PS4 (regular) Vs. XBox One S

• Thread starter raven214
  • 21 comments
United States
US
Are there any significant differences in performance/graphics (including frame rate/playability) between PCars on the standard PS4 vs Xbox One S? I am considering getting one of the systems basically for PCars. Unfortunately, a new PC, PS4 Pro, or XBox One X are all out of my price range. What does everyone think so far?

Also, I have a Logitech Driving Force GT - will that work on PS4? From looking around, it sounds like the answer is no, but a yes would definitely push me toward the PS4.

Otherwise, I'm also interested in Forza Horizon 3 so leaning toward the XBox at the moment. GT5 and 6 were major letdowns in terms of actual racing (offline) and PCars sounds much like what I'm looking for.

I'm afraid the game will perform rather poor on both systems... the PS4 version should look and perform better though. The Xbox One S doesn't deliver any performance boost on any game over the base hardware. PS4 is still the stronger console. Forza Horizon 3 however looks really good on every Xbox One hardware. If you're interested in PCARS 2, you should check out Digital Foundrys analysis on YouTube.

I wouldnt get either system for PCars 2 and that also rules out the PS4 Pro as it's poor for that also. Xbox One X is the only way to go if you want a good experience with PCars 2 on a console. Horizon is an amazing arcade series you wont be disappointed with that if you choose Xbox. My advice would be to try and save a bit longer as PCars 2 is amazing for the X and Horizon will be getting an X patch early next year then you will not need to worry about upgrading for newer race titles in the next few years as it's only going to get worse for standard Xbox & PS4

I wouldnt get either system for PCars 2 and that also rules out the PS4 Pro as it's poor for that also.

I wouldn't go that far. It is a good experience in my view. You will be able to play at 60 fps in most races, and the game looks good too, at least on a 4K TV. I spend 60 hours so far with this game on the PS4 Pro and i think it's a good place for PCars 2. Of course, a mighty PC is the way to go, and XBox One X gets really close to it as far as i know. But calling the experience on PS4 Pro "poor" is an exaggeration. Bear in mind this console is not as expensive as the Xbox One X... and still out of Raven's price range.

I wouldn't go that far. It is a good experience in my view. You will be able to play at 60 fps in most races, and the game looks good too, at least on a 4K TV. I spend 60 hours so far with this game on the PS4 Pro and i think it's a good place for PCars 2. Of course, a mighty PC is the way to go, and XBox One X gets really close to it as far as i know. But calling the experience on PS4 Pro "poor" is an exaggeration. Bear in mind this console is not as expensive as the Xbox One X... and still out of Raven's price range.
Not for me, Ian/SMS have said a graphics patch is on it's way but right now it's a very poor looking game on either of the Playstation consoles with the terrible LOD pops, Awful AA and awful AF (none of which are an issue on the X)

The XBox One X sounds pretty convincing, but I'm going to have to wait for a price drop.

Is there any way to get my Logitech Driving Force GT to work with the XBX?

The sticking point is as always price, because my wife has the final say on all of this... one of the perks of adulting... :rolleyes:

The XBox One X sounds pretty convincing, but I'm going to have to wait for a price drop.

Is there any way to get my Logitech Driving Force GT to work with the XBX?

The sticking point is as always price, because my wife has the final say on all of this... one of the perks of adulting... :rolleyes:

I don't think a DFGT will work with an X Box. It's also not compatible with a PS4, but there are technical work rounds for the compatability problem - look in the sim racing hardware section for more details.

I play PC2 on a PS4 Pro and think the graphics are fine - I certainly haven't noticed anything wrong with them - that is obviously my subjective opinion and some people do have a problem with them. If possible check the game out at a friends house before purchase to avoid disappointment.

Not for me, Ian/SMS have said a graphics patch is on it's way but right now it's a very poor looking game on either of the Playstation consoles with the terrible LOD pops, Awful AA and awful AF (none of which are an issue on the X)
"Very poor" is even more of a gross exaggeration than "poor". The game has detailed car models (excessively so IMO), plentiful details on tracks and the surrounding environments, gorgeous color palettes with the time-of-day cycle (especially against the dynamic clouds), nifty special effects and impressive lighting...the art direction puts it among the best-looking games I've ever played. Some very minor artifacts do not change that.

The Xbox One X footage in the other thread is basically identical to what I get out of a regular PS4 in my view, aside from what would be a welcome improvement to the framerate. I'm fully aware of the (miniscule) differences, but I could hardly care less.

I don't mean you're wrong to care about such details, but I agree with @RaceFuchs that it goes too far to call PCARS2's visuals "poor" because of them.

"Very poor" is even more of a gross exaggeration than "poor". The game has detailed car models (excessively so IMO), plentiful details on tracks and the surrounding environments, gorgeous color palettes with the time-of-day cycle (especially against the dynamic clouds), nifty special effects and impressive lighting...the art direction puts it among the best-looking games I've ever played. Some very minor artifacts do not change that.

The Xbox One X footage in the other thread is basically identical to what I get out of a regular PS4 in my view, aside from what would be a welcome improvement to the framerate. I'm fully aware of the (miniscule) differences, but I could hardly care less.
@RaceFuchs that it goes too far to call PCARS2's visuals "poor" because of them.

@RaceFuchs that it goes too far to call PCARS2's visuals "poor" because of them.
Sure it does alot of things like dynamic weather and live track but these consoles until now could not handle it until the X. The game is a step back graphically from the first title. Its well documented the graphics are not what they should be hence SMS are releasing a graphics patch if the game looked good do you really think this would still be coming? What were all hoping for is at least put it on par with PCars1.

X footage basically identical to the PS4? Thats just crazy talk.

Detailed car models?

Project_CARS_2_20170927012703.png

Which cars there would you describe as detailed? We do all see things differently and if you think the cars in PCars 2 are detailed on the PS4 that will be why you think its a good looking game and myself a poor looking game especially for a PS4 Pro game (it looks good on PC n X)

Last edited:
@Harry Freq -- Just because a game could look better doesn't mean it doesn't look good. If SMS thinks they can fix it up a bit, that's why a patch is coming. PCARS1 did look a bit better...and PCARS2 looks a lot better than a lot of other games. If you expect better, that's your prerogative, but I don't think "very poor" is a very accurate or meaningful description. It makes for a pretty lopsided scale in a broader context.

Of course, where I'm coming from on this, something like anti-aliasing is so far down my list of concerns I don't care if a game doesn't even bother. Videogame graphics are composed of pixels. Water is wet. Apply anti-aliasing, and it doesn't look any less like a videogame to me.

PS4S for same price you are getting faster console. DC is very underrated game and there are many other genre of games if you are interested. DFGT will not work though, you will have to search some work around for it

Standard PS4, with a 32" Vizio 1080p screen nothing fancy but works good.
I went into my TV settings and have made it look quite good.
Set it to game with low latency turned on.
Increase backlight, lower brightness contrast color a bit then take sharpness way down for a smooth screen.

@Harry Freq -- Just because a game could look better doesn't mean it doesn't look good. If SMS thinks they can fix it up a bit, that's why a patch is coming. PCARS1 did look a bit better...and PCARS2 looks a lot better than a lot of other games. If you expect better, that's your prerogative, but I don't think "very poor" is a very accurate or meaningful description. It makes for a pretty lopsided scale in a broader context.

Of course, where I'm coming from on this, something like anti-aliasing is so far down my list of concerns I don't care if a game doesn't even bother. Videogame graphics are composed of pixels. Water is wet. Apply anti-aliasing, and it doesn't look any less like a videogame to me.
So can we at least agree the cars are not detailed? :)
XXI
Standard PS4, with a 32" Vizio 1080p screen nothing fancy but works good.
I went into my TV settings and have made it look quite good.
Set it to game with low latency turned on.
Increase backlight, lower brightness contrast color a bit then take sharpness way down for a smooth screen.
Yeah small screen you wont notice all the jaggies as much, The larger you go the more apparent of the flaws become.

Yeah small screen you wont notice all the jaggies as much, The larger you go the more apparent of the flaws become.

Years of trying different setups and rigs has brought me to that conclusion.
I've had triple screens, 42" and 55" screens, computer monitors, I've learned nothing beats the smallest screen you can stand setup fairly close to your face than looking at something large 6ft away.

Well... I also don't see any problem with how the game looks on standard PS4. For me this is pretty good version of the game. It is definitely playable and it gives a lot of fun.

I've watched some comparison videos online, and it appears the general consensus is XBox One S < PS4 < PS4 P < XB One X (< PC). Now I have no idea what to do lol. I had originally been looking at the XB One S bundle with Forza Horizon 3 for $250 plus the Logitech G920 which is on sale for $200, but now I feel it's prob better to wait for the One X to drop price (hopefully) next year - $500 ain't going to work for me. I can wait a bit, and by then PCars2 should be wholely optimized. But man it looks amazing and has me itching to race!

XXI
Years of trying different setups and rigs has brought me to that conclusion.
I've had triple screens, 42" and 55" screens, computer monitors, I've learned nothing beats the smallest screen you can stand setup fairly close to your face than looking at something large 6ft away.
Yup, smaller pixels make sharper pictures. And the effect is worse if you have a 4K TV. Watch something in 4K, then play a 1080p game. Looks blocky as hell. Which it of course is only relative, it's the same as before. But it's not something you can unsee.

You misunderstood me in the first place; up close the cars are more detailed than I would ask for, and that's as true on PS4 as the other platforms. :) I wouldn't mind better LOD models at a distance, but I won't complain if they're not resolved because it's worth it as an apparent tradeoff for the benefit of gameplay with LiveTrack 3.0 and all. It's also better to have those than worse framerate drops in taxing conditions.

You misunderstood me in the first place; up close the cars are more detailed than I would ask for, and that's as true on PS4 as the other platforms. :) I wouldn't mind better LOD models at a distance, but I won't complain if they're not resolved because it's worth it as an apparent tradeoff for the benefit of gameplay with LiveTrack 3.0 and all. It's also better to have those than worse framerate drops in taxing conditions.
Look at the screenshot...the very close car does not have any detail at all. You cannot make out any decals cannot make out the Renault badge or Clio badge. GT3 cars the lights completely disappear at so close range. I have no idea how you can say they are detailed for me they are the least detailed cars for a racer this gen and infact id say GT5 cars are more detailed from last gen.

Look at the screenshot...the very close car does not have any detail at all. You cannot make out any decals cannot make out the Renault badge or Clio badge. GT3 cars the lights completely disappear at so close range. I have no idea how you can say they are detailed for me they are the least detailed cars for a racer this gen and infact id say GT5 cars are more detailed from last gen.
Regardless of what you expect from that car at that range (I can make out the Renault badge and "CLIO" on my 17" laptop screen in spite of the harsh lighting), you're still missing what I'm saying. The details exist in the game, with more than enough detail at close range. Those are the "detailed car models" I meant. When they are less detailed, it is because they are viewed at a distance due to the LOD swaps.

It's not like PCARS2's models are akin to GT5's Standard models when viewed up close.

Regardless of what you expect from that car at that range (I can make out the Renault badge and "CLIO" on my 17" laptop screen in spite of the harsh lighting), you're still missing what I'm saying. The details exist in the game, with more than enough detail at close range. Those are the "detailed car models" I meant. When they are less detailed, it is because they are viewed at a distance due to the LOD swaps.

It's not like PCARS2's models are akin to GT5's Standard models when viewed up close.
No they are not standard GT models from the PS2 era but for me on the PS4 Pro they are very last gen looking and as i say i think even last gen had higher detailed models which is insane when you consider how powerful a PS4 Pro is compared to a PS3.

You might be able to make the clio badge out but its an absolute mess as is the Clio badge due to the LOD being so poor. Those decals look like they have came from ya standard GT cars no? Infact the car just 3 infront looks like a standard GT car or possibly worse just look at those lights!? Would be good to see a comparison screenshot of a GT5 PS2 car compared to it.

Its okay saying they are detailed at close range but you need to be right up thier arses to see any detail as soon as they are 10 metres away they transform into a smudge. The distance they transform is the shortest distance ive ever seen in a racing title. Forza 5 was really bad when the One launched but not this bad. If you watch videos of PCars 2 on the new Xbox this crazy transforming to smudges does not happen.

Last edited:
Back