PSVR2 easily damaged by prescription glasses

• Thread starter shadow0460
  • 21 comments
United States
United States
Says it all on the tin. I went to put on my headset this evening and had a smear I could not remove. Thought it was my glasses. I wear hardened safety glass in mine with anti shatter coating. Never once have I dropped or abused the headset, just set it down in a stack of AV cables or an old t shirt when done.
It turns out my right VR lens is deeply scratched just left of center ...right where I look. I tried to clean it the way I'd clean soft polymer glasses, no luck. Scratch removal made it worse. That's why I went to hard glass in my glasses, the stuff simply does not scratch. Period. That's why smartphones have it on the screen, it does not scratch.
IF YOU WEAR GLASSES, GET A GOOD WARRANTY ON YOUR PSVR2. You'll be going through several PSVR2 headsets. Why Sonyvgoofed and put the wrong material in the lenses is beyond me. I smell a class action suit on this, and my XBox 360 is more reliable (not to mention my 2600).

I tried. All I could get was their chatbot which kept saying, "I don't understand." I paid for it with a credit card, funds are now on hold until it's fixed or replaced.

Rather than relying on the warranty, I would highly recommend getting some prescription lens covers instead. It is a bit of extra expense but they completely remove the risk. As an added benefit, they're technically protecting the PSVR2's lenses from being scratched once installed so if anything does go wrong, it's much easier to replace.

I don't know where they're available in the US, but if the lens manufacturers who are in/ship to the US make anything like the ones I got here in the UK (https://store.adlens.com/product/vr-prooptics-for-psvr2/), they're very easy to put in. I've also found it more comfortable using the PSVR2 since getting them too, since the prescription lenses stay in a fixed place.

Last edited:
Why on earth sue for captain obvious. I can see the frustration though but you should realise it would scratch. I would buy lenses from various sources. Some do still mount on the lenses but then you at least only scratch the outside where the plastic frames touch the lenses. That is much easier lo live with. Personally I cant use lenses which would be the safest option beside doing without glasses.

Why on earth sue for captain obvious. I can see the frustration though but you should realise it would scratch. I would buy lenses from various sources. Some do still mount on the lenses but then you at least only scratch the outside where the plastic frames touch the lenses. That is much easier lo live with. Personally I cant use lenses which would be the safest option beside doing without glasses.
You're telling me I should expect a $600 item to become unusable in 29 days!? I don't think so! I paid half of that for my glasses. I'm legally blind without them. Since scratches are so critical, I got actual glass lenses. Glass does not scratch, period. I assume Sony would do the same thing since one, $200 smartphones come with actual glass screens, and two, the PSVR2 is a $600+ device after tax.
No, for what I paid, I do NOT expect the PSVR2 lenses to scratch AT ALL. But since Sony put cheap lenses in there, I have to replace mine. I have lens protectors on the way but the new headset will be here this evening. Better hope it doesn't scratch or Sony will be replacing it too. I'll do my part but I can't control if it shifts on my head. I'm also going to turn the vibration off until the protectors artive. I think if it does come in contact with what I consider "cheap" glasses, vibrating while in contact would make the scratch worse.
I've known for years that actual glass is the only true scratch resistant lens material. When baked correctly it's also shatterproof.
Unfortunately polycarbonate and plastic have become the hip material to have for lens making, thus the need for coat after coat of "protection". Only one lab in the US, Korrect Optical, still makes glass lenses. Maybe they will retrofit a PSVR2 or build prescription inserts. I ordered a set of protectors that physically stop my glasses from touching the lenses. The glass I use will destroy the guard before the glass takes any damage. I think non prescription protectors are the better route because my eyes are changing slowly and no two Dr visits yield the same prescription. I also got protectors that cover the lens, once they come in if they get scratched, no sweat. I'll just change them.
Best option is glass final lenses in the PSVR2 or to recess the final lenses a bit so they don't get scratched.

Last edited:
I've been using my VR2 headset since day one with my glasses without issue. I never close the viewer so that it is as close to your face as possible. I don't have to either. At the next step there's no chance of contact and light is still not let in.

Glass does not scratch, period.
Um. It literally does...
I paid a grand for my phone but it can still scratch, because, well, the screen is made of glass.

Edit: never mind what I said I misread, but point still stands, glass is always prone to scratching even in super expensive phones. Like others said, it would be advisable to use lens covers from this point on.

Last edited:
If you scratch the lens it's not Sonys problem. If they promised they couldn't be scratched then it's a different story.

It literally says the set is compatible with prescription glasses.

Um. It literally does...
I paid a grand for my phone but it can still scratch, because, well, the screen is made of glass.

Edit: never mind what I said I misread, but point still stands, glass is always prone to scratching even in super expensive phones. Like others said, it would be advisable to use lens covers from this point on.

It does but it takes a lot. In my case it chips or cracks. I have an expensive rugged phone myself, two grand in my case. (RFinder B1+ 14). The guy who markets it in the US recommends a hardened glass screen protector. The phone is almost two years old and has nary a scratch anywhere. My old phone had a solid glass screen which, for the longest has a crack.
Thick glass like what's on my face doesn't crack or scratch but it will chip. Last time that happened was three years ago, I dropped them at the local water park and rough pavement chipped a lens. It didn't break. That's how hard this stuff is. It stands up to range use but not full on safety glasses stuff.
If anything I'd say hardened glass does more of the scratching.

The headset has been replaced under warranty. I paid $70 for that. Not the best deal but the new one is also covered. Gonna add in a geek strap and see if that keeps it alive til the protective shields come in.
In all, it's been close to $900 for this. I added a set of headphones, they work well. I don't mind paying that much up front, but nickel and diming me to that amount makes me think unhappy thoughts.

Just use contacts, I did for 25+ years before I did lasik surgery. Or maybe consider it when you want to race in VR? 🤷‍♂️

Jerome

I have never been fitted for contacts. My glasses are around -3.5 with prism in them, I've never known contacts to have the prism.
With prescription inserts or dedicated contacts, the PSVR2 eliminates the need for prism.
For now, gonna try the geek strap and setting the screen out to max or maybe one notch in, just enough that the light shield touches my face. I flipped a kayak with the geek strap on, my glasses didn't budge.
Whoa, wait a second. The front of this headset actually moves a couple of inches! The damaged one never did that. It moved 1/4 inch at mostm

Last edited:
Compatible as can be seen by others using it doesn't mean it can't be scratched by a user.

I checked. It says it's compatible. As I posted above the visor slide was jammed, that's why it got scratched.

What about phone support?

No number was listed.

Update: the geek strap works and is useful for retaining glasses in all sorts of situations. There was 1/2 inch between my glasses and the PSVR2 lenses at all times save once when I bumped the left side gently together by accident. I could see no smearing or image tearing, so I assume it's fine.
My issue was a jammed front slider. That is still 100% unacceptable from a $900 unit ($550 base plus taxes and all the crap you need to protect it and hear it) which has essentially zero support from the manufacturer.
This post has run its course. Let the buyer beware.

VR prescription lenses are so underrated. Please shell out for them if you wear glasses. I swear my image is noticeably sharper ( I know it shouldn't be different to glasses as the script is the same but trust me, it just is). If you are sitting on the fence, do yourself a favour, you will not regret prescription VR lenses. No scratches, no sliding glasses, etc...all wins

Rather than relying on the warranty, I would highly recommend getting some prescription lens covers instead. It is a bit of extra expense but they completely remove the risk. As an added benefit, they're technically protecting the PSVR2's lenses from being scratched once installed so if anything does go wrong, it's much easier to replace.

I don't know where they're available in the US, but if the lens manufacturers who are in/ship to the US make anything like the ones I got here in the UK (https://store.adlens.com/product/vr-prooptics-for-psvr2/), they're very easy to put in. I've also found it more comfortable using the PSVR2 since getting them too, since the prescription lenses stay in a fixed place.
You Legend. I am terrified of scratching my VR headset at 500+ beans, 80quid for these seems totally worth. Will give them a bash. Thanks a whole bunch! Didn’t even know these were a thing.

I scratched my PSVR2 with my glasses literally 2hrs into first using it. I then contacted Sony about the issue a few days later and they were nice enough to replace it free of charge. Apparently scratched lenses is covered under warranty, even if you are at fault. I've since then purchased some prescription lenses from a company called reloptix. They fit and work perfectly, never have any issues with eye tracking or anything else for that matter. Highly recommend.

For anyone looking for an alternative to prescription inserts - for instance my PSVR2 gets used by 4 family members in the house, 2 of us with prescriptions, 2 without - you can buy cheap rubber bumpers or plastic shims that extend 3 - 5mm beyond the lens and protect the lenses from your glasses. Bought these day 1 as prescription inserts aren't viable in my use case and have had zero issues - no problems with eye tracking or IPD. Just an alternative.

These aren't the ones I bought but similar – edit: amazon link is garbage just search - cheaper and easier than 2 sets of prescription lenses and swapping.

Last edited:
Back