Qualifying Scam?

• Thread starter Mike Walsh
  • 20 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've been racing in the one make series at Tokyo and have done a huge number of qualifying laps. With the car at top speed and all the corners mastered I have managed just under 3 mins 4 seconds. Yet I see people with qualifying times of 2:59. I cannot believe that anyone could do a lap 5 seconds faster than mine. Am I missing something, or is there a way to cheat at this?

I've been racing in the one make series at Tokyo and have done a huge number of qualifying laps. With the car at top speed and all the corners mastered I have managed just under 3 mins 4 seconds. Yet I see people with qualifying times of 2:59. I cannot believe that anyone could do a lap 5 seconds faster than mine. Am I missing something, or is there a way to cheat at this?
Daily Race A in the Copen, right?
Never go past 7500 rpm. There's very little power at the top of the rpm range.

Also, your question belongs in this thread.

The first step is looking at replays of the top 10 times and seeing what they're doing that you're not.

Post a video of your best lap, I’d be happy to help your out where I can, there is definitely more time available to you. Make sure you shift the car at 7,500 RPM, the power really dies off after that point.

This is my best lap so far, a 2:58.5, hopefully this will be helpful to you as well. :cheers:

Daily Race A in the Copen, right?
Never go past 7500 rpm. There's very little power at the top of the rpm range.

Also, your question belongs in this thread.
Ok. I've been going to the top of the RPM. I'll give it a go

Are you using AT?
Not sure what AT is.

Post a video of your best lap, I’d be happy to help your out where I can, there is definitely more time available to you. Make sure you shift the car at 7,500 RPM, the power really dies off after that point.

This is my best lap so far, a 2:58.5, hopefully this will be helpful to you as well. :cheers:

I'll take a look, thanks. How do I post a video of my own lap?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a look, thanks. How do I post a video of my own lap?

No worries, happy to help man. :cheers:

Set up a YouTube page, all you need is to create a gmail address and then sign into YouTube with it and that parts done. Then link your YouTube to your PS4 through its settings menu. Your PlayStation records the last 15 minutes of game play automatically but it’s can be set up to 30 minutes, so once your YouTube is linked you just hit the share button and trim the video you want to upload. :)

This is just a video I found on YouTube, it’s not me. :)

No worries, happy to help man. :cheers:

Set up a YouTube page, all you need is to create a gmail address and then sign into YouTube with it and that parts done. Then link your YouTube to your PS4 through its settings menu. Your PlayStation records the last 15 minutes of game play automatically but it’s can be set up to 30 minutes, so once your YouTube is linked you just hit the share button and trim the video you want to upload. :)

This is just a video I found on YouTube, it’s not me. :)

OK thanks, much appreciated

Thanks to all. Just improved my time by 2 secs!
One more question, then I'll shut up. How did you know that 7,500 was the optimum rpm to change?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks, much appreciated

Thanks to all. Just improved my time by 2 secs!
One more question, then I'll shut up. How did you know that 7,500 was the optimum rpm to change?
If you put your cursor on the power settings in the setup screen, the car’s power curve (power and torque relative to RPM) will show up. The ideal shift points are around the peak of the curve. :)

Question is, how did they know?
Click the car icon in the garage to see the rpm values for max torque and power. These will be helpful as reference points:

View media item 49897
Then, like @GT5Power said, click on Car Settings and move the cursor down to the power or weight icon.
The torque and power curve will show up in the top right corner:

View media item 49899
As you can see the grid isn't properly marked but we have 4 reference points - peak torque @ 3000 rpm, peak power @ 6400 rpm and the start and end points of the grid @ 1500 rpm and 9000 rpm. If you look closely at the curves you can see that they're made up of straight lines. These lines cover a range of 500 rpm each. Every time the slope changes marks a 500 rpm point.

Using this information you can approximate quite accurately the optimal rpm to up shift.

Ha ha. Deja vu, Mike. This was my post on Monday morning.

I did a bunch of Q laps at race A, this morning. I didn't look at the leaderboard before I started. I finally got a lap that I felt was as fast as I could go. Then I stopped lapping so I could look at my time in the top 10. :cool:

Those dudes were 5 seconds ahead of me. Huh? :confused: Impossible. No way. How the hell are they cheating?

I decided to watch the replay of Lester's lap to see what those guy's are up to. Right away, I saw something weird. When his lap began, he was at 111 mph. My car wouldn't go over 104 mph. Then I saw it. The gear he was using is called 5th. What the 🤬? :banghead:

I thought it was a 4-speed transmission, the whole time. :dunce: :lol::lol::lol:

Eventually I got to 2:59.0. Keep at it. 👍

Click the car icon in the garage to see the rpm values for max torque and power. These will be helpful as reference points:

View media item 49897
Then, like @GT5Power said, click on Car Settings and move the cursor down to the power or weight icon.

View media item 49899
As you can see the grid isn't properly marked but we have 4 reference points - peak torque @ 3000 rpm, peak power @ 6400 rpm and the start and end points of the grid @ 1500 rpm and 9000 rpm. If you look closely at the curves you can see that they're made up of straight lines. These lines cover a range of 500 rpm each. Every time the slope changes marks a 500 rpm point.

Using this information you can approximate quite accurately the optimal rpm to up shift.
Thanks a lot Vegard. You explained that so well even I understood it.

Ha ha. Deja vu, Mike. This was my post on Monday morning.

Eventually I got to 2:59.0. Keep at it. 👍
Nice one Sturk0

View media item 49897

View media item 49899

I've never thought to look at that. :dunce:

Back