Race drift racecar?

• Thread starter l2ev
  • 8 comments
Is anyone drifting a race car on unmixed racing tires?

edit: I have a 300zx that drifts on racing tires, but due to its lack of possible downforce, it gets destroyed in a race of racecars.

Pristine example of why you're allowed to save 3 settings to any car.

You can drift with racecars, but you should not race with drift cars. It just takes careful suspension and diff setup and a little bit of skill to deal with the greater than usual levels of grip.

so, How about race drifting race cars?

I have a '96 240sx that can outrun AI cars of the same horsepower (usually supercars) that drifts on S3s and one ('96 240 Japanese version) that can do it on S2s. My 300zx, however, proved to be a waste of time because the AI cars become race cars, and they stomp me no matter how fast I drive (thats a HP advantage + nitrous). Seems that I will have to make a drifting racecar to beat them. I know it is probably difficult, but it is something to do.

So it seems I am the first one to do it? Ill take credit because no one is going to respond to this...

I have a racecar drifting on race tires (R2s) and low downforce settings. It successfully was drifting deep forest, though with aggressive settings. I took the car to the autumn ring and attempted to make the settings a little less extreme. I did this successfully and I f'ed up its ability to drift at high speeds (I didn't think that one out too well). 🤬 Of course it would be too easy if I had the settings I needed to get this car going within one day.

Anyway on Autumn Ring, I ran a 1.13.1xx and averaging 1.15.xxx. The car is only a bit sketchy at the moment. While grip driving I was averaging low 1.14s but never lower. The grip settings were almost completely stock, but were on the same tires and same downforce. I'm sure with some minor adjustments I will match/surpass my drift lap. This also points out the flaws of drift vs. grip. A fast drift lap is a fluke on racing tires whereas in grip racing a fast lap may be followed by another.

I don't mean to be obnoxious or blunt, but I've tried wording this a few different ways and it seems there is no avoiding it, so here goes.

So it seems I am the first one to do it? Ill take credit because no one is going to respond to this...

l2ev, the game is three years old so I'll guarantee that you aren't, and a quick look at any number of videos (namely some of Sheron's, maybe a few of Ske's) would confirm this.

The reason no one is replying is because it's an old game on an old console, this section of the forum has been dead for months, and laptime discussion while drifting rarely been well received here even when the forum was still active outside of a few very special and highly structured competitions (that kinda stems back to an early incident involving Captain Trips, but I'll just leave it at that). People at large simply aren't doing it, don't care about it, or don't find it worth discussing anymore.

I don't mean to disuade others from posting here if they have something they want to contribute, I'm just taking away credit where its due ;)

If the only thing you're truly wanting to discuss here is drift times vs grip times, go visit the GT3 forums and check the Drift Faster Than Grip thread. After you've spent three days reading that, if you still have something you'd like to add I'll be all ears.

That is a good point. I have been away from the forums for too long. I thought the forums were just in an offseason since it used to be like that every once in a while before. I was just wondering if it was possible since I have accomplished everything else in the game and drift racing seems like the only thing left in the game that is fun. I have determined that it is in fact possible and I am running with LM cars. Eventually I will post a video.

edit: Since I don't have a PS3 I am practicing race drifting because I think I am at a limit in grip and I want to seriously **** on people when the online play begins =D

edit: Since I don't have a PS3 I am practicing race drifting because I think I am at a limit in grip and I want to seriously **** on people when the online play begins =D

In that case, a good barometer for your race drift pace might be the Weekly Race Series forums. Find an old event with a car/track you like and rather than grip, see where your race drift pace fits into the results. A quick lap gripping would actually have the tires slipping up to maybe 5° at times to get the most grip from them (depending on compound). I think it should be possible to get your times into the Div 2 range if you manage your angle well.

or, just for somewhere to start, give the bonus competition in this thread a try: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87663

o...there is a drifting series going woo! I will probably join the competition in general because I have been waiting for a drift comp. I just wanted a racecar that could drift at the pace of LM cars. I had tried before and never succeeded. I am sure it is possible in GT3. In GT3, I would drift cars on Super Soft Racing tires all the time with ease.

Thanks TankSpanker ;)

edit: Doh! I see that is closed. Anyway, when I have time I will try and see how many people I can get together for a D1GP style series. A few have expressed interest, but it is over such a large amount of time that I do not know how many participants we can get.

Back