User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
I got one to work!! Will it be black or can i change colors? I'm just gonna try it. Thanks very much big time guys!!

👍

It'll be whatever colour you made it in inkscape, but you can re-colour it in game.

As Nuschel01 recommends, if it's showing up blank, perhaps try and cut and paste it into a new document before saving.

I've had it too sometimes with inkscape, I don't know what causes it... but I don't use inkscape very often!

Hello all. Hope you guys are doing well.

I'm trying to create a carbon fibre wing blade holder with Inkscape 0.92 for the Series 8 RX-7 to achieve this look:

This is done with one of the publicly shared carbon fibre sheet masked with, oh I dunno, about 35 shapes on each side of the wing because the RX-7 is super curvaceous and the decal editor freaks the heck out when dealing with curves. Of course, needless to say this isn't very accurate, and the blue masking on the wing isn't exactly the body colour, which irritates me to no end.

So, I've (badly) traced out the outline of the wing blade holder as shown below.

The problem is, when I take a carbon fibre weave decal png and Clip -> Set it with the wing, the exported svg file is way too huge for reasons I don't understand (47kb svg, 45kb optimised svg). I tried to Trace Bitmap the carbon fibre decal, but doing that freezes Inkscape with just 3 colours, and 2 colours just gives me a flat grey rectangle.

I tried to link instead of embed the carbon decal png when importing into Inkscape. Used together with the Bezier traced outline it does give a very nice 4KB svg... that GT Sport's website claims is "invalid" :banghead: The svg can be found here.

I tried dumping both svgs into SVGOMG, but for some weird reason neither of them show up on the site. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong, so I'm at a total loss for what to do.

Attached are the settings of the Trace Bitmap. I've... no idea what most of these mean, I just find these to give me the best results most of the time with trail and error. If it helps any, the svg of the wing blade holder I traced with Bezier Curves can be found here. I'm very new to svgs and not very good with computers in general, so any help and patience is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• tracer1.png
    tracer1.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 25
  • tracer2.png
    tracer2.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180412235428.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180412235428.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 6278612732001419280_1.png
    6278612732001419280_1.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 26
Hello all. Hope you guys are doing well.

I'm trying to create a carbon fibre wing blade holder with Inkscape 0.92 for the Series 8 RX-7 to achieve this look:

This is done with one of the publicly shared carbon fibre sheet masked with, oh I dunno, about 35 shapes on each side of the wing because the RX-7 is super curvaceous and the decal editor freaks the heck out when dealing with curves. Of course, needless to say this isn't very accurate, and the blue masking on the wing isn't exactly the body colour, which irritates me to no end.

So, I've (badly) traced out the outline of the wing blade holder as shown below.

The problem is, when I take a carbon fibre weave decal png and Clip -> Set it with the wing, the exported svg file is way too huge for reasons I don't understand (47kb svg, 45kb optimised svg). I tried to Trace Bitmap the carbon fibre decal, but doing that freezes Inkscape with just 3 colours, and 2 colours just gives me a flat grey rectangle.

I tried to link instead of embed the carbon decal png when importing into Inkscape. Used together with the Bezier traced outline it does give a very nice 4KB svg... that GT Sport's website claims is "invalid" :banghead: The svg can be found here.

I tried dumping both svgs into SVGOMG, but for some weird reason neither of them show up on the site. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong, so I'm at a total loss for what to do.

Attached are the settings of the Trace Bitmap. I've... no idea what most of these mean, I just find these to give me the best results most of the time with trail and error. If it helps any, the svg of the wing blade holder I traced with Bezier Curves can be found here. I'm very new to svgs and not very good with computers in general, so any help and patience is very much appreciated. Thank you!

One simple point to make, is that you cannot have any Bitmap/Raster file in a compliant SVG file. So that means you can't link or embed any PNG, JPG, GIF etc. to/in the file, it just won't work in the context of GTSport.

You need a Carbon Texture SVG file, then you can 'stamp out' your wing end plate from that. I've just taken the liberty of doing that, but it uses a technique inspired by @BLiTZ's excellent CF decal, so it's not a simple job to explain quite how it works.... It's a carbon weave but it allows for the underlying colour to show through to you can do coloured or bodycolour CF as well if you want to...

DavnKP_XkAA4O8j.jpg:large

So, for you... put the attached "... plain" decal on first, colour it grey (or whatever), then put the ".... CF decal over it.

both files are in the attached zip... let me know how you get on with it.

Attachments

• rx7.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 37
I've cooked up a good tip that might help people.

I know we often talk about resizing the canvas to the size of a decal for optimal use in the game, but lately I've been experimenting with doing the opposite and using smaller shapes on a larger canvas to allow me to create consistently sized elements to be used the same or multiple liveries. Sometimes you want decals to be the same size on various parts of the car (things like series tyre suppliers or tow arrows) and it's hard to scale them accurately, especially when they're placed on different parts of the car that come under different camera angles.

As we all know, when you place any decal (shape or logo) it starts at the same size meaning you have to scale it down. By creating a smaller shape in a larger square canvas, the game renders the logo according to the width of the document rather than the shape resulting in a smaller decal, so if you get the proportions right (The easiest way to do that is to make the decal 'normally' and place it over one of the game's default square shapes and use that as a guide) you can create a series of decals that you can just place on one or more cars without needing to scale them.

I'm planning on using this technique for things I use a lot (kill switches, tow arrows, panel release clip arrows) and making what I need when I get the time to work out what scales I want. But the same technique can be applied to things like series number boards that you want consistently sized across multiple panels or cars.

Obviously it will only work for things that you want to be smaller than the default decal size but I just thought I'd share this and see if people find it useful.

Can anyone help me to upload this pic to the sticker editor. I'm pretty much a real noob in these things

Attachments

• da manu 2.jpg
    da manu 2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
Can anyone help me to upload this pic to the sticker editor. I'm pretty much a real noob in these things
There is actually a separate thread for svg requests here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/livery-svg-request-thread.367463/
The picture was a bit on the small side to recreate but the font was standard so not to bad to add text. I've made it in the svg format you need. If you can unzip the file and upload it at https://www.gran-turismo.com/ would be great . If you need me to do it and share in game just message me.
Looks like this.
da manu.png

Attachments

• damanu.zip
    7 KB · Views: 18
p78
I thought i could figure it out myself, but apparantly not.

i get the error msg, invalid .svg file.

so obviously i'm doing something wrong in inkscape.

i'm trying out this first, because it's so simple

http://www.hetanker.be/sites/defaul...ic/Logo_GoudenCarolusTripel.png?itok=g7ZryELS

any help would be appreciated

If you are just pasting the PNG into inkscape and saving it, it will not work. If you are 'tracing' it automatically in inkscape, but then leaving the PNG in the file too it will not work.

The file just needs to be lines, shapes and fills... it can't have bitmap or raster files embedded.

Also, make sure you are saving it as Plain SVG.

p78
I thought i could figure it out myself, but apparantly not.

i get the error msg, invalid .svg file.

so obviously i'm doing something wrong in inkscape.

i'm trying out this first, because it's so simple

http://www.hetanker.be/sites/defaul...ic/Logo_GoudenCarolusTripel.png?itok=g7ZryELS

any help would be appreciated
Hint use the image you have and upload in google image search. I got this as a similar image .
carolus.png

This gives Inkscape a better chance of a clean [trace bitmap] We are just missing the word "tripel".
As you can see the horse is fairly involved and has many nodes with the trace making the file size way too big.
To help you out I seperated the horse (this still needed to be run through SVGOMG with a precision of 1)
and the text and lines like your original picture (minus the tripel) in another. which is just under the 15 kb limit.
A hand trace where you place all nodes yourself could possibly get a reasonable single decal but would take several hours.

Check the svgs in the zip file. I have not tested them but the 2 smaller ones should be up loadable.(The big file is where I changed color and size of things to match your original )
If you can get the word tripel scanned and added to the txt only svg it would need to be shrunk with SVGOMG. https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/
Hope this helps. If not it probably just sounds like gibberish.

Edit : Just grab the 2partdecal.zip. Unzip and upload both ( "tripel" was in a fairly standard font. so I added that.)
carolus.png

Attachments

• carolus.zip
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2partdecal.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I dont suppose there is a way to leave the livery the same and just change the base color/colors of the car is there??? It seems like that would be a very easy way to have sort of unique cars.

I want to make a decal for my drift "team" but i cannot get along with Adobe Illustrator, can somebody help please? Thank you :cheers:

Attachments

• banner.png
    banner.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 16
I want to make a decal for my drift "team" but i cannot get along with Adobe Illustrator, can somebody help please? Thank you :cheers:

Remember this is a tutorial thread, for your questions and needs on how to make decals, requests are in another thread 👍

Remember this is a tutorial thread, for your questions and needs on how to make decals, requests are in another thread 👍

Yes i know, my bad. It wasn't on purpose as i was "fighting" with the program and could'nt think of a way to make it. I guess i'm getting too old for this 🤬

Yes i know, my bad. It wasn't on purpose as i was "fighting" with the program and could'nt think of a way to make it. I guess i'm getting too old for this 🤬

Illustrator is quite top heavy I think, if you're not familiar with the way it works I'd imagine it would be pretty daunting.

inkscape is free and the process for making text based decals is really quick.

For anyone wanting to do a text SVG. in a few steps. Totally free and no programs to download.
1 Go to Let me Font. Type in your text and pick a font. Click on the text on the right and download as a .eps file
2 Go to Convert eps to svg. upload your .eps file and download a .svg file.
3 Go to SVGOMG. load your .svg and adjust settings so file is under 15kb (may not need shrinking but can help to stop invisible decals). Then save .svg
4 Go to GT Sport website. Login with PSN settings. Click Decal uploader. Load svg
5 Load GTSport on your PS4 and use your new decal.

If you still have problems at least you can provide decal makers with an esp file or very minimum a Font name.

Last edited by a moderator:
So im trying to upload some decals for a spawn wrap i'm working on but i'm having a bit of trouble uploading this one decal as its over 15kb. Through all the copies i've made, after using a site, luckily after messing around with some methods I was able to get one file a little over 15kb.

Can anyone help me?

So im trying to upload some decals for a spawn wrap i'm working on but i'm having a bit of trouble uploading this one decal as its over 15kb. Through all the copies i've made, after using a site, luckily after messing around with some methods I was able to get one file a little over 15kb.

Can anyone help me?
Did you trace it manually or automatically? Did you group some layers together? Have you considered breaking the decal into two parts? What site did you use? Did you try SVGOMG in the OP?

Sorry about all questions and no answers. It's useful to know beforehand.

Back