Question on TV Card

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 44 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Guys, I'm thinking about picking up a TV card for the PC - do you have to get a graphics card with that option, or can you get it as a stand-alone card. There's an Nvidia GEForce 2 in there now, which doesn't have the TV option on it.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and comments.

Odd to say that, I just picked one up today.

Its a ATI Wonder TV card, and its pretty good.

It has a Coax Cable in, and one of the yellow RCA vid inputs.

I doubt they make vid capture and vid cards combined.

Your best bet is to get a seperate card.

the Wonder was $50.

ATI All in Wonder does everything. it's video and video capture as well as TV tuner etc..etc..
but yea, an add-on like the wonder would probably be the way to go. but then again, an upgrade for your 3D card wouldn't hurt, so an ATI All in wonder with the Radeon 8500 would be a nice upgrade, or if u got $$ hangin out ur bung, grab the newest (and amazingly good) All in Wonder with the 9700 Pro. enjoy :)
oh oh, i just remember, u have concept. record some nice footage 4 meh :D i wanna see HOT cars.

Originally posted by Angel O'Death
ATI All in Wonder does everything. it's video and video capture as well as TV tuner etc..etc..
but yea, an add-on like the wonder would probably be the way to go. but then again, an upgrade for your 3D card wouldn't hurt, so an ATI All in wonder with the Radeon 8500 would be a nice upgrade, or if u got $$ hangin out ur bung, grab the newest (and amazingly good) All in Wonder with the 9700 Pro. enjoy :)
oh oh, i just remember, u have concept. record some nice footage 4 meh :D i wanna see HOT cars.
Well, I just bought a house, so the add-on looks the way to go. I've heard some good things on the Leadtek too.

So, what does a video card do??? (I'm am a newbie in these areas, so please help me out. Our previous computer was a pentium II so we never put anything on it and recently we bought a top of the range laptop, so it is compatible with everything)

A video card displays video on your monitor, without one, you wouldn't be able to see anything on your monitor. It also processes 3D data so that the CPU doesn't have to do that work itself.

Originally posted by MistaX
Odd to say that, I just picked one up today.

Its a ATI Wonder TV card, and its pretty good.

It has a Coax Cable in, and one of the yellow RCA vid inputs.

I doubt they make vid capture and vid cards combined.

Your best bet is to get a seperate card.

the Wonder was $50.

Weird - I think I saw the same card in Wally World yesterday. I'll have to pick up one for myself pretty soon.

For $50 it's better than a no-name capture card, I'm sure. Supposedly ATi is one of the best cards for video stuff (DVD, etc.).

At the moment I have a Hauppage WinTV theatre card shoved in my crappo PC!

It has S-Video in connections, radio, coax, the works.

It captures video great as you might know if you see my GTC vids :D

And to think it works this well on a machine made in 1998!

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
At the moment I have a Hauppage WinTV theatre card shoved in my crappo PC!

It has S-Video in connections, radio, coax, the works.

It captures video great as you might know if you see my GTC vids :D

And to think it works this well on a machine made in 1998!

Well, I can't have you posting GT Concept movies alone, can I?

so, if i bought one how would i get my videos onto my pc (sorry fort the questions)

and vat_man, which shop did you get yours from???

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
so, if i bought one how would i get my videos onto my pc (sorry fort the questions)

and vat_man, which shop did you get yours from???

Haven't got one yet - Harveys carry a couple of brands that are really expensive, but I have seen the Leadtek and the Netgear cards available on-line at prices that roughly equate to the conversion of the US price - and my experience with Netgear stuff has generally been pretty good.

I've got the ATI TV Wonder USB, and it was decent when it actually worked. ATI's driver support is horrible when it comes to components that don't sell well.
Nvidia has horrible video capture quality, with the exception of a new Personal Cinema GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB . I hear it's really good.
ATI has always made great video capture cards, Pako has one and will attest to it's quality I am sure. (Bundled with the video cards which do get decent driver support.)
Stay away from Dazzle at all costs.
Tell us what you get, I'm interest in tossing my TV wonder USB out the window in favor of pretty much anything that won't lock my PC up.
the Hauppauge cards that have TV tuners have a nice feature, and that is a downloadable (not from the company itself) program to descramble pay TV. I don't know how that works in Australia, but here in the US, many people make stealing cable a national past time greater than Mom, baseball, and apple pie.

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
I've got the ATI TV Wonder USB, and it was decent when it actually worked. ATI's driver support is horrible when it comes to components that don't sell well.
Nvidia has horrible video capture quality, with the exception of a new Personal Cinema GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB . I hear it's really good.
ATI has always made great video capture cards, Pako has one and will attest to it's quality I am sure. (Bundled with the video cards which do get decent driver support.)
Stay away from Dazzle at all costs.
Tell us what you get, I'm interest in tossing my TV wonder USB out the window in favor of pretty much anything that won't lock my PC up.
the Hauppauge cards that have TV tuners have a nice feature, and that is a downloadable (not from the company itself) program to descramble pay TV. I don't know how that works in Australia, but here in the US, many people make stealing cable a national past time greater than Mom, baseball, and apple pie.

Tom - you might want to look into after-market drivers for the ATI card - a number of reviews blasted the driver software that came with the card, but indicated they got good results with aftermarket drivers.

Originally posted by vat_man

Tom - you might want to look into after-market drivers for the ATI card - a number of reviews blasted the driver software that came with the card, but indicated they got good results with aftermarket drivers.

Around July 4th the finally released non beta drivers for windows XP (took their sweet time.) and it actually fixed absolutely nothing. That's why I'm leery of ATI. :(

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Around July 4th the finally released non beta drivers for windows XP (took their sweet time.) and it actually fixed absolutely nothing. That's why I'm leery of ATI. :(

Dude, I freaking hate ATI. They've given me nothing but greif. If you want a high performance 3D card for gaming, go to NVidia. If you want a card for dual-head, go to Matrox. If you want something for video capture, I suggest Hauppauge - my friends say it's good stuff, though I've never had the opportunity.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by vat_man

Actually, I was referring to my co-moderating the Automotive forum, but thanks anyway! :lol:

... And I was refering to the quote of -nothing- by the -unnamed member- (:

So I guess ... no I don't guess. Nevermind!

~LoudMusic

Back