the regular PS4.

I have the PS4 Running in full high resolution with HDR and an LG 65UH5500 and have no lag whatsoever. The LG also has a specific "game" mode to eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the lag.

I have to say though, I tried the 1080 modes as well. There isn't a whole lot of difference between 1080p optimized for quality and 4K. I think the PS4 pro simply has that little extra to remove frame rate issues in high res. 1080p optimized for frame rate looks good, but there is definitely a lot of jagged edges on that big TV.
Do the test in cockpit view turning the wheel with fast inputs right left right left ...... Then you can see clearly the lag. In the higher resolution HDR you can see the late answer of the wheel to your input on your TV. This is not happening or at least a lot less in lower resolution.

Do the test in cockpit view turning the wheel with fast inputs right left right left ...... Then you can see clearly the lag. In the higher resolution HDR you can see the late answer of the wheel to your input on your TV. This is not happening or at least a lot less in lower resolution.

Oh, I've done it before when determining if I could run in 4k HDR or not. No lag for me.

Is it just me or looks the game better with HDR off?
Im using a PS4pro with a sony 4k tv. When i turn HDR on, my ps4 output is YUV422 but ingame it looks like a layer of fog is over the screen compared to HDR off. When HDR is off ps4 output switch to RGB and the colours are more intense also black areas are black not darkgray.

Last edited:
Im using a PS4pro with a sony 4k tv. When i turn HDR on, my ps4 output is YUV422 but ingame it looks like a layer of fog is over the screen compared to HDR off. When HDR is off ps4 output switch to RGB and the colours are more intense also black areas are black not darkgray.

If your TV doesn't have much brightness (nits), then HDR will look like crap because you won't have enough dynamic range. I have a Sony 930E, and the HDR is spectacular!

If your TV doesn't have much brightness (nits), then HDR will look like crap because you won't have enough dynamic range. I have a Sony 930E, and the HDR is spectacular!

I’ve done some shallow reading that emphatically confirms this. I’m not disparaging anyone’s TV here, but what I have read says that not all HDR is alike by a long shot.

I’d like to be double blind tested to see if I could see a difference amongst the possibilities. Double blind and two “see’s”. The universe seeks balance. As a hobby pixel peeper in photography I’m confident I could. That was always the chestnut when a sensor with more MP was released “oh you’ll never notice the difference in that unless you’re making posters the size of the moon”. Yet, differences have been noted and more detail resolved.

Last edited:
Try going into Options > Display Settings and use the Display Settings Assistant.
You may be able to tone down the brightness to something you prefer.

Try going into Options > Display Settings and use the Display Settings Assistant.
You may be able to tone down the brightness to something you prefer.
I played around with tv settings and actually found a good one for GTS with HDR, but when it switch back from YUV422 to RGB at PS home screen, it looked awefully oversatuated... i will stay with HDR off as my tv isnt able to show it properly. HDR isnt simply HDR i learned.

Last edited:

Higher resolution?

Standard PS4 will only do a maximum of 1920x1080.

Higher resolution?

Standard PS4 will only do a maximum of 1920x1080.
You're right , i don't understand very well this kind of things anyway , what i'm sure about is when i'm not in game mode , my wheel inputs are a lot slowers , showing a significative lag that mess with your performances on track. With or without HDR.

Back