Race Driver Grid

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 683 comments
England
Southampton, UK
Pebb--
Pebb
Source: Computer and Video Games

We were expecting some fairly bland images of cars on race courses, but instead Codemasters's latest racer bound for PS3, 360 and PC, will have you pulling nutty Fast and Furious-style drifts in city streets, as these sweet new screens show.

This is what we're all about - throwing the car's rear end out and powering round corners sideways while the screeching tyres kick up ludicrous amounts of smoke, just inches from the car in front. It looks like a more realistic Ridge Racer game.

The detail in the city environments looks brilliant and check out that motion blur.

Race Driver Grid, as it's now officially called, runs on the same engine as the stunning-looking Colin McRae Dirt, which should make for a pretty impressive damage system and some really nice lighting.

Also like in Dirt, Codemasters promises that Race Driver will pack a great variety of race types, including circuit and city racing in real-life settings, drift racing and illegal street racing in Japan.

Looks brill, as long as we don't see bikes and cars thrown into races together.

Screen Shots

screenshot_188409.jpg

screenshot_188408.jpg

screenshot_188407.jpg

screenshot_188406.jpg

screenshot_188405.jpg

screenshot_188404.jpg

Annoying thing is those screens are probably from the PS3, which I dont have, so I'll miss out on that goodness.

Annoying thing is those screens are probably from the PS3, which I dont have, so I'll miss out on that goodness.
Do not forget it is out on the PC and Xbox 360 as well.

Prefer Race Driver on a console.... have pondered getting a 360 for xmas tho...

New concept Camaro and concept Challenger in there. The graphics are looking outstanding!! I will get it for 360 when it comes out. 👍

Looks brilliant.

Count me in, GTPlanet. Can't waint to see how Online works this time out.

The graphics look great 👍, but i do worry about the continuing arcadieness of the game play, especially since drifting appears to play a big part in the content.

The ToCA/Race Driver series of games has always been a good 'race simulator' companion to Gran Turismo's 'driving simulator'. It looks like this version is heading down the Need for Speed alleyway. 👎

It looks like this version is heading down the Need for Speed alleyway. 👎

Erm, just because they are adding street racing? I doubt that Codemasters plans on butchering the physics engine so far as to make it an arcade game, especially since most of the other race types will remain.

The graphics look good but ffs, thats not a race driver...its an alternative to pro street and quite frankly that just sucks! Wheres the motorsport? Dissappointed.

The ToCA/Race Driver series of games has always been a good 'race simulator' companion to Gran Turismo's 'driving simulator'. It looks like this version is heading down the Need for Speed alleyway. 👎

I agree 100%, thats an alleyway it doesnt want to be going down, I think its safe to say goodbye ToCA, no wonder ToCA didnt want their name attatched to it.

Erm, just because they are adding street racing? I doubt that Codemasters plans on butchering the physics engine so far as to make it an arcade game, especially since most of the other race types will remain.

Why do you doubt that? Look at the screen of the Aston, how much lock is on the wheels, whats up with that?

Either way at least the european section sounds like it will come through unmolested in terms of what racing it has to offer and it sounds as though the Nordschleife may be appearing as RFT (codies person) over on the codies forum said that an old famous race track never featured in race driver will appear.

*sigh. We will all be buying this when it comes out. Race Driver needs something new anyway. It's their first attempt on console using a good engine established with Dirt(at least on PS3) so the one after this should be the bread and butter(2010?). It looks good and it has replays. First day buy for me.

*sigh. We will all be buying this when it comes out. Race Driver needs something new anyway. It's their first attempt on console using a good engine established with Dirt(at least on PS3) so the one after this should be the bread and butter(2010?). It looks good and it has replays. First day buy for me.

Agreed. Currently there are 7 racing games I plan on buying, and I already have a good number of racing games (almost half my library!). My mom thoroughly believes i'm insane. lol

Looks like a combination between PGR4 and NFS ProStreet to me.

If they left the physics engine alone it would still be an arcade game. The only "sim-like" part of the Race Driver series was the way it presented itself -- the physics were just as floaty and unrealistic as everything else Codemasters does.

Got the official xbox 360 mag on my lap and theres a couple of interesting bits (no scanner btw).

Firstly, talk of a flashback feature, if you crash, rather than restarting the race you can rewind a few seconds before the crash n tr again from there.
Secondly, theres a picture of a BMW 330i touring car with the wtcc livery with what looks like an Alfa behind it and a red LAcetti next to it going up Eau Rouge on Spa.
Thirdly, it will have the Le Mans 24 hours with day night changes.

Sounding a bit better with this new info.

Didnt realise the magazine had 3 pages on the game!:P

Theres a good bit on the career mode, il type it up from the mag:

OXM
GRIDS career mode is completely non linear, so as a rookie driver you can start building a life of your own choosing, first driving for existing teams to start earning money and enhancing your reputation.
As your progress, and the bags of cash start rolling in, you can set up your own team, enter more events, sign sponsorship deals and even hire a team-mate who will race alongside you, earning you extra money and team points through a season. If you discover he buckles like a belt under pressure, ruthlessly fire him and grab someone else from the 600 strong list of real and fictional drivers from around the world.

Sounds even better now. Was unsure at first but if this career mode works it could be good.

Oooo awesome, if you can race with existing teams first to build up your funds, I like those kinda features.

DAMNIT NEED A PS3 NOW!

Im not getting excited over the trailer, remember the TRD3 trailer? superb looking damage and intense racing, the reality was a huge letdown.

Im not getting excited over the trailer, remember the TRD3 trailer? superb looking damage and intense racing, the reality was a huge letdown.
Yep.

Same goes for Colin McRae 4, Colin McRae 2005 and Race Driver 1 and Race Driver 2. The preview shots for Codemasters games are always much better looking than the actual game itself. I actually enjoyed CMR4 and CMR5 very much, but if there's one thing I know is that Codemasters never lives up to the preview shots.

Its like they go, heres what it could look, here is what we can do...but we wont so hah!

Haha, yeah... but visually, I found Race Driver 2 and 3 impressive... so I'm sure GRID won't be much different.

Slackers...

IGN
Grid Preview
Codies brushes off the DiRT and hits the road.
by Ryan Geddes
March 3, 2008 - Continuing a trend that started with its 2007 release of DiRT, Codemasters' next racing effort shies away from both strict simulation and broad customization, a direction that places the emphasis on what the company feels the genre has been lacking of late: having fun with race cars.

We recently sat down with Codies to view a demo of Grid, the latest project in the works by the same team that developed DiRT. Although they don't name names, part of the Codies' marketing pitch for Grid includes a shot across the grill of the developers of Forza Motorsport 2 and Grand Turismo 5. The former, which owned the hardcore racing space in 2007, is a car collection fest with a deep livery creation system. The latter, due in 2008, is being touted as the king of all racing sims, appealing to die-hard digital gearheads.

Grid is being positioned on a different band of the racing spectrum. It's hardcore, but it's not an uptight sim. It has personalization, but not so much that it detracts from the core racing elements. There are cars galore, but you're not trying to catch 'em all. It's an attempt to both differentiate the brand as authentic and broaden its appeal to multiple markets.

Codemasters describes Grid as a racing game in which you build a career in what's supposed to feel like a persistent worldwide racing realm. You start off as a rookie drive for hire in America, Europe or Japan. As you win races, you'll be able to hire a teammate, create your own unique team identity and build up a small but focused stable of cars. Along the way, you'll attract sponsors and get to know the names of some of the more than 600 AI racers in the game, all of whom you'll have the ability to hire, fire and race against.

According to the Codemasters team, building your career in Grid is a non-linear experience. You can start in any region you want and build your reputation and bank account as you progress. At the beginning, you'll work out of a dingy garage. But by the time you've hired a teammate (you can only have one) and racked up sponsorships, your digs will improve to match your status in the industry.

But you won't be using your garage for much more than storage. If you're the type who loves to constantly spend your winnings on car upgrades a la Forza and Midnight Club, you'll be disappointed with Grid. The cars you buy are meant to be tuned and groomed to be the best-performing race cars at their level the minute they're delivered. You're a driver, not a mechanic. Aside from changing the paint job, what you see is what you get in Grid's stable of 50 cars.

But that doesn't mean you'll be stuck with stock cars. This ain't NASCAR, after all. We're talking the Aston Martin DBR9, Dodge Viper SRT-10, Mazda 787B and Audi R10 TDI -- the first diesel car ever to win the 24-hour Le Mans. You'll have the opportunity to attempt an Audi repeat, as Grid features a Le Mans race in which a minute represents an hour, resulting in a 24-minute-long race.

Each of Grid's three regions features different racing specialties. In Europe, you'll compete in events such as Le Mans and GT on both fictional and licensed tracks. In the US, you'll visit cities like Detroit and Long Beach for street races. In Japan, you'll get behind the wheel of iconic Japanese sports cars for drift racing.

As you race against AI opponents in all three regions, you'll start seeing familiar names. The idea, Codies says, is to take note of who's out-racing you and whose style complements your own. Then hire them on to gain an edge in a certain racing style. If drift isn't your best category, sign on a drift master to race with you, increasing your odds of winning. There's a "perpetual calendar" of races, too. So if you're having trouble in GT in France, head over to the US and run your Dodge for a bit.

There is a multiplayer component in Grid, but Codemasters isn't saying much about it yet. We were told it will support up to 12 racers online with very few restrictions on cars and tracks. We also know that the campaign mode is offline-only, and there's no co-op available there. A friend can't pop in as your teammate to help you finish a race, for example.

Grid uses Codemasters' own Ego engine, a step up from the Neon engine used to push DiRT. Codies says it has entirely re-written the damage code used in DiRT, too, making for persistent damage environments. If a fender falls off your Mitsubishi in lap one, you'll pass by in lap three. The same goes for piles of tires, chunks of debris and even competing cars.

If you choose the interior camera view as you race, you'll see it take damage too. At least you will if you race like we do. Nothing about the car damage is scripted, Codemasters told us, which should make for some interesting-looking cars at the end of an especially brutal Le Mans.

If you like to see things get smashed, you'll be happy to hear Codies is including a sophisticated replay system into Grid that will not only allow you to view your races afterward but will also let you rewind mid-race and pick up where you left off if you make an error. Apparently using the replay system in such a way comes with penalties though, such as possibly locking you out of achievements or preventing you from posting to leaderboards.

What we were shown of Grid looked sharp, although we didn't get a feel for what it would be like to progress through a career. We didn't see the car buying process, the race selection process or the teammate hiring process. We also didn't see a race start-to-finish, which made it hard to get a feel for Grid's overall attitude. But menus were well-designed, and the cars looked nice.

Of course, a racing game is impossible to assess until you get behind the wheel, something we still haven't done with Grid. But Codies seems to be hitting the sweet spot that lurks somewhere between Forza 2's bland environments and collection-based mechanic; Burnout Paradise's over-the-top antics; PGR4's drift-centrism; and the looming shadow of GT5's photorealism fest.

Grid is scheduled for a simultaneous June release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Nintendo DS.

Back