PSA Peugeot Citroen In Talks To Buy Opel/Vauxhall

• Thread starter Robin
  • 100 comments
I just was shown this today:

vauxhall-mokka-uk-pricing-specs-3.jpg

A replacement for that hopelessly stupid looking subcompact they sell as a Buick here. And I had to just think how amused I am that the only thing Opel needed all along (not to mention immediately returning to being profitable after GM pissed money down the drain on it for two decades) was to no longer be controlled by GM.
It’s simply astonishing how mismanaged GM is. They somehow couldn’t make profitable the fourth best selling marque in Europe (frequently trading places with Ford) and the second or third best selling marque Australia profitable. It’s a real shame Holden wasn’t included in the Vauxhall/Opel sale, considering after the Commodore’s cancellation their entire lineup were just Vauxhall/Opels. GM have basically fully committed themselves to pickup/SUV sales in the North America and Buick sales in China to keep them afloat. Almost like they learnt nothing after being bailed out.

GM have basically fully committed themselves to pickup/SUV sales in the North America and Buick sales in China to keep them afloat. Almost like they learnt nothing after being bailed out.
To be fair, Toyota and Honda have pretty much destroyed the passenger car market in North America (the former more than the latter).

To be less fair, this was entirely Ford and GM's own fault by thinking brand loyalty still meant anything in the age of leasing and disposable vehicles, an age they themselves rushed to usher in. If you encourage people to get rid of their cars every two years then they're going to go for whatever one offers the most features at the best monthly payment, irregardless of whose name is stamped onto the front grille.

Presumably going to look a lot like the Mokka but lowered and stretched to C-Seg hatch proportions... Which is no bad thing as the Mokka is already a good-looking car.

I've waited 30 long years to see Vauxhall get back to this level of design competence. There's been some bland or dreadful missteps along the way.

On second thoughts, I'll wait to pass judgement. That back end looks awfully like the current 308 with Vauxhall taillights. I hope it's just mule bodywork...

opel_astra_20.jpg
opel_astra_25.jpg

Last edited:
The Grandland is the latest Vauxhall to adopt the vizor front fascia, still has a 296hp range-topping plug-in hybrid variant
2022-vauxhall-grandland-facelift.jpg

2022-vauxhall-grandland-facelift.jpg

2022-opel-grandland-facelift.jpg

Looks good. I'm not sure if this black visor is a significant retro thing for Opel of if they're just making it their new face or what but it does look good. I can't say that it scream Opel though - I'm not familiar enough with the brand to know what an "Opel" should look like but I suppose this is a good starting point.

Back