Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Will we be able to save our favorite liveries in Project CARS? I'm a big sucker for realistic and authentic liveries and I find it a big of a burden to each and every time having to manually select the liveries for my (singleplayer) races.

If we could save a "preferred livery" for each car that would be awesome.

I would also really like to see a filter for authentic and fictional liveries. I have the highest respect for some of the fine user-created artwork out there but I prefer to drive with realistic liveries, at least for singleplayer racing / replays / screenshots. For multiplayer I understand the importance of different racing numbers and there it's a whole different story.

For example :

the real thing:
Mercedes-Benz-300-SEL-63-AMG-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

PCARS1:
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a livery that's been done fantastically by the team and I would never ever even think of driving that car any other way.

If we get any Australian thing, it will be Supercars. Especially with Nissan on board.
I've got that rabbit's foot making sparks!

Will we be able to save our favorite liveries in Project CARS? I'm a big sucker for realistic and authentic liveries and I find it a big of a burden to each and every time having to manually select the liveries for my (singleplayer) races.

If we could save a "preferred livery" for each car that would be awesome.

I would also really like to see a filter for authentic and fictional liveries. I have the highest respect for some of the fine user-created artwork out there but I prefer to drive with realistic liveries, at least for singleplayer racing / replays / screenshots. For multiplayer I understand the importance of different racing numbers and there it's a whole different story.

For example :

the real thing:
Mercedes-Benz-300-SEL-63-AMG-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

PCARS1:
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a livery that's been done fantastically by the team and I would never ever even think of driving that car any other way.
I second that feature. A favorites option would be awesome.

Well, just a few days ago I tried the Lotus 72 on a thunderstormy Watkins Glen and I was a hell of a lot quicker (around 5-7 seconds) when I used dry tyres instead of wet ones. But maybe that's because aquaplaning isn't simulated in PC1?

It's by no means perfect in pCARS1 right. We've added a hell of a lot now in pCARS2, including aquaplaning. Our drivers tell us it's a good generation ahead of where it was and very accurately simulates wet weather driving. They were never overly happy with it in pCARS1, they are loving it in pCARS2.

Do leaves, get caught in the front air catchment of cars, equipped as such?
If so, does the pit crew do a quick wipe?

It was mentioned, pit crews carry out tasks as per race category. Are brake pad changes included in any of the animations?

Hey Brezipp- The only thing missing on that Merc is the Camel Filters logo. People will say it is for the banned license- I think it is because SMS know that their version will now go 0.06 seconds per lap quicker. See, they think of everything!

That Merc is the best car ever in Pcars 1. Oh the number of laps I did in it.

It warms the heart. :)

Nah, just seeing how much Live Track 3.0 interacts with the environment.

Monza has plenty leave on the track. They just blow around and stay there.
Cars seem to gather mud, snow, rubber.
Leaves getting caught in the front airdam wouldn't be too far off. Just another factor in overheating the engine.

Same as running off track in the wet. Mud and grass do get trapped in front splitters. The spotter could notify the driver and advise the pit crew are ready to receive a player.

Hey, if it's not that involved, so be it. .maybe something for he future. Or in an update. ;)

seems to be a film maker. While driving i don't care of leaves or other dirt hitting my car :)
Well, he means if you run off course does your radiator fill up with junk and block your engine cooling. It's a real problem in racing. I believe our animations are mainly associated with tire and fuel changes. The way the crew jumps over the walls (Daytona, Long Beach etc.) when you hit your marks looks pretty cool though.

Hey Brezipp- The only thing missing on that Merc is the Camel Filters logo. People will say it is for the banned license- I think it is because SMS know that their version will now go 0.06 seconds per lap quicker. See, they think of everything!

That Merc is the best car ever in Pcars 1. Oh the number of laps I did in it.

It warms the heart. :)
The Bosch logo above the front fender is also missing for whatever bizarre reason.

Anyway since Ian and The_American ignored the post I assume liveries won't be able to be saved in PCARS2. :(

Well, he means if you run off course does your radiator fill up with junk and block your engine cooling. It's a real problem in racing. I believe our animations are mainly associated with tire and fuel changes. The way the crew jumps over the walls (Daytona, Long Beach etc.) when you hit your marks looks pretty cool though.
i understood what he is meaning. The thing is, it looks good in replays and if you're gaming around. But as discussed in the WMD forum, once seen is cool, 10 times seen is ok, 100 times seen is "please, give me the option to switch that off".
Its just a nice overrated feature. And it could be endles. In some RL classes youll have to pit 2 minutes, i've seen drivers getting out of their cars. The next question will be then, "can i get out of the car and go arround while pit crew is working?" Nope, you can't :) " " oh, thats a shame"
Just kidding ;)

Anyway since Ian and The_American ignored the post I assume liveries won't be able to be saved in PCARS2. :(

You shouldn't automatically assume that. They stated that if they don't answer it could be due to lack of time, licensing reasons (in this case that's unlikely :)), marketing plans (they want official announcements to make some real noise) or they don't know the answer yet. The game isn't finished after all, so some features will still be in flux, even this close to release.

Right, some things we cannot answer (legal/marketing) or don't know at this time.

e.g., you guys are asking about amount of cars on the track but we're still optimizing the game performance (you do this at the end of the project typically) so this number is not known to anyone right now.

Is car selection laid out a little better this time? As in can we pick by race discipline and is it more organized? I'm not really a fan of the list view for selecting cars in PC1

You shouldn't automatically assume that. They stated that if they don't answer it could be due to lack of time, licensing reasons (in this case that's unlikely :)), marketing plans (they want official announcements to make some real noise) or they don't know the answer yet. The game isn't finished after all, so some features will still be in flux, even this close to release.
Yeah I know that but this is a tiny little harmless feature anyway. Doesn't have anything to do with licensing or something out of their hands in any way. If it was in I'm sure they would have quoted with a positive reply.

Yeah I know that but this is a tiny little harmless feature anyway. Doesn't have anything to do with licensing or something out of their hands in any way. If it was in I'm sure they would have quoted with a positive reply.
Everything is just a "tiny feature" from the users view. But if there are problems with implementation it in a usefull way , or problems with e.g. Steam workshop and it will not be implemented for some reaons, then they are called liars again.
So its better to release just 100% reliable informations.

Everything is just a "tiny feature" from the users view. But if there are problems with implementation it in a usefull way , or problems with e.g. Steam workshop and it will not be implemented for some reaons, then they are called liars again.
So its better to release just 100% reliable informations.
Exactly, that is my point. So it's either not in or not in yet.

@IanBell @The_American During replay, will we have additional onboard cameras (interior and exterior) to choose from?
Yeah, was just testing this last night doing a review of Long Beach (artists did a really good job) and then i watched the replay of my hotlap. Yeah you can choose the TV cameras or several on-board cameras. The TV-style overlays (which can turned off) make things look lot more professional.

Yeah, was just testing this last night doing a review of Long Beach (artists did a really good job) and then i watched the replay of my hotlap. Yeah you can choose the TV cameras or several on-board cameras. The TV-style overlays (which can turned off) make things look lot more professional.
Since we're on the subject, I'll grab the opportunity to ask you this (which wasn't answered at the time).

Since we're on the subject, I'll grab the opportunity to ask you this (which wasn't answered at the time).
For instant replays the 2min cap is still there today, but I was just talking to the programmer last week and we are thinking of increasing this potentially (Nords and our A-B tracks can be up to like 10 mins depending on car/driver). So we're still investigating this one (and why I did not answer earlier). Trust me, i read every post here daily (some multiple times). No questions is missed, only some cannot be answered now.

For instant replays the 2min cap is still there today, but I was just talking to the programmer last week and we are thinking of increasing this potentially (Nords and our A-B tracks can be up to like 10 mins depending on car/driver). So we're still investigating this one (and why I did not answer earlier). Trust me, i read every post here daily (some multiple times). No questions is missed, only some cannot be answered now.
That's good to know. Hope you can stretch that time a bit.

And no worries for not answering before - in fact, I asked Ian directly.

Thank you. 👍

@The_American Does your like on my post mean I nailed the amount of replay time? Awesome!

Also, another question for you and @IanBell : during replays, will we have static cameras around the track, so we can watch the race as if we were a spectator on the stands or near a barrier, watching the cars blast by and watch them echo away as they come closer and then move far away?
Now that's something I've always wanted in a racing game. Having been to daytona speedway during the Rolex 24, it would be nice if there was a camera mode called audience view or something where it's viewed from the stands. In person it's just on another level watching GT and prototype cars blast by at 170mph

Now that's something I've always wanted in a racing game. Having been to daytona speedway during the Rolex 24, it would be nice if there was a camera mode called audience view or something where it's viewed from the stands. In person it's just on another level watching GT and prototype cars blast by at 170mph
Unlikely but that sounds like a really cool idea!

Latest Posts

Back