PS4K PollPS4 

• Thread starter Mike_grpA
  • 36 comments

Will you buy a PS4K?

• Total voters
Australia
Tasmania, AU
stigsdaddy
Who plans to buy a PS4k if and when it's released? I've created a poll to see how people feel about it, and whether their opinion on it is affected by if they own a PS4 or not.

I don't plan on buying one, and I currently own a PS4, but I have no problem with it's existence, my reason is that I don't intend on buying another console regardless of what it is.

Last edited:
I own a PS4 and I think it's an awful console. I've never experienced more problems with one console, even my Xbox 360 was more reliable, so I don't think I'll be investing in anymore Sony consoles any time soon. Plus if they continue to make MLB the Show for the normal PS4, then I don't see a reason to upgrade.

I own a PS4 and I think it's an awful console. I've never experienced more problems with one console, even my Xbox 360 was more reliable, so I don't think I'll be investing in anymore Sony consoles any time soon. Plus if they continue to make MLB the Show for the normal PS4, then I don't see a reason to upgrade.

Really? That sounds unlucky mate. I haven't had any issues with my PS4, other than the weedy 500gb HDD it came with, but I replaced that with a 2tb. I have had issues in the past with the PSN though, but it seems much better lately than it was when the PS4 first came out.

I don't intend on buying another console after this one, as PC gaming just has way too many advantages these days, so I'll be going PC next.

I own a PS4 and think a PS4K is absolutely stupid. Console gaming should remain distinct from PC gaming and not have the same complexities.

This could be the beginning of the end of console gaming if the stupid people demand upgradable consoles.

Really? That sounds unlucky mate. I haven't had any issues with my PS4, other than the weedy 500gb HDD it came with, but I replaced that with a 2tb. I have had issues in the past with the PSN though, but it seems much better lately than it was when the PS4 first came out.

I don't intend on buying another console after this one, as PC gaming just has way too many advantages these days, so I'll be going PC next.

I've been plagued by corrupt data issues and I've had to initialize my PS4 now 6 times. It's fairly frustrating since 90% of the time I use it solely as a media center and when I go to play a game it doesn't work. It took my 2 days of poking around but I finally managed to get MLB the Show 16 working, but I'm still a bit worried it will fail on me again and I'll loose all my saved games once again.

The PS4 has disappointed me ever since it was first revealed at E3. This isn't changing my mind whatsoever, I only care if the Game Library interests me (as well as expenses which PS4 failed me on that level too) and the only PS4 game doing that is Ratchet & Clank but that's a reboot and I tend to find them a waste of time.

Get a pc, nothing but crap arcade coming to playstation anyway.

There are plenty of great games coming to PS4, and a lot already on it, but PC is definitely far better than any console. As it stands, I simply can't justify the investment of a PC or another console any time soon, I have far more important things to spend my money on. But, when the time comes to upgrade, I will be upgrading to PC, not another console. :)

I've been plagued by corrupt data issues and I've had to initialize my PS4 now 6 times. It's fairly frustrating since 90% of the time I use it solely as a media center and when I go to play a game it doesn't work. It took my 2 days of poking around but I finally managed to get MLB the Show 16 working, but I'm still a bit worried it will fail on me again and I'll loose all my saved games once again.

Man! that is massively unlucky mate, I feel sorry for you. I would have returned it for a refund in your shoes.

All this talk about game library worries me more about the next-generation of consoles more than the expenses.

All 3 companies (Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft) were too focused on what their console could do instead of having any games to show what it can do. Nintendo was able to fix their Game Library problem despite a lack of Third Party support and Microsoft are getting there though they need more than Forza 6, Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5 (not to mention PC could be crushing what the XB1 has :/), Sony is lagging behind simply making their best quality games come out way too many years behind the PS4s release it's ridiculous and makes me think the PS4 was released too early, along with the other consoles.

I understand for those who are obsessed with power that the power of last-gen are considered "outdated" (Nintendo has always had this "issue" even when the Wii came out) but with Games taking a long 🤬 time to be released on our current console Generation, I think I rather still have outdated consoles with a great library over a powerful console with no games to show for it.

I just don't see why people are so upset. Not like Sony is forcing anyone to buy anything. This is a console that is tailored towards people who may already own a 4k television and want their games in 4k. The rest of us can stick with the regular PS4

Pretty much my thoughts. People just look for trivial things to get angry about these days. I think the majority of the outrage is fueled by speculation that there will be games tailored specifically to the PS4K, and the regular PS4 either won't get those games, or will suffer badly as a result of games not being optimised for it. Honestly I think it's unfounded speculation, because Sony wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by allowing in house/2nd party devs to do that, and third parties all make their games for much more powerful PCs, and downgrade the graphics significantly for the PS4 version. Sony would have to ensure their own devs make their games work properly on both specs, likely with slightly better graphics for the PS4K version, and third party devs would simply be able to allow a slightly higher graphics spec from their PC version as a selectable option for those who have a PS4K.

I'll simply stick with my regular PS4, and as I'm fully aware that the PC guys get significantly better graphics in their version of the games I have, I won't lose any sleep over knowing there will be people with a slightly better PS4 than me lol.

PS4.5 and PS4K both are stupid names. As long as people owing PS4 do not get shafted :banghead:. Now I can see PS4 slim for 300 and PS4.5 for 500$ which gives more option. I am not sure PS4.5 with upscalling to 4K will look any sharper than 1080P also color, contrast. I am not sure most people can tell the difference. I think the biggest improvement will be fps as most gfx intensive games like Ratchet and clank, Uncharted4 should be 60fps via update.

I will wait and see if it is worth it as I have no interest in PS VR and no 4K TV as yet

...makes me think the PS4 was released too early, along with the other consoles.
Last gen went on for too long and games were being held back by the old hardware. PC ports were (and still are, in some cases) downgraded to make them more like the console versions. Watch Dogs is infamous for the massive downgrade that it had, presumably to make the game look similar on all platforms.

Last gen went on for too long and games were being held back by the old hardware. PC ports were (and still are, in some cases) downgraded to make them more like the console versions. Watch Dogs is infamous for the massive downgrade that it had, presumably to make the game look similar on all platforms.

I agree. PS4 was released later than it should have been IMO. If it released two years earlier, it will have come out 5 years after PS3, and would have been out for 5 years at the end of this year, so we'd be due for PS5 in that case. I think Sony knows they released it a bit too late, and if they let the PS4 run as long as PS1,2 and 3 did before replacement (around 7 years), the hardware in the PS4 would be so outdated, the difference between PC and PS4 would be laughably bad. Just imagine what PC games will look like at the end of 2020, because that's when PS4 will be 7 years old.

At least there were actual games on the old hardware, hardly anyone has really used the new hardware of the consoles properly except for Nintendo though their hardware is on the same level as Xbox 360 so they don't count.

The ones that are using the consoles potential haven't been realised yet on PS4 and Xbox ONE has only started, 2-3+ Years later to actually get games that make use of the console. This "way to early" Gen realise only benefited games with PC ports, nothing more which makes 0 sense as those people who support it just play the PC version anyway and not the console version. Every game that is meant for the consoles has been left in the dust and taking such a long time. Consoles shouldn't try to keep up with PC IMO, it is an unwinnable battle and will only make it more costly with consumers and console game developers will also get screwed over.

There is really no point on getting a Console when its important games are due to be released several years later, the reason why I bought the Wii U 2 Years after it came out or an Xbox ONE until I got more details on Forza 6. PS4 would be so much more appealing if it was released now as good polished games are coming in sooner to the PS4 release date instead of buying it in 2013 and have it collect dust like what several users here are saying.

Some of the later PS3 exclusives could have been made for PS4 instead if it came out 2 years earlier though, so it's not like it would have existed for 2 years without any games. The later PS3 games like GT6 were too much for PS3, and I imagine they could have been made significantly better if they were made for PS4. I do agree that the current consoles are lacking a bit in exclusives, but I don't think holding back a console's release would change that. I think Microsoft and Sony buying up more talent might though.

Sony's 2nd party devs mostly seem very slow to develop games though, so perhaps they'd do well by getting a few devs on board who perhaps aren't so obsessed with making massive games and can pump out some simpler, fun titles.

I own a PS4 and I think it's an awful console. I've never experienced more problems with one console, even my Xbox 360 was more reliable
I'll see you and raise you one.

My 360 Leet died within seven weeks. The wheel controller in six, and the hand controller was bad out of the box.

My XBone installed the Forza 6 demo poorly, and STILL doesn't recognize that there's a Thrustmaster wheel in the device list. The force feedback is almost completely frooked, to the point driving is too painful to continue with. Deleting the demo only changed the handling a bit. Haven't played it since October.

But wait, there's more. Windoze 7 keeps dropping my Logitech USB gaming mouse for seconds at a time, often in multiple hangs, which makes battling supermutants in Fallout 4 problematic to say the least.

So whatever. I guess everything is the yuck these days. So anyhow, Playstation gaming is my thing, and PS4K will be mine someday. You guys can sulk if you so choose.

The ones that are using the consoles potential haven't been realised yet on PS4 and Xbox ONE has only started, 2-3+ Years later to actually get games that make use of the console.
Based on the fact that there have been multiple games with major downgrades, I'd say that the potential of the consoles has already been reached.
This "way to early" Gen realise only benefited games with PC ports, nothing more which makes 0 sense as those people who support it just play the PC version anyway and not the console version.
No, it benefitted people who wanted bigger and more ambitious games that the previous generation of consoles couldn't handle.
Consoles shouldn't try to keep up with PC IMO, it is an unwinnable battle and will only make it more costly with consumers and console game developers will also get screwed over.
Assuming the 'PS4K' is real, this entire situation could have been avoided if Sony released a more powerful console in the first place. That goes for Microsoft and Nintendo, too.

It depends on the games for me but for how it stands right now, I'll probably not get it.

Based on the fact that there have been multiple games with major downgrades, I'd say that the potential of the consoles has already been reached.

No, it benefitted people who wanted bigger and more ambitious games that the previous generation of consoles couldn't handle.

Assuming the 'PS4K' is real, this entire situation could have been avoided if Sony released a more powerful console in the first place. That goes for Microsoft and Nintendo, too.
I doubt that they have, Nintendo was able to make MK8 look relatively stunning on the Wii U and work at 60 FPS throughout (minus 3-4 Players Splitscreen).

Where are those games you are mentioning? You keep mentioning it as if more power will give games more substance but if anything todays games have focused more on Style than Substance which has made today's games on PS4 and Xbox ONE either Broken, Empty or just Pretty Visuals (can even be 2 of the 3). Order 1886 is a huge example of this.

More Powerful Consoles would do nothing but increase the price and force Games to wait even longer to be made so they can use the potential of the console. It is obvious, Nintendo is going for the cost efficient route and it is now the only console that supports Free Online and Backwards Capability, it is a shame they shot themselves in the foot by probably one of the worst marketing attempts for a console and releasing too early when there best games were going to come out a Year later. Remember when the PS3 debut and was almighty powerful, the price was horrificly high and also with a lack of games whihc caused a huge damage in Playstation that thankfully they were able to patch up.

I think we just need more games for the consoles and I'm not talking about the massive projects we are getting. Smaller games that can be made quicker to entertain us as we wait for the games big titles. Nintendo did that with the 3DS, it came out of March with its best games coming out in November-December, thankfully there were some smaller games to look forward too in-between then like 3D remakes and Nintendogs + Cats. Of course this didn't help the 3DS due to its unreasonable price at the beginning but if it was cheaper at the start than it is a possibility.

Power is not going to help gaming at all, let me remind you that this is the first Generation where the most powerful console is winning and it isn't because the PS4 is powerful, it is because its marketing wasn't horrible. Last Gen, Wii smashed the competition with its marketing towards the casual consumers when they were hot and the Wii wasn't even in HD. PS2 and PS1 totally annihilated the competition despite the Xbox and Sega Saturn crushing them in power. Lets not forget the Neo Geo's crushing defeat to both the SNES and the Genesis/Master System. Even in this Generation of Handhelds, the Vita couldn't handle the 3DS success. Console success is simply determined by Marketing (games do help fuel it), nothing more.

Last edited:
Where are those games you are mentioning? You keep mentioning it as if more power will give games more substance but if anything todays games have focused more on Style than Substance which has made today's games on PS4 and Xbox ONE either Broken, Empty or just Pretty Visuals (can even be 2 of the 3). Order 1886 is a huge example of this.
Watch Dogs, The Division, Far Cry 3, Assasin's Creed Unity, The Witcher 3 and Forza 5 are some games that have been downgraded. More power means that games can be better but yes, most of the time the extra grunt is put towards eye candy.
More Powerful Consoles would do nothing but increase the price and force Games to wait even longer to be made so they can use the potential of the console. It is obvious, Nintendo is going for the cost efficient route and it is now the only console that supports Free Online and Backwards Capability, it is a shame they shot themselves in the foot by probably one of the worst marketing attempts for a console and releasing too early when there best games were going to come out a Year later. Remember when the PS3 debut and was almighty powerful, the price was horrificly high and also with a lack of games whihc caused a huge damage in Playstation that thankfully they were able to patch up.
The Xbox 360 was also quite powerful (and expensive) at the time, but it still sold well. If the previous generation of consoles weren't as powerful as they were at launch, they most likely would have been replaced ages ago. They didn't hit their limits early on in their life cycles like this generation.

Power is not going to help gaming at all, let me remind you that this is the first Generation where the most powerful console is winning and it isn't because the PS4 is powerful, it is because its marketing wasn't horrible. Last Gen, Wii smashed the competition with its marketing towards the casual consumers when they were hot and the Wii wasn't even in HD. PS2 and PS1 totally annihilated the competition despite the Xbox and Sega Saturn crushing them in power. Lets not forget the Neo Geo's crushing defeat to both the SNES and the Genesis/Master System. Even in this Generation of Handhelds, the Vita couldn't handle the 3DS success. Console success is simply determined by Marketing (games do help fuel it), nothing more.
Power does help gaming. Like I said earlier, having more power means that games can be larger and more ambitious than before. This doesn't automatically mean that games will be better, it just means that there's more potential for greater games.
With the Wii, it was a massive success but it soon ran out of steam because it was a hell of a lot weaker than the other consoles at the time. First Party support was good but Third Party support was awful because developers were launching games that required more power than the Wii had.

It's hard to see Power being the answer when games can't reach the potential in time. Unity's problem was that it was rushed and Forza 5 scaled back due to brand new hardware Forza 6 was able to top it.

I hear that argument being tossed around about Power means bigger games and on paper it makes a lot of sense but you have a lot of factors to reconsider like costs, 360 sold well but it was cheaper than the PS3 and it has actual good marketing to back it up. Wii did lose steam but it had enough to still be on top of the chain with their first party support which most sold relatively well, also the Third Party problem wasn't with the Wii's power, it was because they tried to cash-in on Motion Controls which didn't work out, if I remember correctly Sonic had far more success on the Wii than he did on the 360 and PS3.

I think you taking PC logic into Consoles which they aren't the same thing in more ways. Consoles charm also come from the price of the console, the controller, easier to get noticed due to countless home console adds. Pricing, Marketing, Games and even Controller are even more important than Power and to the logic of more power means better games. Judging from all the discussion of all the consoles the Wii U owners is the only consple owjership where the majority are satisfied with the game library and the Wii U is very poor in power.

No one really brought the PS4 because it was the most powerfullest, it was the best at its market as the Wii U failed marketing and so did Xbox ONE, there was no other console to turn to for the non-diehard fans,

because Sony wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot
IMO they already are by blurring the line between PC and PS4. The main USP of a console has always been: one platform, plug-and-play. No thinking, just pop the disc in and play. If you blur that line (and it has been blurring for years) or split the community, especially with PCs being a LOT more userfriendly and plug-and-play these days (as well as becoming cheaper and cheaper), they're shooting themselves in the foot. If a console becomes just a mediocre PC it will have to compete with the likes of AlienWare, Valve, and whatnot. It doesn't have to right now.

Why would I buy a console? For the exclusives? PS4 has been out since 2013 and the amount of worthwhile exclusives can be counted on one hand. Day-one patches, hardware peripherals no longer being compatible, price-hiking in the (monopolized) online store (prices are 10-20 euros more expensive there, just for giggles) are all the new normal, so what exactly is the advantage of having a PS4 these days?

(And mind you, I bought a PS4 for my son, and guess where he prefers to play games? Daddy's living room PC. :lol:)

Microsoft on the other hand is embracing the PC/console blur with their new strategy with regards to gaming (where platform is less and less relevant, but it's about the software/games). They're moving towards a truly unified architecture (Win10 for all). Which is both great for us (games will just work on either platform) and for developers (a lot cheaper to develop a AAA title for both platforms and mobile spinoffs too).

I bought a PS4 on launch day and have played it pretty much every day since then, it is by far and away my favorite console this generation. Since I generally always buy the "slim" version of PlayStation consoles as well, I plan to pick whatever the new revision for the PS4 is too.

Back