Qualifying great. Racing not so much

Bad at racing as bad racecraft - you don't know when to let people pass you or when to overtake or bad as "the car feels different during racing"....

if it is the first - watch racing replays of good players (plenty of good GT players stream on YT), read some articles on racecarft maybe and of course practice and race as clean as possible

if it is the second - keep in mind, especially on race C with fuel and tyre wear, that during the start of the race your tyres are cold and your car is full with fuel which makes the handling a bit different compared to qualifying where even though the fuel gauge shows the car is topped up - it is actually not. Usually the topped up fuel + cold tyres are the reason for so many mistakes on Lap 1 - my advice would be to "extend" your braking points a bit and try to be as smooth as possible.

Bad at racing as bad racecraft - you don't know when to let people pass you or when to overtake or bad as "the car feels different during racing"....

if it is the first - watch racing replays of good players (plenty of good GT players stream on YT), read some articles on racecarft maybe and of course practice and race as clean as possible

if it is the second - keep in mind, especially on race C with fuel and tyre wear, that during the start of the race your tyres are cold and your car is full with fuel which makes the handling a bit different compared to qualifying where even though the fuel gauge shows the car is topped up - it is actually not. Usually the topped up fuel + cold tyres are the reason for so many mistakes on Lap 1 - my advice would be to "extend" your braking points a bit and try to be as smooth as possible.
I think I’m to passive and need to be more aggressive but I hate when people hit/bump you purposely. I usually back off the battle. Sr is high 95-99. We won’t mention dr numbers.

When in Qualifying are you doing a lot of laps or just a handful?
If you're doing a lot of laps are the laps consistently within 0.5sec of each other?
Once I learn the car and track. Can’t find that extra second or so

Maybe we can combine our powers, I am hopeless at qualifying and comparatively good at racing
I totally down to run some laps some day.
Not sure how you set that up between individual players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this can help you, I usually like to do 5laps in a Quali session that are within 0.5sec of each other before jumping into a race, this means I'm confident enough to recreate that in the race,

If my lap time are not consistent enough, whether I've done one fast lap or not, then I'll spend more time in Quali before I race

Or is the problem concentration? Personally I think that is the hardest thing to develop!
I’m thinking I need to be more aggressive but don’t like that type of racing.
And yes concentration. Can’t race worth a penny with ANY distraction.

Maybe this can help you, I usually like to do 5laps in a Quali session that are within 0.5sec of each other before jumping into a race, this means I'm confident enough to recreate that in the race,

If my lap time are not consistent enough, whether I've done one fast lap or not, then I'll spend more time in Quali before I race
Try to do the same. Have a problem being passed/hit around by other drivers. I purposely try to drive very clean. I hate hitting for no reason. We all make mistakes but come on. What’s a good sr to maintain? I’m usually s. Idk

Try to do the same. Have a problem being passed/hit around by other drivers. I purposely try to drive very clean. I hate hitting for no reason. We all make mistakes but come on. What’s a good sr to maintain? I’m usually s. Idk

The higher the SR the better but There's nothing you can really do for idiots on track,
Just keep your Radar on and be aware of who's around you, Race B is open to loads of divebombers so maybe avoid that one this week

My simplified thinking is careful for the first couple of corners because as already stated the tyres are cold, the car is heavy and the track is crowded. After that if someone is close behind and trying to get by I prefer to "offer/trap" them into trying to take the outside line round a corner even if that means I have to go off the racing line and run slower.

The higher the SR the better but There's nothing you can really do for idiots on track,
Just keep your Radar on and be aware of who's around you, Race B is open to loads of divebombers so maybe avoid that one this week
Here goes another race b in the Megane
Started and finished 5th. I’m good with that. Practice more with the car and I think I can beat my best

Last edited:
Good at qualifying bad at racing.

It's the other way around for me. Having the freedom of the whole track in a race is a hell of a lot easier than trying to gain a tenth at a time with a stupidly precise qualifying lap.

Last to first racing might be a way to sharpen your skills up though. Plenty of practice with passing/defending against the slower runners and you should gain a fair bit of confidence from it.

It's the other way around for me. Having the freedom of the whole track in a race is a hell of a lot easier than trying to gain a tenth at a time with a stupidly precise qualifying lap.

This is also me. I'm terrible at qualifying. To compound that I'm also pretty terrible in a race for the first 1 or 2 laps. I need a bit of time to build up a rhythm :lol:

I'm trying to improve my qualifying but I always buckle under the pressure and end up starting mid pack.....

This is also me. I'm terrible at qualifying. To compound that I'm also pretty terrible in a race for the first 1 or 2 laps. I need a bit of time to build up a rhythm :lol:

I'm trying to improve my qualifying but I always buckle under the pressure and end up starting mid pack.....
Let’s practice some laps. Few in the front and a few in the back

Qualifying only finds a spot for you in a race. The line you drive will be determined by your competition it is alway changing that’s the race . There no race car drivers to beat When you race the clock and no champagne and no cute girl to tell you are the WINNER.

Qualifying only finds a spot for you in a race. The line you drive will be determined by your competition it is alway changing that’s the race . There no race car drivers to beat When you race the clock and no champagne and no cute girl to tell you are the WINNER.

There is also no one ramming or punting you off and leaving you with a penalty spun around in the sand. Plus the champagne is old cold coffee, while the cute girl is the wife who doesn't like you can't pause a live race.

The best advice I can give you is to pick your time to make a pass, don’t just try and out brake And go barrelling at the first opportunity. Keep you distance from wayward drivers or morons that weave all over the road. Always use your radar and mirrors, keep an eye on who’s behind you. Your radar is the best tool you can use to avoid collisions, don’t be afraid to glance at it mid corner, it’s saved me multiple times.

.....and always wear sunscreen :lol:

There is also no one ramming or punting you off and leaving you with a penalty spun around in the sand.

Good awareness is an integral part of good race craft so if you find you get punted a lot, you have to ask yourself why. I imagine bonnet view and/or a misguided sense of racing honour that the guy behind wouldn't dare try the pass there but you have to be ready for anything.

Speaking of ready for anything, ie low rank racing, how many of you take the time to go hooligan mode with your car to find its (or yours) tipping point? From what I've seen in my own races, car control lets people down the most. Car control should be top of the list for skills. Everything else is gravy when you have car control.

how many of you take the time to go hooligan mode with your car to find its (or yours) tipping point?
It's an interesting question how you should learn a track. I always start by overdriving, constantly dirtying my laps, and gradually reign it all in to just within the limit. ACC doesn't think much of this approach, it tells you to do the opposite, driving really safe laps and gradually speeding up. To me, this is pointless, you need to know where the limits are, and you don't find that out by driving safe.

There is also no one ramming or punting you off and leaving you with a penalty spun around in the sand. Plus the champagne is old cold coffee, while the cute girl is the wife who doesn't like you can't pause a live race.
That so true , but racing a Ghost that can still beat you in a clock race that cold coffee to me. Now let me finish ahead of one driver out of 12 or more In a race of 4 laps that’s makes Cold coffee in to iced champagne for me.
The cute girl and the wife are one in the same If we know what’s good us.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question how you should learn a track. I always start by overdriving, constantly dirtying my laps, and gradually reign it all in to just within the limit. ACC doesn't think much of this approach, it tells you to do the opposite, driving really safe laps and gradually speeding up. To me, this is pointless, you need to know where the limits are, and you don't find that out by driving safe.

David Perel did a video saying that's exactly how he learns tracks in real life. He overdrives the car just over the limit of grip and then winds it back in. A much faster way of finding the limits (so long as you don't crash :lol:).

David Perel did a video saying that's exactly how he learns tracks in real life. He overdrives the car just over the limit of grip and then winds it back in. A much faster way of finding the limits (so long as you don't crash :lol:).
How can You determine what the driver in front of you is going to do in any moment in racing when your reaction is what you see in front of you . Get a life racing is a moment not something you can predict . Knowing your race car is the holly grail.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question how you should learn a track.

I'm talking more about the car's physics and testing it's limits as well as building muscle memory for when it gets a bit wild. Using all the track, late on the brakes and early on the power sort of thing.

You definitely get the limit drilled into your head for how hard you can push and it's seriously good fun to practice with all of the track to play with.

Good awareness is an integral part of good race craft so if you find you get punted a lot, you have to ask yourself why. I imagine bonnet view and/or a misguided sense of racing honour that the guy behind wouldn't dare try the pass there but you have to be ready for anything.

Speaking of ready for anything, ie low rank racing, how many of you take the time to go hooligan mode with your car to find its (or yours) tipping point? From what I've seen in my own races, car control lets people down the most. Car control should be top of the list for skills. Everything else is gravy when you have car control.

Not punted or bump but straight sent to the after life. Ready for next week. Idk guess I could be a bad racer. I understand track positions and try not block unless you’ve been a dick.

Last edited:
I'm talking more about the car's physics and testing it's limits as well as building muscle memory for when it gets a bit wild. Using all the track, late on the brakes and early on the power sort of thing.

You definitely get the limit drilled into your head for how hard you can push and it's seriously good fun to practice with all of the track to play with.

My full support for this, mate 👍:) !

My full support for this, mate 👍:) !
Had a little more luck today after this. Thank you all. I’m pretty sure I have to just be aggressive rather than politely moving out of the way. Seems to work a little better but sr went from99-87 I think

Can you up a race with one or two or three players just trying to learn not win.

I enjoy clean close races and I’m decent at it. It’s all about started 1-3 and purposely being slammed into oblivion first-second chance a dirty player gets the chance. Been adjusting driving lines and not giving in pressure.

Idk guess I could be a bad racer. I understand track positions and try not block unless you’ve been a dick.

Which is more important? Getting on with the race after a near miss or incident to try and limit any damage it caused or getting your own back on some dick who is guaranteed to want to repay the favour?

I’m pretty sure I have to just be aggressive rather than politely moving out of the way. Seems to work a little better but sr went from99-87 I think

Defending aggressively? Defending should be plain to see and offer enough time for the driver behind to be able to adjust to it. Getting aggressive with defending has got all sorts of scenarios going through my head and most of them are guaranteed to wind up the driver you're defending against.

Back