PSVR wheres the Love?

• Thread starter Hereward71
  • 31 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Been a while since I posted on GTP, been busy LOL Just a quick one regarding PSVR and GT Sport. how many of you are actualy still living in hope that some sort of multiplayer or an AI race will become available? And no the single AI vs mode is about as challenging as falling over so I'm not counting that as any sort of race! Time trial is ok to a point and taking an F40 out round the nurb in VR is fantastic but a bit of VR love would go a long way from the devs as currently driveclub is the only PSVR car racing title that offers competition based racing..........please?

Been a while since I posted on GTP, been busy LOL Just a quick one regarding PSVR and GT Sport. how many of you are actualy still living in hope that some sort of multiplayer or an AI race will become available? And no the single AI vs mode is about as challenging as falling over so I'm not counting that as any sort of race! Time trial is ok to a point and taking an F40 out round the nurb in VR is fantastic but a bit of VR love would go a long way from the devs as currently driveclub is the only PSVR car racing title that offers competition based racing..........please?

For some reason I was under the assumption that the game was VR compatible. I guess I was mistaken.

I believe the exclusion comes down to hardware limitations. If they could throw more, smarter AI in the mix, they definitely would - that's probably why the single AI opponent that we race against is so weak.

I haven't heard any confirmation, but I'm hoping that the current PSVR remains compatible when the PS5 comes out. That's probably when they expand on it.

I understand what you mean though. GT VR has so much potential - the quality of the visuals is unreal. But just give me at least five good opponents to race against. I'd take more, but I'd rather them prioritize AI level more than increasing grid size.

Have you tried to do a custom race, setting it on Professional level, turning all penalties on and starting from the back? I'd say that is more challenging than falling over.

If they could throw more, smarter AI in the mix, they definitely would - that's probably why the single AI opponent that we race against is so weak.

I'm not even sure, I think the slow AI is more a game design choice to showcase the other car in VR : you can drive slowly, or be a beginner using PSVR for the first time, and look anywhere and take all the time you want to have multiple glances to the other car. If it was competitive, beginners wouldn't see it more than 10 seconds :D

At the very least there should be single player races with more, and better, AI opponents. Online multiplayer would be amazing. I live in hope for both, but I'd be surprised to get either.

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for the ps5 for any chance to race in VR. PD is too proud to use ps2 car models in VR. Kaz is already very disappointed with how it looks now. DC, Dirt Rally and Wipeout are all the full game in VR. (Although limited to less cars on track in DC)

I wish you could play sport mode in VR. Just use a crude box for the other cars, I don't care.

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for the ps5 for any chance to race in VR. PD is too proud to use ps2 car models in VR. Kaz is already very disappointed with how it looks now. DC, Dirt Rally and Wipeout are all the full game in VR. (Although limited to less cars on track in DC)

I wish you could play sport mode in VR. Just use a crude box for the other cars, I don't care.

Driveclub VR isn't the full game in VR.. It has less events, cars and don't have dynamic shadows, climate change..

The only 2 racing games are Wipeout and dirt rally.

Let see if PS5 brings all racing games in VR.. Like on PC now, where you got assetto, dirt rally, rfactor2, the 2 project Cars all full in VR.

Racing games fits great to VR together with flight simulators in my opinion

As has been touched upon it's all due to hardware limitations. It's like the PSVR is a generation ahead of the machine it's tied to. The PS5 will be able to open it up to it's full potential but running it on effectively mid range hardware from 2013 was never going to be anything more that somewhat of a showcase.

If VR stays a 'thing' long enough to survive to till Sony's next console, which by all accounts isn't all that far away then I would say yes your hopes will probably be answered, however if VR has had it's day (much like how motion controls and 3D gaming did) then dev's might have lost interest by then and you will end up with the paltry support things like the Sixaxis and PS Move had.

Last edited:
As has been touched upon it's all due to hardware limitations. It's like the PSVR is a generation ahead of the machine it's tied to. The PS5 will be able to open it up to it's full potential but running it on effectively mid range hardware from 2013 was never going to be anything more that somewhat of a showcase.

If VR stays a 'thing' long enough to survive to till Sony's next console, which by all accounts isn't all that far away then I would say yes your hopes will probably be answered, however if VR has had it's day (much like how motion controls and 3D gaming did) then dev's might have lost interest by then an you will end up with the paltry support things like the Sixaxis and PS Move have.

Slightly off topic, but the PS Move was a disaster.

well after another 12 months of not posting.......PSVR and GT Sport.......I'm still regularly putting on the goggles and jumping virtually into the game. I've tried handicapping my cars (lowering power, raising weight using comfort tyres) to give the AI a chance to put up a spirited fight but it only really works to a small degree and what your actualy doing is fighting your car not the AI LOL. However simply taking a car out around the Nurb is enjoyable enough, also running time trials with groups of people on social media is a great use of VR. And it's good to see pad users, wheel users and VR users were not at an advantage or disadvantage from the hardware they used.
Recently picked up a PS4pro and it has cleared away a good bit of the low res vr blur from the game but it's still kicking out 720p :( Along with Dirt rally it's a good vr experience, if you want a little plainer looking less sim like experience then drive club offers a full field of cars to race and even online racing (shame the servers are to be closed) But as for any other racing sims? All quiet on the western front :) Thats not to say theres no AAA PSVR titles being released, theres plenty, and with No Mans Sky about to go full VR the user base keeps growing and quality software keeps turning up weekly in the store........just if your into driving sims or flight sims your very limited.

If anyone's interested I can run a weekly GT time trial open to vr and non vr folks, one track, one class and one week to post times?

Quick vid, PSVR with T150 and ps4pro

Just got PSVR myself, I was quite amazed it’s one the most immersive experiences I’ve had! It’s very addictive and really good, the cars look great and genuinely I feel faster in VR.

The downside is just how frustrating it is, the cars look great but the track looks not very good at all. It just leaves me wanting more is the frustrating part, I want to do it but after a while I can’t ignore the pixelated track. I would of preferred if they dialled back the track details like crowds etc to help it. Also why does it have to output to the TV whilst playing? I understand that some games use this but gts there is no need it’s a waste of processor power imo.

That all said it is really good and I would definitely still recommend it, the full game in VR would be great. VR is so suited to sim racing.

Yeah running it at 720p even on the pro is a big let down, but it was one of the very early titles to utilise PSVR and after nearly 3 years developers have moved things a lot further along with the hardware, just a shame GT never really got any further commitment regarding the vr side of things, still an amazing title to just go drive some amazing cars in VR

I'm not even sure, I think the slow AI is more a game design choice to showcase the other car in VR : you can drive slowly, or be a beginner using PSVR for the first time, and look anywhere and take all the time you want to have multiple glances to the other car. If it was competitive, beginners wouldn't see it more than 10 seconds :D

I agree it's likely a design choice to admire the interior, and environment. To be able to drive next to the AI car and admire it from a cruising perspective does feel like a test drive and cruise. I play in VR to check out the cars interiors and appreciate the elevation changes and sites on the track when I'm not looking to race. For the first lap it is fun to pace behind and cruise next to the AI and see how the AI car looks from the drivers seat. I've noticed more burbles and crackles from cars exhaust notes cruising next to the AI in VR than going all out racing. Small things to appreciate when in VR. Then on lap two I attack the course and leave the AI behind. I just started using VR again after 1.39 update, it's immersive and fun. Two laps and a short break between testing the next car helps to prevent motion sickness. :) VR mode is still fun. I forgot about it for a long time but have gotten back to appreciating it.

Last edited:
Yeah running it at 720p even on the pro is a big let down, but it was one of the very early titles to utilise PSVR and after nearly 3 years developers have moved things a lot further along with the hardware, just a shame GT never really got any further commitment regarding the vr side of things, still an amazing title to just go drive some amazing cars in VR

It is still amazing to try out the cars and overall it’s a great experience. I like my graphics so I find it difficult to accept but i guess it’s just the limitations of the system. Other more recent games do look really good!

My frustration more is not being able to race in VR, even if they just added an online leaderboard for time trial it would be great.

On line leader board, the ability to race against time trial ghosts of friends or from the leader board would be perfect..........never going to happen but hey, it's still a great bit of VR as it stands.........I wonder if the rumoured wet tracks will make vr?

On line leader board, the ability to race against time trial ghosts of friends or from the leader board would be perfect..........never going to happen but hey, it's still a great bit of VR as it stands.........I wonder if the rumoured wet tracks will make vr?

I wondered the same but unfortunately I doubt it, just hasn’t got the performance for it I don’t think.

Just got PSVR myself, I was quite amazed it’s one the most immersive experiences I’ve had! It’s very addictive and really good, the cars look great and genuinely I feel faster in VR.

The downside is just how frustrating it is, the cars look great but the track looks not very good at all. It just leaves me wanting more is the frustrating part, I want to do it but after a while I can’t ignore the pixelated track. I would of preferred if they dialled back the track details like crowds etc to help it. Also why does it have to output to the TV whilst playing? I understand that some games use this but gts there is no need it’s a waste of processor power imo.

That all said it is really good and I would definitely still recommend it, the full game in VR would be great. VR is so suited to sim racing.

There's no power wasted outputting to tv. The break out box converts (half of) the psvr signal back to a square picture to output on tv. The power that's wasted is the ps4 pro. It has to run on the base ps4 as well, so all you get is a minor resolution boost on pro. There's not much you can do about the pixelated track in the distance, it's 960x1080 per eye spread out over 110 degrees. Normal tv viewing maxes out at 40 degrees, so in comparison you're playing at 350x400 resolution at best. Compare that to GT4 that supported 640x540 resolution on ps2 (in its 1080i mode). GT4 would look great on psvr without needing any compromises.

At the very least a 2 player VR online lobby should be possible. Would be nice for the guys who own the headsets to have a real opponent for racing or drfiting.

There's no power wasted outputting to tv. The break out box converts (half of) the psvr signal back to a square picture to output on tv. The power that's wasted is the ps4 pro. It has to run on the base ps4 as well, so all you get is a minor resolution boost on pro. There's not much you can do about the pixelated track in the distance, it's 960x1080 per eye spread out over 110 degrees. Normal tv viewing maxes out at 40 degrees, so in comparison you're playing at 350x400 resolution at best. Compare that to GT4 that supported 640x540 resolution on ps2 (in its 1080i mode). GT4 would look great on psvr without needing any compromises.
Graphical quality vs gameplay has always been a trade off in racing games. The older WRC games being a prime example.
For my budget PSVR is acceptable because the gameplay outweighs the need for pin sharp graphics.

I got Dirt Rally a couple of weeks ago in the PS Store sale for £6, and being able to play the full game in VR is great, especially racing rallycross with 5 other cars. I've not even played it without the VR once.

I'd have had no problem accepting PS3 or even PS2 level graphics if it meant that we could have a proper race against the AI in GTS, I do time trials a lot in VR still, but haven't done a race in ages, it's just pointless.

I'd be in for a weekly VR time trial competition, I'd likely be propping up the leaderboard, but it would be good to do something with a bit of a point in GTS in VR.

Full support would be nice surprice, but that propably happens at PS5..

Maybe arcade mode vr support..
At the very least custom race support in VR. Even if you could only race one other car, allow us to choose laps, settings, and what class/difficulty to race against.

It may not be know by everyone, so I re-post this information here : there's possibility to load ghost from another car, (you have to save your VR ghost before, then switch car, and load the ghost you want).

It allows you to have 2 ghosts on the track : the car/time you load, and your proper current ghost, see for example this video I made on Fuji, with porsche 996 (current) vs porsche 997 (loaded ghost) :

It's really fun when you try to catch up a car that is slightly faster than yours !

I think the biggest hurdle for PSVR is honestly the cable management. The game feels amazing in PSVR but the cable management makes me want to contemplate life.

If they can go wireless with next one, now that will be big.

I created a thread for VR Time Trial a week or so ago.. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/vr-time-trial-times.388447/
I too was surprised that after 2 years there is no leaderboard for VR, I understand why there isn't one as you can cut corners without penalties/etc.

If someone wants to setup a bi-weekly challenge I would be up for that. I think thats probably the way the VR Time Trial thread might go. If you want a legitimate time, then save the video showing the car settings/tyres/etc. There are a couple of videos on the thread that show this.

It may not be know by everyone, so I re-post this information here : there's possibility to load ghost from another car, (you have to save your VR ghost before, then switch car, and load the ghost you want).

It allows you to have 2 ghosts on the track : the car/time you load, and your proper current ghost, see for example this video I made on Fuji, with porsche 996 (current) vs porsche 997 (loaded ghost) :

It's really fun when you try to catch up a car that is slightly faster than yours !

Wait just a minute.... This is awesome!! Can you add a ghost from a different person/system?

I really shouldn't have bought a PSVR, it is going to become expensive as I can see myself going over to PC/VR and ditching the Playstation completely as there aren't many driving games for the PSVR and they haven't said much about the PS5 either.

Have you tried to do a custom race, setting it on Professional level, turning all penalties on and starting from the back? I'd say that is more challenging than falling over.
VR cannot be used in custom races, or nearly any other races in GTSport, for that matter. Only dedicated modes. That’s the whole point of this thread.

Back