Quick SVG question...

United Kingdom
London
N. vonMarshall
Hello
I am trying to do my own simple SVGs just using standard fonts available in Adobe Illustrator. All I want to do is save decals for things like driver name or singe words.

To get the best result, does anyone know what size (pixels or mm) I should set up Adobe Illustrator for if there will be c 20 characters maximum per decal in the largest font I can use. For instance, I want to create my GT ID which is "N. von Marshall" and I will be looking to make 5-10 variations in different standard fonts. Although the driver names are small on a car, there will be some decals I make which will need to run the length of the car so want to max out the quality.

Secondly, I seem to have the option to start with a "letter" or "postcard" or "web" name... which one is best or does it not make a difference?

Any advice for a complete novice would be great!

Thanks

Thats the thing with vectors, the pixels/mms dont matter (that much as far as I know, I'm not a complete expert before anyone slaughters me).
You can enlarge these without any loss of quality.

I always use Web-Large.
Another tip for creating text and have it usable in GT7: always select the text and do Create Outlines or else it wont work. Shft+Ctrl+O is the shortkey for it.

Last edited:
Unlike Raster based images where the size of the image is defined in pixels/megapxiels, etc.
Vector is based on math and geometry so you can make a logo the size of a postage stamp or the size of a billboard and it will still have the same quality.
So make the image at a size you are comfortable with, but keep with in the file size limits.

Last edited:
Thanks... I'll experiment with this. I have been searching YouTube and all the tutorials I can find are for more advanced brand / logo work.

Is there anything nice and simple out there! I am overwhelmed by all of the options in Illustrator and don't really know what most of them mean!

thanks... I had a look at that but could only see ways to convert images I found online and not simply convert my own letters.

Works the same in AI

Latest Posts

Back