R18 gameplay, pics, and thoughts of improvement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swagger897
  • 43 comments
  • 5,558 views
The R10 was GT5's worst LMP because it was one of the few ones that was actually modeled relatively correctly (after they fixed the transmission, at least).
Erm... The transmission was never fixed but rather messed up. It always had 6 gears and where the idea for only 5 came from is out of the question..

You can watch the video with Alan McNish doing a hot lap around Le Mans in it and describes speeds you would take into places. Most turns I'm off by 20-30 mph, especially the Porsche curves, where he explains they fly in at around 180 mph and hold basically. Maximum I've ever seen or heard about was myself doing 155 and that was from paint to paint on the first turn. Then you get to the long sweeping right and you practically drop 2 gears to third but pulse on it at around 120.

Not dissing you but I've spent DAYS with the R10. Yes it's POS it is also the best LMP for racing in wet conditions. The 908 and ts020 have to high of torques and can not be properly adjusted to meet regs when they raced.
 
Well this turned into a bit of an F1 thread but it doesn't bother me..

I did just find that there will be a new (bit ironic however) Peugeot 908 HDi FAP, but it's an all carbon fiber prototype. I assume PD created it to be a competitor to the R18 proto, as they are the same. However, it is the 2010 model, not the 2011. Still the same year that the R18 was testing, but not the same year it was officially revealed.

In other news, there is a video created by Audi Sport about next years program. At the end, there is a quick flash of an LMP zooming by. Assumed to be the 2014 model, some say that it will hold the old R18 name, but with a new suffix. Wish I had the link but I bet it's out there somewhere on fortitude's site. Looks as if Porsche could be 14 seconds too late to beat the competition. Can't wait to see if the TS030 has anymore improvements from the previous years model.

I'll be taking note of Le Mans 2014. I'm not a fan of Porsche at all, except their prototypes. Le Mans and Porsche go together like cheese and onion and I'm looking forward to seeing if they can end Audi's dominance when they return to LMP1 after a lengthy hiatus. If they do I expect a full on track invasion!
 
Erm... The transmission was never fixed but rather messed up. It always had 6 gears and where the idea for only 5 came from is out of the question..

You can watch the video with Alan McNish doing a hot lap around Le Mans in it and describes speeds you would take into places. Most turns I'm off by 20-30 mph, especially the Porsche curves, where he explains they fly in at around 180 mph and hold basically. Maximum I've ever seen or heard about was myself doing 155 and that was from paint to paint on the first turn. Then you get to the long sweeping right and you practically drop 2 gears to third but pulse on it at around 120.

Not dissing you but I've spent DAYS with the R10. Yes it's POS it is also the best LMP for racing in wet conditions. The 908 and ts020 have to high of torques and can not be properly adjusted to meet regs when they raced.

I remember that I bought my G27 to do my first Le Mans in GT5. And I chose the 908. And rained for hours.

I've hurt my arms and became very frustrated with my torque management problems... :banghead::grumpy::mad:
 
Well, off topic but according to Sony, GT6 was supposed to be availalble for download 5/12/13. Load of rubbish, I've checked several times and it's still locked! I'm in UK.
 
Well, off topic but according to Sony, GT6 was supposed to be availalble for download 5/12/13. Load of rubbish, I've checked several times and it's still locked! I'm in UK.

I'm with my copy of the game stuck at work for eight hours...

Which is worse?
 
I remember that I bought my G27 to do my first Le Mans in GT5. And I chose the 908. And rained for hours.

I've hurt my arms and became very frustrated with my torque management problems... :banghead::grumpy::mad:

I do very well with the 908, have it max tuned to 929hp. I still lose out thogh sometimes online as I only have the DS3 controller. Seems a wheel is worth upto 5s per lap!
 
I'm with my copy of the game stuck at work for eight hours...

Which is worse?

No download. After 8 hours you can pop the disc in the drive. I still have to wait untill 6/12, even if it downloaded now.
 
They got the idea that it only had 5 gears because in real life it only had 5 gears.
Could've sworn that PD messed up on the gears on one of the R10 models.... I know I watched a YT review of the car..

I remember that I bought my G27 to do my first Le Mans in GT5. And I chose the 908. And rained for hours.

I've hurt my arms and became very frustrated with my torque management problems... :banghead::grumpy::mad:

My first race rained for 19 hours straight. I just hope with the new online system of p-q-r that we will see weather forecasts.
 
I always felt like the modern LMPs in GT5 were never quite right in the handling or braking stakes. You watch videos and see how they brake for the chicanes on Mulsanne, they're waiting practically right up to the point of turn-in, and are on the brakes for a couple of seconds max before getting right on the power again. In GT5 even with max downforce you have to brake way before the entry otherwise you're going off. And don't even get me started on the outrageous penalties you receive for taking the racing line through the chicanes..

They really ought to be able to brake and turn much faster than they can in GT5. They feel way too slow and sluggish. Hopefully the improved physics will help with this. But I can't help but feel this is one area where Forza probably edges GT.
 
the engine sound is the same from the Audi R10. RIDICULOUS !
 
Posted some pics because the thread title said I could.

City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg


City of Arts and Sciences - Night_1.jpg


City of Arts and Sciences - Night_2.jpg


Traveling at speeds of over 240 MPH at the Like The Wind event can be super scary, especially when you're the only LMP in the top 3, with the 4th place driver 15 seconds behind
Special Stage Route X.jpg


Special Stage Route X_2.jpg



Special Stage Route X_1.jpg
 
If I fully upgrade the turbo and drive it without aids, I'm hardly any faster than with the standard turbo. lol

I could not tune the oversteer out of it to save my life.
 
If I fully upgrade the turbo and drive it without aids, I'm hardly any faster than with the standard turbo. lol

I could not tune the oversteer out of it to save my life.

I was having a similar issue until I spent ages buggering about with the diff. Settled on 20/10/20, no tc, no tuning. The biggest problem is the >280KPH instability - the faster you go the more stable it should be with these cars. They really need to up the tyre grip and the downforce levels though, I'm only able to run laps similar to a current LMP2.

Edit: Here's a setup.

RH 55/75
SR 16.45/17.15
COMP 4/4
EXT 4/4
ARB 3/2
CAMBER 2.4/1.0
TOE 0.00/0.05
LSD 20/10/20
BB 5/2
GEAR 236
DF 600/675

No upgrades at all, just changed the oil. Watch out at really high speed as the stupid aero instability means it'll randomly turn by itself - I just avoid drafting anyone.
 
Last edited:
Back