R18 gameplay, pics, and thoughts of improvement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swagger897
  • 43 comments
  • 5,558 views

Swagger897

On A Sekrit Mishun
Premium
Messages
6,425
United States
KCCO
Soooooo, a lot of us here on the forum have been waiting for Red Sonja and it looks like we got her and the older brother, AND a special 15th package for some. Whenever the first one of us with gameplay gets to upload it, or even finds info, please try to see if you can link it or upload to here.

Also give thoughts of how the TDI Ultra can be remodeled to the e-Tron for a later DLC, or any other info with regards.. It's quite the expensive car to get so I image someone is saving up for it right now. Unfortunately as school winds down to the end of the year, for some us, we are presented with finals (main reason I opened this thread)

Reply with a picture of Red Sonja (car or the cartoon) as well to see how many people were waiting for this to come to GT5 or other reasons.
 
One thing wrong in GT5 was the downforce level of lmps. They should be making more than the formula cars and the way they use tires was very unrealistic as well. My favorite types of cars are lmp's. Ever since I was younger seeing the TS020 and Mercedes CLR, I always was a fan. I share your sentiments op, hopefully they do these cars justice with the new physics and such!
 
I'm really looking forward to finding out more about the r18. I also wonder if any significant changes have been relating to the handling of the r10, because of what I thought was a poorly portrayed car in gt5.
 
This may be a bit off-topic but do you guys remember the names Audi gave to the three R18 TDIs that year? I remember one being Diesela, the other being Red Sonja...and...UGHHH I CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!
 
The first generation was not the best in handling, but in gt5 it was horrible compared to other lmp's.
 
This may be a bit off-topic but do you guys remember the names Audi gave to the three R18 TDIs that year? I remember one being Diesela, the other being Red Sonja...and...UGHHH I CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!
Diesels was from Alan, T.K., and Dindo right?
 
You did post a thread about gameplay and pics without any videos or pictures so I was being sarcastic because I dont have a clue what you are talking about
 
One thing wrong in GT5 was the downforce level of lmps. They should be making more than the formula cars and the way they use tires was very unrealistic as well. My favorite types of cars are lmp's. Ever since I was younger seeing the TS020 and Mercedes CLR, I always was a fan. I share your sentiments op, hopefully they do these cars justice with the new physics and such!

They don't have more downforce than Formula one cars irl. There is a huge gap between the two
 
One thing wrong in GT5 was the downforce level of lmps. They should be making more than the formula cars and the way they use tires was very unrealistic as well. My favorite types of cars are lmp's. Ever since I was younger seeing the TS020 and Mercedes CLR, I always was a fan. I share your sentiments op, hopefully they do these cars justice with the new physics and such!

CLR: Nasty nasty dangerous car. Late 80's, early 90's was where it was at. Group C's C1 cars, clocking over 250mph down mulsanne!
 
You did post a thread about gameplay and pics without any videos or pictures so I was being sarcastic because I dont have a clue what you are talking about
It's okay... I thought that's what you meant originally. (also thought you were stalking me for a few seconds but ditched that.) It was a suggestion for some... here is my favorite (warning - big):
2012-le-mans-24hours-audi-r18-tdi-hybrid-18.jpg


They don't have more downforce than Formula one cars irl. There is a huge gap between the two
But still, the way that tires last is a complete joke. I remember the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans and they were triple stinting tires mostly, then to do quadruple stints.. Over 3 hours on one set, or 48 laps. I tried on RH with my R10, and 908 (not the Matmut) both to the HP they ran in 08 and barely got to 11 laps.. NOT even a stint. If they want realistic models and such, start with what is touching the road, then work up. I remember after spec 2 the tires went so crap, it wasnt even funny. I prayed they would give us a selection for tire wear and it payed off. Now Im praying that we can get to set how long tires go off on a meter, rather than just Fast, normal, or slow. 48 Laps on RM's should last in a game, not a few laps. There are some serious endurance players out there and we are getting the crumbs from everything else that we've always asked for, but not in the same quantity...
 
Also give thoughts of how the TDI Ultra can be remodeled to the e-Tron for a later DLC, or any other info with regards.. It's quite the expensive car to get so I image someone is saving up for it right now. Unfortunately as school winds down to the end of the year, for some us, we are presented with finals (main reason I opened this thread)

Hopefully there will be some Le Mans DLC closer to the 2014 race.
 
They don't have more downforce than Formula one cars irl. There is a huge gap between the two

Well as there are old Group C cars in GT5, they did have more downforce than F1. Group C was using ground effect.
 
Last edited:
But still, the way that tires last is a complete joke. I remember the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans and they were triple stinting tires mostly, then to do quadruple stints.. Over 3 hours on one set, or 48 laps. I tried on RH with my R10, and 908 (not the Matmut) both to the HP they ran in 08 and barely got to 11 laps.. NOT even a stint. If they want realistic models and such, start with what is touching the road, then work up. I remember after spec 2 the tires went so crap, it wasnt even funny. I prayed they would give us a selection for tire wear and it payed off. Now Im praying that we can get to set how long tires go off on a meter, rather than just Fast, normal, or slow. 48 Laps on RM's should last in a game, not a few laps. There are some serious endurance players out there and we are getting the crumbs from everything else that we've always asked for, but not in the same quantity...

PD are not very good at things like this though, they claim this is a simulation yet there are 1000's of flaws in the game including the way the tyres are. I think the slip stream issue is a lot worse than tyre wear tbh :lol:

Well as there are old Group C cars in GT5, they did have more downforce than F1. Group C was using ground effect.

I said real life lol
 
I am talking about real life. The Group C's had more downforce than the F1's of the time and F1's of today. That's why ground effect was band in F1 in the early/mid 80's as the cornering speeds were so great owing to the downforce, drivers were on the fringes of G-Locking.
 
Current LMPs have higher downforce levels than current F1s. They're slower because they're heavier and because the tyres are much harder.
 
Current LMPs have higher downforce levels than current F1s. They're slower because they're heavier and because the tyres are much harder.

Cool, didn't know about todays as I don't follow it anymore. It's too 'watered down' now and getting worse every year, just as F1 is.
 
F1 is faster because they're 200kg lighter even on full tanks and have around 200hp more. They produce less downforce and more drag because they are open wheel cars. Closed wheels, huge diffusers and wings, underbody aero etc. you can see why lmp's are making huge downforce numbers. Something like 4000-5000lbs.
 
F1 is faster because they're 200kg lighter even on full tanks and have around 200hp more. They produce less downforce and more drag because they are open wheel cars. Closed wheels, huge diffusers and wings, underbody aero etc. you can see why lmp's are making huge downforce numbers. Something like 4000-5000lbs.

Why don't they make open-wheelers, closed-wheelers?
 
F1 is faster because they're 200kg lighter even on full tanks and have around 200hp more. They produce less downforce and more drag because they are open wheel cars. Closed wheels, huge diffusers and wings, underbody aero etc. you can see why lmp's are making huge downforce numbers. Something like 4000-5000lbs.

On late 80's, a good Group C was as much fast as an F1 car. Good times.
 
On late 80's, a good Group C was as much fast as an F1 car. Good times.

In '88 a little faster. '88 was the year turbo's in F1 were banned and the cars much slower untill they got the aerodynamics sorted and more power from the engines.

Obviously, they have always been faster in straight line speed. There's a good video on youtube with Derrick Bell on a slowish lap during qualifying at the 'ring. He's in the Porsche 962, his teamate Stefan Bellof (RIP) blasts past him on a quick lap. He'd previously set the fastest lap on that configuration in the 956 in '83. I believe it's still held to this day.

The F1's would have been faster at the time but I doubt one would have done a full lap without getting damaged or coming off the track with the bumps!
 
Last edited:
In '88 a little faster. '88 was the year turbo's in F1 were banned and the cars much slower untill they got the aerodynamics sorted and more power from the engines.

Obviously, they have always been faster in straight line speed. There's a good video on youtube with Derrick Bell on a slowish lap during qualifying at the 'ring. He's in the Porsche 962, his teamate Stefan Bellof (RIP) blasts past him on a quck lap. He'd previously set the fastest lap on that configuration in the 956 in '83. I believe it's still held to this day.

The F1's would have been faster at the time but I doubt one would have done a full lap without getting damaged or coming off the track with the bumps!

89 was the year.

Raul Boesel is former brazilian driver who raced in F1 and World Sportscar Championship in the 80s (he ended up being champion with Jaguar). He said in a interview once that, in 88, his Jag could make the pole position time in the F1 British GP...

Great times.
 
Well this turned into a bit of an F1 thread but it doesn't bother me..

I did just find that there will be a new (bit ironic however) Peugeot 908 HDi FAP, but it's an all carbon fiber prototype. I assume PD created it to be a competitor to the R18 proto, as they are the same. However, it is the 2010 model, not the 2011. Still the same year that the R18 was testing, but not the same year it was officially revealed.

In other news, there is a video created by Audi Sport about next years program. At the end, there is a quick flash of an LMP zooming by. Assumed to be the 2014 model, some say that it will hold the old R18 name, but with a new suffix. Wish I had the link but I bet it's out there somewhere on fortitude's site. Looks as if Porsche could be 14 seconds too late to beat the competition. Can't wait to see if the TS030 has anymore improvements from the previous years model.
 
The Audi R10 was GT5's worst LMP. Let see what happens with the R18.
It took about three full days if I was timed where I was hitting 3:22's consistently... However, that was on sorts and tires were shredded after three laps.

Then somehow I made a new bogus tune which boosted tires up to six laps, with just 490 hp. Only did 3:27's however. I just want to be able to take the thing into Porsche like a bat outta hell. And I hope they made it super silent too, as I don't car to listen to the exterior noise, only the cockpit
 
The Audi R10 was GT5's worst LMP. Let see what happens with the R18.

But it was a perfect car to the most thrilling 24 hours of Le Mans. In order to win with this thing, consistency, consistency, consistency!
 
But it was a perfect car to the most thrilling 24 hours of Le Mans. In order to win with this thing, consistency, consistency, consistency!
Yup, underdogs take all...

Even though they didn't win monza, or spa, it was good practice
 
The Audi R10 was GT5's worst LMP. Let see what happens with the R18.

The R10 was GT5's worst LMP because it was one of the few ones that was actually modeled relatively correctly (after they fixed the transmission, at least).
 
Last edited:
Back