Qualifying ONLINE: How should they impliment it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TriplePlay
  • 32 comments
  • 1,423 views

How should they impliment qualifying Online in GT4?


  • Total voters
    58
Messages
660
Everybody knows that before a race they have to qualify to place themselves in a good position to win. I think that they should have qualifying because some people would complain that they were put in a bad spot and they were better than that. I know I would. I personally think that a player should get 5 laps on a track that's short, 1 lap on the nurb to qualify in a good position. Anything more than that would be too much. But they must allow people to qualify against each other. Post your thoughts and comments here!
 
You practice in your own time. Just 1 lap for qualifying. From standstill start to finish. But as you didn't add that option, I'll vote for 2 laps.
 
And you didn't have "host defined" either.

I'd like to be able to dictate how many qualifying laps are allowed.
 
randomly. wheres that option.

qualifying should only be when playing for real money. its just a game. if yore quicker youre quicker. prove it on the course.

if youre about equal race against each other and figure it out. no need for hysterics.
 
the only way in which qualifying wouldn't matter is if you compare lap times. Another option for online play; simultanious time trial.
 
I think it would be cool if you just did your own time trials offline and then you could upload those times to the system, then when you go and enter a online race the system takes yours and the other players best recorded times for that track and ranks you like that.
 
I agree that you should practice on your own time, so I voted for three laps. One to warm up, the second to screw up on and the third to remember how you screwed up and nail it.
 
Mines_96Legacy
I think it would be cool if you just did your own time trials offline and then you could upload those times to the system, then when you go and enter a online race the system takes yours and the other players best recorded times for that track and ranks you like that.

That was pretty much what I thought at first but then I realised it wouldn't work very well. You'd have to lay down a good time on every track with every car in every possible tuned state, lets not forget you'll be racing differently tuned cars. If you do a stunning lap on that track in an F1 car and in a Skyline R34 lets say.. then you go online and race your Skyline, but it's tuned differently.. imo neither of your previous best laps should count as it's effectively a different car your racing.

The options should be: Qualifying yes/no.. qualifying should be 1 hot lap start to finish, it can either be with a rolling start as in some licenses and like Free Run mode on GT3... or with a standing start... again those should be options chosen by the race host... For special races and special occasions it will be up to the hosts again, they may want to have qualifying the day before a tournament or whatever...
 
oh yea... i guess that would only work if you were using the stock cars that you can access in arcade mode, c class b class etc.
 
If qualifying makes to the online mode of GT4, it will probably be "host defines" . I think thats the best option.
 
I think it should be set by the host, out of thoes options I chose 3 laps, however I think a better solution would be to set a time like 10 or 15 mins to setup your car and qualify, remember most players will have done the majority of tweaks and settings in the single player so you probably won't spend much time in the settings options and then run as many laps as you can in the time thats left and see whats your best at least that way if someone wants to take forever and keeps everyone waiting his time will run out.
 
I think 1 lap is enough, it really wont make that much difference if you are fast anyway.
 
I wished GTP had the option to edit your polls. That would be helpful here. Cuz now I agree with the "Host Defines" option.
 
I think it should be done by TIME, not laps. The Qualifying session should go for between 10 and 15 minutes depending on what track it is, this way it gives people a nice chance of going their fastest. Also i believe if you are able to pit and muck around with setups this layout gives you a better amount of time to better a setup.
 
I think long qualifying session will just make one game too long. I propose a 2 Heat race.

First Heat: random grid (less laps)
Second Heat: Reverse Grid of first heat positions (more laps).
 
Lots of interesting systems here, i like the 2 heat idea, but what is the logic of the first heat being shorter?
 
So of you say to race right away but it kinda of isnt fair if i started first and all u stared in like 6th or 5th....
 
I vote Power to Weight ratio too. I like how Best Motoring does it so it's usually the fastest guys last. But of course this would be an option cuz most people wouldn't understand the logic in this method. More conventionally I say one lap qualifier.
 
In single player qualifying is mostly pointless. I like qualifying but as GT has AI "slow down" and "catch up" in the AI competition qualifying is pointless. When you're slow AI slows down and when you're fast AI picks up the pace, making a few car lengths in qualifying pretty pointless.

Should be included for online, but confined to 1 hot lap, with rolling start so that gameplay is not delayed, with time out of say 3 minutes (except the nurb).
 
BROCKY
I think it should be done by TIME, not laps. The Qualifying session should go for between 10 and 15 minutes depending on what track it is, this way it gives people a nice chance of going their fastest. Also i believe if you are able to pit and muck around with setups this layout gives you a better amount of time to better a setup.

I'd have to go for this system. The race would be due to start at a certain time, say on the hour, and qualifying begins 15mins before. You would see the time to beat come up on your screen, and the name of the driver. A timer would show how much qualifying you have left, and when it runs out you are taken to the grid.

If you thought this would make the race too long, then just turn up late and start at the back. :) Power to weight would only work if the cars were different ;) If two or three people were in identical cars, what would dictate the order?

Although what about traffic whilst qualifying? Dodgy tactics like holding up a close competitor on a hot lap to preserve your pole position might creep in :crazy:
 
I would definately hate it if you didn't have the option to qualify before a race online.
 
I prefer the time limit to qualify, say 15-20 mins. To keep a**holes from holding people up, all cars are ghosts. To change settings, you pit. If you think it's too long, show up late.
 
(G)
I prefer the time limit to qualify, say 15-20 mins. To keep a**holes from holding people up, all cars are ghosts. To change settings, you pit. If you think it's too long, show up late.


All cars ghosts! Of course :) That would prevent drafting as well 👍
 
Actually, I think GT3's qualifying fielding system would work well. But I wouldn't object to ghost cars.
 
I like the idea of having a set time for a race to begin. That way you could practice in single player offline, log on around 20 min before the race, then qualify, then race. There could be a totally arcade mode too where casual players could just enter and race with random grids.
 
There should be a time trial like there is on PGR2. You race offline and you can upload your best time/have the times tracked on a leader board where everyone can view it. 👍
 
Back